MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RYO Discrete Transistor Logics - Dual AND/NAND in 4hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author RYO Discrete Transistor Logics - Dual AND/NAND in 4hp
MindSnared
Hello!

Here's a little clip of a simple, cheap all-transistor based logics module we're working on, in this implementation it gives two channels of AND/NAND. One with 3 inputs, 1 NAND and 1 AND output. The other with 2 inputs and the same 2 outputs for a total of 9 jacks in 4hp.

It's normaled in a way so you can use the 3 input N(AND) with only 2 or 1 inputs making it a 2 input N(AND) or a NOT with only input 1. The same with the 2 input N(AND). The 2 gates are also normaled so both gates can act as a 4 input N(AND).

The dimensions, panel jack/led layout and overall build design is pretty much identical to that of the Trig Xpander for those of you familiar with that i.e. a panel pcb mounted horizontal/sandwiched to the front panel and a component pcb mounted with perpendicular connectors pointing into your case at around 48mm depth total.

We're aiming this to be a cheap and cheerful way of getting some logics into your system, also as a bonus the transistors makes a wonderfully dirty gritty distortion/waveshaper for audiorate usage. smile

It uses only one single transistor type (BC547) readily available from any small or large electronics store.

The picture below shows both panel board (left) and actual circuit board to the right. Like the Trig Xpander boards these will be produced with v-scoring so you'll break em apart yourself.

ben_hex
Lots cool, nice next to some clock and other logic modules.

It seems logic modules are flavour of the day with a few in development all coming out around the same time.
ac
This is something I've been looking for!
stabilt
If you have enough NANDs you can patch up any logic gate. SlayerBadger!

But we are working on all standard logic gates (N(OR), X(OR), NOT) as well as a new gate type (secret).

We hope we can make them all discrete taking advantage of the transistor thresholds instead of the immediate switch that CMOS does, it give's a different sound when using it for audio. But it's tricky to dial in resistor values so the signal propagates properly throughout the circuit. They are all working in SPICE/Circuit Wizard but the real world is not the same as a simulation.

We are using theese small cheap modules to raise fundings to make the more expensive runs of 16-step xpander for VCSeq, Woflter, DTSwitch etc which are basically just waiting for production run funding.
lintfresh
Hmm, I just happen to have a crapload of BC547s sitting here doing nothing...
MindSnared
Preliminary panel graphics (the silkscreen/text will look more high-res on the actual panels), also worth noting is all panel hole measurements are identical to that of the Trig Xpander.

Sittidae
MindSnared wrote:
cheap and cheerful

I think you're underselling yourself. Totally dig this!
ben_hex
MindSnared wrote:
also worth noting is all panel hole measurements are identical to that of the Trig Xpander.

So it'll look great (and work very nice) with the VC sequencer and trig xpanders Mr. Green
MindSnared
Sittidae wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
cheap and cheerful

Not too much I hope, it really is a useful bit of kit as well as a fun audio FSU unit, we don't want to break your banks too hard though smile

ben_hex wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
also worth noting is all panel hole measurements are identical to that of the Trig Xpander.

So it'll look great (and work very nice) with the VC sequencer and trig xpanders Mr. Green

Yes it will pair up great with the sequencers and gate outputs, hopefully we'll have the whole bundle of discrete logics out as stabilt said with not too outrageous wait, these will really spice things up in a clocking/sequencing setup as well as giving you new ways to mess up those sounds you percieve as too clean and polite razz
Sittidae
MindSnared wrote:
Sittidae wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
cheap and cheerful

Not too much I hope, it really is a useful bit of kit as well as a fun audio FSU unit, we don't want to break your banks too hard though smile

I just meant that you what you make is real high quality stuff. I love the prices too. DIY modules like yours are the only way I could ever afford to own eurorack. So thanks thumbs up
MindSnared
Sittidae wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
Sittidae wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
cheap and cheerful

I just meant that you what you make is real high quality stuff. I love the prices too. DIY modules like yours are the only way I could ever afford to own eurorack. So thanks thumbs up

