MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help planning a Blacet+Bugbrand 2 rack starter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Help planning a Blacet+Bugbrand 2 rack starter
startrekker77
I was hoping to get some opinions on setting up a system comprising of something like the Blacet Classic Rack with another rack of Bugbrand modules. I hope to be able to eventually have a predominantly Bugbrand system over time. Does anyone have any opinions on which modules would be a good place to start. I was partially choosing the classic rack as a starting point so I can make some noise as Bugbrand modules are completed....so I guess I am saying Im not against choosing other Blacet modules if anyone has some suggestions.
Thanks for the help!
Sorry if this should have been in with the Bugbrand....first time poster.
startrekker77
On the BugBrand side I'm kinda partial to the Syn1,ENV1, PRC2,PRC3a,PRC4, CTL1,UTL2 and UTLX but am looking for other points of view.
Thanks
Cat-A-Tonic
Are you building the Blacet from kits or buying ready built?

Are you planning on converting the Blacets to banana,
or hoping to get the BugBrand in 3.5mm jack?

If you are getting an 11FU BugBrand rack (or building a DIY case) of that width...
I would recommend the following:
- CTL1 v2
- Syn1 Weevil
- PRC1 PT Delay
- PRC4 Dual LPG
- Env1 Attack Decay
- PRC2 Bug Crusher
- UTL5 Fade/Pan
and either
- PRC3A SV Filter
or
- DD3 VCA/Drive

UTL4 DC Mixer would be a good idea down the road too.

Personally, I wouldn't select the Blacet 'classic rack', as the ideal pairing to this BugBrand selection.
However, if you are going to be waiting for a considerable amount of time and can only make noise with one rack of Blacet, then the 'classic' is a decent selection.

If you want the BugBrand SV Filter you might not need the Blacet Filthy Filter (although I don't have any experience with the Blacet).
Or maybe the other way around.
I don't think you need more than one state variable filter when you are starting out with a smallish setup.

As an initial Blacet Rack to pair with the BugBrand I'd probably go with:
- Binary Zone
- Window Comparator
- VCO
- Mini-Wave
and either
- EG1
or
- DAD
& Micro LFO
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
As an initial Blacet Rack to pair with the BugBrand I'd probably go with:
- Binary Zone
- Window Comparator
- VCO
- Mini-Wave
and either
- EG1
or
- DAD
& Micro LFO

As much as I love the Micro... I'd say go with the EG-1, not just for the ADSR but it can be a VC Slew & do a few other neat tricks, whereas the DAD & Micro overlap with a few of Toms modules.

But Cat-A-Tonics suggestion would be my choice for a Blacet Starter Rack... no mono synth about it but you'll be having plenty of fun!
Cybananna
If I remember correctly, Tom is only making banana format now so plan on having all bugbrand or lots of 3.5mm to banana converters.
BugBrand
Sorry to take a while to get in a reply!

Yeah, firstly important to note the probable lack of minijacks for the near future (this *may* change but I've said many times how much bananas rule) and I know you're aware of the still limited availability of my modules! But, of course, these new production techniques are hopefully going to have some good impacts over the coming months.

Cat-a-tonic is certainly very well placed to comment as he's been one of the very few minijack testers (and has been a great help in the development!) and he also knows his blacet well! (I don't unfortunately)

I think there are two parts to consider:
i) Banana vs minijack -- personally I don't know if I'd like a mixed system though there certainly are options for interface -- I should be offering a redone UTLX interface before too long and also can have my arm twisted perhaps to make some simple banana to minijack cables (this can be done easy because the two racks would be grounded). As you know banana is certainly my focus.

ii) what sort of a system you're after. The Classic Rack is definitely more influenced by traditional synthesis (keyboard approach) than my works -- I'm much more into the kind of Buchla/Serge 'system' approach and I think this is highlighted in my choice of module designs and their approaches. Wonder also if you'd be looking at synthesis/generation or processing of external signals..

It may also be worth wondering, as the others have said, about crossover areas between my designs and the blacet ones - I tend to make things quite compact (which obviously won't work for everyone) - certainly not saying that Blacet are bulky, but I do have quite a standardised 1FW layout and many designs aim to fit into this size. In developing the initial ranges I've been keen to try to cover many utility bases in single frac units - and that also shows in the smattering of DD modules which have two simple (and sometimes linked) functions so you can cram a load into a limited space!

Hope that helps a bit -- I'll whack you over an email too.
Cheers!
DGTom
BugBrand wrote:
i) Banana vs minijack -- personally I don't know if I'd like a mixed system though there certainly are options for interface --

I guess I'm able to comment on that.... for me, it doesn't work; you can have two seperate systems that you run side by side, but, criss-crossing between the two is really frustrating, so, unless both systems are pretty much self contained... I don't think it works, or, at least, it didn't for me.

I only have a handfull of modules (Frac & Euro) left to banana-fy & every time I remove a mini-jack I get a little more excited hyper
Cat-A-Tonic
DGTom wrote:
BugBrand wrote:
i) Banana vs minijack -- personally I don't know if I'd like a mixed system though there certainly are options for interface --

I guess I'm able to comment on that.... for me, it doesn't work; you can have two seperate systems that you run side by side, but, criss-crossing between the two is really frustrating, so, unless both systems are pretty much self contained... I don't think it works, or, at least, it didn't for me.

I only have a handfull of modules (Frac & Euro) left to banana-fy & every time I remove a mini-jack I get a little more excited hyper

My primary reason for sticking with 3.5mm jacks is that they are supported by such a large variety of manufacturers.
I like to mix and match.
Some designs seem somewhat impractical to bananafy due to parallel PCB depth with PCB mounted pots
... and the potential impact to resale value.
Has anyone tried bananafying Cwejman, for example?

The thought of having separate (difficult to integrate) systems rubs me the wrong way.
However, I don't think Ken Stone-style 3.5mm jack to banana converter plugs would be that difficult to work with.

I sincerely hope that BugBrand releases all future designs in 3.5mm jacks as well as banana.
If not, I may consider changing my tune about the mini vs. banana matter.
I do love BugBrand!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1