MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looper Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Looper Pedals
sascha.victoria
About 10 years ago I had a Boss RC20 which had a great reverse / over dub function. Looking at looping pedals now they are much more advanced but I don't see an easy way to record a loop, reverse, and overdub or make another loop. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Any suggestions for a modern looping pedal?
kindredlost
DITTO x2 by TC Electronics.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/

Get one from Guitar Center used for ~$120.

The Electro Harmonix 45000 is a new version of the 2880 which I wish I could find. It is 4 channels for multi track looping. Expensive though.

Here is a used 2880 for reasonable money.
krv
No problem, Sir... I used this one for three months with both Buchla 200e and Moog Theremin and it sound good... reverse, overdub, half speed anything you need

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/
sduck
For a easy way to just do what you ask about the boomerang version I or II is great, but not available new any more -

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/Rang%20Plus/Rang%20Plus.html

I don't know, but you might be able to find them on ebay or wherever for reasonable prices. You can't have mine though.

The modern updated version, which doesn't look as user friendly to me, although in the demos I've seen is much more fun -

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E156.shtml
Crowyote
I had an EHX 45000 and loved it . . . I sold it in a rush because I needed cash pretty badly (I don't recommend selling gear at the Sam Ash in Dallas btw, the sales manager has a way of making it seem torturous to buy something from you).

If I had an extra $450-$500 lying around I would get it in the drop of a hat. Luckily, I had an extra SD card that had all my good loops saved and I kept it. Mine was from the first production run and reportedly there were a few issues, but mine never failed live besides user error learning curve stuff, and it was never very obvious when it did. Oh yes, and the footswitch is essential.

I tried the Ditto (1st version), but decided keeping track of the stomp order could prove disastrous in a live setting. I'm considering an x2 or holding out until TC builds a Ditto x4.

The EHX 360 Nano just seems stupid! Why have all those loops settings for just 6 minutes of time. I don't see the point.

Boomerang - I would buy if I had more floorspace.
konnekshen
i got the BOSS RC 505 and it is quite an inspiration (i just say guitar to bass).

still, the 2880 i had was fantastic, it was something about the audio quality that had kinda tape feeling. i'm always tempted to get a 45000 but i wish EH would come up with a big version based on the wish lists of the 2880/45000 fans, like different track length, more ins and outs than jus a stereo pair each, inserts and more than 4 ch in total. i really don't get it why they don't do it.

and btw: please EH and all you other pedal companys: make more vids for synth users please!
sascha.victoria
Got a 4500 since they had it at True Tone and I could try it. Need to go back tomorrow for the control pedal. Got a Red Panda too. Super fun to make loops buffer, etc... Might get a second Panda. Spent the whole afternoon having a blast with my Wurlitzer and guitar. Reminded me of my set up when I felt most productive.
scozbor
loving ehx 4500. total chaos running ableton sampler (with mapped controller covering all functions including sample selection), board weevil, wavedrum, and mabira - all through a mixer into the 4500. twisted
4500 then goes through some mod fx, delay and into ableton for further live tweaking.
sascha.victoria
Yeah was just thinking how fun it would be to have the 45000 as a send on a mixer. Super stoked.
scozbor
seriously!! stick an ableton sampler on it! throw hundreds of samples into it. map the sample selection, pitch, filters, reverb + delay to some knobs. play the samlper with keyboard/pads. SO MUCH FUN!
MrNovember
I like my Ditto x1 but I really just use it for jamming on my own. I probably wouldn't consider taking it anywhere live. I really hope they make an x4; the x2 is a step in the right direction though.

I know a lot of people that like the Line 6 DL4. This guy does some crazy stuff with them:
sascha.victoria
scozbor wrote:
seriously!! stick an ableton sampler on it! throw hundreds of samples into it. map the sample selection, pitch, filters, reverb + delay to some knobs. play the samlper with keyboard/pads. SO MUCH FUN!

I don't think I follow what you're saying to do...
scozbor
A bit off topic but....

If you have a USB/midi controller you can map params of the ableton sampler to the knobs. I'm using the akai LPD8 which has 8 pads for playing samples and 8 knobs for controlling sampler params. I usually map to volume, pitch, sample selection, filter type, res, cutoff. And if you stick the sampler in an instrument rack you can also put effects in the rack, and i usually use (and map to knobs) reverb and delay.

So you now have all this control of the sampler going into the looper.

Most of the fun and chaos comes from having hundreds of samples in the sampler - all accessible from one knob. Here is how to do it:

Put the sampler in an instrument rack. Open the zone editor in the sampler. click on SEL for sample selection section. Drag all your samples into the blank space under SEL. Select all the samples you have dragged in (CNTRL A). Right click and DISTRIBUTE RANGES EQUALLY. On the right side, right click on the little orange selector and map it to a macro knob (in the instrument rack). Then map that macro knob to a midi knob!

I hope this helps! Sorry if my instructions are hard to follow. Check youtube for sample tutorials.
krv
I had good times with octatrack and a midi pedalboard in the past ...lovely but confusing: sort of "too much of a good thing" and I missed the momentary factor, if you know what I mean, that's why I switched back to a simple loop pedal.
Pris
I second that. I had that experience with the RC505. It's like the looper becomes the actual instrument.
I had a Digitech Jamman, 2880 before.
2880 was good.
What I've learned for myself:never get a looper with a display anymore.

My wanna have setup: Lofi Loop Junky->El cap (sos mode)
My have setup: Phonogene->DL4(loop mode)
Rooftree
Pris: Could you elaborate on your experience with the RC505? I've been thinking of getting one for a while. I figured having 5 synced tracks with adjustable volume would be handy.

Under what conditions did you find that menu diving was necessary? Any other pros or cons?

