MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[ORDER] DIY Polivoks VCO kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author [ORDER] DIY Polivoks VCO kit
Girts23
We did it!

After several prototype versions Erica Synths proudly presents DIY super-enhanced Polivoks VCO kit! It uses the core of the original Polivoks VCO, but has plenty of modifications to adjust its performance to modular synth standards. DIY kit, as all Erica Synths Polivoks modules, comes with a set of the original Russian ICs and transistors (and real DIYer challenge - copper sheet for RFI/light shield for transistors) and this time we offer also the full kits with all parts needed. Polivoks has two, slightly different VCOs - VCO1 has X-Mod input where VCO2 audio signal is fed in, and you have something like additive synthesis; VCO2 has detune function instead. Our PCB is designed for configuration options to build VCOs.
Modifications, we did:
1) changed CVs to eurorack standard 1V/Oct (original has inverted CVs)
2) made all CV ins buffered in order to eliminate crosstalk and undesired detune (very few DIY kit producers buffer CV ins - mostly they are just summed on resistors). As result the VCO is surprisingly stable and tunes really well - trust me, I have built at least 10 different VCOs smile.
3) made optional adjustments to output signal amplitudes and offsets - you can have the original output signals (they have totally different levels and offsets waveform to waveform) or make them standard 10Vptp
4) original Polivoks has interesting peak in the triangle waveform - we introduced optional filter to eliminate it or leave as it is,
5) we significantly updated pulse wave circuit and introduced PWM - it sounds insanely great!
10 pages building and caibration manual contains ideas and hints for more modifications, if you are not happy with the standard Polivoks VCO. Those, who intend to build both VCOs and Erica Synths Polivoks Modulator (or already have it), might be interested in DIY Mixer kit also.

Her's waveform comparison! In my case triangle peak is partly filtered out (see schematics for mods). The far right waveform is actually dynamic - square wave with PWM from the Polivoks Modulator LFO.

Technical characteristics:
Frequency range: from LFO to C8
Available output waveforms: triangle, saw, 4x pulse
Output level: 10V ptp
Voltage supply: +-12V
Power consumption: 30mA (+12V), 36mA (-12)
Panel width: 14HP
Module depth: 95mm
PCB size: 95x97mm

And her's the minimum kit.

And what's inside smile

PRICE:
PCB + set of ICs and transistors - 30EUR
PCB + set of ICs and transistors + panel - 55EUR
Full kit (PCB + set of transistors + panel + all parts needed) - 80EUR
Shipping in EU - 3EUR, elsewhere in the world - 4EUR, cost will not increase, when ordering several kits of this kind.

Check www.ericasynths.lv to order.

I'll upload building, calibration and possible mods hints manual later today. Meanwhile - check the schematics of the original Polivoks VCO, Erica Synths version and BOM.
woodster
I'll get me some of these soon thumbs up
baloo
I want to build both VCO versions . (pcbs + panels + ICs & transistors)
price for mixer too?
bkbirge
Beautiful! If only I had hp! What's the copper shielding for?
euromorcego
that looks great!

Only issue is that the pcb is a bit too large, don't think my case is deep enough.
Do you think it should be possible to build it as as a double oscillator with two pcb's stacked together, mounted parallel to the panel? Probably I would have to do a custom 20hp panel then.
Maybe you could even provide an alternative panel if more people prefer a flat build.
Isaiah
Still holding my breath for a full Polivoks voice PCB! hihi
These look fantastic, by the way. thumbs up
Cablebasher
I'm in!

This is amazing.

Looking forward to the ADSR and VCA next?!

Is there a mouser (or equivalent) link for the rotary pots?

Everything else (bar the Russian bits) seems pretty standard.

Can't wait!
ben_hex
Wow! these look good!
grilojoe
Man! and I just ordered the VCF & Modulator last week. I guess I should've held out just a little longer to get the them all at once. Ah well.
renasent
Ah man, these look seriously good.

thumbs up
russthebarber
OK, put me down for 2 sets of PCBs and ICs. I think I'll attempt my own panels this time.
russthebarber
Just ordered 2 VCOs and the mixer PCB. I'd better get some more solder in stock.
spneca
Yes! I'm in.
livefreela
ordered - nicely done girts!
Girts23
I'll upload Mouser chart later.
But rotary switches are these (5 position) Mouser Part #: 611-A20403RNZQ
For waveform selector, use similar, just double pole 6 positions.
oberkorn
dumb question: how do you choose between panel for vco1 and 2?
I didn't buy yet, but up until it takes me to the paypal screen I don't see where to choose...
Girts23
oberkorn wrote:
dumb question: how do you choose between panel for vco1 and 2?
I didn't buy yet, but up until it takes me to the paypal screen I don't see where to choose...

There has to be Comment field smile

If not, I'll come back with an email to specify
ClausF
Fine!
Ordered mine (and zhe modulator) yesterday
Guinness ftw!
4285407da1d2a63820a3007c1
So you can now get these 2 oscillators, the mixer, the previously released filter and modulator right? What's left for a full Polivoks recreation? Anyone planning to put the whole lot together with a custom panel?

Edit: For anyone else wondering how these compare with the original take a look at this diagram of the original panel, complete with translated labels.
sicpaul
well done ! applause

so i'm going to order 2 oscillator pcb/part sets.

will they be available in winter again (when i finished testing to build a narrow euro polivoks voice module. no more money left at moment. but i fear i need another 2 or 4)? hihi
sicpaul
Girts23 wrote:

Shipping in EU - 3EUR, elsewhere in the world - 4EUR, cost will not increase, when ordering several kits of this kind.

Check www.ericasynths.lv to order.

Just a hint:
When ordering via your shop shipping costs will double on odering two kits of same kind (it was 6€ for 2 Modulators and the same for 2 VCOs).
oberkorn
ordered!
is it possible to have simultaneous waveform outputs, instead of the selector
and can one control pwm with a pot, not just cv ?
hyper
Girts23
Yes, sure, it is possible to use outputs separately, and a PCB has optional wiring for PWM pot. Installing the pot will be explained in the build document.

karlisss
is it possible to update BOM with res % values?
or all res there should be 1% with no exception?
THanks
mrtweed
ordered. looking forward to building this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10