MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Grid controller for the nw2s::b
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Grid controller for the nw2s::b
scottwilson
Good news! USB Host code is working (and in the 1.1 branch if anyone is curious). I have the 'b responding to grid key presses and sending out messages to turn on and off the grid positions. Should be able to get a couple of instruments built soon to demo it.

After that, I need to beg/borrow/steal a couple of versions of the monome to test on.

s
a scanner darkly
scottwilson wrote:
After that, I need to beg/borrow/steal a couple of versions of the monome to test on.

s

Email sent!
scottwilson
Just a quick teaser - development is done and I'm working on some instruments. Have a bunch of studio work to do this weekend, so not sure when I can get a full-fledged demo video. This at least demonstrates a small set of interactions with a grid with the nw2s::b acting as host with no computers in the loop at all!

In order to test a number of verisons and sizes, I have acquired a Grayscale 64 as well as a 2012 Varibright 265. This video shows the Adafruit kit running the trigger sequencer.

* From straightforward tactile beat creation to long, evolving trigger sequences.
* Up to 15 trigger outputs, 16 sequence steps, and 16 stored pages of sequences.
* Capable of loading pre-programmed sequences from the on-board SD card slot.
* Internally or externally clocked.
* Resettable, triggered track or page randomization.

[edit] - new link below!

If you have any questions about the Adafruit Oontztrument, ping me. It's a pretty good kit for $100 or $200 depending on what you're looking for. It's certainly not as solid as the monome, but gets you into the club inexpensively.
dadek
very cool, was there supposed to be audio in that video?
scottwilson
No - but there is in this one... I should not be allowed to produce anything similar to music. But it gets the point across hopefully!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZe22pxMVTI
dadek
cool, thanks. Can't wait to try this out. Guinness ftw!
scottwilson
Not sure why I can't embed videos... the video tag never works for me. Hrm.
nangu
Looks awesome! I have a Varibright 256, and I've been thinking about buying the Monome modules. The lack of a reset input was really bugging me, as well as the fact that half of my grid would be wasted with the current versions. Glad I waited..

scottwilson wrote:
Not sure why I can't embed videos... the video tag never works for me. Hrm.

You just need to delete the 's' in https://

a scanner darkly
That was fast! Exciting news. So many possibilities, I'm thinking this will be also great for more visual feedback from the 'b (and now I want to use my grid as an oscilloscope just for the fun of it...)

So it's probably best to power the grid externally? I've got the ext5v thingy from Monome, I assume that should work when using the grid with the 'b? This one: http://controlvoltage.net/monome-ext5v/dp/1569
scottwilson
It might not hurt, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. May also depend as much on your rack supply as your monome. The Arduino Due theoretically supports 800mA on the 5V rail, but with a 12V supply, that's a lot of heat to dissipate.

I'll see how the 256 does, but my Oontz 128 does just fine. The monome 64 also seems to do fine, but since it's not officially working yet, I won't count it as an unqualified success yet.

-s
a scanner darkly
Yeah, I think it was mentioned the grid might draw up to 500mA more if it's not powered externally, and my PS is almost maxed out as it is, so it's mostly just to be on the safe side.
a scanner darkly
Quick question - to connect the grid do I need to use a USB OTG adapter specifically or would any Micro B to A cable work?
scottwilson
Good question. I picked up an OTG cable from Amazon cause those were the only cables I could find of the correct persuasion.

It's a Micro B to Female A. Then I use a regular Micro B to male A the rest of the length. I let it poke out through a 2HP gap in my rack.

I'm pretty sure any combination of adapters or wonky cables to get you from one to the other should work.

s
a scanner darkly
Cool, thanks Scott! I wasn't sure if there was something else going on under the hood in those OTG things or if they simply work as a male Micro B to female A adapters. If that's the case I just need to get something to go from a male Micro B to female B as that's what I have on the ext5v thingy I use to power the grid.
scottwilson
I think most of the "OTG" part is built into the device. It was primarily developed so that phones like a Samsung S5 or whatnot can both be a USB client (when hooked to your PC) or a USB host (with the right adapter cable)

Arduino Due is technically OTG capable since that native port can be both client (when hooked to a PC) or host, such as when it's hooked to a monome.

...and speaking of, finally got blinky lights and button presses back on my series 64... screwed the code up somewhere along the way, but fixed it now. Shouldn't be too long before I get this guy working as well as the Adafruit.

s
a scanner darkly
I would be surprised if there is more to it, but couldn't figure out from reading online if the "OTG adapters" was just a marketing term or actually meaning something. In any case it's cheap enough just to test and see if it works, will report back once I try it.
L.C.O.
So, this is very interesting...

I think someone mentioned monome Arc, any chance of interfacing arc?

Or Manta?
a scanner darkly
Or shnth :-)

Seriously, shnth as a controller for the 'b would be amazing. Squishable wavetables, things like that.
djthopa
Following this thread with interest! beer!
myecholalia
^^^^ totally agree. Finally broke down and ordered a nw2s::b because of the upcoming monome integration.
djthopa
Hi,

Maybe i missed the point, but how would the monome be connected to the b?

Would the b have future expansions for connecting a monome?

Thanks!
scottwilson
The arduino as two USB ports on board. One of them is a native micro-B that can be used as a host by using a USB OTG adapter (basically just a micro-B to female A cable). You will need a way to get that out of your rack. I just run the USB cable through a 2HP gap I have anyway.

If there's enough interest in the future, I could make a full-fledged panel that could offer a few connectivity options in a slightly more elegant presentation, but for now I'm concentrating on just the software...

s
djthopa
Thanks for the info Scott.

Hopefully there will be enough interest for a full fledged panel!

Keep us updated with your progress.

Cheers
a scanner darkly
A 2hp expander to bring out the USB ports would be great. There is very little clearance from the Due USB ports on the 'b, definitely would need angled connectors, but then they're pretty close together, so you would need to find one that is angled to the right and one that's angled to the left to use both ports.

The OTG adapter I got sticks out a lot due to its shape, like 2 inches. I was able to get around it by putting the 'b in the lower row, and it's deep enough that the adapter sticking out wasn't touching anything in the upper row.

Another benefit for a panel would be not having to use any special adapters. I didn't get a chance to see if the native USB port would work by just using a combination of regular USB cables instead of USB OTG - it was just easier to use the OTG adapter since you'd need to find a male micro B to female B or A adapter anyway.

It would be great if the cables connecting the expander to the 'b were long enough so that you can place the expander away from the 'b if needed.
scottwilson
Another 2AM type quick demo - this time using the monome GS64 and running a note sequencer instead of a trigger sequencer.

I think the most apparent outcome of this video is that the 64 is a bit small to build interesting sequences directly. The 64 will likely be better suited to some automata algorithms.

Also, it's clear that more entropy is necessary to make this thing act a bit more interesting. Not to worry - that will be coming!

s
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4