MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

808 hihat clone PCB set
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 808 hihat clone PCB set
falafelbiels
Hi guys,

Some of you may have noticed my 808 snare clone PCB sets which have been doing alright. To follow up on that, there are now hihats as well.
they go tsk tsk tsk tsssss.

I have ordered a very small batch today so some will soon be available again.
this is the place that you can find the BOM for it and stuff like that.

The beast is working on some aluminum panels for this too...

And they came in today

these and the kicks and snares are now available from Synthcube:

klik

BOM is good now...
tekzon
Hi,
would you detail a little for me,
a little video or audio sample,
your prices, if you'd be open to
make full kits...? etc.
Thanks a lot
falafelbiels
Hi Tekzon,

Sure, here is a little demo on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/falafel-biels/hihat-demo
It also features my 808 snar clone and a Barton Analog Drum as a kick.

I am selling PCBs for €25,- per set. A set contains the voiceboard and the panelcomponentboard, which holds some extra circuitry for proper triggering and accenting, ie comparators and logic gates and such.
The circuit on the voiceboard is taken from Eric Archers' schematic, with a few alterations in componentvalues for reasons of easier avalabilty (pots and associated parts)

There are no hard to find components in there so I am not very inclined to do full kits. I am considering stocking the "go" buttons though, because it is the part that people tell me is somewhat less easy to get by.
tekzon
Hey!
thanks for the quick answer,
there's no pitch, right?
falafelbiels
Nope, only decay...
falafelbiels
Got some new boards in!
amdagan
@falafelbiels: I like your stuff, and also your panels - including those for your own PCBs and also those you've made for other PCBs and shown in the "show us your DIY builds" thread (iirc you recently made panels for some Michael barton pcbs)
Do you have any spare panels that you'd be willing to sell off? (for this or any other project)
falafelbiels
Hi Amdagan,

Thank you, I love doing this shit!
I don't have anything in the way of spare panels for projects other than my own stuff. plenty of kick snare and hihat panels laying around my house though. Don't know if they should be called spare or surplus or just in the way.

anyhoo, like I did earlier with another kind person, I'd suggest you look around in your neighbourhood if they have any makerspaces where you could make use of any lasercutter. learn some skills, be a prouder wiggler.

Edit: oh I'll sell you panels if you want by the way...
falafelbiels
It seems the BOM isn't very exact.
Don't look for the 160k on the board. It's not there, only on the BOM and it shouldn't be there either.

And I have my numbers of capacitors somewhat mixed up. The BOM says 1x 1,5n and 8x 1n. This should be 1x 1n and 8x 1,5n. I believe...

After the weekend I wil build up another one and revise the BOM.

Anyhoo, the BOM is wrong in some places, the PCB labeling is right.

EDIT:

the BOM is edited and good now...
falafelbiels
Received some panels from forummember julian today (The Beast)

falafelbiels
these and the kicks and snares are now available from Synthcube:

klik
timpecter
I'm having a hard time sourcing the 18nF caps - are 15nF or 22nF acceptable substitutes?
khakifridge
timpecter wrote:
I'm having a hard time sourcing the 18nF caps - are 15nF or 22nF acceptable substitutes?

Tayda!
falafelbiels
I have built several with 15n, they work.
timpecter
Good to know, thank you!
timpecter
Hm, I'm not getting any sound from this one - any clues where I should begin debugging?

EDIT: SORTED

Sounds great!
falafelbiels
Cool!

So what was the problem?
timpecter
I'm not sure, it just started working! I think there must have been a bit of loose solder or a metal clipping shorting something.
falafelbiels
Those are the most interesting problems. Those that fix themselves, for how long though...................?

I thought maybe it was the 15n caps hihi
duff
I have built a pair of snares and a pair of bd's and now have a pair of hats to build up. These are all going into one box so for the db and snare I have build a straight clone and used the suggested variations on the other.

For the hats there aren't any suggestions on the bom. Can I tweak the caps in the filter say, or change the noise transistor, or anything else to provide a subtle variaion? If so, which components, and what options are there?

Thanks
falafelbiels
Tweak away, i'd say the caps and resitors aroud the hex schmitt trigger are likely candidates for altering the overall sound. Of course the two 3n3 caps mear the dual opamp and the 40106 that are part of the bandpass filter should be messed with...

Furthermore it is just logic, envelopes and VCAs. Nothing more that actually alters the tone.
duff
falafelbiels wrote:
Tweak away, i'd say the caps and resitors aroud the hex schmitt trigger are likely candidates for altering the overall sound. Of course the two 3n3 caps mear the dual opamp and the 40106 that are part of the bandpass filter should be messed with...

Furthermore it is just logic, envelopes and VCAs. Nothing more that actually alters the tone.

Thanks, I will have a play see if can I avoid killing it!
falafelbiels
Try tacking on caps to the solderside of the board to make it a bit easier on yourself.

Like so:

Right here I added 3n3 caps to the 15n ones (that are in there because I had no 18n available). I believe there is a subtle difference, a bit more hissy hiss seriously, i just don't get it
While i was at it, i replaced the 3n3 caps for the filter with 2n2, much brighter now. I will keep it that way for a while.
skylab76
Just wanted to say kudos to falafelbiels. This thing rocks. I may add a passive tone control even though it sounds awesome as is. Next is the snare 8 smile
falafelbiels
skylab76 wrote:
Just wanted to say kudos to falafelbiels. This thing rocks. I may add a passive tone control even though it sounds awesome as is. Next is the snare 8 smile

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3