BTW, I started with an RC20XL, then a Jamman Stereo, and now I have a Pigtronix Infinity. The Infinity is better than the irst two loopers for me, but I find that if I don't use it often it takes a while for me to re-learn how to run it.
blt
I've got a RC20XL and a handful of other pedals with a looping function, but I'm really wanting something with midi clock sync. Looking at the EHX 45000, Boomerang III, and Infinity Looper. Just want something that will play nice with sequenced synths and drum machines.
dkcg
blt wrote:
I've got a RC20XL and a handful of other pedals with a looping function, but I'm really wanting something with midi clock sync. Looking at the EHX 45000, Boomerang III, and Infinity Looper. Just want something that will play nice with sequenced synths and drum machines.

Echoplex Digital Pro spits out midi clock as soon as you finish your loop. I've synced my whole studio (synths and effects) to a loop w/o issues.

Can sync to midi clock, but what fun is that, lots or loopers can do that.
kragg
I am wondering if we could use the Digitech JamMan metronome's out to act as a clock trigger out to sync with a modular or some other gear ?
Maybe with the Electribe ESX's clock audio input, to be converted in real time as a Midi clock ?
I have just gotten a JamMan, i need to try.
oscillateur
I'd actually be interested in knowing which loopers with (analog. i.e. triggers) sync in and out.

I can sync my DD20 to my modular (the first output of my Pamela's Workout is typically dedicated to that smile ), but something that could also output triggers would be nice I don't use anything with MIDI these days so having to go from MIDI to triggers would be quite a pain in the ass for me...
Rooftree
I haven't used MIDI sync in the Infinity yet. But that's actually the reason I bought it. I'd like to have a drum machine running while I improvise loops on my keys.

A friend of mine bought the RC505 because he felt that its sync was better than any other for his particular setup.
Pris
It is not that you have to look at the display, but I did more than I wanted me to.
I used fadein, fadeout, synced loops, nonsynced loops, mixed synced/nonsynced patches, with master efx, reverse, individual volume, master volume, with track efx...
So there are a lot of possibilities, and then I was menu diving pretty hard.
Changing all that parameters is not so easy on the fly.
As a modular person you feel blessed with total recall of looping patches, but then I ended up prerecording some modular patches for a gig.
At that (long) gig i felt more like remixing my on patches than actually play my modular.
Well, after the gig I sold it. That,in short, is my story of me and the RC505.
To make it shorter: I need to be more limited in my possibilities.
Rooftree
"Limited possibilities" is a good way of unlocking creativity. I can see what you're saying.

I'm still going to consider the RC505 for the future. I'll have no problem ignoring its built-in effects. I guess I'll just need to get my hands on one some day and find out how I gel with it.
Pris
You should try it, imo it is still the best looper around..
But for people like me, the best is too good.
Rooftree
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice!

I just need to wait until I sell off all of the gear I'm not using. Once my shelves are clear I'll have the money and space to buy the RC505 and compare it to the Infinity.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm currently on the lookout for a RC505 myself. The manual makes it look like the best option out there.
MindMachine
I use the old EH 2880 and just also added this little gem:

Rooftree
MindMachine wrote:
I use the old EH 2880 and just also added this little jem:

That looks simple! And I mean that in the best way. Too much complexity stops me in my tracks.
GovernorSilver
The price of this pedal seems to have dropped to $99 at a lot of stores. Kind of tempted at that price:

Also, they have a "get a free Ditto/Ditto X2" promo:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/holiday-giveaway-2014-ditto-looper/
aen
a) That 505 looks awesome, thanks everyone for bringing that back into my wheelhouse.

b) I usually recommend the rc-20 in these situations, but I've actually seen better shows using the digitech Jam-man. (not sure which one, sorry!)
The whole "impossible to sync" aspect of a free running looper in a live band actually brought be to some pretty awesome places, most of which started with "fuck a sync. give me more loopers and amps."
MindMachine
Rooftree wrote:

That looks simple! And I mean that in the best way. Too much complexity stops me in my tracks.

You and me both. This thing is simple as hell and has 11 loops w/ sound on sound style capability.
keykeyeyekit
The 2880 for long and complex loops, the WTPA 1&2 for crusty textural short bits, and the Digitech RDS series for a bit of both. I love using many loopers/samplers simultaneously to exploit both their strengths and weaknesses. Curious to try the new ehx nano looper.
MindMachine
keykeyeyekit wrote:
Curious to try the new ehx nano looper.

It is killer simple and sounds very nice. I have put synths, bass guitar, electric guitar, voice, Casios into it and they all worked fine. It must be a single little chip inside, because it weighs nothing. I wish I had a handheld digi-recorder as simple.

MM
polyslax
Been messing around with Eventide's new looper algo for the H9 (free for now). Lots of fun with the X-Y control on the iPad.
Rooftree
I'm starting to think again about getting an RC-505. Let's see if you folks can talk me into or out of it. smile Here's what I want out of a looper . . .

The biggest factor is ease of use. I want to create, not think. I can't stress this enough. The technical part of my mind runs away and hides when I'm making music.

The second "must have" is good sync to a drum machine, with the drum machine acting as master, not slave.

I won't use any onboard FX, I already have that covered with my existing workflow with other gear.

I'll very rarely make use of fade-in, fade-out, reverse, or decay (AKA feedback or aging).

I'd like to freely and easily record, overdub, undo, play and stop any of the 5 tracks. All tracks should be locked in sync with each other. Track length should be determined on the fly as I record the first track to be whatever length feels right while I'm playing. I assume I can do all of this by smacking the appropriate button and that I won't need to do menu diving, change modes or use button combinations.

It might be nice to set a track to be 1/2 or 1/4 the length of the first track.

I'd sometimes like to change a loop to "one shot" mode without going through too much menu diving or thinking. This isn't a major requirement; it's just a "nice to have".

