MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plague Bearer Bare Bones Kit.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Plague Bearer Bare Bones Kit.....
megamouse
That design Rules Terrafratyl! Planning on expanding with a second PCB in the future?
terrafractyl
Thanks megamouse!

yeah reckon i'll order a second Pb and a sos Barebones pack next time i have some spare $
johnnymad
I agree! very cool design!
Lama
flight wrote:
It doesn't include the extra four jacks in the multiples (High, Low, Gain, Input).

Ah, thanks for the info.
Cat-A-Tonic
What are the details behind the 'easter egg' pads on the board?

There are 3 pads next to every pot. that seem like they might be for attenuators.

There are 4 more mysterious ones around the TL082 chip.

Is there anything else that can be brought out to the panel via these pads?
Cat-A-Tonic
Rev3.3
Are the pads around the chip for the mod. to revert back to prior versions of the Plague,
or are there some hidden I/O or switch-points that may be of interest?
Perhaps a buffer?
or points at which one might patch in an inverter for the Gain CV?
What are those aforementioned 'Easter Eggs'?
There isn't a schematic in the manual.
flight
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Rev3.3
Are the pads around the chip for the mod. to revert back to prior versions of the Plague,
or are there some hidden I/O or switch-points that may be of interest?
Perhaps a buffer?
or points at which one might patch in an inverter for the Gain CV?
What are those aforementioned 'Easter Eggs'?
There isn't a schematic in the manual.

Okay, okay, here's the answers:

Pads by the pots: Those are just for headers, for remote-mounting the pots or just replacing them when they wear out down the line.

Little pads by the chip: Those are just vias (a hole to connect top & bottom traces). I just didn't have them covered with soldermask.

Most of the extra pads and options were removed after the 3.1 since nobody asked about them, but you can still do a few mods as long as you're comfortable working with surface-mount components.

Gain CV: This one is easy - just invert the CV signal before it gets to the board.

Output level: The output is buffered using the second opamp of the TL082 (pins 5-7) and the two 10k resistors next to the chip (marked 1002). Looking at the picture, the input (from the output if the first opamp at pin1) resistor is above the chip, and the feedback resistor is to the right of the chip. Gain is normally 1:1.

Distortion, stability, and general gnarliness: This is controlled primarily be the resistor above and to the left of the buffer input resistor, and is marked 1214 (1.21M). This sets the upper limit to how nasty and unstable the PB can get. Increase the value for more nasty, decrease the value for less nasty.
100k is a good lower value for a clean-sounding filter. 2M+ will fuzz the fuck out of things and make it squeal like your mother did last night. A higher value = more self oscillation

As for stability, the brown chip to the left of the IC is a 10pf compensation capacitor that suppresses excessive oscillation. You could replace this with a variable capacitor or just remove it.

It's been a while since I've contemplated the PB circuit so I can't recall all the options, but I'll try to post more when I do remember.
Cat-A-Tonic
Thanks for the detailed information Flight. Coffee Addiction FTW
If you think of more later, please post.
I'm not scared of SMT.

I had room on my panel, so I decided to add a passive attenuator.
It may get normalled to something down the line...
I figured it might be useful between the output & input for variable feedback,
or at one of the CV inputs.
flight
You're welcome!
The input attenuator is an excellent idea. Another approach is to change the input pot to a 1M or higher - I actually did this with the 3.1, but it changed the sound quality enough (less aggressive) for me to receive a few questioning emails that I changed it back to 100k.

One former easter egg was the gain CV, really. On the first run of the 3.1, there was no jack for the Gain CV - a pretty big easter egg! Then I realized I was being stupid and put a jack on the panel.

Another easter egg is only present on the 3.1. Looking at the 3.3 picture you posted, the small black chip with three leads, right above the compensation cap, is a transistor. The 3.1 had two transistors there - one NPN, one PNP. These process the Gain CV. The NPN handles positive CV, the PNP handles negative CV, which are not commonly used. The pair made for very interesting tonal character when modulating the gain with a bipolar signal, especially since I didn't bother biasing the bases exactly to zero volts, giving them an interesting crossover effect.
Cat-A-Tonic
Should the ground lugs of the High and Low jacks be wired to ground,
or are they intentionally floating?

I didn't see this connection mentioned in the manual.
Cat-A-Tonic
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Should the ground lugs of the High and Low jacks be wired to ground,
or are they intentionally floating?

I went ahead and wired them to ground.
All works fine. A new Plague is born.
flight
Sorry to take so long.

Jack grounds: Grounding is OK. I left them floating on the modules because of the multiples, but either way works for the Barebones.
DGTom
Sweet PB cat-a-tonic SlayerBadger!
in such good company as well!

I need me some Gain Plague Flamey

is that metal stamped lettering + paint in-fill?
Cat-A-Tonic
DGTom wrote:
Sweet PB cat-a-tonic SlayerBadger! javascript:bbstyle(-1)
in such good company as well!

I need me some Gain Plague Flamey

is that metal stamped lettering + paint in-fill?

Thanks DGTom,
and yes it's steel hand-stamped lettering with Lacquer Stik fill-in paint.

I was inspired by Sduck for the fill-in paint,
and I think it was the Bad Producer who inspired the hand-stamped lettering with his medical-green Mankato.

This Plague Bearer has a twin on the way.

