MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plague Bearer Bare Bones Kit.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Plague Bearer Bare Bones Kit.....
mckenic
Ho - Lee - Sheet! woah

Flight - thank you so much for your patience and encouragement! It really is appreciated and very, very welcome! thumbs up Thank you very much!

So I wired up my Plague Bearer today with the below wiring connected to the ground from the IN header...

I dont have a lot of modules (and about 10 leads) but I played with the Plague Bearer, A-110, Doepfer multiple, SN-NZ and an A-145 for a bit.

4 hours later I was getting cramps in my face from smiling so much! WOW, WOW, WOW! I cant believe how insane Plague Bearer is - you really cant tame it and it will NOT play quietly in the corner! I had HIGH at 9 o clock, Low at 12, the lfo clocking the GAIN and riding the INPUT LEVEL manually. The INPUT LEVEL was doing insane things to the sound! One of the PBs audio outputs was going into the PITCH of the A-110 and a noise randomly resetting the lfo...

I'll be very honest Flight - the reason I got into modulars this summer was to get an Atari POKEY, a Plague Bearer and WMD Geiger Counter to process my drum loops. Today was a eureka moment like the first time I put a guitar thru digital delay or hearing Aphex Twin Window Licker for the first time and I cant thank you enough for making something thats this much fun... Not 100% sure I know what Im doing but fuck! Im enjoying the ride so far.

Im scared that I might explode when I get the V'Amp and SOS soldered up!

Thanks mate!
mckenic
Oh and!

Love the jacks - mine dont have that excellent spring!
When I was using my multimeter to do a contunity test on the PBBBP, I'd turn it on and the readout would quickly flash 6.66... never did that before hihi
flight
mckenic wrote:
Ho - Lee - Sheet! woah

Flight - thank you so much for your patience and encouragement! It really is appreciated and very, very welcome! thumbs up Thank you very much!
You are most welcome Sir, just doing my job. The more you know, the more you will enjoy making music.
Quote:

4 hours later I was getting cramps in my face from smiling so much! WOW, WOW, WOW! I cant believe how insane Plague Bearer is - you really cant tame it and it will NOT play quietly in the corner! I had HIGH at 9 o clock, Low at 12, the lfo clocking the GAIN and riding the INPUT LEVEL manually. The INPUT LEVEL was doing insane things to the sound! One of the PBs audio outputs was going into the PITCH of the A-110 and a noise randomly resetting the lfo...

I'll be very honest Flight - the reason I got into modulars this summer was to get an Atari POKEY, a Plague Bearer and WMD Geiger Counter to process my drum loops. Today was a eureka moment like the first time I put a guitar thru digital delay or hearing Aphex Twin Window Licker for the first time and I cant thank you enough for making something thats this much fun... Not 100% sure I know what Im doing but fuck! Im enjoying the ride so far.

LOL, that is awesome: another happily infected customer! This is exactly the reason I keep the prices on the Plague Bearer so low; it is just too damn much fun to use! I want as many people as possible to have a chance to use one (or more), even if it means I don't actually make a profit on them. smile
Quote:
Im scared that I might explode when I get the V'Amp and SOS soldered up!

Thanks mate!

Not a problem, it was my pleasure to share. As for the V'Amp and SoS, the V'Amp is much more subtle and tricky to use, but well worth it once you've spent some serious time experimenting. The SoS, however, is going to blow you right the f*ck away. Like all of my products, the actual worth of the SoS takes some time and dedication to reveal, but oh is it in there!

mckenic wrote:
Oh and!

Love the jacks - mine dont have that excellent spring!
When I was using my multimeter to do a contunity test on the PBBBP, I'd turn it on and the readout would quickly flash 6.66... never did that before hihi
Flamey
Luka
Got a quick (simple maybe) question
since i have no schematic i cant confirm so..

i am putting my PB as an effect into my mb808. i only have room for 3 pots so i am thinking of leaving out the PB signal input pot.

i plan on putting a mixer before it and sending channels from my drums to the mixer which feeds the PB. each drum channel has a output attenuator.

you get a wide range of sounds by varying the input signal so i am wondering if this situation will have the same result.
flight
Luka wrote:
Got a quick (simple maybe) question
since i have no schematic i cant confirm so..

i am putting my PB as an effect into my mb808. i only have room for 3 pots so i am thinking of leaving out the PB signal input pot.

i plan on putting a mixer before it and sending channels from my drums to the mixer which feeds the PB. each drum channel has a output attenuator.

you get a wide range of sounds by varying the input signal so i am wondering if this situation will have the same result.