Can the 505 handle this? I've heard complaints about its ability to MIDI sync. Some people in this thread have talked about complexity and menu diving, but I'm wondering if my stripped down approach will avoid that.
tron23
polyslax wrote:
Been messing around with Eventide's new looper algo for the H9 (free for now). Lots of fun with the X-Y control on the iPad.

Very interesting fact it has a looper algo going on! Guinness ftw!
monstrinho
aen wrote:
a) That 505 looks awesome, thanks everyone for bringing that back into my wheelhouse.

b) I usually recommend the rc-20 in these situations, but I've actually seen better shows using the digitech Jam-man. (not sure which one, sorry!)
The whole "impossible to sync" aspect of a free running looper in a live band actually brought be to some pretty awesome places, most of which started with "fuck a sync. give me more loopers and amps."

It's funny, but a lot of people obsess about how "tight" the sync is on their gear. If all you ever do is microscopically quantized techno, then maybe I can understand it, but I'm definitely more of a "fuck sync" person. Not having everything sync up perfectly leads to interesting accidents, things you would never discover otherwise. My setup for a really long time was an old Digitech PDS-8000 and a PDS-2000 with no sync at all between them!

On another note, there's actually a feature I would like to see on a looper, which AFAIK doe not exist anywhere; offset. I'd like to be able to record a loop, copy it to a blank track and then use the "offset" to put it slightly out of sync with the original so I could do simulated tape phasing / flanging. Easy to do in a DAW, obviously, but not something I've seen in hardware.
Paranormal Patroler
That's why I use the ACME4. thumbs up
MindMachine
[quote="monstrinho"]
aen wrote:
a)
On another note, there's actually a feature I would like to see on a looper, which AFAIK doe not exist anywhere; offset. I'd like to be able to record a loop, copy it to a blank track and then use the "offset" to put it slightly out of sync with the original so I could do simulated tape phasing / flanging. Easy to do in a DAW, obviously, but not something I've seen in hardware.

Couldn't you just use a Y splitter on the out put and put a delay/flanger one one channel. Not built in and requires a delay/flanger.
monstrinho
[quote="MindMachine"]
monstrinho wrote:
aen wrote:
a)

Couldn't you just use a Y splitter on the out put and put a delay/flanger one one channel. Not built in and requires a delay/flanger.

I could, but tape flanging / phasing sounds very different than any flanger or phaser pedal out there (except maybe the new Strymon Deco). It also would not allow you to push things a little further into Steve Reich "Come Out" territory. Also, unless the pedal in question has either MIDI or tap tempo and can be synced to start the LFO sweep with the looper, it would not work at all. It also would not allow me to do other kinds of varispeed effects that would require disengaging the LFO and varying the speed manually. I'll need to investigate further, maybe there's a lopper out there that can do what I'm imagining, but it would probably require digging under the hood and menu diving. I'd like to see it as a dedicated front panel control. Strymon could easily build the device I'm thinking of, since they already have all of the code sitting there finished. It would just be a matter of putting it in a new box with a slightly different interface.
MrNovember
monstrinho wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
monstrinho wrote:

I could, but tape flanging / phasing sounds very different than any flanger or phaser pedal out there (except maybe the new Strymon Deco). It also would not allow you to push things a little further into Steve Reich "Come Out" territory. Also, unless the pedal in question has either MIDI or tap tempo and can be synced to start the LFO sweep with the looper, it would not work at all. It also would not allow me to do other kinds of varispeed effects that would require disengaging the LFO and varying the speed manually. I'll need to investigate further, maybe there's a lopper out there that can do what I'm imagining, but it would probably require digging under the hood and menu diving. I'd like to see it as a dedicated front panel control. Strymon could easily build the device I'm thinking of, since they already have all of the code sitting there finished. It would just be a matter of putting it in a new box with a slightly different interface.

This isn't quite what you're looking for but check out mode 3 of the Montreal Assembly Count to 5.
It has limited recording length (like ~8s I think) but in mode 3 it produces 3 layers of the loop with a speed control for each
http://mtlasm.blogspot.ca/p/count-to.html

Also mode 1 is a weird pitch shifting glitchy delay and mode 2 is a granular sampler. Overall, best pedal I own we're not worthy
JohnLRice
Just FYI: I noticed an eBay auction for a lot of damaged Ditto X2 pedals. eek! Did that many people run over them with their cars or is TC making the metal of the casing too thin? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

polyslax
Was messing around with the H9 looper on some Nord Drum 2 last night. The iPad interface is pretty satisfying:

http://soundcloud.com/polyslax/sets/plastic-fjord
monstrinho
MrNovember wrote:

This isn't quite what you're looking for but check out mode 3 of the Montreal Assembly Count to 5.
It has limited recording length (like ~8s I think) but in mode 3 it produces 3 layers of the loop with a speed control for each

Also mode 1 is a weird pitch shifting glitchy delay and mode 2 is a granular sampler. Overall, best pedal I own we're not worthy

Not exactly what I was looking for, but close, and seriously cool! Thanks for the link, I had never heard of any of these pedals at all.
MrNovember
monstrinho wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

Not exactly what I was looking for, but close, and seriously cool! Thanks for the link, I had never heard of any of these pedals at all.

Not a problem. They're a pretty small pedal company, I caught wind of them through another pedal related forum (ILF). The owner, Scott, is a really cool guy too.

I definitely recommend picking up a Count to 5. I've spent hours messing with mine. It won't give pristine loops or anything super accurate, but that's really not what it's built for.
booyaldy
Recommendation for someone who doesn't have any pedals? I'd like to get one for my bass, and my Grendel drone machine.
Pris
After 6 years of looping and 6 designated loopers later I`d recommend:

Boss DD5-7 (on the side you can use it as a delay hihi )
C and G Kaleidoloop for hands-on action. Insanely expensive for what it is, but insanely easy, funny, understatement.
Pris
Just imagining:

Kaleidoloop sitting on a Drone Commander.
The only gear on stage eek!
monstrinho
Pris wrote:
Kaleidoloop [...]. Insanely expensive for what it is [...]

