MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lopass gate
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Lopass gate
haricots
I built one of these a while ago and love it but I'm not sure I understand the concept of the 'ring'. Are you referring to the loosness of the decay? Is it more common to inject a straight gate into it or an enveloped signal like you would with a filter or VCA?

BTW, it's a really easy build even for a hack like me. I have two more pcbs sitting around in hopes of building a dual at some point.
megaohm
haricots wrote:
Is it more common to inject a straight gate into it or an enveloped signal like you would with a filter or VCA?

By all means, slap it around with triggers!
It's one of the coolest things about using vactrols.

p.
sandyb
haricots wrote:
I built one of these a while ago and love it but I'm not sure I understand the concept of the 'ring'. Are you referring to the loosness of the decay? Is it more common to inject a straight gate into it or an enveloped signal like you would with a filter or VCA?

BTW, it's a really easy build even for a hack like me. I have two more pcbs sitting around in hopes of building a dual at some point.

i usually use a short(ish) length AD envelope. i like being able to vary the attack and decay separately to get the sound i'm after. triggers work well but don't give you this option.
pugix
I have two of these.

http://pugix.com/synth/resonant-lopass-gate/

Has anyone else used the VTL5C4 vactrol for it? It's slower response makes it less 'slappable'. I might switch.
sduck
I've built 4 of these - and used the vtl5c4 in one of them. I prefer the ones with the 3 most of the time, but sometimes the 4 is fun and cool sounding.
doctorvague
haricots wrote:

Yeah there is a natural decay they have- even if hit with a short square trigger it sounds like it adds a decay stage. That's part of that 'bongo sound'. Different vactrols have different ring (and attack too for that matter) - there's also a short non-instantaneous attack rise that contributes to the sound and there's the overall response curve too.
It's common, especially in Buchla land, to hit these with triggers and let the vactrols make the 'envelope' but you can also use an AD or ADSR of course. The LPG can be the filter, VCA and sort of an envelope all in one. applause

My favorite sounding vactrol is the Silonex NSL32-SR3. It's pretty fast as far as vactrols go. As a slower alternative to the VTL5C3 I always thought one of the common choices was the VTL5C2, not necessarily the VTL5C4. I've messed extensively with the others but have never used the VTL5C4 myself.

When I first read about the dual vs single vactrols I thought you were replacing the dual with 2 singles, not one single, that's why I thought the LED circuit might need tweaking (doubling the number of LED's). But according to the diagram, if you're swapping one single for one dual then it makes no difference. What's changing is only the photocell/resistance side of the circuit. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
snoop
The deal was to replace one dual with 2 single vactrols, yes. My LPG should arrive anyday now. Will post some demos. I only make percussion and loops with my modular, so it will be... percussion sounds :-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2