MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looper Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Looper Pedals
Paranormal Patroler
I'm currently on the lookout for a RC505 myself. The manual makes it look like the best option out there.
MindMachine
I use the old EH 2880 and just also added this little gem:

Rooftree
MindMachine wrote:
I use the old EH 2880 and just also added this little jem:

That looks simple! And I mean that in the best way. Too much complexity stops me in my tracks.
GovernorSilver
The price of this pedal seems to have dropped to $99 at a lot of stores. Kind of tempted at that price:

Also, they have a "get a free Ditto/Ditto X2" promo:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/holiday-giveaway-2014-ditto-looper/
aen
a) That 505 looks awesome, thanks everyone for bringing that back into my wheelhouse.

b) I usually recommend the rc-20 in these situations, but I've actually seen better shows using the digitech Jam-man. (not sure which one, sorry!)
The whole "impossible to sync" aspect of a free running looper in a live band actually brought be to some pretty awesome places, most of which started with "fuck a sync. give me more loopers and amps."
MindMachine
Rooftree wrote:

That looks simple! And I mean that in the best way. Too much complexity stops me in my tracks.

You and me both. This thing is simple as hell and has 11 loops w/ sound on sound style capability.
keykeyeyekit
The 2880 for long and complex loops, the WTPA 1&2 for crusty textural short bits, and the Digitech RDS series for a bit of both. I love using many loopers/samplers simultaneously to exploit both their strengths and weaknesses. Curious to try the new ehx nano looper.
MindMachine
keykeyeyekit wrote:
Curious to try the new ehx nano looper.

It is killer simple and sounds very nice. I have put synths, bass guitar, electric guitar, voice, Casios into it and they all worked fine. It must be a single little chip inside, because it weighs nothing. I wish I had a handheld digi-recorder as simple.

MM
polyslax
Been messing around with Eventide's new looper algo for the H9 (free for now). Lots of fun with the X-Y control on the iPad.
Rooftree
I'm starting to think again about getting an RC-505. Let's see if you folks can talk me into or out of it. smile Here's what I want out of a looper . . .

The biggest factor is ease of use. I want to create, not think. I can't stress this enough. The technical part of my mind runs away and hides when I'm making music.

The second "must have" is good sync to a drum machine, with the drum machine acting as master, not slave.

I won't use any onboard FX, I already have that covered with my existing workflow with other gear.

I'll very rarely make use of fade-in, fade-out, reverse, or decay (AKA feedback or aging).

I'd like to freely and easily record, overdub, undo, play and stop any of the 5 tracks. All tracks should be locked in sync with each other. Track length should be determined on the fly as I record the first track to be whatever length feels right while I'm playing. I assume I can do all of this by smacking the appropriate button and that I won't need to do menu diving, change modes or use button combinations.

It might be nice to set a track to be 1/2 or 1/4 the length of the first track.

I'd sometimes like to change a loop to "one shot" mode without going through too much menu diving or thinking. This isn't a major requirement; it's just a "nice to have".

Can the 505 handle this? I've heard complaints about its ability to MIDI sync. Some people in this thread have talked about complexity and menu diving, but I'm wondering if my stripped down approach will avoid that.
tron23
polyslax wrote:
Been messing around with Eventide's new looper algo for the H9 (free for now). Lots of fun with the X-Y control on the iPad.

Very interesting fact it has a looper algo going on! Guinness ftw!
monstrinho
aen wrote:
a) That 505 looks awesome, thanks everyone for bringing that back into my wheelhouse.

b) I usually recommend the rc-20 in these situations, but I've actually seen better shows using the digitech Jam-man. (not sure which one, sorry!)
The whole "impossible to sync" aspect of a free running looper in a live band actually brought be to some pretty awesome places, most of which started with "fuck a sync. give me more loopers and amps."

It's funny, but a lot of people obsess about how "tight" the sync is on their gear. If all you ever do is microscopically quantized techno, then maybe I can understand it, but I'm definitely more of a "fuck sync" person. Not having everything sync up perfectly leads to interesting accidents, things you would never discover otherwise. My setup for a really long time was an old Digitech PDS-8000 and a PDS-2000 with no sync at all between them!

On another note, there's actually a feature I would like to see on a looper, which AFAIK doe not exist anywhere; offset. I'd like to be able to record a loop, copy it to a blank track and then use the "offset" to put it slightly out of sync with the original so I could do simulated tape phasing / flanging. Easy to do in a DAW, obviously, but not something I've seen in hardware.
Paranormal Patroler
That's why I use the ACME4. thumbs up
MindMachine
[quote="monstrinho"]
aen wrote:
a)
On another note, there's actually a feature I would like to see on a looper, which AFAIK doe not exist anywhere; offset. I'd like to be able to record a loop, copy it to a blank track and then use the "offset" to put it slightly out of sync with the original so I could do simulated tape phasing / flanging. Easy to do in a DAW, obviously, but not something I've seen in hardware.