In a nutshell, yes. I imagine I would love it, but it's just crazy, crazy, crazy expensive for such a basic device. And yes, I understand the whole "support independent manufacturers blah blah blah" argument. At the end of the day, three bills will buy me a lot of other interesting things, so I can't justify it. I could get a used Boomerang 3 for the same amount, and I know which of the two I'd rather have...
chvad
another oigtronix infinity lover here. the new firmware is fantastic. feature loaded. easy if that what youwant. deep if you want deep. the midi timing is awwwwwwesome.
MindMachine
MrNovember wrote:
monstrinho wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

Not a problem. They're a pretty small pedal company, I caught wind of them through another pedal related forum (ILF). The owner, Scott, is a really cool guy too.

I definitely recommend picking up a Count to 5. I've spent hours messing with mine. It won't give pristine loops or anything super accurate, but that's really not what it's built for.

I think I am sold on the Count to 5. Thanks a ton. That would be a trip w/ something like an Earthquaker Rainbow Machine after it.
Pris
monstrinho wrote:
Pris wrote:
Kaleidoloop [...]. Insanely expensive for what it is [...]

In a nutshell, yes. I imagine I would love it, but it's just crazy, crazy, crazy expensive for such a basic device. And yes, I understand the whole "support independent manufacturers blah blah blah" argument. At the end of the day, three bills will buy me a lot of other interesting things, so I can't justify it. I could get a used Boomerang 3 for the same amount, and I know which of the two I'd rather have...

I understand exactly what you mean.....,but anybody related to sampling/looping would love it. Actually I bought it for my six-year-old, so I was able to justify the purchase.
Good as a field recorder as well.
p.s. don't tell anybody else, but I don't care about manufacturers being independent or not that much 8_) 8_)
Rooftree
chvad wrote:
another oigtronix infinity lover here. the new firmware is fantastic. feature loaded. easy if that what youwant. deep if you want deep. the midi timing is awwwwwwesome.

The latest firmware update is working? The last I saw a few months ago there were still bugs. I guess I'd better download it and give it a shot.
EMwhite
Please let us know if the Pig firmware is now solid. There was the other thread, but my head was spinning trying to make sense of it. As always, I find more risk than fancy features that might not work.

Mine still has shipping version and aside from the few things that I know of which will reset it (self inflicted), it works well especially with Midi clock and that is important to me.
chvad
Rooftree wrote:
chvad wrote:

The latest firmware update is working? The last I saw a few months ago there were still bugs. I guess I'd better download it and give it a shot.

Yeah, the Release Candidate 2.0 Build 150. That's been super stable and useable for me. Ive tested it a LOT with clocks with great results. Haven't had any stability issues.
Rooftree
Thanks chvad, that's great to hear! I think I'm on build 119. Time to update!
dadek
chvad wrote:
Ive tested it a LOT with clocks with great results. Haven't had any stability issues.

Being clocked, or clocking others? Guinness ftw!
Sinamsis
It's not a pedal but some people swear by this:

http://www.circularlabs.com/index.html

And I imagine you could program a MIDI pedal like an FCB1010 to control it.

Also the Timeline has a decent looper. Although only 30 seconds of looping.
chvad
dadek wrote:
chvad wrote:
Ive tested it a LOT with clocks with great results. Haven't had any stability issues.

Being clocked, or clocking others? Guinness ftw!

DEF being clocked. it doesn't transmit clock itself.
dadek
cool. i've been using my EH16 to clock my modular. it'd be cool to add a looper then clocked to that... eek! hrmmm....
dkcg
dadek wrote:
cool. i've been using my EH16 to clock my modular. it'd be cool to add a looper then clocked to that... eek! hrmmm....

Echoplex Digital Pro

I have yet to sync it to midi clock, it's usually sending clock out to everything (modular, drum machines, rack effects, etc.)

I was a bit disappointed that the Infinity has no midi output. EDP works great. Starts sending a midi clock and I think a start message as soon as you close the loop.
dadek
cool, i have an EDP as well, but have never used in this context. i'd just never paid any attention to the 'clock', as i'm usually a free time, textural kind of looper. exciting times. Guinness ftw!
ettubaby
Probably the most amazing use of a loopers I've seen was at a SXSW several years ago by this guy called Kishibashi. What ever pedal he was using, thats what I would use.
ray
The Ditto x2 is nice. You should take a closer look to the double tap and long tap functions. This is where most modern loopers fail.
I had the Digitech DL4, Boss RC20XL, RC300, Boomerang III, and still have the Ditto X2, Memoryman with Hazarai (also a looper) and will definitely stick to the oberheim/gibson echoplex edp pro which actually sends sync to the Strymon timeline. The Edp is my "newest" looper and really the most flexible one. And it feels really like an instrument.
kbithecrowing
ettubaby wrote:
Probably the most amazing use of a loopers I've seen was at a SXSW several years ago by this guy called Kishibashi. What ever pedal he was using, thats what I would use.

That good ol' DL4

Paranormal Patroler
MrNovember wrote:
monstrinho wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

love love That's a lovely pedal!
Jamesf1
Have a look into the Eventide Timefactor. Not specifically a looper but it does contain one that it is very straight forward to use. You can also get granular effects out of it which makes it good for experimental sounds plus all of the delays. Price isn't bad if you buy used either.
Kaput
Jamesf1 wrote:
Have a look into the Eventide Timefactor. Not specifically a looper but it does contain one that it is very straight forward to use. You can also get granular effects out of it which makes it good for experimental sounds plus all of the delays. Price isn't bad if you buy used either.

