MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mixing Serge with Buchla Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Mixing Serge with Buchla Questions
Gringo Starr
I'm sure this has been discussed before. My search provided me with way too many choices that weren't even close.

I want to use some Serge functions with Buchla. I won't be using Serge for any audio sources though. No oscillators, filters, or anything else that might be at audio rate. And no Serge sequencers will directly be crossing over to Buchla either. All my sounds and control of the pitch of the sound will be within Buchla. And since I won't be using any sound sources from the Serge then do I not have to worry about the 1.2v/1v issue?

Also I'd like to know how to ground these two systems together. And whatever other tips you want to share.
momo
Hi. As far as I know, and I could be wrong but don't think I am, Serge is bipolar, +- 5V whereas the Buchla standard is unipolar 0-10V. Thus this presents you with an issue you can overcome, but one you'll need to factor in nevertheless. As far as audio is concerned, these days there seem to be a lot of Buchla format clones / recreations that are calibrated to 1V/ octave, or can be adjusted via trim pot by the user, so even though you say this aspect isn't a concern, this news is still possibly welcome to you. Good luck.
momo
Ps: grounding: there will likely be a possibly black banana socket on your Serge PSU. If so connect one end of a long banana cable there and (assuming you have a modern 200e B&A cab) take the other end to the black banana socket on the middle boat of your Buchla cab, adjacent to the on/off switch and connect - voila.
modintx
I built a cvgt mm module to hook my serge to Buchla - works like a charm. Tony has some other options on his site, might be worth dropping him a line.

http://synovatron.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
Kent
Personally, I would find it more helpful if you posted exactly which items, from the Serge side, you would like to use with a Buchla. The exclusions make the discussion vague.

The Buchla will ignore negative Control Voltages that are presented to its CV inputs. There is no worry there.
rattlework
Serge triggers are also not hot enough to drive all of the buchla modules except the 250e.
Gringo Starr
The modules from Serge I want to use are the VCA's, SSG, ASR, Boolean, and the Q-Filter in Lo-Mode. This is just what I've been thinking about.

Mainly the VCA's to be honest. I'm curious what it would sound like through some of the hot Serge VCA's. smile
Vsyevolod
You're not running audio rate through the VCA's? What are you running through them then?

Stephen

Gringo Starr
Vsyevolod wrote:
You're not running audio rate through the VCA's? What are you running through them then?

Stephen

I'd be running Buchla audio through the Serge VCA's.
B-ry
momo wrote:
Ps: grounding: there will likely be a possibly black banana socket on your Serge PSU. If so connect one end of a long banana cable there and (assuming you have a modern 200e B&A cab) take the other end to the black banana socket on the middle boat of your Buchla cab, adjacent to the on/off switch and connect - voila.

Thanks for this. Very good to know....
mestlick
I have some Buchla and Serge that I use together. I have tied the grounds together, and all audio outs go to the same mixer (also ties grounds through audio cables). I find that I can patch CVs back and forth just fine. Buchla triggers serge, but some Serge does not trigger Buchla.

I use a Buchla 257 to double the voltage of Serge triggers, by patching the Serge into Va and Vb and setting both attenuators to +1. This usually works, but sometimes requires some fiddling with the offset on the 257.

I use either the 257 or a Serge mixer/processor to attenuate Buchla pulses, then I can patch that into the input of a Serge slope generator. With a fast attack and slow decay this makes a nice retriggerable envelope.

I've noticed that the Serge can take 0-10V control signals. The Serge slope will follow up to 10V, but that will cause VCAs to overload if used as a CV.

I don't have any quantizers on either side. I use a tuner to set pitch and intonation. I can get all the oscillators to track together with out too much effort.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1