MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U bitcrusher or rate reducer or similar effect?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5U bitcrusher or rate reducer or similar effect?
theinnerpalm
Does such a thing exist??
rezzn8r
Modcan CV Recorder does bit reduction
mome rath
+

Guinness ftw!
dude
sorry for this, but it's called sample and hold. audio signal to be sampled/rate reduced to sample in. audio rate wave (preferably square) into clock in. and voila, out you get a bit crushed version of your original signal from the sample out socket which can be controlled by how high/fast the clock signal is.

cheers

of course there are other ways to do this too. modcan, doepfer and probably others...
parasitk
There was that 5U version of the Geiger Counter too... I haven't heard anything about that in a while though.
dude
just use any s/h, you will not be disappointed. a track and hold like the oakley one is really cool too! the modcan quantizer or any quantizer with clock in should work as well. many ways to skin this cat!
parasitk
Yeah the audio rate S&H is very cool as well! thumbs up
zerosum
I believe work on the 5U geiger counter starts this year,
If your interested, post feedback/requests in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9222&start=0
nerdware
The C806-WAVE-CRUSH will do the job. It should work in a dotcom system, altho the panel won't use the Moog style.
Quote:
A square signal is being divided into 8 partitions. The level of each partition is adjustable.
- the square signal can be generated by an internal CV-LFO or by an external signal at the EXT-IN.
- adjustable control voltage input CV-IN
- SPEED control
- Multiple 1x5
price: 185.00 EUR (incl. 19% VAT)
rezzn8r
dude wrote:
audio signal to be sampled/rate reduced to sample in. audio rate wave (preferably square) into clock in. and voila, out you get a bit crushed version of your original signal from the sample out socket which can be controlled by how high/fast the clock signal is.

played with this idea a little after work today. pretty good results with a fast LFO to the clock in, better results with a VCO to the clock in, wicked results feeding the source 1volt/Oct signal to the VCO clocking the S&H.
thanks, dude! Guinness ftw!
dude
indeed! it is way better than trying to find a dedicated bit crusher imo. as you can make it cv'able quite easily depending on your choice of in's. this wasn't my trivk btw. i had a simila or maybe even more frantic search for bit crushing when i first started and somebody hipped me to that patch. great fucking patch!
Kendall Station
parasitk wrote:
Yeah the audio rate S&H is very cool as well! thumbs up

werded.
theinnerpalm
anyone have a clip with audio rate sample and holding??? thanks for all the tips guys smile
dude
i'll try tp put one up , but the next few days are seriously busy. i really recommend just trying it!
theinnerpalm
my modular has a whopping 2 modules right now grin updating soon
dude
oh, sorry bout that. i wrongly assumed you were being lazy. you know what they say about assumptions. smack!

so do you have any requests as to what exactly you would like to hear crushed?
rezzn8r
here is a little bit crushin' just fer you 8_)

mp3 fades in and out of the following;
1. Square Wave (source)
2. SW in/out of S&H with Modcan 61B LFO on clock
3. with Blacet VCO on clock
4. with Zerocillator on clock
5. SW in/out Modcan 57B CV Recorder

I used my Modcan 07B for the S&H. With the LFO or the Blacet I found the range of control to be limited. Only a small range of the pot is usable. The Zero, with its 10 turn tuning pot allowed much more control. The 57B kicks ass.

If I had an I/O, I would have used a voice, or something more dynamic for the source, but a square wave will have to do for now.
dude
i am off the hook! that is, unless someone makes a specific request.
theinnerpalm
awesome samples smile anyone have a drum loop crushed in this manner? I'm prolly going to have my modular used with send/returns in ableton for live performance applause
theinnerpalm
and yes, the 57B is absurd sounding we're not worthy
bwhittington
Thanks for the great patching tip, Liam!

Rockin' Banana!

Cheers,
Brian
dude
again i can't take credit. i have to think whenever these simple type patches come up, how many millions of things am i overlooking?
rezzn8r
theinnerpalm wrote:
awesome samples smile anyone have a drum loop crushed in this manner? I'm prolly going to have my modular used with send/returns in ableton for live performance applause

I realized that when I did the last demo that I didn't use a square for the ZO. I mistakenly connected the clock to the ZO morph 0 set to tri.
d'oh!
So here is a 606 through a S&H with the ZO properly configured for clock duties. Way more bottom end range with a square.

The Zero's frequency descends throughout the clip. The muted effect is the smooth on the S&H. There is a clean sample of the 606 loop at the end.

cheers
rezzn8r
but if you really want your modular to mangle drums, this is the way to go...thanksJLR!! Awsome pics!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8072

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

the bearbones kit from flight is super easy to put together we're not worthy
Soy Sos
Good examples rezzn8r,
I kept saying I would put up a demo soon but never got around to it.
I was using S+H for that kind of stuff all the time when I first picked up my A-148. S+H is a really useful technique for all kinds of stuff. No system should be with out it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1