And they've very recently updated the firmware, so the Looper function is way better than previously (no annoying clicks, for one thing).
johnnydeformed
I have the Ditto X2 and it's fantastic. I tried the Jamman Stereo but I use the looper in my effects loop and hated the impact on tone the Jamman had. It would be cool if the stop/reverse/half speed function was footswitchable but it's a small gripe.
Rooftree
I just bought an RC-505 from a guy on CL in another city. It should arrive in a few days. If it works out as well as I expect it will be bye-bye for the Pigtronix Infinity.

I'm making the change so I can have 5 tracks with easy controls over each. Visual indicators of loop length and status should be nice too.

I'll report back once I have a chance to give the 505 a try.
Paranormal Patroler
Waiting on a 2880 in the next few weeks. Hey Rooftree, if you decide you're not into the RC505 I might be interested as it's high on my WTB list.
Rooftree
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Waiting on a 2880 in the next few weeks. Hey Rooftree, if you decide you're not into the RC505 I might be interested as it's high on my WTB list.

Nah, you don't want the RC505. It's terrible. But could I interest you in a Pigtronix Infinity that I'm selling?

Just kidding. lol So far the RC505 looks like a keeper. I haven't synced it to MIDI or done anything other than the basics yet. But it's allowed me to make music in a way that fits my personal style. It's super simple to record, start, stop and adjust levels for each track. And I was surprised to find that the onboard drum machine is fairly decent.
Paranormal Patroler
Would you be so kind as to record a track with the drum loops? There are no examples of the on-board drum tracks. very frustrating
glia
MrNovember wrote:
monstrinho wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

love love That's a lovely pedal!
that thing is gorgeous
Rooftree
Would you be so kind as to record a track with the drum loops? There are no examples of the on-board drum tracks. very frustrating

I'll try to get around to that this weekend. I'm swamped with too many things to do at the moment. Remind me if I don't get around to it by Monday.

FYI the rhythm section has a few dozen settings, each containing a non-tweakable rhythm. Rhythms are mostly simple and range from just a hi-hat, to hi-hat + kick, 909 kick and clap, acoustic rock kit, and a couple of Latin rhythms.
Paranormal Patroler
I fully understand their purpose and my intention is quite aligned to it: I want to have a drum track as an in-ear guide for my pianist to keep tempo. But still, I'm very curious as to their quality so some sort of demo would be excellent. Thank you very much for your time.
YellowBlood
Has anyone tried one of these? It seems to sound ok and it's so tiny, I'd be very afraid to stomp on it lol
blinosynth
do you think guys the 45000/2880 with an octatrack would sound cool?
or just a waste of money
octatrack is enough?
Paranormal Patroler
My only gripe with pedals such as the one above (or the Ditto pedal which is of similar fashion) is their lack of any form of external sync. I find that preposterous.
ChurchyLaFemme
I'm loving the Ditto! Simple and intuitive to learn, and offers a pretty long loop if you're trying to arrange an entire song.
DonaldCrunk
blinosynth wrote:
do you think guys the 45000/2880 with an octatrack would sound cool?
or just a waste of money
octatrack is enough?

I've dreamed about a 45000 plus Octatrack combination, it would really be synced looping heaven for ambient stuff.
zilzilzilzil
Boss RC-20 works fine, but I find it annoying. Might look into the TC Ditto and sell the boss
technicoloraudio
I never found the pickup machines on the octatrack to be sufficient replacements for a multitrack looper like the 2880/45000 or boomerang iii. I use the rang iii and sidecar and I love it. I like how I can't save loops. Everything is in the now. No future no past.
knifey
+1 for the Timefactor looper. WAAAY underrated and under-discussed. I use it exclusively as a looper.

I really need to record a demo of it soon.
smetak
knifey wrote:
+1 for the Timefactor looper. WAAAY underrated and under-discussed. I use it exclusively as a looper.

I really need to record a demo of it soon.

One of the wigglers opened my eyes to the looper on the Timefactor, which I had overlooked - still getting the hang of it, but, yeah, pretty amazing.
knifey
I think i was the one who was talking about the Timefactor looper in that other thread. smile
smetak
knifey wrote:
I think i was the one who was talking about the Timefactor looper in that other thread. smile

If it was you, man, can't thank you enough! If it weren't for your note, would have never even tried the looper on the Timefactor!!!
MindMachine
YellowBlood wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these? It seems to sound ok and it's so tiny, I'd be very afraid to stomp on it lol

I do not have Wally but do have the 'tape Eko' one. These things are the most robust pedals I have ever seen. You could break a windshield on a car with this sucker. The little bar on it protects the knobs. It may be a little wobbly to stomp since it is so small.

Wally temps me.
cram1960
I've had the Boomerang, Boss RC-20, Pigtronix Infinity and the Ditto.

I like the ditto the best...it's the simplest to operate. I might get the dual Ditto, just to be able to have 2 loops .

The Pigtronix was badassed, (had a lot of modes and functions, etc) but in the end simpler worked better for me.
krz
[quote="sascha.victoria"]About 10 years ago I had a Boss RC20 which had a great reverse / over dub function. Looking at looping pedals now they are much more advanced but I don't see an easy way to record a loop, reverse, and overdub or make another loop. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Any suggestions for a modern looping pedal?[/quote]

A great resource for looping in general is the Looper's Delight website.
smetak
[/quote]

A great resource for looping in general is the Looper's Delight website.[/quote]

Amazing!!! Thanks!!
MindMachine
I love my EH Nano Loop 360 for simplicity and compactness, but NOW I see they have a new improved 720 Looper with Reverse and Octave down (edit: 1/2 Speed) like the 2880. Awesome. And it's stereo and has two switches for easy action.

http://www.ehx.com/products/720-stereo-looper

Killer demo:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/720Looper?adpos=1t1&creative=83 049425281&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CPuFmNTSrcoCFcZlfgodNgc PSg

smetak
MindMachine wrote:
I love my EH Nano Loop 360 for simplicity and compactness, but NOW I see they have a new improved 720 Looper with Reverse and Octave down (edit: 1/2 Speed) like the 2880. Awesome. And it's stereo and has two switches for easy action.

