MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author [OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
atte
Yeah, mine was a huge operation. All modules out, screw busboards and psu out, take case apart (mine is all screws), saw the cutouts, then everything back in reverse order w00t
igowen
btw - a couple of notes from my build:

• i suggest using insulated spade terminals to connect the power inlet instead of soldering onto it directly
  • pay special attention to the orientation of the 1N4007 diodes. basically everything on the board is laid out symmetrically except for one of these (yes, i installed it backwards initially)
  • the switch that comes in the supplied power inlet feels very cheap, and in fact mine melted (!) when I was applying heat shrink tubing to its connections. i suggest swapping it out for a nicer but equivalent switch, like this one from Cherry. most equivalent switches have spade terminals that are the same size as the inlet, which makes it easier to hook up if you don't want to solder directly to the inlet.

that being said, though, this is a very cost effective kit and i bought a second one for when i build my next case thumbs up
JenniferG
That's one gorgeous power supply kit. I am very interested.

I have a question. What is a rail? -12v vs +12v on the same bus? 2 rails per bus?

Or is the second "rail" the other bus board that's connected to the other transformer's output? I see that you have two outputs from the transformer with mirrored rectifiers and dc supplies.

I'm new to electronics but have built my own linear regulated power supply and also unregulated stereo dc supply board for lm3886 chip amp.
L-1
atte measure real draw of your system. thermofuses must not turn off att 1200mA, they rated 1850mA. Make some ventilation holes because such draw needs ventilation.

JenniferG rails are +12V and -12V. yes 2 rails per bus. yes two outputs from transformer and everything on the board by two - one for +12V, second for -12V.
atte
L-1 wrote:
atte measure real draw of your system.

You meant to write igowen hihi
Metatronic Mods
I have some mixed emotions after stumbling on your L-1 system via another thread just now. I kinda wish I'd found it last year when I was researching linear bipolar power supplies. A few of my local friends got into eurorack last year and pressed me for affordable power.

My first thought was get some MFOS PSU boards like I'd used for other projects, but then I found out Ray was ill and the MFOS shop was (temporarily anyways) closed. So I looked at every other solution I could find before ultimately deciding that designing my own PSU would be the best value for my friends and I.

No doubt there's some recapitulation of your work in the design I completed (more or less) a year after. (Picture shows the first few prototypes)

On one hand I'm kind of butt-hurt that my work wasn't so novel as I thought, but on the other I suppose the similarities prove I can't be too far off in my methods & design philosophy.

So first off, bravo! Seems a solid piece of kit! And thanks for the unconscious affirmations of my own work.

Second (and this is the million dollar question) How are you doing this? I mean how do you sleep in peace; marketing a kit and pre-assembled PSU? Have you just crossed your fingers and hoped for the best? I ask because I only learned of the legal issues after investing a LOT of time working on my design. I've sold my supplies to the few local friends that initially prompted the design, but I've been afraid to do much else. I've posed the same question to other PSU designers, and I've only received dodgy answers or severe warnings in response. So what's your take?
L-1
Metatronic Mods

I'm in peace with belarussian legal issues. Don't know anything about US or australian laws.
Metatronic Mods
L-1 wrote:
Metatronic Mods

I'm in peace with belarussian legal issues. Don't know anything about US or australian laws.

but you're selling outside of Belarus aren't you?
L-1
Metatronic Mods wrote:
L-1 wrote:
Metatronic Mods

What problem?
atte
Metatronic Mods wrote:
L-1 wrote:
Metatronic Mods

Metatronic Mods, I might be over sensitive, but to me you come across quite aggresive. If that's unintented, maybe try rephrasing the question? Again, it might just be me...
Metatronic Mods
L-1 wrote:
What problem?

Aren't power supplies subject to the laws in the countries they are sold in? Not just the laws of their country of origin? There's another thread somewhere on here talking about all the regulatory bodies one must deal with in order to be legal for worldwide sale.
Metatronic Mods
atte wrote:
Metatronic Mods wrote:
L-1 wrote:
Metatronic Mods

Metatronic Mods, I might be over sensitive, but to me you come across quite aggresive. If that's unintented, maybe try rephrasing the question? Again, it might just be me...

You're mistaking enthusiasm for aggression. In talking to others who have designed their own power supplies I'm hoping to find out if there is some loophole I've overlooked. I have been met with a bit of aggression from those that seem to know the law and see selling "uninsured" power supplies as a dangerous and unnecessary risk. To the point I've held off advertising and selling mine.

It seems like many manufacturers are just willing to take the risk, but if there are any ways to mitigate liability risks short of spending $1000's on testing and certification, I'm eager to hear them.
atte
Wouldn't you question be better asked in a pm or private email than on a public forum?
Metatronic Mods
atte wrote:
Wouldn't you question be better asked in a pm or private email than on a public forum?

For what reason? If L-1 has information concerning legalities that I'm unaware of, it would be useful to others on this forum as well.

I'm in no way trying to start conflict or discredit L-1 or his work. In fact I prefaced my first reply by applauding his work. Nor do I mean to turn away prospective customers.

When I initially asked how he could sleep at night, I wasn't implying that L-1 is endangering the public. Rather, the possibility that a well designed and assembled supply could malfunction or be misused and result in a lawsuit that would bankrupt me, (regardless of how remote the possibility or confident I am in my design,) is enough of a concern that I would have a hard time living with the risk.
L-1
I sale not a PSU but a bunch of electronic parts from which is possible to build a PSU.
Also I can to build a PSU from these parts on order by private arrangement.
I see no need for that to visit all 200+ world countries and sertify it in each.
sylvain
Hi L-1,

I would be interested in a +/- 15 V version too...

Would it be possible to mod the 12 V PCB ?
EATyourGUITAR
I want to use nylon washers and wood screws for a wood case. are the PCB standoffs all M3? what height are the standoffs in the kit?
EATyourGUITAR
paypal sent for complete kit
Permette
Hello

Really nice project, congratulation L-1 !

Anyone to share a referenced BOM/Mouser cart or other ?
I haven't seen any reading this thread and looking at L-1 web site.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
L-1
Permette wrote:
Hello

Really nice project, congratulation L-1 !

Anyone to share a referenced BOM/Mouser cart or other ?
I haven't seen any reading this thread and looking at L-1 web site.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers

This is FULL kit. No need to buy anything else. All parts included.
Permette
Ok L-1, understood
sorry to ask around.
EATyourGUITAR
why did you include 1K resistors? I don't see it on the pcb
L-1
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
why did you include 1K resistors? I don't see it on the pcb

1K are for busboards, for 5V LED.
EATyourGUITAR
ok I fixed it now but can you put this information on your site or on a piece of paper with the kit? the bus boards are marked R1 R2 R3. this was the only problem I had building from the pictures.
EATyourGUITAR
some stuff I ordered to complete the build. maybe other people will find this useful.

crimping tool. I have not used it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151674300635

flux remover. I have not used it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152014314983

high temp brush in a bottle silicone conformal coating. I have not used it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142082770301

if you don't like the included power entry module you can upgrade to a shafner power entry module

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201090778275

dual 2A 250v 20mm x 5mm fuses for my shafner power entry module

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0034.3120virtualkey6 9300000virtualkey693-0034.3120

screws for shafner in wood case

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231200361776

other wood case parts for mounting the PCB's

nylon spacers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162037751057

M3 wood screws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231531218299
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7