It won't be the same, but it ought to be close enough. Dive it a shot and let us know!
Luka
would i be better not using a mixer?

all the signals are coming direct from buffers so they should have similar output impedances
flight
Luka wrote:
would i be better not using a mixer?

all the signals are coming direct from buffers so they should have similar output impedances
That depends on the signal level put out by the buffers. The PB works best with low-level signals (≤200mVp-p) so, if the output is modular-level, you'll need the mixer to prevent overdriving the PB input.
Luka
hmm ok

perhaps ill try put a trimmer on the circuit

thanks
flight
If there's only room for three of the original 16mm pots, what about using 12mm or 9mm pots with smaller knobs? You might be able to squeeze them all in that way. I can check and see if I have all the values in my scavenged parts hoard.
Luka
all the pots on the mb808 board are pcb mount.
they included an aux section for mods which has 6 mounting points for pots.
i want 3 for my delay and 3 for the PB.

i thought about a chunk out of the pcb which would leave enough space so either mount the pots to the front panel or add a new pcb there but it all just gets complicated. it is right next to the psu so i dont want to stress it out too much and i probably would end up severing something by mistake

pcb mounted pots really bites you in the ass sometimes
i could get smaller pots and panel mount but then it gets tricky when you have to open up the case
flight
Ah, gotcha. I thought you might be squeezing the PBBP in some open space or something.

So you're gonna have to desolder the existing pots?
Luka
yup i will desolder the pots on the PB
(ill probably snip them off then desolder the remaining legs)
flight
Do whatcha gotta do my friend.
active
just got this pieced together along with the POWER barebones kit. i'm waiting for a distro board to arrive, but in the meantime, is there a easy way to just wire the POWER module directly to the PB or is it likely that i'll over cook something?
Luka
hey flight i just wired up my 2nd PB into my modular and im observing 20VPP signals at the output. your website says 10VPP so im wondering what i have done to make this happen.

when installing i replaces all the pots and ripped out all the connectors and wired it all up. also im using bananas so there is no ground with each signal or control cable (but i tested with an internal ground bus between vco > pb)

no shorts as far as i can see
im pretty sure i used the same pot values but id need to pull them off the panel to check

any ideas?
flight
active wrote:
just got this pieced together along with the POWER barebones kit. i'm waiting for a distro board to arrive, but in the meantime, is there a easy way to just wire the POWER module directly to the PB or is it likely that i'll over cook something?
Here's one way:

Replace the Doepfer-style cable with the 4-pin MOTM, if that's what you have.
No need to worry about overpowering anything; they will only draw the current that they need.
Luka wrote:
hey flight i just wired up my 2nd PB into my modular and im observing 20VPP signals at the output. your website says 10VPP so im wondering what i have done to make this happen.
any ideas?
You haven't done anything wrong. It really depends on how strong of a input signal is used and how high you crank the gain. There is no limiter on the output, so it can put out an almost rail-to-rail signal. The 10vp-p max is with "standard" operating conditions, meaning the input is not overdriven - which varies by the signal type. I just forgot to include that in the specs.
If the output is too high for your use then you're probably overdriving the input. Try pre-attenuating the signal and see what you think.
Luka
good to know
thanks man
active
i love f(h) more and more every day! super excited to get this thing cookin! thanks so much for setting that straight!
flight
You are quite welcome!
Luka
i am really surprised about how easily it is to make this module ram out super hot voltages - seems a little unsafe in modular environment especially since most people will only use modular level signals with it. even when i send my machinedrum into it i have to carefully gain stage and use input attenuation to achieve voltages within a 20VPP range

did you ever think about adding a voltage divider for the module versions of plague bearers so most 10VPP input signals are dropped down to a reasonble input range - even before the input attenuation pot?

or does that remove the ability to use it as a noise source or some other feature?
flight
Luka wrote:
i am really surprised about how easily it is to make this module ram out super hot voltages - seems a little unsafe in modular environment especially since most people will only use modular level signals with it. even when i send my machinedrum into it i have to carefully gain stage and use input attenuation to achieve voltages within a 20VPP range

did you ever think about adding a voltage divider for the module versions of plague bearers so most 10VPP input signals are dropped down to a reasonble input range - even before the input attenuation pot?

or does that remove the ability to use it as a noise source or some other feature?