Nice.
MA.n
scozbor wrote:

+1 in just recording through your DAW, unless you are looking for hardware looper..
knifey
Once again, I can't gush enough about the looper on the Timefactor. It's not another boring looper attached to a delay pedal. It's serious. I've preordered the Count To Five and I'm still keeping the Timefactor which i use exclusively as a looper/sampler. 

Sample start, loop length - you can trim it down to under 10ms. Granular stuff. 
Reverse playback/record with firmware update 
Multiple pitch-shitfing modes - octaves, 5ths, dominants, chromatic, free 
Multiple overdub/replace modes - glitch and pitch all you want 
Even has a basic LP/HP filter 
Sampling/recording speed - 1x, 2x, 1/2x, 1/4x.

The expression pedal can be assigned to MULTIPLE parameters with multiple value ranges (even inverted values). 

MIDI input for midi control of all parameters. Get a Keith McMillan softstep and control all of these with your other foot.
rembrandtvanrijn
smetak wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Nice.

I just got one, it has a 60 second fadeout which is the thing I've been needing for ages!
smetak
rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
smetak wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Nice.

I just got one, it has a 60 second fadeout which is the thing I've been needing for ages!

Ah yes, a trails mode. In good part, bought a boomerang (great pedal, but massive in size) due to the fade outs and ins. It would be the only effect that would make my day....if only the ditto had it. Needless to say, volume pedal a must.
doralin
I love the Strymon Timeline for looping - you can have the delay running at the same time while looping so sorta saves pedal real estate!
rembrandtvanrijn
smetak wrote:
rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
smetak wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Nice.

Ah yes, a trails mode. In good part, bought a boomerang (great pedal, but massive in size) due to the fade outs and ins. It would be the only effect that would make my day....if only the ditto had it. Needless to say, volume pedal a must.

I let go of my Boomerang because the fade affects all loops at the same time...so it looks like I'm going to have four of these in my rig now! One in front and 3 at the end for each of my amps.
Hougaard
New Ditto X4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6FBgf5Me0
Spartacus
Bought a used JamMan Express XT and I'm happy with it.
Vorg
The Ditto X4 looks spectacular, I really appreciated the sound quality of the X2 but needed a midi-syncable one: now, there you have it!
smetak
Vorg wrote:
The Ditto X4 looks spectacular, I really appreciated the sound quality of the X2 but needed a midi-syncable one: now, there you have it!

Seems like a carbon copy of the Boomerang III, but with a friendlier user-interface.
Bonefish67
I have the ditto X4 on the way. I'll let you know how it works out. I can't wait to pair it up with the MF-104M, CT5 and the OBNE Dark Star. Next pedal on my hit list is the Red Panda Particle....Getting ready to F some shit up...
-Mike
pinhole_sunrise
Vorg wrote:

Just in case it's not obvious to folks, plus the manual isn't posted yet, you can use more than one of the effects at a time like on the Ditto x2. That was a concern of mine.
cheater
sascha.victoria wrote:
About 10 years ago I had a Boss RC20 which had a great reverse / over dub function. Looking at looping pedals now they are much more advanced but I don't see an easy way to record a loop, reverse, and overdub or make another loop. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Any suggestions for a modern looping pedal?

This is probably obvious, but Ableton Live is the ultimate looper.
T of J
I use a Boss RC-505 and I couldn't be happier.
It easily operates with a shoeless foot and has tons of options.
Great for guitar and synths (or both).
...though it is huge...but you get 5 tracks.
vrl
As you "mature" more into looping, and start "looping with the big boys" as I call it... you may become interested in a more esoteric/obscure/arcane (or whatever) looper, such as this one in particular. Its a dual pedal looping device, though is not for everyone as it certainly has its own ups and downs...

https://web.archive.org/web/20070812224458/http://www.chs1.com/looper3 .html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070809204447/http://www.chs1.com/looper2 .html
scozbor
cheater wrote:
This is probably obvious, but Ableton Live is the ultimate looper.

Unless you are already using Ableton for a million other simultaneous tasks and you need a better interface than hitting the PAGE button 4 times to get to the looper controls (which you can never remember) hihi
smetak
vrl wrote:
As you "mature" more into looping, and start "looping with the big boys" as I call it... you may become interested in a more esoteric/obscure/arcane (or whatever) looper, such as this one in particular. Its a dual pedal looping device, though is not for everyone as it certainly has its own ups and downs...

https://web.archive.org/web/20070812224458/http://www.chs1.com/looper3 .html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070809204447/http://www.chs1.com/looper2 .html

Yes, right on the mark! Forget the Boomerang - this is THE looper!

But do they sell an auxiliary footswitch?
evs
I Love my ditto loopers! So intuitive and easy.

The strymon timeline is indeed a very good looper too. You can record the delay in the looper and than put a different delay into the recorded thing.. Great!
The time factor was too complicated. I found it not intuitive at all, sadly..

And what's about this zvex looper? Crazy expensive.
And they say it's analogue.. How can it be? Is there tape inside?
The sound is tempting..
smetak
evs wrote:
The strymon timeline is indeed a very good looper too. You can record the delay in the looper and than put a different delay into the recorded thing.. Great!

