MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next [all]
Author Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
LED-man
aabbcc wrote:
Is anyone else providing the rare parts kit now since www.diysynth.de closed down seriously, i just don't get it

Julien have my rare parts kits, please ask him
Kevin Mitchell
Wanted to post an update on my project since I've got it all sorted out (kind of)

First off, I didn't quite understand how modualtion worked with VCO3 and neglect to set it to LO for the most usable modulation wave.

Besides that issue, I was having trouble elsewhere and not realizing it. With decay on - when I release a key (usually the higher notes) it would drop about a semitone unless glide was turned up. I had a couple of BF245A jfets for the glide circuit instead of BF245B so I went ahead and replaced them with BF245B just to find that I had bought fake ones on ebay
d'oh!

I had replaced those with a couple 2n5457 jfets and for the most part it had improved though the highest octave of my 5 octave keyboard seems to still do it.

I guess I'll see what other jfets I can throw in there. I've measured my 1 volt per octave controller and that seems okay. I'll go back and check the glide circuit again when I find the time.
aabbcc
LED-man wrote:
aabbcc wrote:
Is anyone else providing the rare parts kit now since www.diysynth.de closed down seriously, i just don't get it

Julien have my rare parts kits, please ask him

Thanks! Noticed on his website its included when you buy the euro kit smile

A more burning issue though, does anyone know any cheaper replacement for the 642-5636A and 642-5646A, togheter those add up to 75 EUR inc vat at mouser, madness...
Kevin Mitchell
aabbcc wrote:

A more burning issue though, does anyone know any cheaper replacement for the 642-5636A and 642-5646A, togheter those add up to 75 EUR inc vat at mouser, madness...

I had used the standard PCB mount toggle switches. I'm not familiar with foreign vendors but BLMS has great prices for switches here in the US.

Kevin Mitchell wrote:
My kit came in the mail today. Couldn't help myself cool

The BLMS toggles fit perfect. $0.74USD each
DPDT
SPDT.
TheSlowGrowth
aabbcc wrote:

I still have three LS3954 from my buy at micross. PM me if interested (shipping from Europe)
aabbcc
TheSlowGrowth wrote:
aabbcc wrote:

I still have three LS3954 from my buy at micross. PM me if interested (shipping from Europe)

PM'd
Mogli
Hi there,

i finished the Minimoog Clone a few days ago but the synth doesn't do a single sound. I thought the soldering was quite ok. maybe i missed sth essential as it was my first diy build.
i checked the voltage on the testpoints as described on the guin guin page, and everything is right (didnt tune so far though). I connected a CV but nothing happens..
All ICs, except for IC24 are soldered pretty well. Also the Transistors are based.
Does sb have an idea?

Kind Regards,
Hans
warpmachine
hi all,
i finished my build yesterday and everything seems to work quite well but there is nothing coming from VCO 1 and 3. Only VCO 2 is working.
I checked JP11 JP12 and JP13 but only JP12 gives me waveforms.
I checked all the voltage check points and everything is in order.

the weird thing is that I can hear it popping when I change the waveforms of VCO 1 and 3 but no actual sound. And when I use OSC3 in LFO Mode to modulate the filter it seems to affect it for one second or so and then it stops.

what can I do?
warpmachine
figured it out. it was a bad soldering joint i think.
everything is working now.
thanks for this great machine Julian!
Kevin Mitchell
Mogli wrote:
Hi there,

i finished the Minimoog Clone a few days ago but the synth doesn't do a single sound. I thought the soldering was quite ok. maybe i missed sth essential as it was my first diy build.
i checked the voltage on the testpoints as described on the guin guin page, and everything is right (didnt tune so far though). I connected a CV but nothing happens..
All ICs, except for IC24 are soldered pretty well. Also the Transistors are based.
Does sb have an idea?

Kind Regards,
Hans

You need to raise the gate high to get anything out of it. You said CV is connected but what about gate? Just a thought. Took me a while to wrap my head around the unit but CV and gate are things you must know about for analog synths.

You might be insane if this is your first DIY project. The chances of making a mistake are extremely high. And finding those mistake are going to be a massive pain.
Mogli
Kevin Mitchell wrote:
Mogli wrote:
Hi there,

Does sb have an idea?

Kind Regards,
Hans

You need to raise the gate high to get anything out of it. You said CV is connected but what about gate? Just a thought. Took me a while to wrap my head around the unit but CV and gate are things you must know about for analog synths.

You might be insane if this is your first DIY project. The chances of making a mistake are extremely high. And finding those mistake are going to be a massive pain.

I also connected a Gate, sorry for not writing that.
Also i have the Waveform Sounds on the Molex Connectors, i resoldered all Board to Board Connectors. Still no Sound..
kobinn
Hi!

Can't seem to get any output from the jack... I get all +10, -10, etc voltages and resoldered over and over again, so i don't know what im getting wrong...

Oscillators work perfectly checking the molex connectors!

Any chance I can get the schematics so it'll be easier to debug this?
Kevin Mitchell
Any updates for the expansion panels? I check in a few times a week for any progress.

Hope all is well!
-KM
aethyr
I need help repairing a MME. Anyone have enough experience with these that feels comfortable fixing it?

