MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro modules - Oval mounting holes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Euro modules - Oval mounting holes
ignatius
to all of you who make modules w/oval mounting holes in the face plates..

THANK YOU. you make life better. that is all.

applause Guinness ftw!

ps - not a slight against the round holed faceplates.. they're nice too but the ovals have save me lot's of little frustrations over the years....

and sliding nuts are the devils rabbit food.

have a nice weekend!
ben_hex
Totally with you on that, one or two oval / slots instead of round holes work wonders to make sure a row all fits right.
Summa
seriously, i just don't get it what's the problem with your sliding nuts? My nuts slide just fine applause
sleepy_sloth
Definitely! Just shifted a few things around and oval holes make it so much easier to line things up.

I bought some sliding nuts a while back but the thought of taking everything out of my case again to install them makes me throw up a little in my mouth, so fixed rails are fine by me for now. thumbs up
ersatzplanet
Oval holes are now seldom used for what they were originally intended. Oval holes were originally for mixed Analogue Systems and Doepfer systems. The AS holes are 0.2" form the panel edge and the Doepfer holes are 0.3" from the edge. The oval holes were originally used to allow these modules to be placed in the same threaded rows without having the 1/2 HP gap that would result otherwise. Nowadays they are to compensate for poor metalwork. A lot of the current oval holes are not place in a way to make this work, most are just centered on the Doepfer spacing (I assume to compensate for poor metal shops used by some makers)

I have over 1000 HP in all threaded cabinets and have only once or twice had problems with alignment. The picture below shows what they were originally meant for. The White panels are Doepfer, the Blue AS and the orange slotted. In a Doepfer rig the screw would be on the right end of the slot, on the AS it would be on the left.

SOFTWIRE
I would like to do slotted holes on my modules but since i use capacitive switch buttons the front panel has to be pcb material. That slot next to the edge would be too brittle to take a chance with it breaking when tightening a screw down.
ether
I'm the King of OCD, so the oval holes drive me nuts. Form trumps function for me in this case.

I have no AS modules, so oval holes come across to me as non-spec and ugly.

Who moved my cheese?
Dofkev
I hate oval mounting holes. Thanks to all the makers who do not use them.
ersatzplanet
SOFTWIRE wrote:
I would like to do slotted holes on my modules but since i use capacitive switch buttons the front panel has to be pcb material. That slot next to the edge would be too brittle to take a chance with it breaking when tightening a screw down.

Many metal shops cringe at the standard holes used by most makers. The standard rule of thumb in metalwork that is punched instead of milled is to not have the hole closer to the edge of the sheet than 1/2 the diameter of the hole itself. Doing less than that will often cause the metal to twist at the thin edge, especially if the punch is anywhere near the end of its like cycle.

As for the PCB - If you make the slot plated through and have large enough pads or the ground plane on both sides, you should be safe enough. Worth the experiment of course but again slots are not strictly necessary and if the holes are large enough, any mis-allignment can be easily compensated for. Also if you are making the front panel out of PCB material and drilled by the PCB house, most all PCB houses have to deal with accuracy MUCH higher than metalwork shops do (unless you pay high for it).
scottmoon
I've used a small round file to gently elongate a hole that wasn't in the right place. Manufacturer will remain anonymous. hihi
MindMachine
scottmoon wrote:
I've used a small round file to gently elongate a hole that wasn't in the right place. Manufacturer will remain anonymous. hihi

**cough**Plan B**cough**
ignatius
lol.

we all have preferences for everything.. i was just sounding off because i have a doepfer monster case and the threaded inserts are two cuts pieces in each rail so there's a gap in the middle or ends.. having a few modules w/oval holes helps with the fitting of modules.. i've had some screw holes not line up. just off a tiny bit and oval holes solve the problem.

these days can buy 168 HP tiptop Z rails and not worry about it.. but in doepfer monster cases.. no so much wink
HIMA
is there a poll? my vote is for oval holes all the way! Dono-Kun Dance
silversurfer
agreed, they make life much easier
stk
ether wrote:

Who moved my cheese?

hihi The entire Eurorack subgenre is hell for ocd cry
Kodama
OVAL <3
kisielk
negativspace
When designing a product for public consumption it pays to consider the widest range of possibilities for its use. Slotted holes mean more compatibility with more cases - retail, DIY, in-spec or not - and for me that was the end of the argument. It may not look as tidy and if you over-gorilla your screws it's less durable, but as a car guy I've come to believe that fitment is always the first consideration. hihi

The metal shop I use has a tolerance of .005" if you ask for it, and I do, so I'm not really compensating for anything on that front.
Mefistophelees
It takes one slightly off sized module to mess up an entire row. Oval holes are very useful!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1