Only recently have I come around to fooling around with the Timeline's looper after I got the Multi - must say, having a good deal of fun with it, experimenting with the vast array of delays available - you can come up with some very wild and crazy sounds from it.
Jason Brock
Any Ditto X4 users care to offer opinions? It seems like the best bang for the buck, but I've read about some reliability problems on other forums.
smetak
Jason Brock wrote:
Any Ditto X4 users care to offer opinions? It seems like the best bang for the buck, but I've read about some reliability problems on other forums.

Despite my preference for a Boomerang III, for the price - the Ditto x4 is the best out there.

Bought it a while ago (have a bunch of Dittos - seem that you can never have enough Dittos) and have found no issues with it. Built like a tank and does what it has do quite well.
Granny
i have the ehx 720 and im very happy with it
Jason Brock
Granny wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking about that one too, I like EHX stuff a lot. The X4 may be overkill for me.
EDIT - I just ordered the 720. Smaller size and 10 memory slots won me over.
Sinamsis
I recently snagged the EHX 22500 second hand for a very reasonable price....I'm using it on my pedal board and dig it. BUT I really wish there was an external tap input. It's the only thing that's missing for me. The 720 doesn't have that, does it?

The Ditto stuff seems nice, but the x 4 is a pretty big footprint.
smetak
Jason Brock wrote:
Granny wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking about that one too, I like EHX stuff a lot. The X4 may be overkill for me.
EDIT - I just ordered the 720. Smaller size and 10 memory slots won me over.

To have just a single loop, I would go for either a Ditto or a ehx 360, which you can pick up used for around $70 or less.
Jason Brock
smetak wrote:
To have just a single loop, I would go for either a Ditto or a ehx 360, which you can pick up used for around $70 or less.

I had a coupon so the 720 came to $110 shipped, brand new. Dedicated stop switch and reverse/half speed are features I will definitely use.
bougie
love the simple ditto for on the fly looping, switches are soft too which is nice when using with fingers.

also use a strymon el cap in looping mode for gritty-degrading loops.

thinking of picking up one of those send/return module (malekko snd/rtn etc), to loop my euro stuff with pedals and send it back in.
anybody rocking a similar setup?
mgla
+1 for EHX Nano 360. Simple, reliable, gets things done.

Doubles as sampler / "intro playback" for live duties. Worth recording the intro to two slots for backup purposes, too.
smetak
mgla wrote:
+1 for EHX Nano 360. Simple, reliable, gets things done.

Doubles as sampler / "intro playback" for live duties. Worth recording the intro to two slots for backup purposes, too.

Just got one to use on a pedal board with a solidgold fuzz and wren & cuff octavia.
p.j.
YellowBlood wrote:

I have one. It is cool. Just have to be careful with the recording level so you don't overload it. Digital distortion is kind of ugly. I like that you can do the Bill Frisell speed up/slow down thing with this pedal. I also like that it has about 15 minutes of loop space. Great for the price and rock solid. You don't have to be afraid to stomp on it. Hotone pedals are all metal and tough.
Antlerface
In my experience if you want a compact but super easy to use looper the 360 is the way to go. The ditto x2 is a solid step up for a bit more real estate, and if you wanna go balls to the wall the Boomeramg or Infinity Looper are gonna be your guys!
indexofmetals
bougie wrote:
thinking of picking up one of those send/return module (malekko snd/rtn etc), to loop my euro stuff with pedals and send it back in.
anybody rocking a similar setup?

I've got two of those, mainly to access loopers. Well worth the HP space. I'm tempted to get another pair.
controlFreak
Anyone know of any loopers that can sync/quantize to a clock pulse?
monolithicfungus
Anyone every try using a Boss DD-20 as a looper? It's more of a full featured delay pedal, but does have limited looping capabilities. I was just reading one of my favorite ambient artists, Benoit Pioulard uses one, and his sounds are super creamy dreamy.
Johnnyfive
controlFreak wrote:

The boss dd20 can take a clock signal into the ctrl pedal input when it’s set to receive tap tempo. If you use the standard delay with 100% feedback, and use the on/off bypass switch to record, it functions like a looper.

It’s stereo so in theory you could use left and right as two separate loop tracks, although they would both have to be the same length. Haven’t tried this yet but will do when I have time to experiment - happy to report back.

Im having a bit of an issue with the very beginning of the loop getting distorted/glitchy over time - I think this is because the clock varies slightly in frequency, thereby moving the delay time slightly, so it should be an easy fix by just muting the clock signal once the pedal is synced. Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

[quote=“monolithicfungus”]I was just reading one of my favorite ambient artists, Benoit Pioulard uses one, and his sounds are super creamy dreamy[/quote]

A little off topic but any recommendations on which album to start with? I’ve listened to some of his stuff and never really gelled with it, despite being into lots of similar artists and a big fan of Kranky’s catalog
monolithicfungus
@Johnnyfive Oh wow, hearing that the DD-20 could sync to pulse is very exciting.

Quote:
Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

Please do, would love to hear what the experiments yield.

Re: Benoit. His single Noyaux really hooked me, and if you dig that, try his album Sonnet. I dig his ambient stuff more than his indie folk. He also plays with Rafael Anton Irisarri in the band Orcas.

we're not worthy
Navs
The Electrix Repeater, which I happen to have for sale here, has a Beat Detect function.
R.U.Nuts
controlFreak wrote:

What about the Digitech JamMan express. It has minijack sync in- and outputs but I haven't found any infos on which kind of signals work with it. Has anybody here dared to plug an analog clock into it?
futureman
I picked up a Ditto X4 because of the midi functions...unfortunately I kind of hate the pedal. I get weird glitches where there's no audio. Certain settings make loop points click and pop like crazy. loop starts and stops are supposed to sort of quantize to the midi clock, but I've found it's not very reliable and my loops inevitably start drifting...maybe it's user error, but either way I dont find it to be worth the real estate it takes up on my pedal board and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Now I just use a midi footswitch I made and use ableton session view for looping, or I sample on the fly to a Digitakt.