Couldn't you just use a Y splitter on the out put and put a delay/flanger one one channel. Not built in and requires a delay/flanger.
monstrinho
[quote="MindMachine"]
monstrinho wrote:
aen wrote:
a)

Couldn't you just use a Y splitter on the out put and put a delay/flanger one one channel. Not built in and requires a delay/flanger.

I could, but tape flanging / phasing sounds very different than any flanger or phaser pedal out there (except maybe the new Strymon Deco). It also would not allow you to push things a little further into Steve Reich "Come Out" territory. Also, unless the pedal in question has either MIDI or tap tempo and can be synced to start the LFO sweep with the looper, it would not work at all. It also would not allow me to do other kinds of varispeed effects that would require disengaging the LFO and varying the speed manually. I'll need to investigate further, maybe there's a lopper out there that can do what I'm imagining, but it would probably require digging under the hood and menu diving. I'd like to see it as a dedicated front panel control. Strymon could easily build the device I'm thinking of, since they already have all of the code sitting there finished. It would just be a matter of putting it in a new box with a slightly different interface.
MrNovember
monstrinho wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
monstrinho wrote:

I could, but tape flanging / phasing sounds very different than any flanger or phaser pedal out there (except maybe the new Strymon Deco). It also would not allow you to push things a little further into Steve Reich "Come Out" territory. Also, unless the pedal in question has either MIDI or tap tempo and can be synced to start the LFO sweep with the looper, it would not work at all. It also would not allow me to do other kinds of varispeed effects that would require disengaging the LFO and varying the speed manually. I'll need to investigate further, maybe there's a lopper out there that can do what I'm imagining, but it would probably require digging under the hood and menu diving. I'd like to see it as a dedicated front panel control. Strymon could easily build the device I'm thinking of, since they already have all of the code sitting there finished. It would just be a matter of putting it in a new box with a slightly different interface.

This isn't quite what you're looking for but check out mode 3 of the Montreal Assembly Count to 5.
It has limited recording length (like ~8s I think) but in mode 3 it produces 3 layers of the loop with a speed control for each
http://mtlasm.blogspot.ca/p/count-to.html

Also mode 1 is a weird pitch shifting glitchy delay and mode 2 is a granular sampler. Overall, best pedal I own we're not worthy
JohnLRice
Just FYI: I noticed an eBay auction for a lot of damaged Ditto X2 pedals. eek! Did that many people run over them with their cars or is TC making the metal of the casing too thin? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

polyslax
Was messing around with the H9 looper on some Nord Drum 2 last night. The iPad interface is pretty satisfying:

http://soundcloud.com/polyslax/sets/plastic-fjord
monstrinho
MrNovember wrote:

This isn't quite what you're looking for but check out mode 3 of the Montreal Assembly Count to 5.
It has limited recording length (like ~8s I think) but in mode 3 it produces 3 layers of the loop with a speed control for each

Also mode 1 is a weird pitch shifting glitchy delay and mode 2 is a granular sampler. Overall, best pedal I own we're not worthy

Not exactly what I was looking for, but close, and seriously cool! Thanks for the link, I had never heard of any of these pedals at all.
MrNovember
monstrinho wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

Not exactly what I was looking for, but close, and seriously cool! Thanks for the link, I had never heard of any of these pedals at all.

Not a problem. They're a pretty small pedal company, I caught wind of them through another pedal related forum (ILF). The owner, Scott, is a really cool guy too.

I definitely recommend picking up a Count to 5. I've spent hours messing with mine. It won't give pristine loops or anything super accurate, but that's really not what it's built for.
booyaldy
Recommendation for someone who doesn't have any pedals? I'd like to get one for my bass, and my Grendel drone machine.
Pris
After 6 years of looping and 6 designated loopers later I`d recommend:

Boss DD5-7 (on the side you can use it as a delay hihi )
C and G Kaleidoloop for hands-on action. Insanely expensive for what it is, but insanely easy, funny, understatement.
Pris
Just imagining:

Kaleidoloop sitting on a Drone Commander.
The only gear on stage eek!
monstrinho
Pris wrote:
Kaleidoloop [...]. Insanely expensive for what it is [...]

In a nutshell, yes. I imagine I would love it, but it's just crazy, crazy, crazy expensive for such a basic device. And yes, I understand the whole "support independent manufacturers blah blah blah" argument. At the end of the day, three bills will buy me a lot of other interesting things, so I can't justify it. I could get a used Boomerang 3 for the same amount, and I know which of the two I'd rather have...
chvad
another oigtronix infinity lover here. the new firmware is fantastic. feature loaded. easy if that what youwant. deep if you want deep. the midi timing is awwwwwwesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6