MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Strymon Deco: Tape Saturation/Doubletracker
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Strymon Deco: Tape Saturation/Doubletracker
dkcg
Looks like they're going for a dual tape saturation/flanging/tape sim pedal.

blue_lu
Apart from the flanging the el cap seems to cover a lot of the same ground.
At the way I use it for a "vintage tape" effect.

hmmm.....
Crowyote
I bet you could get close to that effect that Beck uses on his voice in Debra with this.

I'm intrigued at how it will sound compared to a Cluster Flux or the like?
Kent
I really wish that they would accelerate the product roadmap and get to the point that Line6 did (Some of these guys were with Line6, I believe.) wherein they incorporate MIDI preset switching into a multi-effect unit. More and more DSP boxes, with very limited preset storage and recall, simply don't appeal to me even though the DSP algorithms do.
MindMachine
Looks like a fancy Analogizer.
sloth713
I bet in a year or two they will release an all in one reel to reel emulator pedal in the same vein of the Big Sky, Timeline, and Mobius.

I like that the new knobs and their layout gives the Deco an aesthetic very reminiscent of the old reel to reels.
JohnLRice
I keep thinking I wanna run some DAW 2 buss mixes through this baby! hyper
dmod
The demos are amazing probably closest I have heard to a vintage sound via a pedal. Any release dates? Cheers!
Sinamsis
Kent wrote:
I really wish that they would accelerate the product roadmap and get to the point that Line6 did (Some of these guys were with Line6, I believe.) wherein they incorporate MIDI preset switching into a multi-effect unit. More and more DSP boxes, with very limited preset storage and recall, simply don't appeal to me even though the DSP algorithms do.

Dude the timeline and mobius have 100 presets, the big sky has 300. How many more presets do you need? And their midi implementation is pretty extensive. You can connect them all to a pedal like an fcb1010 and have essentially a multifx pedal. I'm just waiting for their take on a pitch pedal.
GovernorSilver
I wasn't excited by the introductory video, but this one piqued my interest - I think it could nail some Steve Tibbetts' sounds from the Yr album.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNklBG8gAc[/video]
JohnLRice
GovernorSilver wrote:
I wasn't excited by the introductory video, but this one piqued my interest - I think it could nail some Steve Tibbetts' sounds from the Yr album.

Fixed! thumbs up
lilakmonoke
is it just me or does the el cap sound more tapeish than this? its all about the midrange with tape and also the distortion sounds way too brittle to me. i wish the eventide time factor tape delay sounded anything like this though ...
GovernorSilver
Thanks, JohnLRice! I'm a repeat offender with the https thing. Guinness ftw!
Kent
Sinamsis wrote:
Kent wrote:

Dude the timeline and mobius have 100 presets, the big sky has 300. How many more presets do you need? And their midi implementation is pretty extensive. You can connect them all to a pedal like an fcb1010 and have essentially a multifx pedal. I'm just waiting for their take on a pitch pedal.

Ah, dope! I didn't realise that the larger boxes are equipped with MIDI Ins. That's almost all of what I was hoping for. I'd still like to see a multi-FX box with algorithms from across at the range in a 1rU box.

thumbs up
GovernorSilver
lilakmonoke wrote:
is it just me or does the el cap sound more tapeish than this? its all about the midrange with tape and also the distortion sounds way too brittle to me. i wish the eventide time factor tape delay sounded anything like this though ...

My understanding of the differences

El Capistan:
1. Emulates a tape echo (vintage Echoplex, Roland RE-301, etc.), not a studio reel-to-reel tape recorder.
2. Can do lots of repeats
3. No Tape saturation
4. Spring reverb (like the one on the RE-301)
5. No tape flange/chorus

Deco:
1. Emulates a studio reel-to-reel tape recorder, not a tape echo.
2. Only one repeat most of the time. 2 repeats at most.
3. Tape saturation - btw, better to compare this to tape saturation plugins than to tube amps, because tube overdrive and tape saturation are two different kinds of distortion. I personally would use it with subtle settings, not to add obvious distortion, though I can't rule out experimenting with more obvious distortion at some point.
4. Tape flange/Tape Chorus - before flange and chorus pedals were invented, the only way to get flange and chorus sounds was to mess with the tape.
5. No reverb
dkcg
I'm still not totally convinced on the usefulness of the saturation, but the doubling side seems pretty cool. I'll wait for the used ones to hit the market, I don't see it being popular with the guitar crowd, mainly due to just one slapback echo, even though the chorusing and flanging seem really cool. More of a studio tool maybe. I'd love to hear an expression pedal on the tape time/offset. flange to slapback with one knob/exp/cv could be cool.

