MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[IN STOCK] Grayscale Algorhythm and Binary DIY kits
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

What do you want to build?
Algorhythm
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Binary
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Both!
76%
 76%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 59

Author [IN STOCK] Grayscale Algorhythm and Binary DIY kits
sempervirent

Update, 2015-05-03: Build guides are done! Please comment if you spot any errors or have questions.
http://grayscale.info/manuals/Grayscale_Algorhythm_DIY.pdf
http://grayscale.info/manuals/Grayscale_Binary_DIY.pdf

Update, 2015-04-11: Both kits are now in stock. Kits include everything needed to build each module, except for tools of course.

Algorhythm kit: http://grayscale.info/modules/algorhythm-diy-kit/
- Main board with all SMD components pre-assembled and tested, firmware loaded
- Panel PCB for jacks/switches
- Aluminum panel
- 16 jacks
- 12 switches
- 40-pin header for PCB connection
- Standoffs + screws
- Power cable (pre-assembled)
- Link cable (pre-assembled) for connecting multiple Algorhythm modules together

Binary kit: http://grayscale.info/modules/binary-diy-kit/
- PCB (gold/ENIG)
- Aluminum panel
- 7 jacks
- 7 switches
- 10-pin power header
- Power cable (pre-assembled)
- All components (mostly SMD)
thelizard
This is awesome! I would be interested in building both of them.
lintfresh
Very cool, Wes.
I'm down for both.

Honestly, I think people are unnecessarily scared of hand-soldering SMD.
It's really not that bad once you get the hang of it.
Suf-fuD
Hi I'd also be interested in building up both..
spotta
lintfresh wrote:
Very cool, Wes.
I'm down for both.

Honestly, I think people are unnecessarily scared of hand-soldering SMD.
It's really not that bad once you get the hang of it.

+1
waveglider
I agree. I can solder SMT faster than through hole with a normal soldering iron, some tweezers and a magnifying lamp.
sempervirent
Good to hear that hand-soldering SMD parts is not a big obstacle. That makes the Binary kit much easier.

If some people aren't familiar with these modules yet, there are many videos here, mostly focusing on the Algorhythm:
http://grayscale.info/videos/

I will get around to doing a Binary video some day, but I think the basic concept is easily understood: six logic inputs, each with a mute, and a common logic output that can be switched between OR/NOR. It was intended as an adjunct to the Algorhythm, but will work with any pulse source.
euromorcego
Quote:
Good to hear that hand-soldering SMD parts is not a big obstacle. That makes the Binary kit much easier.

any idea on price already? I wouldn't be too sure about the hand-soldering SMD. I woudn't mind a few (of the relatively large) components, like on Manhattan MVP for example, but on Binary there appear to be many SMD parts ... and tiny ones.
sempervirent
No firm pricing yet, but I mentioned a rough estimate in the first post.

Yes, the Binary layout is tight and the parts are small, that's one reason I posted an image of the back side. A through-hole version is not out of the question, but it would need more work to develop, whereas a surface-mount version needs no changes. The Binary circuit is fairly simple, so it might be a good intro to SMT DIY, without any expensive parts.
scottwilson
Brave souls soldering little smds! My fingers are just too fat. But that was the same excuse I gave my violin teacher, to which she said, "Have you ever seen Itzahk Perlman's hands?"

A kit of the algorythm tho sounds cool.

s
euromorcego
Quote:
No firm pricing yet, but I mentioned a rough estimate in the first post.

ok, sorry, missed that.

as for the SMD soldering on Binary: could indeed be a first intro to SMT DIY for some people. However, Binary is also not that expensive ($125), so if the kit is like $99, not sure if really that many people would dare to try.

[Disclaimer: just my opinion, of course. And i certainly don't want to discourage anyone doing kits. Always good to have them!].
livefreela
wes, what package of mcu are we dealing with on the algorithm? the majority of the smt work isnt a problem for me personallyl, but following my diy braids debacle, the notion of tackling another 32pin .5 job is giving me the shakes. that said, this module is worth the aggravation so im in for a set should you decide to go through with the kits.

congrats on the new endeavors too man - and thanks for keeping our racks spiffy all this while. please do come out of panel retirement now and again for us though man - even if its just for the special stuff; like oh, say a certain 4 board oscillator thats recently in many of our mailboxes following years of legal quagmire. if constructing a huge signal lamp on the roof of my house to blast a silhouette of the alien mech on the la skies will get this done please let me know - ill finally have a use for that huge fucking frankenstein switch i picked up on ebay...

"Gordon! hit the signal!"
diablojoy
any chance of PCB/ MCU only option ?
SMT is no issue for me and I tend to do my own panels
sempervirent
euromorcego - fair points, I appreciate the debate because I'm curious to know what people are interested in. I'd prefer to do either SMD or through-hole instead of both, but we shall see.

livefreela, the MCU on the Algorhythm is a Microchip PIC18F66K22. However the kit will be provided as semi-DIY with all SMD components pre-assembled (see first post). The DIY options will be offered simultaneously with a new run of assembled modules, and I need to hit certain quantities with my assembler or the SMT builds will be much more expensive.

Also the alt panel idea is not being put in cold storage forever, I just need to clear out the remaining panels and free up resources for other projects (not all of which are related to modular synths). I will also continue to work on new DIY panels, no problem there. Which 4-board oscillator are you referring to, the Living VCO?

diablojoy that's a tough call, as I mentioned the DIY Algo and the assembled Algo would be part of the same run. Also, putting together all the documentation for building the Algo from scratch would be very time-consuming. I think I'll have to stick with pre-assembled SMT boards to make the DIY option viable.
woodster
I'm very keen to build at least one each of both units.
Partially SMT'd is fine with me.
thumbs up
sempervirent
Thanks woodster, good to get another vote for SMT.

I checked with my assembler and he said it might be possible to change the Binary PCB layout slightly so that it uses 0805 size components instead of the smaller 0603, which would facilitate easier DIY. That might be a better option than providing a through-hole version and SMD version. It'll take a bit more time to sort out those details, but based on the initial interest I think the kits are a definite possibility, one way or another.
Junk Rhythm
SMD is fine by me in any form (partial or full DIY style). I'll take SMD over TH each and every time.
livefreela
thx for the update wes - sounds great on the algorithm plan; please count me in for a set if you are taking a tally. and yes, the lvco was indeed the project referenced in my needlessly cryptic post... hihi
sempervirent
livefreela wrote:
thx for the update wes - sounds great on the algorithm plan; please count me in for a set if you are taking a tally. and yes, the lvco was indeed the project referenced in my needlessly cryptic post... hihi

Thanks, glad you are up for an Algo kit!

I noticed a Euro panel design for the Living VCO here, looks like someone's on it, even getting Metalphoto panels quoted:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93892&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=670
sempervirent
Bump, will make a final determination of quantities by the end of this week and get things going.
Sparky
Very interesting. PCB+Panel with SMD is fine if you ask me thumbs up
cane creek
0805 sounds good to me thumbs up
sempervirent
Thanks guys. How do people feel about sourcing the SMD parts for the Binary kit?

We can supply the parts, but the sourcing/kitting process will increase the cost of the kit somewhat. And one person's enjoyment of sourcing is another's headache.

I should get the BOM into presentable format, maybe that will be a determinant.
nd595
May I also join for both? Interesting project, and a reflow kit makes it super easy.
fuzzbass
Sign me up for one each, please.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4