MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Surgeon supporting Lady Gaga with live modular set - really!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Surgeon supporting Lady Gaga with live modular set - really!
wonkychris
Just seen this video. Crazy!

Come on Tony, spill the beans...

http://www.djbroadcast.net/news/newsitem_id=502/Watch_Surgeon_Inflict_ Brutal_Techno_at_Lady_Gaga_Concert.html
Joe.
No capes. I am disapoint.
dogoftears
DAT TEE SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t w00t w00t why don't we have a COIL emoji.....
amnesia
Great to see Tony performing in front of people who are probably only use to hearing verse chorus music. The more the merrier!
sloth713
Quite enjoyable. It is fun to see pop musicians catch up with the sound of electronic musicians 20+ years ago. Also it was nice to hear some brief interludes of non-EDM electronic music get some air time. The lack of turntables was very pleasing too (not that DJing is a bad thing just way overdone).

Finally and totally off topic it is nice to see Lady Gaga without 800lbs of make up on (only wearing 8 pounds of the stuff) because the popular media needs to get over its one dimensional view of what it thinks visual beauty is.
Joe.
Get ready for a new wave of wigglers on here asking how to make Detroit-techno with their new modulars hihi
limpmeat
cool sounds!
ignatius
nice set!

who's the woman in red?
sloth713
ignatius wrote:
nice set!

who's the woman in red?

reading thread titles is important my friend hihi
(that is unless you were being facetious)
ignatius
sloth713 wrote:
ignatius wrote:
nice set!

who's the woman in red?

i read the title but confused because they kept cutting away to the dressing room and people would cheer like that was lady gaga in the dressing room. so.. thought the woman in red was someone else...

seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

edit: oh ah.. ha..

"Speaking about the surprise addition to Gaga’s entourage with Bloc Festival’s Lee Smith, Tony Surgeon recently admitted that the whole thing transpired after going to one of Gaga’s shows. “In October my wife and I went to the Lady Gaga concert in Birmingham and I was very surprised to hear one of her support acts, Lady Starlight playing a ‘realâ€↢ techno live set.” The duo inevitably hooked up, and joined forces upon the return leg of the tour, and well the rest has been now logged into the echelons of techno-history."
sloth713
ignatius wrote:
sloth713 wrote:
ignatius wrote:
nice set!

who's the woman in red?

i read the title but confused because they kept cutting away to the dressing room and people would cheer like that was lady gaga in the dressing room. so.. thought the woman in red was someone else...

seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

edit: oh ah.. ha..

"Speaking about the surprise addition to Gaga’s entourage with Bloc Festival’s Lee Smith, Tony Surgeon recently admitted that the whole thing transpired after going to one of Gaga’s shows. “In October my wife and I went to the Lady Gaga concert in Birmingham and I was very surprised to hear one of her support acts, Lady Starlight playing a ‘realâ€↢ techno live set.” The duo inevitably hooked up, and joined forces upon the return leg of the tour, and well the rest has been now logged into the echelons of techno-history."

Oops looks like I was wrong thanks for correction ignatius. thumbs up

Though I am by no means depressed by the fact that I can't recognize pop icons very well.
ignatius
i'm still not sure which one is lady gaga or if they're both lady gaga.

anyway.. nice set smile
Joe.
Dont worry, i'm sure none of the parents chaperoning that night could tell either.
kisielk
Lady Stralight is a DJ from New York that's known Lady Gaga from before she was famous. She actually inspired a lot of Gaga's visual appearance since she was doing that kind of stuff long before. There's a really good interview with Surgeon on how the whole thing came about and what it was like here:

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/interviews/surgeon-on-openi ng-for-lady-gaga-it-was-very-important-for-us-to-present-real-raw-tech no-and-not-water-it-down/
youknowiloveyou
Was totally surreal and a whole lot of fun.

FYI Lady Starlight has opened for Lady Gaga on every date of her 7 month tour with a hardware techno liveset.

Everyone I met from the tour was really lovely and very positive.
Really passionate about music too, not just turning it on when they're on stage.
Pleasantly surprised about that.

This was the rig I used that night.
kisielk
The video looks great, the two of you look like you had a ton of fun up there.
Tooths
Very very awesome! A lot of music out of those four boxes
Bonobo
I just came across this and holy-crap its totally nuts nanners nanners nanners

Loved it, thanks for the info as well Tony, amazing job.
Parametex
Dead Banana

Wtf did I just watch hahah

BRILLIANT!

It an honorable privilidge educating the hell out of that crowd. WELL DONE!!
PolarIceCaves
youknowiloveyou wrote:

This was the rig I used that night.

just came to look if anyone had cribbed your gear-list, never thought you'd be here yourself, and with ample info!! CHEERS
youknowiloveyou
Parametex wrote:
@Tony

Any insight you would like to give regarding the changed setup (at the Gaga warmup) ? Rene seemed to be gone. Was that temporary change for that particular nite?

Answering your question in this thread, seems more at home here...

The last rig I posted is just what my gig rig has currently evolved into, I've been gigging with that same setup since mid September and using the same one for Hybrid DJ / Live sets (modular + Ableton like the Dekmantel vid), pure live modular sets alongside Blawan as TRADE and the same for the Gaga warmup. twisted

The patch is pretty complex with a lot of cross modulation and 'one CV controlling several parameters'
Lots of fun!

In September I performed a more tonal / drone set at Labyrinth Festival in Japan using a very different rig- Rene, Braids, E340 Cloud Generator, Maths, Echnophon. See below.

Happy to share info here because I've learned so much from the wealth of information on this forum and it's a really positive place love
Parametex
Much obliged!

It's quite interesting getting insight of a fellow artist on the modular (pun loosely intended) nature of the module selections per gig.

I figured most of your melodies (on the Dekmantel at least) came from the Rene so I was wondering as how did you manage without it at the Gaga show?
youknowiloveyou
Parametex wrote:
I figured most of your melodies (on the Dekmantel at least) came from the Rene so I was wondering as how did you manage without it at the Gaga show?

Turing Machine spits out all the pitch voltages in the new setup. Tamed by the uScale. Mikrophonie is great for sending CV into the Turing Machine to change the sequences but becomes a bit uncontrollable at very loud gigs where there's a lot of vibration!
maurice
tbh I also enjoy lady gaga oops
Abraxis
That was fantastic, thanks for sharing your rig! Guinness ftw!

Great story too and The Best Shirt Possible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2