These have both been a concern of mine since the beginning - both the PB's ability to be easily overdriven and the possibility of excessive output voltage. While this is the first time the output level has been brought up, overdriving the input has been the cause of many troubleshooting emails that I have received. Both will be addressed in the next revision of the PB, but I am still unsure of the exact method to use on either just yet. The main reasons these have not been done yet: 1) Cost, 2) Affect the sound, 3) Too many prior revisions of the PB in too short a span of time.

Addressed individually:
Cost:
I do not make a profit on PB items (I think I may actually lose money in some cases), and I do not intend to either. Because of its incredible range of use, I have always felt that the PB is an item that everyone should be able to enjoy. Adding any more complexity to it will make this impossible for me to afford. I had decided to design it for as wide a range of usage as possible, instead of limiting the possibilities to conform to a subset of possible uses.
Affect the sound:
With the r3.1, I changed the value of the input attenuation pot from 100k to 1M to address the problem of overdriving the input. I promptly received a number of complaints about how weak the r3.1 sounded. I then changed it back and have not heard any more about it.
A voltage divider before the input pot should work quite well without greatly affecting the tone of the unit, but I have to include a means to bypass the divider as at least 60% of current users do not have issues in this area and this would greatly alter how the PB works in their uses. While most users have the ability to pre-attenuate the input signal before the PB input, there is no way for anybody to change the signal once it is inside the unit. So doing this would require a switch or other control available on the panel, which goes back to cost.
Too many prior revisions:
I pissed off quite a few early PB users! I think I released three revisions in under six months, and earned every complaint I received. I'm taking my time on the next revision, as it will be the last functionality-addressing revision I will make.

Keep in mind that the PB was my first module design ever. I had no freaking clue how to do it, so I think it turned out pretty well, all things considered. However, I do agree that there are still a couple issues that need to be addressed, and they will be on the next revision (which I hope to have out this year). In fact, I would greatly appreciate any input that any of you may have toward this end. I know there has to be other issues that I have not heard of yet, or at least further input on how the current setup affects your usage of it. Never worry about insulting or offending me, as this is not about me. I want to make products that you enjoy, find useful, and that give you new ideas and ways of expressing yourself. So this is really about you; I work for you, so you are my boss. Let me know when I fuck up!

The constraints I am trying to keep the next revision of the PB in are:
1) Cost <US$100.00
2) 8 h.p.

The biggest change will be the elimination of any wires and converting the PB to the "sandwich" style of PCB-panel orientation. This will reduce the assembly cost significantly, which means a little added circuit complexity is doable.
The output will have some form of limiting, but not sure just what yet. Most AGC are too complex, so likely a hard limiter such as a zener clamp or similar method (maybe limiting the output amp supplies).
Also keep in mind that this is about the basic PB; the more exotic implementations will be addressed in the "Super" Plague Bearer, as discussed in the "Plague Osc" thread.
Luka
fwiw the module sounds fantastic and i woudn't want to try tame it if it is going to change the overall sound

perhaps you could set up a SMD voltage divider which you can use a jumper to select the range - either line or modular - this would only add 3 SMD resistors and pins for jumper.
Cat-A-Tonic
Here is a picture of the twins.
bluemeanie
i just got one of these.... it has the 4pin connector on it.. is the idea that i desolder this and install a 10pin idc for use with my doepfer rack?

also, is the idea with the headers for use with the jacks dont need to be soldered? just stick the cable in? when i've used these in the past the metal pin that sits inside the header comes seperate and you solder the cable to this first then stick it inside the header...

thanks
flight
bluemeanie wrote:
i just got one of these.... it has the 4pin connector on it.. is the idea that i desolder this and install a 10pin idc for use with my doepfer rack?

The simplest way to adapt it for euro use is to get a Molex (or clone) crimp-style 4-pin 0.156" connector and connect as in this picture:

Quote:
also, is the idea with the headers for use with the jacks dont need to be soldered? just stick the cable in? when i've used these in the past the metal pin that sits inside the header comes seperate and you solder the cable to this first then stick it inside the header...

thanks
The supplied connectors are IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector), and are not intended to be soldered. The wire is just pushed into the connector, which cuts through the insulation and makes contact with the copper inside. A manual that explains this should have been included with the BP, but a copy is attached just in case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5