MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looper Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Author Looper Pedals
controlFreak
Anyone know of any loopers that can sync/quantize to a clock pulse?
monolithicfungus
Anyone every try using a Boss DD-20 as a looper? It's more of a full featured delay pedal, but does have limited looping capabilities. I was just reading one of my favorite ambient artists, Benoit Pioulard uses one, and his sounds are super creamy dreamy.
Johnnyfive
controlFreak wrote:

The boss dd20 can take a clock signal into the ctrl pedal input when it’s set to receive tap tempo. If you use the standard delay with 100% feedback, and use the on/off bypass switch to record, it functions like a looper.

It’s stereo so in theory you could use left and right as two separate loop tracks, although they would both have to be the same length. Haven’t tried this yet but will do when I have time to experiment - happy to report back.

Im having a bit of an issue with the very beginning of the loop getting distorted/glitchy over time - I think this is because the clock varies slightly in frequency, thereby moving the delay time slightly, so it should be an easy fix by just muting the clock signal once the pedal is synced. Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

[quote=“monolithicfungus”]I was just reading one of my favorite ambient artists, Benoit Pioulard uses one, and his sounds are super creamy dreamy[/quote]

A little off topic but any recommendations on which album to start with? I’ve listened to some of his stuff and never really gelled with it, despite being into lots of similar artists and a big fan of Kranky’s catalog
monolithicfungus
@Johnnyfive Oh wow, hearing that the DD-20 could sync to pulse is very exciting.

Quote:
Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

Please do, would love to hear what the experiments yield.

Re: Benoit. His single Noyaux really hooked me, and if you dig that, try his album Sonnet. I dig his ambient stuff more than his indie folk. He also plays with Rafael Anton Irisarri in the band Orcas.

we're not worthy
Navs
The Electrix Repeater, which I happen to have for sale here, has a Beat Detect function.
R.U.Nuts
controlFreak wrote:

What about the Digitech JamMan express. It has minijack sync in- and outputs but I haven't found any infos on which kind of signals work with it. Has anybody here dared to plug an analog clock into it?
futureman
I picked up a Ditto X4 because of the midi functions...unfortunately I kind of hate the pedal. I get weird glitches where there's no audio. Certain settings make loop points click and pop like crazy. loop starts and stops are supposed to sort of quantize to the midi clock, but I've found it's not very reliable and my loops inevitably start drifting...maybe it's user error, but either way I dont find it to be worth the real estate it takes up on my pedal board and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Now I just use a midi footswitch I made and use ableton session view for looping, or I sample on the fly to a Digitakt.

Another minor complaint on the dittoX4 - it has a sort of obnoxiously long start up time.
monolithicfungus
@futureman oh no, that sucks. I would be upset as well.

Ditto x 2 users, have you experienced any similar issues or is this a x4 specific issue?
Jason Brock
monolithicfungus wrote:

Ditto x 2 users, have you experienced any similar issues or is this a x4 specific issue?

I don't own either, but I did a lot of reading online before buying and these complaints are common about the x4 (but not the x2).
futureman
monolithicfungus wrote:

I had an X2 previously and didn't have these issues.
R.U.Nuts
Ditto X2 has no MIDI, so it's rather impossible to have the aforementioned issues the X4 seems to have, right? seriously, i just don't get it
futureman
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Ditto X2 has no MIDI, so it's rather impossible to have the aforementioned issues the X4 seems to have, right? seriously, i just don't get it

Well, to clarify the clicks and pops at loop points isn't coming from midi functionality and happens without any midi connected. It can mostly be taken care of by changing one of the rear DIP switches ( I think the bypass mode switch ). Once the DIP is in the right position for your particular setup I'd say it doesnt click and pop more often than other loopers, but in the wrong position it clicks and pops on every single loop recorded, and every repeat. Without it being mentioned in the manual's troubleshooting it just added to the frustration of owning the pedal...I dont even care now that I've solved it because of how many times it killed my vibe before that.
scottmoon
futureman wrote:
I picked up a Ditto X4 because of the midi functions...unfortunately I kind of hate the pedal. I get weird glitches where there's no audio. Certain settings make loop points click and pop like crazy. loop starts and stops are supposed to sort of quantize to the midi clock, but I've found it's not very reliable and my loops inevitably start drifting...maybe it's user error, but either way I dont find it to be worth the real estate it takes up on my pedal board and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Now I just use a midi footswitch I made and use ableton session view for looping, or I sample on the fly to a Digitakt.

