MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a shot at noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author a shot at noise
felix
My buddy Brandon (known around the synth community as "bdu") was super generous and offered to load me a spare 6U Doepfer rack. I immediately got it home, picked a few modules (Livewire Dalek, Vulcan, and Bissel, Plan B M13 and M10, Doepfer A-155, A-138c, A-132, A-188-2, and Harvestman Polivoks) and started in on the patch.

This was my first time with the A-188-2 and it seemed so well suited to noisy stuff, I gave it a go.

Unfortunately, I seem to be having some issues with my audio interface and can only get a few minutes of recording before it dies. very frustrating This is the longest clip that I was able to get.

http://share.ovi.com/media/felixinferious.public/felixinferious.10016

The sound source is the Dalek Ring Mod out, with one row of the sequencer controlling the pitch of one oscillator. That is being filtered by the Polivoks and run into the A-188-2. The Polivoks has a bit of self modulation (BP output patched to CV1) being attenuated by one half of the Vulcan and the A-132 VCA. The other half of the Vulcan is clocking the A-155 sequencer.

The A-188-2 has two outputs, each output has it's own delay tap mixes as well as overall Wet/Dry balance. One output of the A-188-2 (the noiser part of the patch) is going to half of the Plan B M13, being opened by the M10, which is being triggered by one trigger row on the sequencer. The other half of the A-188-2 is going to the other half of the M13 which is being opened directly by one of the trigger rows of the sequencer. The M13 vactrols almost make EGs unnecessary for plucky sounds.

So the intro is that second half of the A-188-2...I'm turning the mix from 100% wet to about 15% wet. Then, I slowly turn the balance on the Plan B M13 so you hear more and more of the noisy signal.

After that, it's just messing with adding triggers on the sequencer rows.

Then it cuts out very frustrating

I left the patch together, just in case I figure this interface problem out tonight.
Kwote
i dig the rhythm. headbang
futuresoundsystems
Noiiice!
sandyb
cool. reminded me of spk.
consumed
nice! the march is a good name for that. made me feel like stomping.
D/A A/D
Sounds good man... But be careful what you call noise... Some dudes would call this power-noise which usually evokes the gag reflex. I myself would say that is somewhere between old school industrial ala SPK and Pansonic.

Russian Roulette

I dig it! But suffice to say, I don't think its noise. I myself tread the line with rhythmic noise, I get shit on a lot because of that - but I don't care.

cheers

Alex
Kwote
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! how's that for noise!

w00t!!
D/A A/D
To be fair... I come from a LONG history of fighting about "what is noise"... I need to remember that you kids, may not be aware of the ancient battle. Many a flame war was started on the embers of that question, many a soldier lost to its cause.

Tis a sticky question on a slippery slope, and for the love of god and the devil - I don't want to get into it here... angry

Again, I dig the fuck out of what Felix has done here... That is a fact.

Guinness ftw!
flts
D/A A/D wrote:
To be fair... I come from a LONG history of fighting about "what is noise"... I need to remember that you kids, may not be aware of the ancient battle. Many a flame war was started on the embers of that question, many a soldier lost to its cause.

Yeah, I'm kind of out of all the scenes, subgenres, definitions at least...

Some years ago I had quite a big bunch of friends and acquintances who were into noise (both making and listening) and everything they played to me seemed to be sort of the harsh noise / japanoise variety. As a result, that's pretty much what I associated with "noise" from that point onwards - kind of full-on freeform "turn everything to 11" fucked-upness, and not the industrial-flavored stuff, pansonic droney music or anything else.
Kwote
I think I'm turning Japanoise. I really think so.
Chuck E. Jesus
the thing i like about bands like Faust and Throbbing Gristle iis you are going to get some "noise" , but other stuff as well...no built in limits!
D/A A/D
Lets take all "what is noise" discussion to this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12194#12194

Where not to derail mr. felix's fine post...

Alex
felix
D/A A/D wrote:
Where not to derail mr. felix's fine post...

No worries, it's all education to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1