Another minor complaint on the dittoX4 - it has a sort of obnoxiously long start up time.
monolithicfungus
@futureman oh no, that sucks. I would be upset as well.

Ditto x 2 users, have you experienced any similar issues or is this a x4 specific issue?
Jason Brock
monolithicfungus wrote:

Ditto x 2 users, have you experienced any similar issues or is this a x4 specific issue?

I don't own either, but I did a lot of reading online before buying and these complaints are common about the x4 (but not the x2).
futureman
monolithicfungus wrote:

I had an X2 previously and didn't have these issues.
R.U.Nuts
Ditto X2 has no MIDI, so it's rather impossible to have the aforementioned issues the X4 seems to have, right? seriously, i just don't get it
futureman
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Ditto X2 has no MIDI, so it's rather impossible to have the aforementioned issues the X4 seems to have, right? seriously, i just don't get it

Well, to clarify the clicks and pops at loop points isn't coming from midi functionality and happens without any midi connected. It can mostly be taken care of by changing one of the rear DIP switches ( I think the bypass mode switch ). Once the DIP is in the right position for your particular setup I'd say it doesnt click and pop more often than other loopers, but in the wrong position it clicks and pops on every single loop recorded, and every repeat. Without it being mentioned in the manual's troubleshooting it just added to the frustration of owning the pedal...I dont even care now that I've solved it because of how many times it killed my vibe before that.
scottmoon
futureman wrote:
I picked up a Ditto X4 because of the midi functions...unfortunately I kind of hate the pedal. I get weird glitches where there's no audio. Certain settings make loop points click and pop like crazy. loop starts and stops are supposed to sort of quantize to the midi clock, but I've found it's not very reliable and my loops inevitably start drifting...maybe it's user error, but either way I dont find it to be worth the real estate it takes up on my pedal board and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Now I just use a midi footswitch I made and use ableton session view for looping, or I sample on the fly to a Digitakt.

Another minor complaint on the dittoX4 - it has a sort of obnoxiously long start up time.

My Ditto X4, along with 3 other friends that have them, have all died. A reinstall of the firmware fixed mine for about a week. Now it's dead again and won't even take the firmware update. I've heard this has happened to a lot of people and TC Electronics has been mute.
MindMachine
Anyone own the EH 720? I have the nano 360 (and 2880) but find the 720 features more playable than the 360, which is nice for a digital replacement to a tape loop (or 11). I should just score it for backwards.
smetak
scottmoon wrote:
futureman wrote:

My Ditto X4, along with 3 other friends that have them, have all died. A reinstall of the firmware fixed mine for about a week. Now it's dead again and won't even take the firmware update. I've heard this has happened to a lot of people and TC Electronics has been mute.

Hum......I bought a Ditto X4 - works perfectly. Absolutely no noise, no glitches, no hiss, nothing - does what it should and the thing is built like a tank. Maybe lucky?
futureman
smetak wrote:
scottmoon wrote:
futureman wrote:

Hum......I bought a Ditto X4 - works perfectly. Absolutely no noise, no glitches, no hiss, nothing - does what it should and the thing is built like a tank. Maybe lucky?

Wouldn't surprise me if they've sorted a lot of it out. Early adopters always get shafted. Like I said - most of my issues were sorted by the end but the grief leading up to it, and the huge footprint still leave it on my personal chopping block.
Johnnyfive
monolithicfungus wrote:
@Johnnyfive Oh wow, hearing that the DD-20 could sync to pulse is very exciting.

Quote:
Again, gonna play around this weekend so can let you know.

Please do, would love to hear what the experiments yield.

sorry for the delay in getting back to you, finally got round to having a proper play with syncing the dd20. the problem i'm finding is that the clock i'm sending is not stable enough - every pulse is at a very slightly different time, meaning that it changes the speed of the delay very slightly with each "loop". this means that there's a click/distortion thing at the beginning of every loop which gets gradually worse with every repetition. i've tried with the pulse output of both a dixie and a ladik lfo, and the dixie seems slightly better. one workaround is to patch a mute/attenuator between the clock and the dd20, so that you can send an initial four taps to set tempo, then mute the clock to leave it set. the problem is that the delay is then not going to be totally locked into everything else on the same clock.

while checking out the DLD manual, i came across this:

"The DLD has a very precise and jitter-free internal clock (less than 0.0001% at 120BPM). If ever possible, it's recommended
to use the DLD as the master clock. However, using external gear to clock the DLD is also possible. One problem with using
external clocks is that lots of equipment generates clocks with a lot of jitter. Sometimes the tempo may vary by as much as 2-
3BPM."

the DLD has some clever "External Clock De-jittering" algorithms to get around this, but the DD20 obviously doesn't. so basically, maybe with a super precise clock you'd be able to to get it to sync without problems, but otherwise it might not be the best option.
Jason Brock
MindMachine wrote:
Anyone own the EH 720? I have the nano 360 (and 2880) but find the 720 features more playable than the 360, which is nice for a digital replacement to a tape loop (or 11). I should just score it for backwards.

I went with the 720 and I really like it. It's the perfect mix of size vs features for me. No complaints at all, it works great.
iron98
I went for the EH 22500 after trying the 720. That one extra loop can make all the difference.
Re the clock sync, unless you are trying to sync over a long time (over 5 minutes) I actually found that a tap-tempo seems to stay suprisingly in-time and most of the (pedal format) loopers I looked at that had a midi sync seemed to be a lot more expensive than the ones without.
notjoesuthers
I love my DL4s. They can be finicky, but the looping is so intuitive. And you get some solid delay sounds as well!
evs
i just found the finhol looper, i posted it here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207051&highlight=

and now i was thinking, what looper under 200$ can also give out clock, or midi clock? (so, to act as a master)

maybe theres something better out there i oversee:-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 6