The inverted Gain CV is lots of fun.

The bottom knob and pair of jacks is a passive attenuator.
It does come in handy for fine tuning the input level & CVs of course.
This thing is made of sweet spots. Turn on, tune in, and get infected. zombie

Thanks for the confirmation Flight.
I suspected that the floating grounds had something to do with multing the inputs.
Does that mean multing the inputs (as opposed to mixing) is a no no when the jacks are grounded?
flight
You can ground & mult if you ground the switch of jack 1 and connect the tip of jack 1 to the switch of jack 2 and the PCB input connection. Just make sure you plug into jack 1 first when using it. Otherwise you are just plugging your signal into ground.
The_Crooked_Man
Any idea when the barebones PB's are going to be back in stock?
mckenic
I guess he must be super busy...

I know I have paypal credit burning a hole waiting for PB, SoS and V-Amp kits smile It really is burning a hole tho and I need a VCA or two!
flight
mckenic wrote:
I guess he must be super busy...

Dude, you have no idea! That was a freaking marathon.

The_Crooked_Man wrote:
Any idea when the barebones PB's are going to be back in stock?

Right about... now. wink
mckenic
Sweet!!!

You deserve a Guinness ftw! !

I forgot to tell you who I was when I emailed you! Im the little guy from Ireland!

Looking forward to getting some kits - thanks man!

Dave
flight
mckenic wrote:
Sweet!!!

You deserve a Guinness ftw! !

I forgot to tell you who I was when I emailed you! Im the little guy from Ireland!

Looking forward to getting some kits - thanks man!

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the Guinness! (love that stuff)
I'm working on your order right now, so you should see it soon. smile
negativspace
Speaking of the kits, I finally got around to painting up my dual panel this week. It didn't come out quite as 'nasty' as I originally had in mind, but it looks great in the green minicase, so I think I'm just gonna go with it. In fact, I could stick another one of these in there and have a DIY standalone quad. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

(In fact... this is only 12hp wide, so in the 28hp case I'd even have 4 free for some mults. Or a ringmod. Or both!)

As you might guess by the second photo the output of the first is normalled to the input of the second.
flight
I like it, nice work!
negativspace wrote:
...(In fact... this is only 12hp wide, so in the 28hp case I'd even have 4 free for some mults. Or a ringmod. Or both!)...

Perhaps a V'Amp barebones might work well there... wink
negativspace
Thanks. SlayerBadger!

This is an old 28hp minicase, not one of the new(er) 32s. I would have to squeeeeeeeze that V'Amp from 8hp to 4. Looking at it, that means losing the multed jacks plus either 2 pots or 1 pot and a jack. Still, I might be able to pull it off. Sure would be a perfect complement...
mckenic
Thanks a MILLION Flight - my kits arrived safe and sound this morning! we're not worthy

Sorry if this is covered a million times before - and I know DIY means DIY but if I could confirm a few things please...

Main thing - what is the switch (on the jack) for and what do I wire it up to please? seriously, i just don't get it

Ive gotten 4 extra jacks to wire-up the multis - I just connect tip to tip right?

I can run all the grounds together - one wire around all the 9 jacks and then into say one of the center holes of the Dopfer power area? Im only going to use one set of 5 header pins of the Dopfer connector as the other 4 wire connector kinda covers the holes. I can ignore the ground on the IN, OUT and GAIN CV headers then right?

Sorry for the questions - Im kinda coming at DIY sideways - dont have the basic knowledge, never studied electronics but Im enthusiastic and built an Arduinome and a SammichSid Mr. Green

Again - THANK YOU so much Filght! REALLY excited!
Dave
flight
mckenic wrote:
Thanks a MILLION Flight - my kits arrived safe and sound this morning! we're not worthy

You are quite welcome Sir!
Quote:
Sorry if this is covered a million times before - and I know DIY means DIY but if I could confirm a few things please...

Remember: DIY means Do It Yourself, not FIOY (Figure It Out Yourself)
Quote:
Main thing - what is the switch (on the jack) for and what do I wire it up to please? seriously, i just don't get it

Absolutely nothing! The switch is completely ignored. It's just easier & cheaper to have one standardized jack type, than having multiple specialized ones.
Quote:
Ive gotten 4 extra jacks to wire-up the multis - I just connect tip to tip right?

Yup. And don't use the switch if you're wiring them as mulitples.
Quote:
I can run all the grounds together - one wire around all the 9 jacks and then into say one of the center holes of the Dopfer power area? Im only going to use one set of 5 header pins of the Dopfer connector as the other 4 wire connector kinda covers the holes. I can ignore the ground on the IN, OUT and GAIN CV headers then right?

You can do that, or you can use one of the ground wires from one those headers instead and avoid having to solder to the PCB. The module actually has the grounds of IN, HIGH, LOW, and GAIN connected to the IN header, and the ground of the OUT jack to the OUT header. I do this to avoid any signal coupling via common ground.
Quote:
Sorry for the questions - Im kinda coming at DIY sideways - dont have the basic knowledge, never studied electronics but Im enthusiastic and built an Arduinome and a SammichSid Mr. Green

Again - THANK YOU so much Filght! REALLY excited!
Dave
Never apologize for asking. We all have to start somewhere, and we all learn in different ways. Save your apologies for the mess you make when you don't ask first.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5