MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY DIN Sync
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY DIN Sync
miminashi
I'm wondering what experience any of y'all have rolling your own when in comes to DIN sync. The idea of the Innerclock Sync-Lock has me all hot and bothered, but unfortunately it's not an expense that I can justify at the moment.

In the meantime, I've put together a TRS->DIN cable and have been experimenting with sending various sync signals directly out of Cubase via the headphone output of my Multiface (DC-coupling for the win!). So far it seems to work pretty well (swing, baby!), although I'm having a bear of a time figuring out how to get previously recorded sequences to play back in perfect sync with live sequences being driven by the sync signal (Jesus, I need sleep!). I imagine I'll have to delay all non-live tracks by the sum of the input and output latencies, but I guess I'll have to figure that out later.

The timing of my 606 and 303 certainly seems tighter when using my direct sync method as opposed to using the DIN Sync outputs on my MSY2 or Kenton Pro-2000, but I must concede that in no case is the timing absolutely rock solid. I don't know how stable the 606 is as a timing reference, so I'll leave the question of whether or not it's better to use direct sync signals or a MIDI->DIN converter open until some of you brainiacs chime in.

Please, share your thoughts and experiences so that we all might learn and grow.
suitandtieguy
have you seen this?

http://users.telenet.be/darffader/rv0/
miminashi
Ah, that looks very promising indeed. Hopefully the win32 version isn't too far away. Thanks for the heads-up!
drane2
bumping this one just since it has the right subject line.

i'd like to buy some connectors and cable to diy my own din sync (and midi) cables. browsing mouser, 17DN101-EX seems like the obvious choice for connector. does anyone have any advice on what would be a good, economical choice for bulk 5 (or more, i guess) conductor cable? the choices are a bit overwhelming so thought i'd ask here first. I'm tempted to try plain ol CAT5 and just leave three of the wires unconnected.
Morphology
CAT 5 can be both stranded and solid core. Solid core wouldn't be suitable, as it'd fail if it is flexed too much/too often. CAT5 is also unshielded, whereas a MIDI/DIN Sync cable should be shielded.

MIDI only uses 3 wires, so 2 of the 5 pins aren't connected anyway, and it only really needs 2 of those

So, for MIDI, more or less any shielded multi-strand flexible cable will do. Stereo Mic cable for example.

DIN Sync uses the other 2 pins so, to suit both purposes you would need a screened cable with at least 4 cores of multi-stranded conductors (the screen is connected to the middle one of the 5).

However, I'm sure stranded CAT 5 cable would work just fine if you've got some lying around.
hw408
this.probably a dumb question but I want to start/stop two din sync boxes from one din sync outout. I see modules with din sync clock out but only one jack.

Would a Y cable work or am i forced to have a powered splitter box? I have a splitter but its midi to two din, would be nice to skip the midi layer altogether.

Posting here because it is a din sync diy possible idea.

The wire details above are appreciated either way thank you!
roglok
hw408 wrote:
this.probably a dumb question but I want to start/stop two din sync boxes from one din sync outout. I see modules with din sync clock out but only one jack.

Would a Y cable work or am i forced to have a powered splitter box? I have a splitter but its midi to two din, would be nice to skip the midi layer altogether.

Posting here because it is a din sync diy possible idea.

The wire details above are appreciated either way thank you!

You can just tie the signals together in a passive configuration. There's no need for power. I'm using a passive splitter box with 5 outputs (Cirklon > 303, 606, 202, Modular) and it works fine.
hw408
Good to know it can be split. ^ Thanks!

On another note.. I came across a few 5 pin din connectors and a six foot thing of shielded wires, it says they are 24 gauge.

Searching here I saw somebody say cat5 or 22 gauge but I was in a hurry and grabbed this one. Does anybody think 24 WG would be worth trying (this is to din sync some x0x stuff)?

ty much for any advice
Seaweed Sound
Take a look at Mogami "MIDI Synchro" cable (W2948). At Redco.com it's 67 cents per foot. Even in a fairly sophisticated dinsync setup with multiple devices how many feet are you really going to need? Could you save a few bucks using cat5 cable.. probably but you might as well get something good that you won't need to replace in the future.

Hit me up if you need a dinsync splitter box or some 5 pin cables.
hw408
Seaweed Sound wrote:
Take a look at Mogami "MIDI Synchro" cable (W2948).

Hit me up if you need a dinsync splitter box or some 5 pin cables.

Thanks Seaweed for the tip on the wire!
Do you have a shop for cables?

i searched for mogami, this says W2948 is 25 AWG
https://www.pacrad.com/mogami-2948-midi-synchro-cable-black.html

I will buy a proper cable but since they had the connectors and a 6’ 24 AWG cable with several strands (this isnt cat5, just some general purpose i think), I was hoping i could hack one out this weekend instead of shelf the idea and wait for more mailordering. But then I wasnt sure about the gauge.
If 25 WG is good, then 24 should be safe (barely thicker) i would think, but I dont really know. 6 feet is perfect.

Sync boxes i use:
- no name sync box, midi in to 6midi+2din out
- doepfer msy2, midi in to 2xdin outs
I use the 2 dins off the doepfer, fed via midi from the first box. Master clock via midi feeds the first box.

I want to utilize a 3rd din device now. Im actually not sure what kind of splitter box would simplify this mess any (unless theres a 3 din+multiple midi out box somewhere).

I was thinking I needed a splitter in an earlier post, but remembered there are 2 dins unused on the bigger sync box, im just missing a cable to try it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1