MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66  Next [all]
Author Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
jdelgoulet
PCB and Panel kits available here : https://guinguin-instruments.ecwid.com/

Build guide with BOM on github : https://guinguin-instruments.github.io/MME/

Rare parts kit (by DSL-MAN) : www.diysynth.de

Hello everyone !

My name is Julien Delgoulet, I'm a synth DIY passionate from a little town in France called Brive-La-gaillarde. I usually spend my time lurking on muff, matrixsynth , electro-music.com when I'm not repairing,
moding or designing synth related circuits.
For quite a long time, I dream to own a Minimoog but never had the cash to buy one ...
About a year ago, a friend of mine get one and, after playing a few times with it, I decided to give it a go. (By that time, I did not know that this project will fill all my nights and week-ends ... fortunatly I have a
wonderfull wife love )
The initial target was to make an exact replica but finally ends up with what I call "Mini-modules" (Think ARP like sub-modules for Filter, VCO etc) for any format : eurorack / Moog 5U, you name it. Also, they could fit behind a "real minimoog sized panel".

All the design are exact replica of the Minimoog rev 2.0 (the one based on CA3046 expo converters) and are all using thru-whole components (excepted a few components that only exist in SMD packages)

So, let me introduce you the idea of "Mini-modules" and the control boards that actually "activate" them.

There will be 6 "Mini-modules":

- VCO
- VCA/Preamp
- VCF
- VCF Env
- VCA Env
- Noise/mod-mix/glide

There will be also 7 "Controller boards" :
- One for each mini-module (so you get an eurorack version of each for example).
- Another, my favorite one, which is 60HP eurorack version where 3VCOs, VCF etc plug into. ( I choose 60 HP so that if you have a 84HP case, you still have some room for a real LFO, a midi/CV interface etc)

At the moment, everything works great, I'm finalizing the "Mini-modules" and the 60 HP Controller Board to hold them.
To give you an idea of the progress made so far , here are some pictures of old prototypes and "Mini-modules" eagle boards. More to come in a few days...

As you might except, this will be a DIY project and I will propose PCBs, BOMs and schematics so that "everyone" can build his own Mini ;-)

I'm so thrilled to expose this project to you guys ,particularly on muff (where I've been more than a lurker and not very helpfull to the communtiy) and
hope you are excited as I am about this project now it is not "secret" anymore w00t

Julien

Starspawn
Very nice!
Whats the rare parts count like?
horstronic
Wow, that's a big project! You must have spent a lot of time with it.
As you say these are exact replicas: Are there any hard to find parts in it?
That would probably scare away a lot of people.

Nice one, keep it up thumbs up
horstronic
2 minutes to late hihi
ablearcher
Whole minimoog in 60 hp? That is tight! Can you still wiggle on that? Also, impressive! Can't wait to hear the results.
jdelgoulet
Rare parts are mainly 2N4058/2N4402 which could be replaced if one does not care about "an exact replica". During development, I tried replacement parts and, to my ear, there was no difference.
E402 has been replaced, like on some Minimoog series, with 2N3954.
Also, TIS97 are hard to find parts but I have a very, very nice popular replacement part which is, on paper (datasheet) and to my hears, the same ;-)

I might offer "rare parts" packages or have someone deal with that for me.
At the moment, the target is : finish the mini-modules, the 60HP board and give you a taste of how it sounds.

PS : The idea of doing Mini-Modules was also a way for DIYers to easily debug and get help from others to track down what is wrong in a specific board.
A Mini for everyone ! nanners Rockin' Banana!
nicoodiy
Un Français!!

Quote:
As you might except, this will be a DIY project and I will propose PCBs, BOMs and schematics so that "everyone" can build his own Mini ;-)

Thanks to you for your open-source project!! applause
jdelgoulet
ablearcher wrote:
Whole minimoog in 60 hp? That is tight! Can you still wiggle on that? Also, impressive! Can't wait to hear the results.

Yes it is but not that bad actually. Spacing between pots, without knobs, is about 3 cm (1.15 inch).
jdelgoulet
And you have more options like variable PW and PWM inputs (don't know why this was not "standard" back in the days), dedicated CV in for each VCO (crazy modulations or paraphonic 3 voices Mini), buffered ADSs outputs to play with etc
seanpark
This looks really cool! I've always wanted to build a mini.
Isaiah
Oh, goodness...
trialanderror
That's an impressive and good looking project!
I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
mush
May I say that I love you?!
Morley
Nice!
latigid on
Yeah, but does it sound like a Mini?

(hides)
Moog$FooL$
nice..... good luck with this.

thumbs up
negativspace
Definitely interested. w00t
ThecureForSin
You can call me INTERESTED!
gbiz
Wow. Nice work Julien. applause
Sparky
Wow, this looks good. I'm interested too.
Isaiah
Are any of the jacks switching?
Just wondering if they could be easily replaced with bananas.

I'm curious to see a labelled image of the 60HP control/switch layout if you have one at all, please.

This is very impressive, by the way.
Thank you for sharing and making your project available.
I fear it might prove too hard to resist!
jdelgoulet
Isaiah wrote:
Are any of the jacks switching?

Some of them use the switching mechanism like the PWM individual inputs for each VCO.
sicpaul
Wow!
Not that i'm too short of projects,
but a Euro modular Mini .... it makes my mouth water!

love want, want, want Trampoline

thanks Julien
spoor
thumbs up Great stuff.

Would really like to build this - I hope someone comes up with some nice panels for this.
Barcode
Wow! This is fantastic. I am very interested! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66  Next [all]
Page 1 of 66