MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power Supply?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Power Supply?
Analog>Plugins
I was in Maplins (uk) yesterday and saw that they had a 2,600ma variable power supply that went up to 15v.

Would this be ok to run straight to the modules?

If so where would I get the neutral feed from being that there is only a positive and negative on this power supply.

Being very noobish I know d'oh!
krisp14u
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I was in Maplins (uk) yesterday and saw that they had a 2,600ma variable power supply that went up to 15v.

Would this be ok to run straight to the modules?

No
You need a dual rail power supply

The best way to do this is with an Oakley compact PSU

Oakley Compact PSU needs an AC output power supply to work

maplins sell 2 that have been tested and work well with the Oakley CPSU

the N57AT @ 500mA
and
the N58AT @ 1000 mA

also there is the Yamaha PA-20 which we are selling with the CPSU PCB

I am now using 2 Oakley CPSU with the PA-20 and it is a very nice combination It's peanut butter jelly time!
Analog>Plugins
Just posting to say to all that I received my power supply from Krisp14u and it works great smile

Recommend to anyone not so great with their soldering skills.
groma
You will always find somebody n00bier than you ...
Our local audio gear repair shop has some PA-10 and PA-30 adapters in stock, they say they should work as well as the PA-20 ... does anyone know? d'oh! d'oh!
Synthbuilder
groma wrote:
You will always find somebody n00bier than you ...
Our local audio gear repair shop has some PA-10 and PA-30 adapters in stock, they say they should work as well as the PA-20 ... does anyone know? d'oh! d'oh!

The PA-10, 20 and 30 were designed to go with various Yamaha products. I am guessing here but I think they all would work with the Oakley power supplies since they are all tapped 35V supplies.

But they are not the same. Each one is different in both physical size and maximum current output.

PA-10 0.62A
PA-20 0.94A
PA-30 1.4A

All of them could probably be used with the Low Noise PSU so long as you didn't take more than 80% of their rated current. eg. for the PA-10, set the current limit to be 0.5A or so.

Maybe all three could also be used with the Compact PSU too. Again with the proviso you do not exceed the power packs' current limits. However, you will have to watch out for over heating the Compact PSU's heatsinks on that supply if you use the PA-30. Even with the PA-20, taking 0.94A is really pushing it to be honest.

Input fuses on the board would have to be altered accordingly as in the Builder's Guides too.

Tony
groma
Thanks, this was actually the discussion, the difference is in the maximum current. But also according to the repair shop guy they provide 18V, not 17.5...
Anyway, we are building the low noise power supply, so I guess using the PA-30 should be no problem, and I understand there is no need to change the fuses in this case.
Synthbuilder
groma wrote:
But also according to the repair shop guy they provide 18V, not 17.5...

Yamaha have them down as 35V centre tapped on their website but really the actual secondary output voltage will depend on a bunch of things including load and input voltage. I can't remember what I actually measured it on a real PA-20 but it was more than 18V with a 240V input.

groma wrote:
Anyway, we are building the low noise power supply, so I guess using the PA-30 should be no problem, and I understand there is no need to change the fuses in this case.

Not if you don't change the current limit resistors. But you could possibly increase the current limit a tad to 1A with the PA30.
groma
Yes, that would justify the probably higher price of the PA30, but I don't know If we'll try because we are real electronics n00bs . We made a box where we can fit about 23 rack units, but filling it will take some time, so I guess we will see. Thanks again!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1