MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

weird noise module suggestions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author weird noise module suggestions?
Sir Ruff
So in a vague follow-up to my "percussion sound" suggestions, let me present a choice I have to make in the next day or so...

I've just gotten my blacet system up and running with a EG1, WC, BZ, mult (and shortly a miniwave) + my new SEM and CP251. Been a lot of fun so far with just this setup.

Ready to be potentially added are a wiard noise ring, metalbox waveshaper and klangwerk, but for $$$ sake, I think I am going to stick with just two of these. Good prices on the former two, and what they seem to offer in the way of "new" sound creation has me thinking the NR and WS are the way to go. But I have also heard many good things about the KW (which is also cheaper). The only thing holding me back is the feeling that it's really just a glorified (if very good sounding) ring mod.

I'm really after making up new and weird sounds, so the KW almost seems too traditional (as much as I love that sound). What do other think in terms of bang for buck? ( I should say that the noise ring is pretty much a definite-unless anyone has any reason it shouldn't be!- so it's more a debate between the WS and KW).
parasitk
FWIW the Klang doesn't really sound like a traditional ring mod (usually). Also, unless someone puts one up for sale, or you start a Euro rig to compliment the Frac, good luck finding a Noise Ring (unfortunately)! The CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier seems like one serious FSU module though, although I've never owned one.
Sir Ruff
parasitk wrote:
FWIW the Klang doesn't really sound like a traditional ring mod (usually). Also, unless someone puts one up for sale, or you start a Euro rig to compliment the Frac, good luck finding a Noise Ring (unfortunately)! The CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier seems like one serious FSU module though, although I've never owned one.

ok... yeah, I'm sure it's more than just a ring mod, hence my debate.

and the noise ring is being sold and held for me so that solves that! lol
parasitk
Nice!

I think between the Klang and Wave Multiplier, I'd rather have the WM (I had a Klang, sold it).
Kent
The CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier is one of my very favorite modules. I haven't used the Grinder & Lockhart sections much as they tend to be too extreme for my tastes, but hot-damn if this design isn't the bee's knees.

I also have the Tube VCA. Metalbox offers both of these fine modules in one fat slice of awesome.

Be sure to check out my CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier sound file here. There are also sound files on the Metalbox page.
Malekko
(hi Kent)

(Dinner at the Y)
thetwlo
Wave Mult! (sold my Klang as well) The WM is great, one of the only Frac modules I'm keeping.
DGTom
I don't actually count the Wave Multiplier as a wierd module lol

Having said that.... you NEED the WM!!!!!! I use it in every single patch, but, get the Noise Ring first thumbs up

I really like my Klang Voice.... which is a bastardized, modded to all hell Klangwerk, I rewired its insides so it operates as seperate balanced modulator, VCO & wave shaper.
Ekofisk
I bought parasitik's KW, and really love it. I use it in almost every patch.

It has a really dirty feel to it, and combined with a couple of Blacet VCOs (making full use of the fm inputs) it can do all sorts of nasty shit.
Cat-A-Tonic
DGTom wrote:
I really like my Klang Voice.... which is a bastardized, modded to all hell Klangwerk, I rewired its insides so it operates as seperate balanced modulator, VCO & wave shaper.

How about giving us the details about said mods and bastardizations in a new thread?
Pretty please; with sugar on...
Cybananna
I've never used the WM. However, Im certain it would be a great module to have.

If youhave the opportunity to get a frac noise ring, get it. Don't think twice. Even of it's not what you are looking for you can always easily resell it. Finding another later may be difficult so give it a run while you can.

The KW is certainly not just a rung mod. It's the most versatile ring mod I've ever used. I love it.
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
DGTom wrote:

How about giving us the details about said mods and bastardizations in a new thread?
Pretty please; with sugar on...

No problems, I'll dig it out of the rack tomorrow, take some pics & write it up... It was actually pretty simple, I think I added 1 or 2 parts & it doesn't require any surgery (no trace cutting) so you can take it back to stock without any problems / damage grin
Sir Ruff
Ok, so it sounds like the NR is s no-brainer (I figured as much...) and the WS seems to be getting a few more votes in its favor.

