MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MATHS retrigger job
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author MATHS retrigger job
Mr White
spinning off from another thread for our own pleasure...

how could you get MATHS to retrigger/loop/cycle like M10?

goal is to make it retrigger as long as a gate lasts high.
I would be happy to avoid spilling that liter of blood for a CTG-VC so please shoot any patching suggestion guys! help
Yohda
You need a VCA and a mixer : send the Trigger of your keyboard to one input of the mixer, the mixer output to the Trigger In of the Maths.

Then send the EOC to the VCA Input, the VCA output in the 2nd input of the mixer and the Gate from your keyboard to the VCA CV In.

I think this will work for any envelop with EOC.
golana
Cool question.

Cool answer!

But with a basic midi-cv interface [I'm using either dark-energy or bass-station for that] I don't have any separate trigger when a note is played, only cv and gate.
So I assume I'd have to generate a trigger out of the gate signal, maybe with a very short envelope?
Yohda
Salut Golona!
Quote:

So I assume I'd have to generate a trigger out of the gate signal, maybe with a very short envelope?

Yes, I think that might do the trick.
Mr White
what that fuck Yohda, it works!

respect for ya my friend!
Yohda
Cool!

Chugging Beers
Mr White
I used an EG to generate the trig, works fine.

I'm surprised to have'nt catched the wiring at first, so simple that I'd missed the VCA need totally..
rechner7
what about doepfers logic module? gate AND EOC in a logic sense might work?

edit: hmmm - another try - this should work:
VCA = AND
MIXER = OR

ie.
1st logic unit: keyboard gate AND EOC
2nd logic unit: keyboard trigger OR 'AND output of unit one' -> maths input

ps: i am waiting for the maths This is fun!
makenoise
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
spinning off from another thread for our own pleasure...

how could you get MATHS to retrigger/loop/cycle like M10?


Yohda's example is perfect.

Here is another similar patch that does not use a VCA.

Set MATHS to cycle, apply Gate signal to MATHS CH. 2, patch CH. 2 OUT to MATHS Signal IN (same channel that is cycling).

MATHS will cycle UNTIL a Gate is applied, at which point it will set (like an offset) at the level determined by the CH. 2 attenuator (must be set to at least NOON, so no inversion).

It is a fun patch for controlling modulation.
If you only need a squared output (for clocking or triggering another envelope generator), then you do not even need the CH. 2 portion of the patch, just apply the gate directly to the Signal IN.

Cheers,

Tony
Navs
Great patch 8_)

Is there a way to get Maths to generate bursts/ trills like the M10/ CTG-VC?

In the above example Maths loops when gated, but I often use my M10, and now CTG-VC, for the effect you can hear in the second part of this recording.

Is this possible with Maths?
Mr White
Navs wrote:
Great patch 8_)

Is there a way to get Maths to generate bursts/ trills like the M10/ CTG-VC?

In the above example Maths loops when gated, but I often use my M10, and now CTG-VC, for the effect you can hear in the second part of this recording.

Is this possible with Maths?


I hope so...
makenoise
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
Navs wrote:
Great patch 8_)

Is there a way to get Maths to generate bursts/ trills like the M10/ CTG-VC?

In the above example Maths loops when gated, but I often use my M10, and now CTG-VC, for the effect you can hear in the second part of this recording.

Is this possible with Maths?


I hope so...


I hear alot of great things in that audio clip. What is the patch you use to achieve the "trills."

Tony
Mr White
makenoise wrote:
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
spinning off from another thread for our own pleasure...

how could you get MATHS to retrigger/loop/cycle like M10?


Yohda's example is perfect.

Here is another similar patch that does not use a VCA.

Set MATHS to cycle, apply Gate signal to MATHS CH. 2, patch CH. 2 OUT to MATHS Signal IN (same channel that is cycling).

MATHS will cycle UNTIL a Gate is applied, at which point it will set (like an offset) at the level determined by the CH. 2 attenuator (must be set to at least NOON, so no inversion).

It is a fun patch for controlling modulation.
If you only need a squared output (for clocking or triggering another envelope generator), then you do not even need the CH. 2 portion of the patch, just apply the gate directly to the Signal IN.

