MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM-480 CS-mode filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MOTM-480 CS-mode filter
drewtoothpaste
I know this has been around for a few years, but it sounds amazing. Hooked up my Rhodes to it along with a little bit of envelope-follower and LFO modulating the HF/LF.



It resonates in a really gentle way that sounds nothing like the typical moog 24dB or SVF designs. You crank up the resonance and it just glistens rather than squealing. Haven't messed with the BP mode much yet, but the lowpass mode is liquid-y in a way none of my other filters can touch.

Just an FYI for people looking for new filters, cause Modcan's backordered for a while and synth.com only has two filter modules.

Guinness ftw!
bf
Have a compliment of them in my Omega and enjoy them. I will add them to the modular at some point I'm sure.
paults
There is a specific feedback network in these that does this. Yamaha did not want 8 squealing VCFs in music stores. The upside is that it became the distinctive "CS-80 brass sound" ala Chariots of Fire, etc. The MOTM-480 has this network It's peanut butter jelly time!
SynthBaron
I only got to play with it for about 10 minutes a few weeks ago when I had everything hooked up, but it's my favorite filter that i have here at the moment. Using aftertouch to control the frequency, as in the CS-series, sounds awesome.
zerosum
This thing sounds beautiful, I want one someday.

Quote:
It resonates in a really gentle way that sounds nothing like the typical moog 24dB or SVF designs. You crank up the resonance and it just glistens rather than squealing.


Yeah a friend of mine has one, and we sent a fast LFO to a few other filters that were warping the sound in a FM/ringmod type sound,
when we patched the same modulator into the CS80 it was funny how it refused to get dirty(thats a good thing), it remained smooth and glistening.
It ignored the fast modulation going into audio rates, just continued to make shiny smooth droney pad sounds.

Quote:
There is a specific feedback network in these that does this. Yamaha did not want 8 squealing VCFs in music stores.


Ahhh, that explains it.

Heheheh When I think of this filter sound I get all fuzzy and dreamy feeling.
essex sound lab
zerosum wrote:


Yeah a friend of mine has one, and we sent a fast LFO to a few other filters that were warping the sound in a FM/ringmod type sound,
when we patched the same modulator into the CS80 it was funny how it refused to get dirty(thats a good thing), it remained smooth and glistening.

It ignored the fast modulation going into audio rates, just continued to make shiny smooth droney pad sounds.

Heheheh When I think of this filter sound I get all fuzzy and dreamy feeling.


That's it...you guys have unwittingly caused me to want to fully populate my Omega 8 with them (it came with but one).
pugix
My take on the 480

http://pugix.com/synth/motm-480-3u-dual-filters/

I probably use this filter more than any other. It will not self-resonate, so you can crank up the resonance. Whacking the VC resonance with an envelope is highly recommended!
paults
A word of warning: the *current* Omega 8 upgrade is NOT the MOTM-480. It is their own design. True, they did a few years ago use my pc boards, but due to space/cost designed their own boards which is NOT my board (or the same circuit, either).

Can't comment on the 2 as far as "but how do they sound?". Just know, one is not the other Dead Banana
patchdub
awesome richard!

i've seen the 3u 480 panel on the bridechambers coming soon section and have been wondering what that was all about.

thanks for the detail on the build!
drewtoothpaste
Richard, that dual filter (in fact your whole setup) is insane. Nice work.

Gonna try sending an EG to the resonance input next time I'm in front of it.
sduck
I'm also a hue fan of the 480. It and the 440 are next to each other, and get the most use of all my filters.
essex sound lab
paults wrote:
A word of warning: the *current* Omega 8 upgrade is NOT the MOTM-480. It is their own design. True, they did a few years ago use my pc boards, but due to space/cost designed their own boards which is NOT my board (or the same circuit, either).


Good to know. And if I completed the set, they therefore likely wouldn't match...
bf
essex sound lab wrote:
paults wrote:
A word of warning: the *current* Omega 8 upgrade is NOT the MOTM-480. It is their own design. True, they did a few years ago use my pc boards, but due to space/cost designed their own boards which is NOT my board (or the same circuit, either).


Good to know. And if I completed the set, they therefore likely wouldn't match...
I don't know the cutoff date, but this change did occur a number of years ago. If you give Marc a call he will be able to determine if you have the MOTM version or not. If you do have the MOTM version and want to add more of the same I bet they would be willing to do 7 of the MOTM boards if you requested it for a price. I have found them to be pretty open to customer requests not necessarily listed on their website.
THM
I had a MOTM-480 too and it was also one of my favourite filters next to the (very different) Synthacon filter. The only reason I sold the MOTM-480 is having the great luck to be the owner of a real CS-80 now... It's peanut butter jelly time!
BTByrd
I just placed an order for this along with the 440. I have been dreaming for months about running digital oscs through the 480. Can't wait for that dream to come true!
syzygywell
Definitely one of the soon to be filters in my soon to be modular... t-minus 16 days and counting...

I think this one shall be my birthday present to myself in april.. unless someone parts with one before that.
paults
If you want it *in* April, now is a good time to order woah
rafe127
Here is another MOTM module I would DEFINITELY buy if it were in euro format!!
Girts
rafe127 wrote:
Here is another MOTM module I would DEFINITELY buy if it were in euro format!!


I would definitely buy MOTM CloudGenerator in 5U format... hihi

If I was allowed to keep only one MOTM filter, I would choose 480.
paults
a) The '480 in Euro would be a tough fit for 1 pc board. And several key parts are in thru-hole. It would be expensive, like $349 retail. Would people buy a $349 filter?

b) the MOTM-520 is the 5U Cloud Generator. It is coming out in September. It has 2x the oscillators, 2X the wavetables and is more awesome.
scozbor
rafe127 wrote:
Here is another MOTM module I would DEFINITELY buy if it were in euro format!!


buy the board and kit and build it in euro then! (with 15v obviously!) 8_)
synthetic
paults wrote:
Would people buy a $349 filter?


Question is would EURO people buy a $349 filter, MOTM guys do it all the time. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
doctorvague
synthetic wrote:
paults wrote:
Would people buy a $349 filter?


Question is would EURO people buy a $349 filter, MOTM guys do it all the time. MY ASS IS BLEEDING


fireclown
I would.
paults
I will see what it would take to squeeze it into Euro. Maybe bring out more of the internal filter outputs (there are 6 of them total, I use 2). Do the 'Richard Brewster" treatment SlayerBadger!
sduck
angry jeez, there you go again - short changing your own loyal motm format customers. very frustrating At least get out your promised motm format stuff before adding more euro stuff!
paults
I need a staff of 3 full-time people......that work for $8/hr sad banana
fireclown
heres one, but you supply the booze.
russma
...and here's two, but I'll need donuts....
sunsinger
The MOTM 480 is an OMFG filter. It is my go to filter in all of my setups now.
I can get some beautiful silky tones from it that nothing else will match.

I get the most gorgeous oboe tones, lush strings, jazzy blues horns, there's just no stopping this thing.
The only thing wrong with this filter is that I don't have another one or two in my synth. thumbs up
essex sound lab
sunsinger wrote:
The MOTM 480 is an OMFG filter. It is my go to filter in all of my setups now.
I can get some beautiful silky tones from it that nothing else will match.

I get the most gorgeous oboe tones, lush strings, jazzy blues horns, there's just no stopping this thing.
The only thing wrong with this filter is that I don't have another one or two in my synth. thumbs up


OK I think I know where another 2U of MOTM space is going to go, when I'm set up for it.
John Nonjohn
And, here's three! I'll supply the coffee, but not all the shipping and handling charges!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group