DG-the WS example you posted actually sounds very ring-mod like... or actually I guess it's more like FM, or some weird in-between.. but it covers a little of that ground anyways.

Really, I should just get the KW too while I'm at it, but I'm trying to be vaguely sensible and at this point, after the all the aforementioned modules arrive, I'll have like 4 rack spaces left! meh and I'm thinking a VCA is probably a useful addition at that point!
fluxmonkey
to save $ & realestate, you could throw a simple passive ring-mod into one of your rack ears, using ken stones board ($30, populated, plus a couple of bucks for the jacks). it's no KlangWork, but it sounds pretty good.

b
BananaPlug
Quote:
Ok, so it sounds like the NR is s no-brainer (I figured as much...)
Let me know how that turns out. I constantly see raves about this module and the concept of it appeals to me but sound samples haven't pushed any of my buttons yet. Like everything else modular, it comes down to what you like.
Sir Ruff
fluxmonkey wrote:
to save $ & realestate, you could throw a simple passive ring-mod into one of your rack ears, using ken stones board ($30, populated, plus a couple of bucks for the jacks). it's no KlangWork, but it sounds pretty good.

b

good idea... haven't looked at much of that stuff yet as I'm really not a DIY person. but a ring mod would definitely be one of the easier things to build. Where does one get faceplates for these things?

BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so it sounds like the NR is s no-brainer (I figured as much...)
Let me know how that turns out. I constantly see raves about this module and the concept of it appeals to me but sound samples haven't pushed any of my buttons yet. Like everything else modular, it comes down to what you like.

I think since I had already been eyeing the blacet ID, grabbing this really made sense. Hearing the demos where it can be used as an oscillator or filter (and presumably modulator), sold me on it. I suppose it's a very unique digital sound, but for my music, that's kind of what I was after.
rezzn8r
Quote:
good idea... haven't looked at much of that stuff yet as I'm really not a DIY person. but a ring mod would definitely be one of the easier things to build. Where does one get faceplates for these things?

Metalbox makes stuff to fit frac ears. When I emailed Mike late last year, this was the list of available 'ear' modules he sent me;
six way mult
Analog Shift Register
Psycho LFO
jack adapters (1/4"<->1/8"<->banana etc)
toggle switches (select from two inputs)
passive attenuators
acitve mixer
I/O trunk lines
stereo to mono adapters
dual passive ring mods
8008 bass drum

You might also want to think about a Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer. Very affordable!
Sir Ruff
rezzn8r wrote:
Quote:

Metalbox makes stuff to fit frac ears. When I emailed Mike late last year, this was the list of available 'ear' modules he sent me;

You might also want to think about a Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer. Very affordable!

wow... I knew ring mods were simple, but the KS is uber-simple; even I could understand the wiring layout! I also get the impression that it will have more of an old skool sound (a la m. subotnick) which is definitely a plus!

thanks for the m-box tip too...
Mood Organ
I can't speak on the Klangwerk, but...

Noise Ring SlayerBadger!
Wave Multiplier SlayerBadger!
passive ring mod SlayerBadger!
Metalbox rack ear modules SlayerBadger!
Sir Ruff
Mood Organ wrote:
I can't speak on the Klangwerk, but...

passive ring mod SlayerBadger!

on that note, can anyone describe the differences in the sound of the passive "real ring mod" compared to an active ring-mod? Michael at metalbox (who I contacted about the faceplates) was saying that are pretty-mid rangey, with little high or low end. Also noisier I assume.

All this is fine if it sounds like something from a 1960s electronic music record. If it just sounds "ok", then maybe I'd be better off with something like the KW. after board and faceplate, the prices end up being somewhat similar.

Thoughts?
Babaluma
the passive ring mods sound great. very retro grimey distorted mid rangey yes, but all in a good way! i have a pair (with different diodes in each one) in a frac ear, from metalbox.

i also second the noise ring.
Kent
Malekko wrote:
(hi Kent)

What's up, sexy-pants? You've never had an issue with my size before. You know full well that I'm a 'show-er'.

Thanks for the NAMMeries. And 'no'... those stains didn't just 'wash right out'.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1