I would have loved to see a frippertronics in a box with two tape mechanisms with a switch for turning on and off the erase heads, and saturation just a knob. I think they could have gotten the doubling (and then some with a virtual disabling the erase heads), flanging, chorusing, and one knob for saturation sorta the way tape age is one knob on the cap. I would have preordered a "frippertron" for sure, the deco, not sure yet.
GovernorSilver
I unfortunately have never had the opportunity to record to a reel-to-reel tape machine and thus play with the tape saturation, and I never really got into using tape saturation plugins before I abandoned software DAWs for my Zoom R8. Thus, I have no idea how truly authentic their tape saturation sound is. However, it seems like a useful "bonus" for adding a bit of warmth. I have a couple of fuzz pedals and amp modelers that I like so I'm unlikely to use the tape saturation feature for adding more distortion.

The selling point of this pedal for me is the Steve Tibbetts like stuff that I heard in the tape flange/chorus demo vid.

Example (especially from around 4:50 onwards)
DonaldCrunk
i wanted to like this product, having used reel to reels for studio effects for a while - but i am having difficulty. the tape saturation is a great feature to have, but it's so hard to truly hear the character. i don't think i've ever recorded 'over saturated' guitar to tape - i just don't see the utility with that kind of instrument. Drums, yeah. Even vocals for some harmonic weirdness. but not guitar - i'll have to hear it on some other instruments.

the 'tape tricks' section (that's what i'm calling it in my head at least) seems to emulate a really well tuned and well maintained tape machine, which is sort of the opposite of what i enjoyed about working with a reel to reel. i always used already-recorded-on reels (much less expensive anyway since my format is 1/2") and sometimes would even have a go with scraping a razor blade over the tape medium itself to introduce dead spots, distortions and such. no facilities for simulating any degradation it seems.

i would probably buy it if it had Sound on Sound facilities (mostly what i use my deck for) like the El Cap, but that i guess would be too much crossover with the other product.

overall i think it's a good stab and a unique take, but i don't think it will sell particularly well for them. hopefully i'm wrong, but i don't think i am!
GovernorSilver
DonaldCrunk wrote:

i would probably buy it if it had Sound on Sound facilities (mostly what i use my deck for) like the El Cap, but that i guess would be too much crossover with the other product.

overall i think it's a good stab and a unique take, but i don't think it will sell particularly well for them. hopefully i'm wrong, but i don't think i am!

Lots of peeps posting order numbers on the The Gear Page forum - so they're buying this thing at least.

I'm hoping the tape saturation will subtlety take the edge off my viola's piezo pickup tone, and maybe the acoustic guitar's piezos too.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, and the Doubletracker sounds are not as Tibbetts-esque as I've hoped, I know I can flip this pedal quickly, thanks to that sizable segment of the guitarist population known as the "cult of Strymon" wink
ndkent
Moog Cluster Flux is real BBD sound, not a tape sim sound and lots of CV so not the same territory here.

But what I do spot is that several software plugins out recently have this sort of feature set (tape sim, ADT, tape flange)
dkcg
ndkent wrote:
Moog Cluster Flux is real BBD sound, not a tape sim sound and lots of CV so not the same territory here.

But what I do spot is that several software plugins out recently have this sort of feature set (tape sim, ADT, tape flange)

Can the delay in the Flux go slow enough to do a nice slapback echo? How are the stereo modes done? This thing's been on my list a while now, but haven't had a chance to play with one.
dmod
Hey anyone know of a release date estimate? Excited for this one!
Crowyote
dkcg wrote:
ndkent wrote:

Can the delay in the Flux go slow enough to do a nice slapback echo? How are the stereo modes done? This thing's been on my list a while now, but haven't had a chance to play with one.

Well, ya The Cluster is different, but it can cover some similar territory I imagine and some comparison vids might be interesting.

I sold my CF about 2+ years ago, but as I recall it could do a nice slapback echo but it was not what you would expect because there was clock noise and an interesting kind of saturation due to over-clocking the BBD's. I really loved it.

Supposedly Moog left room to add two more BBD chips in the circuit board, but as far as I know has never created or modded a Super-Flux for commercial availability . . . I even tried to special order one, but the rep I was talking to dropped the conversation and no longer works there.

For now I'm using a Moog Super Delay 104M SD w/ a Subdecay Starlight DLX Flanger in the effects loop. I'm just beginning to explore this combo but I'm happy with the results so far.
GovernorSilver
dmod wrote:
Hey anyone know of a release date estimate? Excited for this one!

Several users have already gotten theirs. One got a bum unit - he's complaining the tape saturation is too subtle. But others say the saturation works fine, just like in the demo vids.

Personally, I would just use the tape saturation at the more subtle settings, and rely more on my fuzz and OD pedals for dirt.
GovernorSilver
Demo with synth:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2