Cheers,

Tony


coolness for using maths alone Tony, that's what I was searching for! we're not worthy
but I get a little bleed due to the needed "almost noon" ch2...
makenoise
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
makenoise wrote:
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
spinning off from another thread for our own pleasure...

how could you get MATHS to retrigger/loop/cycle like M10?


Yohda's example is perfect.

Here is another similar patch that does not use a VCA.

Set MATHS to cycle, apply Gate signal to MATHS CH. 2, patch CH. 2 OUT to MATHS Signal IN (same channel that is cycling).

MATHS will cycle UNTIL a Gate is applied, at which point it will set (like an offset) at the level determined by the CH. 2 attenuator (must be set to at least NOON, so no inversion).

It is a fun patch for controlling modulation.
If you only need a squared output (for clocking or triggering another envelope generator), then you do not even need the CH. 2 portion of the patch, just apply the gate directly to the Signal IN.

Cheers,

Tony


coolness for using maths alone Tony, that's what I was searching for! we're not worthy
but I get a little bleed due to the needed "almost noon" ch2...



If you skip CH. 2 portion of the patch, and instead use CH. 1 and 4 you will get alot more flexibility AND no offset when the cycling is stopped.

Set MATHS CH. 1 to cycle, apply Gate signal to MATHS Signal IN (same channel that is cycling).

MATHS will cycle UNTIL a Gate is applied.

Patch MATHS EOR to Trigger IN MATHS CH. 4.
Set CH. 1 for rate of repeat, set CH. 4 for slope of the generated function, keeping in mind that if the Rise or Fall times are longer then the rate of repeats, then you will get either skipped triggers or retriggers.

Take output from CH. 4

A good variation of this patch:
If you set CH. 1 to NOT Cycle, then you will have a delayed Envelope Generator. Use CH. 4 Trigger IN for AR, or Signal IN for ASR.

Tony
Navs
makenoise wrote:
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
Navs wrote:
Great patch 8_)

Is there a way to get Maths to generate bursts/ trills like the M10/ CTG-VC?

In the above example Maths loops when gated, but I often use my M10, and now CTG-VC, for the effect you can hear in the second part of this recording.

Is this possible with Maths?


I hope so...


I hear alot of great things in that audio clip. What is the patch you use to achieve the "trills."

Tony


Well, bugger me ... it works! hyper

Chianti Trills

The trick is to use channel 4 i.e. the EOCycle rather than EORise.

As per Yohda's suggestion I used a mixer/ VCA, but I think Rechner7 is right: a logic module would be better: when I lengthen the decay time in the example, you can hear some 'flamming' where the gates overlap.

The patch is simple: an LFO clocks a sequencer and A-160/161 clk div/ seq. The main gate is sent to channel one of a VCA-4MX and the EOC to channel two. This is gated by the division output of your choice from the A-160/161 combo.
Navs
Or, you can add a Wogglebug into the mix to CV Maths' 'both' input, transpose the sequence and use its burst out to generate random trills:

Pills, Trills & Wogglecake Woggle Bug

I think you can guess what tomorrow's Patch of the Day is going to be wink
dkcg
Navs wrote:
Or, you can add a Wogglebug into the mix to CV Maths' 'both' input, transpose the sequence and use its burst out to generate random trills:

Pills, Trills & Wogglecake Woggle Bug

I think you can guess what tomorrow's Patch of the Day is going to be wink


Sweet patch!
Human Koala
knowledge dropped in this thread we're not worthy
Navs
dkcg wrote:
Sweet patch!


Thanks! I imagine this patch would sound barmy with a 4MS RCD ...

... don't you have one of those? wink
rechner7
as always: great demo thumbs up
Mr White
Navs wrote:
Or, you can add a Wogglebug into the mix to CV Maths' 'both' input, transpose the sequence and use its burst out to generate random trills:

Pills, Trills & Wogglecake Woggle Bug

I think you can guess what tomorrow's Patch of the Day is going to be wink


hey navs, this patch is exactly what makes my ass bleed! cant wait to go home to try that chianti thrills!

tanks Tony for the precious suggestion & of course this AWESOMNESS of module maths is! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Mr White
great job navs!
Navs
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
great job navs!


