MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

kaitlyn aurelia smith
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author kaitlyn aurelia smith
faxe_kondi
Has everyone heard her new-ish song "An Intention"? I think it's pretty great and I'm definitely excited for the new album.
digits
faxe_kondi wrote:
Has everyone heard her new-ish song "An Intention"? I think it's pretty great and I'm definitely excited for the new album.

Yep, really great. So was the Sade cover she released on Bandcamp not too long ago. Really stoked for her new record, and I'm seeing her perform in November.
nklif
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kaitlyn-aurelia-smith-on-ne w-album-the-kid-w502838
GuyaGuy
nklif wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kaitlyn-aurelia-smith-on-ne w-album-the-kid-w502838

thumbs up
Looking forward to the new LP
nklif
Yeah, sounds great and she's always evolving
amnesia
I love the new track An Invertation.i think it's one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time but I am not a fan of her miming playing the Buchla live when it's clearly not the Buchla making the sounds. I could be wrong as I have never used the Midi but she seems to miming on it. I am fairly sure that the Easel sequencer isn't a vca as well.
Comparing the live version of An Invertation to the album version the only difference is the vocals mix has more of the "male" vocal up louder in the mix.
GuyaGuy
amnesia wrote:
I love the new track An Invertation.i think it's one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time but I am not a fan of her miming playing the Buchla live when it's clearly not the Buchla making the sounds. I could be wrong as I have never used the Midi but she seems to miming on it. I am fairly sure that the Easel sequencer isn't a vca as well.
Comparing the live version of An Invertation to the album version the only difference is the vocals mix has more of the "male" vocal up louder in the mix.

I'd be surprised if there was miming. I think that impression probably comes from how performative her movements are when playing. You can see that in her videos just with the Buchla or with the Moog gear as well. But also, like she mentions in that interview, her recordings are basically "live" recordings, practiced until she is ready to record. So it's no surprise that the live recordings sound like the live recordings!
ExtrasensoryPerception
Yeah...no. She is miming, whether she admits it or not. Ableton Live playback makes up most of her performances: I talked to a few people who shared stages with her and were able to confirm this, though she is not too keen on sharing.
That doesn't mean she isn't good at what she does, of course....live is very different from studio.
amnesia
I saw her live and didnt actually hear much Easel at all. Her music is great though I just didnt see the point in the miming.
baremountain
Just got my copy of The Kid in the mail the other day. It's a freakin' masterpiece!
It also came with a nice promo poster, which I hung right behind my Euro. Got the supreme goddess looking down on me while I learn & take baby steps we're not worthy
gruvsyco
Listening to it now. It's very nice. She really makes me wish I had any kind of aptitude for singing at all.
amnesia
The Kid is like if Laurie Anderson and Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins) met on a small Asian island and dropped acid. :-)
BLX
amnesia wrote:
The Kid is like if Laurie Anderson and Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins) met on a small Asian island and dropped acid. :-)

well I'm sold based on this smile

Was a big fan of Ears
GuyaGuy
Into it on the first listen. She's added Western classical instruments fairly liberally, she also looks East with gamelans and chimes. Much of it feels tropical--complex but bathed in light, bird chirps. And her natural voice sit much more solidly in the middle than on previous LPs with the digital harmonizing in the background.
mome rath
she was my soundtrack to the solar eclipse

kragg
Beautiful track.
cyclopeatron
I've seen pictures of her playing what appears to be a eurorack rig at her last few shows:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWo9dQnT85/?hl=en&taken-by=kaitlynaurelia

Does anyone know what she's playing? Any photos or eyewitness reports?
memes_33
cyclopeatron wrote:

Does anyone know what she's playing? Any photos or eyewitness reports?

going to see her tonight in SF- i'll report back!
memes_33
soooo
i went to the show last night- she was great and the visuals were pretty cool, too. unfortunately, i didn't get close enough to see details, but she's mostly running eurorack (i didn't see any buchla but again i didn't get close enough to see details).

so basically i don't have any more info to add other than "she's using some eurorack"
Clacky
Saw her show last night. Sounded great, cool video.

Unclear what all was going on up there. Gear spotting: she had a Eurorack setup that looked to be a descendant of the one in the video posted above by mome rath. Looked like the Make Noise case with the bus in the middle. And probably she had a Tempi, a Maths, a Wogglebug, and a René, among other modules -- but it was hard to tell from where I was. There were all also two laptops, a much-used foot pedal, and various things on a tabletop that I couldn't make out.
yeatsvisitslincoln
How close is the performance to the recorded music?

I really want to see her live, but she hasn't come anywhere remotely close to me.
Clacky
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:

I really want to see her live, but she hasn't come anywhere remotely close to me.

Well I had only listened to the new album a couple times, so take this for what it's worth, but I thought the live segments sounded a lot like the album tracks. My sense is that her music has a lot of intentionally composed elements, so that what gets recorded is (multiple tracks of?) the performance of a score that she could in principle perform again.
subbasshead
Four Tet Remix

[s]http://soundcloud.com/western_vinyl/kaitlyn-aurelia-smith-i-will-ma ke-room-for-you-four-tet-remix[/s]

Four Tet remix direct soundcloud link

Dont know why soundcloud wont embed
bobdylan

I saw her earlier last year and it sounded exactly like the record and she was definitely "performing" it. As in I don't think many if any backing tracks were used and it was really impressive.

So impressive actually that she was the sole reason I decided to make the plunge into modular synthesis. Now I'm about 4 months in and I'm loving it! I got to speak with her for a couple minutes after her performance and she seemed very down to earth and wise.

I wasn't a huge fan of her latest album I'll be honest (gonna give it another try one of these days) but Ears is one of my favourites for sure. And tides is great too, lots of really amazing moments. Specifically "stunts". Her music sounds like nature to me. Seemingly random and chaotic but it all has this serenity to it like walking through a dense forest.

I would definitely see her again. Really impressive amazing artist.
yeatsvisitslincoln
bobdylan wrote:

I saw her earlier last year and it sounded exactly like the record and she was definitely "performing" it. As in I don't think many if any backing tracks were used and it was really impressive.

So impressive actually that she was the sole reason I decided to make the plunge into modular synthesis. Now I'm about 4 months in and I'm loving it! I got to speak with her for a couple minutes after her performance and she seemed very down to earth and wise.

I wasn't a huge fan of her latest album I'll be honest (gonna give it another try one of these days) but Ears is one of my favourites for sure. And tides is great too, lots of really amazing moments. Specifically "stunts". Her music sounds like nature to me. Seemingly random and chaotic but it all has this serenity to it like walking through a dense forest.

I would definitely see her again. Really impressive amazing artist.

That's a very apt description, that her music sounds like nature. I may steal that one razz She's a reason why I got into synthesis, as well. I've probably listened to the Kid more than either of the previous two since it's come out, but EARS might still be my favorite. The Kid definitely needs a few listens to unpack as I now find myself getting excited in certain songs anticipating certain sounds or melodies.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5