MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TM3030 mods
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author TM3030 mods
juice721
Hello!
I'm still waiting my TM3030 board and parts but I already wonder how I could add some Devil Fish mods like FM Filter and Overdrive.
Does someone already think of this or done of these mods?
juice721
It seems to me that the SuperLadder Filter uses something I'd like to mod on my TM3030 : is the "Lin In" of the SLF the same as "FM Filter" in the TB303 DEVIFISH?
If it is, could someone help me (yes, I'm a newbie in elestronics whistlin' ) to link the TM3030 VCO output to its Filter Control, please? we're not worthy
Thanx!
Synthbuilder
juice721 wrote:
I'm still waiting my TM3030 board and parts but I already wonder how I could add some Devil Fish mods like FM Filter and Overdrive.
Does someone already think of this or done of these mods?


Yep. I did it with the very original TB3030 (which had all the mods done as an optional set of pots) and then with the later TB3031 (which had all the mods built onto the PCB).

http://www.oakleysound.com/tb3031.htm

The TM3030 is a stripped down version of the TB3030 without all the mods and therefore so much closer to the original 303.

At some point there will be a TM3031 - a midi controlled version of the TB3031 with the core circuitry remaining faithful to the silver box. As to when this can be done with what little time I have I'm not sure - but I would hope it will be in the 12 to 18 months.

For modding the TM3030 with these extra mods I suggest you have a look at the TB3030 schematics. Or have a look at the many online x0xb0x mods which would also work with both the TB303 and the TM3030.

I don't think that overdrive of the filter core is that great. I much prefer having the overdrive circuit after the TB303 - that way volume levels can control the depth of the distortion and the distortion unit itself acts as a compressor increasing punch.

Filter FM is best obtained via the the opposite waveform to that going to the VCF's audio input. ie. modulate with the sawtooth when you are listening to the square. Send the chosen VCO output (from the waveform switch) through a pot, 47Klinear, and then onto the summing node (middle pin of Q16) of the VCF via a suitable resistor and cap. (100K and 1uF poly)

The Superladder is considerably different to that of the TB303's filter. The expo circuitry, which is what you need to have access to to have filter FM, is a totally different.

Tony
juice721
Quote:
Filter FM is best obtained via the the opposite waveform to that going to the VCF's audio input. ie. modulate with the sawtooth when you are listening to the square. Send the chosen VCO output (from the waveform switch) through a pot, 47Klinear, and then onto the summing node (middle pin of Q16) of the VCF via a suitable resistor and cap. (100K and 1uF poly)


Great! That's what I want! thumbs up
Thank you!
juice721
Quote:
For modding the TM3030 with these extra mods I suggest you have a look at the TB3030 schematics
hmmm.....
...didn't find'em!
To select the wave form and its opposite for the filter fm with only one switch, is a DPDT switch I need?
Synthbuilder
juice721 wrote:
To select the wave form and its opposite for the filter fm with only one switch, is a DPDT switch I need?


Yes, this is how I did it on the TB3031. It uses the same panel space as the the ordinary switch - just takes a bit of wiring up.

TB3030 and TB3031 schematics are available from me.

http://www.oakleysound.com/os-order.htm

Tony
juice721
thank you tony for all these answers! Mr. Green
juice721
Tony said : (100K and 1uF poly)

What is poly? polystyrene, polyester???
huh?
Synthbuilder
juice721 wrote:
What is poly? polystyrene, polyester???


Polyester film.

You'd be very lucky to get hold of a 1uF polystyrene these days. It'll be enormous too.

Tony
juice721
Hello Tony!
I'm posting again in this topic because I want to talk to you about a mod I would like to add in my TM3030.
I'd like to route the accent control signal to the VCO via a pot. I tryed it by connecting Pin 2 Of Accent pot to Pin 1 of the TempCoResistor via a 47K pot, without results.
Have you got an idea of which could be the right way to proceed, please?
Synthbuilder
juice721 wrote:
I'd like to route the accent control signal to the VCO via a pot.


What do you want this mod to actually do? Sending the accent control line to the VCO will simply retune the VCO for the time the accent is high.

Tony
juice721
Sorry! I should say "accent enveloppe signal "instead of "accent control signal" !
I'm talking about the one we could find at pin 2 of the ACCENT pot.
And that's what I would like : an enveloppe on the pitch, when a note is accentued!
Synthbuilder
Not so easy as it will probably pull the VCO out of tune.

But you could try wiring another 50Klin pot in parallel with the existing accent pot. ie. the pot ends of the new pot connect to the pot ends of the existing accent pot. Then take the wiper of the new pot via a 180K resistor to the top of the temp co resistor (pin 1).

Tony
juice721
Quote:
Not so easy as it will probably pull the VCO out of tune.


And it does... about 2 octaves lower.
I thought it was a rather simple mod to do, but it appears it's not!
As I havn't got the required skills to find the solution, I'll drop it...

Thanks though! Guinness ftw!
calande
Hello, would it be difficult to do the same mod as the Syntecho TeeBee, that is adding a ring wave form like the MS20? Thanks.
calande
Hello, is adding an overdrive effect to a TM3030 just the matter of mounting an Overdrive II and plugging the TM3030's audio output to the Overdrive II's audio input? Thanks.
Synthbuilder
calande wrote:
is adding an overdrive effect to a TM3030 just the matter of mounting an Overdrive II and plugging the TM3030's audio output to the Overdrive II's audio input?

Yes.

But, and this is a big but: The Overdrive will need a power supply and the TM3030 can't provide it. The Overdrive module needs both +12V and - 12V while the TM3030 only has +12V.

It may be easier buying a suitable guitar pedal. Behringer's distortion pedals are hard to beat at the prices they go for. Personally, I use a TS-808 clone with my TM3030. Behringer's 808 clone is called the TO800 and the Boss equivalent is the SD-1.

Tony
calande
Thank you! wink
stainers
Would anyone be willing to share instructions on how to do mods like adding an extra VCO, an ext. audio input, and maybe CV to cutoff?

Pictures and simple instructions would be awesome:)
stainers
For some reason I upload any pictures but does the 2VCO kit from http://www.x0xsh0p.de/sh0p_e/template/index.html seem like it would be a good option for adding an extra VCO?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group