Very happy to hear you appreciate our stuff, we do our best to make sure its solid when leaving into the wild. Thanks for supporting us yourself 8_)
ben_hex
MindSnared wrote:

Yes it will pair up great with the sequencers and gate outputs, hopefully we'll have the whole bundle of discrete logics out as stabilt said with not too outrageous wait, these will really spice things up in a clocking/sequencing setup as well as giving you new ways to mess up those sounds you percieve as too clean and polite razz

Nice! smile My RYO row is growing and it all integrates so well. The dual VC Sequence and dual TrigXpander is usually in most patches. Things I would like ...

Logic - which you have coming soon
Filter - again coming soon
Switch - again coming soon
OR combinor - I know the TrigXpander is backwards protecting for mixing with a mult. or stackables but I'm thinking for other sources
Dual VCA in 4HP - now that would be nice! Linear, could just be in, CV in, out x 2

I'm getting carried away anyway, thinking more of the look of a full row more than anything.
ben_hex
d'oh! double post!

if a mod sees this please delete
sonicwarrior
MindSnared wrote:
Here's a little clip of a simple, cheap all-transistor based logics module we're working on

Mounting holes would be nice so that it's usable in other formats (5U, 4U, etc.).
MindSnared
sonicwarrior wrote:
MindSnared wrote:
Here's a little clip of a simple, cheap all-transistor based logics module we're working on

Mounting holes would be nice so that it's usable in other formats (5U, 4U, etc.).

We managed to miss that on this run, just ordered the boards last night d'oh!

However there will probably be another run, or some sort of "generic" pcb that would be easier to adapt to more formats, that would also feature a molex power connector and be tested for 15V as well.
moofi
Looks good, looking forward lol
Not into DIY myself but gladly got someone doing the assemblance.
For starters got a working Optodist and a CV-Sequencer+Trigger Expander, so this would go along pretty well I assume.
MindSnared
Some pictures of the module! 8_)

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size
rosch
Any chance someone will make Aluminum panels for this? I would have bought the sequencer if there was a metal panel too.
MindSnared
We don't offer aluminum panels ourselves but Grayscale (sempervirent here on muffs forum) has made panels for a couple of our modules, I don't know if he plans on doing panels for these upcoming logic modules yet.

SynthCube has Grayscale panel for the VC Sequencer and the Optodist, Grayscale also has panels for Optodist and the Trig Xpander for sale at http://grayscale.info/panels/
ben_hex
Looking great, hope you guys are well.
rosch
MindSnared wrote:
We don't offer aluminum panels ourselves but Grayscale (sempervirent here on muffs forum) has made panels for a couple of our modules, I don't know if he plans on doing panels for these upcoming logic modules yet.

SynthCube has Grayscale panel for the VC Sequencer and the Optodist, Grayscale also has panels for Optodist and the Trig Xpander for sale at http://grayscale.info/panels/

Yes I've seen his trig expander panel on his site but not for the sequencer. Gonna look at Synthcube's for this. Cool that's a game changer.
Let's hope Grayscale will make one for this here too, would be great
MindSnared
ben_hex wrote:
Looking great, hope you guys are well.

Thanks man, hoping the same with you! Slowly getting better again here smile

rosch wrote:

Let's hope Grayscale will make one for this here too, would be great

Yes that'd be very cool, there's definitely some interest for silver/gray aluminum RYO and Grayscale makes a nice clean look for it!
HeWhoWantsJeans
MindSnared wrote:
Some pictures of the module! 8_)

That looks excellent. When you are all feeling better, I got some cash to throw at you smile
woodster
I'm looking forward to building one of these thumbs up
euromorcego
thumbs up

looks good!

I am also silently hoping you would consider making panels in any other color than black. The material is fine, no need for aluminium, but black color always sticks out in my rack.

Also, it seems that grayscale cancelled the Vermix and Ampmix panels because of lack of interest.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2