Another minor complaint on the dittoX4 - it has a sort of obnoxiously long start up time.

My Ditto X4, along with 3 other friends that have them, have all died. A reinstall of the firmware fixed mine for about a week. Now it's dead again and won't even take the firmware update. I've heard this has happened to a lot of people and TC Electronics has been mute.
MindMachine
Anyone own the EH 720? I have the nano 360 (and 2880) but find the 720 features more playable than the 360, which is nice for a digital replacement to a tape loop (or 11). I should just score it for backwards.
smetak
scottmoon wrote:
futureman wrote:

My Ditto X4, along with 3 other friends that have them, have all died. A reinstall of the firmware fixed mine for about a week. Now it's dead again and won't even take the firmware update. I've heard this has happened to a lot of people and TC Electronics has been mute.

Hum......I bought a Ditto X4 - works perfectly. Absolutely no noise, no glitches, no hiss, nothing - does what it should and the thing is built like a tank. Maybe lucky?
futureman
smetak wrote:
scottmoon wrote:
futureman wrote:

Hum......I bought a Ditto X4 - works perfectly. Absolutely no noise, no glitches, no hiss, nothing - does what it should and the thing is built like a tank. Maybe lucky?

Wouldn't surprise me if they've sorted a lot of it out. Early adopters always get shafted. Like I said - most of my issues were sorted by the end but the grief leading up to it, and the huge footprint still leave it on my personal chopping block.
Johnnyfive
monolithicfungus wrote:
@Johnnyfive Oh wow, hearing that the DD-20 could sync to pulse is very exciting.

Quote:
Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

Please do, would love to hear what the experiments yield.

sorry for the delay in getting back to you, finally got round to having a proper play with syncing the dd20. the problem i'm finding is that the clock i'm sending is not stable enough - every pulse is at a very slightly different time, meaning that it changes the speed of the delay very slightly with each "loop". this means that there's a click/distortion thing at the beginning of every loop which gets gradually worse with every repetition. i've tried with the pulse output of both a dixie and a ladik lfo, and the dixie seems slightly better. one workaround is to patch a mute/attenuator between the clock and the dd20, so that you can send an initial four taps to set tempo, then mute the clock to leave it set. the problem is that the delay is then not going to be totally locked into everything else on the same clock.

while checking out the DLD manual, i came across this:

"The DLD has a very precise and jitter-free internal clock (less than 0.0001% at 120BPM). If ever possible, it's recommended
to use the DLD as the master clock. However, using external gear to clock the DLD is also possible. One problem with using
external clocks is that lots of equipment generates clocks with a lot of jitter. Sometimes the tempo may vary by as much as 2-
3BPM."

the DLD has some clever "External Clock De-jittering" algorithms to get around this, but the DD20 obviously doesn't. so basically, maybe with a super precise clock you'd be able to to get it to sync without problems, but otherwise it might not be the best option.
Jason Brock
MindMachine wrote:
Anyone own the EH 720? I have the nano 360 (and 2880) but find the 720 features more playable than the 360, which is nice for a digital replacement to a tape loop (or 11). I should just score it for backwards.

I went with the 720 and I really like it. It's the perfect mix of size vs features for me. No complaints at all, it works great.
iron98
I went for the EH 22500 after trying the 720. That one extra loop can make all the difference.
Re the clock sync, unless you are trying to sync over a long time (over 5 minutes) I actually found that a tap-tempo seems to stay suprisingly in-time and most of the (pedal format) loopers I looked at that had a midi sync seemed to be a lot more expensive than the ones without.
notjoesuthers
I love my DL4s. They can be finicky, but the looping is so intuitive. And you get some solid delay sounds as well!
evs
i just found the finhol looper, i posted it here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207051&highlight=

and now i was thinking, what looper under 200$ can also give out clock, or midi clock? (so, to act as a master)

maybe theres something better out there i oversee:-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Page 6 of 6