MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Werkstatt 01 Eurorack Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Moog Werkstatt 01 Eurorack Module
DSC
***Update***

Reworked this mod to fit more inline with the existing Moog Eurorack aesthetic.

***Original Post***

Well, you knew someone was going to do it. So I guess that would be me.

Youtube:
http://youtu.be/pIApZ31-VUM

Went kinda crazy with the details, but I guess that is to be expected.
Mercutio
DIY or Moog new unit ?

Interresting anyway !
r1n9o
Brilliant!
ikkini
SlayerBadger!
windspirit
Seriously considering doing this, looks like a custom panel tho
kuxaan-sum
Sounds pretty killer....AND that ten turn pot = HolyShit!!!
DSC
Thanks guys, I guess it just made a lot of sense to me.
I have more pics and advice if anyone heads down this path. Pretty self explanatory, but there were a couple of hang ups.
windspirit
Maybe you should do like a little instruction thingy? Also did you get that panel custom made? I bet we could get a group buy together for something like that. Even getting 10 people would make a difference
sonicmayhem
OMG! I want this NOW!!!!!!!
sonicmayhem
And yes, share a bit more detail on how you create such a beauty!! Come on man, sharing is carrringggg wink)
windspirit
Does it use a unipolar supply? I was thinking about this today and would almost rather have it as a standalone unit but with 3.5mm jacks instead of those wire jumoers as a patchbay and save precious hp.
DSC
Yes unipolar supply. Pull from the +12V rail. It is a bit power hungry. I have not taken actual meter reading's, but it has to be over 500mA. Here is a shot from behind the panel. Adding the ten turn pot was a bit of a challenge as you can see. I had to move the cap for the -9V rail and flip it to the other side. the two trim pots below the power connector are for the +/- octave switch. Essentially giving you the ability to trim both. The additional TL074 is to boost up the outs and also for voltage followers for the raw pulse and saw outs. The trimpots under the IC are for adjusting amp levels for the main outs. Power protection diodes and yeah of course you need to saw off the keyboard.

Here is one of the spare rosewood button switch caps. This was an extra one.

Details on the panel. The entire panel was made in house. I have full CNC metal capabilities as well as a full screen-printing facility in my basement. The total size is 45hp with the traditional bent flanges on the sides. I went for the original authentic look. Without those you could save 1hp and it would be 44hp. I have vector drawings of the art and panel that I am more than willing to share. I could do a run of these, but I would need a minimum of 10 pieces in order to make it worth the time. I did not powder coat the black. I used a two part black epoxy ink and added a lot of flattening powder. It can stand some abuse, but not as much as powder coat. If you know of any MU guys, you can hear it from them first hand that sometimes their panels cost more than the electronics. And for good reason. There is a lot of love in these panels.

If after all of this you guys are not scared off I can take pics of the keyboard and show you EXACTLY how and where to do surgery. Takes a bit of guts to cut into a Moog junior doctors, but with a little direction it is easy to do. Learned a lot of by doing this too. FYI these are four layer PCB's! Two ground planes. That is part of the secret for such a low noise floor. Special attention has to be given to the cut after you make it. I can go into more detail, but I have a feeling I will be hearing crickets after this post, but maybe not.

hihi
sonicmayhem
haha awesome! Not scared!

Should be easy to get more then 10 orders in. Count me in for sure!!!
DSC
sonicmayhem wrote:
haha awesome! Not scared!

Should be easy to get more then 10 orders in. Count me in for sure!!!

That's encouraging. If you look at the total HP and then realize what you are getting for that HP. VCO, VCF(Classic ladder filter), VCA and envelope I think it is worth it. Plus for the most part you really don't need to do a whole lot of diode protection as this was built with +/-9V in mind, so pretty safe. You of course could add diodes if you are extremely anal and I could help those who wanted too.

Really I also can't deal with another small electronic synth box. No I mean literally. It feels like the Tribbles episode from the original Star Trek series. The trouble with Tribbles, look it up and tell me that's not how you feel about little black boxes invading your entire desktop. If I see another little black box I am either going to rack mount it or hit it with my hockey stick....nuff said.

sonicmayhem
lol!! What about those of us who own a werkstatt but lack the know how to do this. I mean would you be down to custom build a few of those for a fee? smile
DSC
Yeah, I'd be down to build a few. I could build six and sell four extra panels, or build four and sell the extra six panels. I would not do any more than this though. Too many demands on my time, but I really loved how this turned out and I know there are several of you guys who would love to have the original ladder filter in your rack, so I'm down. Curious to see more people respond before I get serious and calculate price. So any interest in 'build' or 'panel' only at this point? Can't really dilly dally on this though. Not sure the Werkstatt is going to hang around. I can confirm this too.
sonicmayhem
I would be def be interested in a full build. I suppose i 'could' do it myself but alas you seem to know your shit so heh, why not! Make it worth your time and everyone wins. smile Just remember to put me on the top of your list, haha! wink
biologik
Yes! I don't think I'd cut into this baby myself, but I'd be happy to mail mine to you for some euroracking TLC! grin
windspirit
Id love a panel, i own a hacksaw so ill build it myself Dead Banana
ben_hex
Is the vco exp input 1v/oct?

What are we talking for a full build all in?
sonicmayhem
I dont think there is a price yet. I just asked him like 3 hours ago....
ben_hex
I know there isn't sonicmayhem. Just asking to show my interest. As that revolves completely around the price for me. thumbs up
sonicmayhem
Yep. I think its so awesome! I'd gladly pay up for this. smile Rockin' Banana! nanners
r1n9o
I'd pay just to have it documented! Great work, worth spreading the knowledge!
applause
DSC
Thank you for the nice comments.

As far as the DIY possibility, I'm a little concerned no one has inquired to more detail about the switch caps. These are not just decorative. There is method to my madness. Once you de-solder the existing plastic shaft pots and replace with all metal shaft Alps pots you raise the panel from the PCB by a full eighth of an inch. Rendering no access to the slide switches. I decided on a creative and aesthetic approach to this problem by carving them out of rosewood. I say carving as opposed to cutting, because you can't cut rosewood. In my experience it is harder than aluminum. I needed a very dense hardwood that could stand up to the rigors of constant finger use. Also Rosewood becomes softer to the touch with more use. Think fret-boards of guitars. These are generally made with rosewood.

So for a DIY option I would need to provide the panel and the switch caps. Based on time to build these I'm estimating the cost for just this would be around $200.00. Realize there is a little fitting work that will need to be done as these would be rough cut rosewood caps and you may need to do some light sanding to achieve a perfect fit and feel.

I know there is a lot going on here, but there was reasoning for it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5