PM me.
jdelgoulet
aethyr wrote:
I need help repairing a MME. Anyone have enough experience with these that feels comfortable fixing it?

PM me.

You've got a message.
Julien
Kevin Mitchell
The Model D itch continues... Looks like I'm going big next time around
fuzzbass
Questions:
1. What are the purpose of JP1, JP11-13?
2. Is there a schematic published?

Thank you.

Found it!
JP10 : you must put a jumper (so that both pins are connected)
JP11 - JP12 - JP13 are not use yet : leave them like that. Those will be used for an up coming extension that will allow to access all 3 VCOs output waveforms at the same time (plus a sine wave generated for all 3), allowing you to patch the VCO like if they were single eurorack modules.
JP1 is not used yet : same as JP11, JP12, JP13 but for noise.
Swyndger
I have finished my MME months ago, but had no time to check and calibrate it. Now days are getting shorter and I put the MME back into modular.
Almost everything seems to work as it shound, except of the modulation.

VCO3 works fine in the audio way, even on low you can here it clicking smile
But when I switch VCO Mod on, the tune of VCO1 just gets deeper, and if I turn the MOD-Level up, the tone even gets deeper. If I switch VCF-Mod on, the filter closes (cutoff gets lower).
Mod-Mix seems to do nothing.

EDIT: Started calibrating the MME.
Everything if fine, except Step 5.
On TP10 I have no signal from VCO3. Instead there is a permanent -9,3V DC!
BTW: I can calibrate the offset on TP11 to ZERO

So before I start to make things worser, maybe someone has a hint, where I can start looking for errors. (Soldering seems to be ok ...)

By the way ... even it's not calibrated, the MME sounds great ...
jdelgoulet
If you set the MOD-MIX knob to "N" (left position), what do you have on TP-10 ?

TP-10 is the output of the modulation mix circuitry and should output either Noise/ Osc3 or a mix of both.
You can :
- check the orientation of Q92 , Q93 and Q91
- Make sure that Q92 and Q93 are matched.
- Make sure that you did not mix Q92/Q93 and Q91 (Q92 and Q93 are 2N3392 and Q91 is 2N4058).
- Check soldering of :
- Q91
- Q92
- Q93
- R337
- R338
- R342
- R339
- R340
- R335
- R336
- R341
Swyndger
Thank you, Julien, thank you very much!

There was a realy tiny - but visible! - solderjoint between one leg of Q91 and the resistor above (R339) ... now it's gone and modulation works fine. YES!

Still have to calibrate the last stepp ... when I switch OSC-MOD on and have MOD-LEVEL turned down, pitch goes one halftone up. But that will be done tomorrow. Now I am happy to have a wonderfull working little MME.
Cablebasher
Hey guys

Been following this thread since the start and have decided to take the plunge.

2 questions:

What do people think is the total cost of parts (excluding power and case)?

And

Is there an Approved mouser cart?

I have been through the thread and can’t seem to find one.

Looks like a pretty simple build as the pcb looks really nicely laid out.

My biggest issue (like most people) will be the SMD parts.

Thanks as always.
jdelgoulet
Unfortunately there is no Mouser Cart. The main reason is that components, in order to get a cheaper MME, should be ordered from multiple places.
Concerning the SMD soldering I would say that if you are meticulous this won't be hard : the more 'complicated' being the LM3046.
Kipling
As with many projects there is no single supplier that stocks all the components required. Some are quite rare and you have to search around to find them from wherever you can.
fuzzbass
Cablebasher wrote:
Hey guys

Been following this thread since the start and have decided to take the plunge.

2 questions:

What do people think is the total cost of parts (excluding power and case)?

And

Is there an Approved mouser cart?

I have been through the thread and can’t seem to find one.

Looks like a pretty simple build as the pcb looks really nicely laid out.

My biggest issue (like most people) will be the SMD parts.

Thanks as always.

Synthcube is getting ready to bring out a full kit offering. This is one of the more complicated BOMs to fulfill (aftermarket parts, rotary pots are 6mm round, but rotary switches are spline shaft, so ideally same knobs but different shafts - they can be had, from two different sources, lots of matched pairs, etc). If you don't want to manage the procurement, just wait for Synthcube's kit.

I have built one so far. And, while the analog board is dense, I found the boards and the BOM to be bug-free and the panels I received are pristine.

As a DIY offering, MME is one of the most well thought out and presented that I have seen. My only beef with Guinguin's BOM is that I would prefer that footprints be shown for active devices. I thought I had CA3046s for this until I had the boards in hand and found the required CA3046 are SOIC14(!). Also there are TL1963 LDOs in two different SMD footprints - one can easily overlook this.

The one thing to consider here: the schematics are not released, so debugging may be a bit more of a challenge than other projects. But the designer participates here, so you can certainly get good quality help.

If you don't already have one, I recommend building a transistor matching rig, as discussed in other recent threads. There are a bunch of matches needed here.
Cablebasher
thanks for the info guys

I will wait for the synthcube kits

I really hate sourcing parts!

From the pictures the PCB looks very straight forward and the build guide is very good

Look forward to building this as I haven't soldered any modules for months!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next [all]
Page 74 of 76