MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thinking of dropping 5U...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Thinking of dropping 5U...
plord
So with the upcoming move and all, and looking at how my rig hangs together at the moment, I'm seriously considering bailing on 5U. This would include selling the existing set of modules, then selling some 5U faceplates for DIY and converting all that DIY to Wiard 300 format. and then, I guess, adding to the big cabinet horizontally, a 19" wide tower for Wiard/EuroWiard/Frac modules, probably dedicated to all Sequencer and clock mangling functions.

I know, "all these systems work together", I get it. I have Euro now, remember? In reality, the system stacks so high that the 5U stuff is always "over there" somewhere and I almost never connect the systems or bother converting between 3.5mm and 1/4". The 5U stuff all hangs off my modified sh-101 and while that is a great, great sound, it's nothing I can't get or surpass with the big blue modules.

I'd be selling:
* Nice-Racks 42" wide 5U pine cabinet (Vermont Maple stain) with built in rails, PS rails in back, and an MOTM-900.
* Oakley diode Superladder filter (yes, the one in the Thomas White video; yes, that exact one)
* Fritz AD/AR x 2
* Mankato
* Oakley EFG
* Oakley Overdrive
* MOTM 390 LFO
* MOTM 110 VCA/Ring Mod
* Mult
* ResLPG (prototype board behind a 1U Bridechamber panel, no deep switch, no 2nd Control input).

Plus the DIY panels (Bridechamber) for:
* 1U RLPG
* 2U RLPG x2 (?)
* JH Tau Phaser
* JH Solina Chorus
* JH Schulte phaser
* maybe something else I'm forgetting?

So...talk me out of it. or talk me into it. whichever.
neandrewthal
I couldn't stand a Frankensynth with different types of plugs either. You have my blessing as long as you replace that damn mankato Suit And Tie Guy!
dude
ditch the 5u, oh and pm'd for some of yer stash. and by rights, drew is correct, even though i want the mankato, it is unique, deeply unique at that, imo. the other stuff is so easily replaced and likely cheaper. now if you had a bunch of modcan or some crazier stuff i might think you should keep it.
Peake
Please to see Oakley transition to Moog panels and .com power formats?
consumed
i gave up consolidating my modules into one format because its a huge expense and use of time better spent making music.
once i expanded into multiple formats i realized that i was spending way too much time/cash trying to 'round out' each format as a complete modular unto itself
i made the hard decision to sell off about 2/3s of my 5u; however, that which remains i think is here to stay!
look at your entire system and think to yourself whether you 'really' need all of that functionality
then sell off the stuff thats excess and keep the unique bits. thats my advize.
bwhittington
Dump it all. Too vanilla.

Cheers,
Brian
Scaff
Do it thumbs up
giorgio
my 5U i something i plan on handing down to later generations. the other stuff (frac/euro) is more just for shits and giggles and making weird shit on drugs
money bags
Quote:
making weird shit on drugs

its not about the size its how you smoke it.
JohnLRice
DON'T DO IT, MAN!!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! MY ASS IS BLEEDING Doctorin' the Tardis
dude
yes, think of the children, but sell that shit mang!
money bags
unless that shit is "VINTAGE" and he can trade it in for a hover craft he will have more fun and more likely not to pawn the synth if he does not need a moving truck to move it around.
plord
The Children have expressed a clear, unabashed preference for the Wiard. Especially the 311 controller and its blinkenlights and frobbable sticks.
dude
solved then
haricots
I want the Oakley diode filter! nanners (oh and maybe a JH module or two).
plord
Whoah, whoah, JH stuff will be panels only, I haven't built them but I'm keeping the guts and the PCBs!
haricots
Shit, I thought it was a free for all.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1