MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCB offer] SDSV hihat/cymbal [check PM]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [PCB offer] SDSV hihat/cymbal [check PM]
syntherjack
Thanks to wutierson I managed to finish digital "metallic" (sample based) generator used in SDSV hihat / cymbal drum modules.

In short: in original circuit, 555 generated a clock for series of counters, which outputs addressed EPROM memory. The memory output was send to DAC converter. In my circuit I used ATMEGA8 microcontroller replacing 555, counters and EPROM. 8 bit output is send to simple resistor/buffer R-2R DAC. The sampling frequency by default is 25 kHz and can be changed via CV input (so it can be modulated via existing SDSV LFO, ENV, rimshot, etc. or external CV).

The digital expander is a perfect match for my drum synth project. It replaces triangle wave oscillator (just add a switch to choose between triangle / digital source). The hardest part was to hide breadboard from my cat. Anytime he see it, he pull out wires confused

Some shots from development:

Demo:
Low frequency "clicks" occurs due to lack of output hipass filter (there is a place for additional cap on PCB). At some point I have overdriven sound card input, it is not a module fault. Most sounds presented in video don't use sample rate CV input.

Now I'm working on some nice, small PCB.
Cheers
Jack

edit [9.12.2014]:

The PCB is ready and went into production. Size 80x42 mm, one sided.

Schematics:
Added simple tunable hipass filter. Circuit runs from +/- 12 V (+/- 15 V is also no problem). You can turn off ADC if you don't want to use modulation, there is also a jumper to set modulation range. Microcontroller runs @ 16MHz, the modulation input is sampled @ ~500 Hz, 8 bit. Everything runs on interrupts to get nice and smooth playback. Modulation input is protected via opamp / schottky clamp. There is place for voltage divider, it you would like to modulate it from 0-10 V source. There are 2 blinking LEDs: one shows playback speed, second if default speed is set.

The PCB will be available on january 2015.

Secret list (PCB + programmed IC):

maco 1
yan6 1
baloo 1
obercorn 1
logicgate 1
The Big Ear 1
Arnoid 1
Acilator 1
spneca 2
InfraXpert 2
jazzmonster 1 or 2
rosch 1
Maco 1
DJBRUTAL 1 + 1 SDSV
TimoRozendal 1 + 1 SDSV

Cheers!
Jack
Maco
applause

also need one
yan6
I'd be down for one of these
Dogma
For sure. So your doing a simmons huh?
baloo
Guinness ftw!
count on me for one .
sicpaul
Interessting project. thumbs up

Will the "metallic" be working at it's own or do we need to get the Briareos too?
oberkorn
interested!
just got the SDSV drum voice PCB, gathering pats for it now
puzo
was just thinking about the missing cymal from my drum panel, nice
The Big Ear
What controls (jack / pots) are needed.
I just have my panel made.... very frustrating
syntherjack
Hello,
except programmed IC, there are no obsolete / strange parts.
Don't worry Big Ear! If you can live without additional triangle generator filter, the digital board fits perfect without any panel change. You jest have to connect +/- supply to it, RI2 solder point and replace VCO (or VCU) with digital board output. Basically, the digital PCB reuses triangle generator controls.
Cheers
Jack
logicgate
Count me in twisted
The Big Ear
syntherjack wrote:
Hello,
Don't worry Big Ear! If you can live without additional triangle generator filter, the digital board fits perfect without any panel change. You jest have to connect +/- supply to it, RI2 solder point and replace VCO (or VCU) with digital board output. Basically, the digital PCB reuses triangle generator controls.
Cheers
Jack

OK, Good news. I'll want one. WIll you be selling programmed chips?

ToAd
Arnoid
Also interested in a pcb
acilator
Nice project!!
I'm in for a PCB.
syntherjack
Hello,
I've added some info at first post. In short: prototype works, PCB is in production, added schematics and some info.
Cheers
Jack
Isaiah
syntherjack
Sorry for going off topic:
Any news on your Boss HC-2 clone?
wutierson
Glad to see your work again Syntherjack! wink I was disconnected since long but it's a happy update!
spneca
I'm in for 2!
InfraXpert
Could be in for two as well hihi
Arnoid
syntherjack wrote:
Hello,
Cheers
Jack

Any news here ?

Isn't it possible to use a 3 way toggle switch (SP3T) ?
So you can choose between triangle (vcu), sine(vco) or the digital source ?
syntherjack
Hello,
the PCB is tested and ready for production, I just have to make some software tweaks to make it perfect.

You need a switch to choose between 3 sources, so:
SP3T (on-on-on) toggle can be used (with jumper wire),
SP3T rotary will work (you can get quite small rotary switches now, not only black-white Alpha "brick" ones),
SP3T (on-off-on) toggle won't work.

Hope it helps
Jack
jazzmonster
Count me in for a PCB or two (depending on the price). thanks
rosch
ah I haven't posted my interest here yet.
I'm interested in one board and, if you like, a programmed IC smile
Arnoid
Any update here ?
Maco
Im in for one applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2