No problem - I'm totally chuffed myself that it works!

BTW just tried the patch with my VCS ... thumbs up

Also, I replaced the VCA-4MX with an A-134-2 VC XFader in the patch.
This helps to tidy up the flamming somewhat, as the main gate is 'pushed out of the way' when you want the EOC pulse to take priority.

Has anyone tried this with an AND gate to hear if it is 'cleaner'?

Thanks for starting the thread and for the tips from Yohda, Tony & Rechner7!
Mr White
thanks to you for the support!

I'm tangling into patching a bit much now, but I'm still having some problems, gate looks inverted here, and I'm not able to get it working as it should with Tony's suggestion...
anselmi
applause

Navs I love your demos! the thrill thing is something I´m looking for

thank you and mr. white for initiate the thread
DGTom
Navs wrote:
Has anyone tried this with an AND gate to hear if it is 'cleaner'?


I just replaced the VCA in your patch with an AND gate... I also swapped the mixer out for an XOR gate, works great!! Really nice patch, thanks Navs... grin
Navs
DGTom wrote:
Really nice patch, thanks Navs... grin


Cheers! But the credit goes to Yohda we're not worthy
mark_snipz
Great patch! Got there eventually...
DGTom
Navs wrote:
DGTom wrote:
Really nice patch, thanks Navs... grin


Cheers! But the credit goes to Yohda we're not worthy


we're not worthy indeed! Sorry Yohda... it would seem after patching away my ability to read had been destroyed MY ASS IS BLEEDING

woah omfgwtf!! No-one said I'd guy blind... but its sooo much fun!
johnnymad
this thread rocks! SlayerBadger! i was trying to use maths to create some kick drum rolls and some of these tips might just help me do it. thanks to everyone who has contributed patch ideas!
Veqtor
Navs wrote:
use its burst out to generate random trills

how do you mean?
Navs
Veqtor wrote:
how do you mean?


The WB's clock out (red LED) becomes your 'main' gate and the burst (yellow LED) your trill gate.

Both still need to be patched to a VCA/ Mixer or Logic gate.

If you find the WB's burst to be a bit too frenetic, you could patch it to a clock divider before the mixer/ VCA etc. to tame the trills smile
Mr White
...I have to say that retrigger trick with that separate log/expo trick for rise and fall (Navs suggested love ) I'm going crazy with maths as my centerpiece for hours!
couple this module with a WB and a QMMG and you're done for extreme experimentations with only 3 modules!
...was even thinking of a third maths here because everytime I approach on them with a patchcable I find their holes all filled...

long life to makenoise!!!!
mudlogger
Just bumping this tread because it is absolute gold.

we're not worthy
regenbot
mudlogger wrote:
Just bumping this tread because it is absolute gold.

we're not worthy


thanks for bumping screaming goo yo
citric acid
hi Navs,

your demo mp3 are offline, is there a chance that you reupp them.
thx
jeannot
yeah this thread is short, but gold. It'd be nice to create a sticky with these types of threads in it, indispensable info, etc.

EDIT: We do have a sort of sticky like this in Modular Synth General Discussion
Navs
citric acid wrote:
hi Navs,

your demo mp3 are offline, is there a chance that you reupp them.
thx


I know, I really need to get another server sorted soon very frustrating

A quick fix, for the sake of posterity of a classic thread:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/navs/pills-trills-wogglecake[/s]

http://soundcloud.com/navs/pills-trills-wogglecake

And the patch details: http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2010/01/patch-of-day-maths-trills.h tml
citric acid
navs: ok thanks....now im know what all talking about..im also verry interested in recreat it..hope im not to stupid to doo it..the modules are still in my rack :-)

the best thing will be ...that you will give some workshops ..i will be the first to book a place :-)
talkboxert
great thread! Rockin' Banana! maths keeps on suprising....
Navs
citric acid wrote:
navs: ok thanks....now im know what all talking about..im also verry interested in recreat it..hope im not to stupid to doo it..the modules are still in my rack :-)

the best thing will be ...that you will give some workshops ..i will be the first to book a place :-)


Glad it helped and good idea! grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group