MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

are there any don'ts with ciat synths?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author are there any don'ts with ciat synths?
evs
as i´m short before taking the plunge into the ciat world via a plumbutter,
i had one concern left..

in eurorack land it is common that you are not allowed to plug in outs to outs. and to use stackables (similar to banana jacks) not that a signal from an out has a chance to get to another out, or even use various outs to one in.. it will not get damaged directly but maybe wear out over time, so get slowly damaged..
i´m fine with that with those modules.

but, to have the same rules with the plumbutter would seem a bit stressful with no labeled jacks..

the only experience i had with banana jacks was with my "little boy blue".
and the fun was there, to put anything in anything. regardless of ins and outs..
i hope a lot that ciat synths are made this way..

are they? help

are there any other "don´t do" with ciat synths?

(can i take them underwater? MY ASS IS BLEEDING )
andriesvds
Peter B wrote me this:

Hi, the cv out is no more than nine volts, and no less than zero. Try to
not connect anything "fishy" to the brown, because they are sensitive to
over current: always have a resistor to them.
evs
so the brown one are the only to look out for?

how do you have "always a resistor to them"?
windspirit
You can use an attenuator, or some gator clips like oldskool CL gear. I used to put a big electrolytic cap between the screw terminals to "low pass filter" the connection.
ClausF
what is "fishy" exactly?
Sorry, I'm German hmmm.....
solaris
ClausF wrote:
what is "fishy" exactly?
Sorry, I'm German :hmm:

something like "suspicious, questionnable, bad"
evs
so the question is, what signal is questionable from the plumbutter?

or does he just wanted to say that you should not send a "fishy" signal from the outer world to the brown plumbutter jack?
wednesdayayay
I think it is plugging unknown sources from outside the plumbutter that is considered "fishy"

I haven't ever had a problem plugging anything from the PB to a brown node
I almost wish there was a CL version of the plumbutter extender (CV functions and speed knob) as the rollz are becoming more interesting

if you want to go down the path of trying to "sync" the plumbutter to something else by patching CV clock to the brown rollz I think that is fishy

The plumbutter is very forgiving with its inputs and outputs even if you don't know what you are doing I don't think you will hurt it.
kozepz

evs
well, if i go from outside with a trigger of 5 or 9 volt into it, it should not be a problem, right?
andriesvds
kozepz wrote:

lolspew
windspirit
Honestly I doubt that even a 12v trigger would do any damage. Just make sure that you have the grounds of each device connected. I connected my volca bwats to the plumbutter and had them synced together by plugging the audio out into one of the filters and the sync into various browns.
opsysbug
Weirdly my Plumbutter seems to like NOT being grounded to the new MengQ
Rollz I got. Works better. And do you think Rollzy can go in the browns?
evs
windspirit wrote:
Honestly I doubt that even a 12v trigger would do any damage. Just make sure that you have the grounds of each device connected. I connected my volca bwats to the plumbutter and had them synced together by plugging the audio out into one of the filters and the sync into various browns.

sorry, thats a real noob question, but isn´t the plumbutter grounded via the electrical connector? or is it one without ground?

and how would you connect the grounds of two devices?
windspirit
Ok, so if the audio paths of each synth are connected then the grounds are connected, but since the plumbutter uses banana jacks for patching which is only a 1 wire connection then ground is not shared by default between machines like it is in 1/8" or 1/4" formats. With the plumbutter mk1s you had to ask for a ground jack (black next to the battery terminal) but with the mk2s I think they are standard. It should be the only black banana on your synth. You will need a format jumbler or an alligator clip and a jack to make the ground connection.
analog therapy
andriesvds wrote:
Peter B wrote me this:

Hi, the cv out is no more than nine volts, and no less than zero. Try to
not connect anything "fishy" to the brown, because they are sensitive to
over current: always have a resistor to them.

Hello from france ! first, i want to tell, it's your videos that convinced me to buy plumbutter 2, and i want to tell you too that your videos are wonderful, really ! thanks for sharing that. In yours post above you means that the cv out from plumbi are 9volts, right ? I ask you this because I want to control gong with the cv / gate track of my analog 4, but I do not want to cause problems, and I saw in your videos you use the plumbutter 2 with different modular synth, and even with your Octatrack by midi, and I would also control the plumbutter 2 by midi with the midi controller tracks of Machinedrum UW who is the same of the octatrack midi tracks (and also other elektron gear that have this option).How do you syncronise other modular synths with Plumbi please? if you do not bother you of course. I would also try arpeggiate gong in CV, have you ever try? it has to do really beautiful bongos i think, gong really created super beautiful bongos, I very fond them !!! wink sorry for all these questions, I know I bother you, but I'm so passionate about music in tension, and I start recently, I make electronic music for 15 years, but only with machines in midi, and is the first time I practiced CV / GATE, etc.

sorry again for the inconvenience, thank you again for your videos sharing, and continue to do what you are doing is very good.

best regards, damien SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1