MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Author [OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
EATyourGUITAR
for the woodscrew with a 2.5mm hex head you need this tool

www.ebay.com/itm/131917365802

blooper
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
for the woodscrew with a 2.5mm hex head you need this tool

www.ebay.com/itm/131917365802

Out of curiosity how deep is your case? How much clearance are you leaving between the modules and the transformer?

And are you going to have ventilation?
EATyourGUITAR
the case is 105mm from the wood to the back of the panel. 55mm from the transformer to the back of the panel. I don't think I will be placing deep modules close to the transformer so that is not really an issue for me. the way this case is setup, I can use a combination of anything from 105mm to skiff style modules as long as I have some 30mm ish modules near the transformer and heatsinks. I have enough power to put one troggotronic module but if I add more I can just stick the wallwart inside the case pretty easy.
blooper
Cool, reason I asked is that I'm building a case very similar to yours, 100mm deep with an L-1 PSU. You responded to another thread I started like a week ago regarding module distance from toroidal transformers. I too have some ~30mm height modules that I will be putting above the toroid.
microtonal
I've built one of these L-1 Power Supply kits and can vouch for its performance. I saw absolutely no ripple using fixed power resistors as loads. At 0.8 Amps the +12V noise voltage was 657 uV rms, approaching the noise floor of my scope. At 1.3 Amps noise voltage was 638 uVrms. This power supply is highly recommended for low noise and ripple!!!

Mechanically I do recommend one improvement. The kit came with brass standoffs, which are fine for the light weight bus board, but not for the heavy PSU board which includes the large toroidal transformer. Brass standoffs are just as soft as aluminum ones. I replaced the main PSU standoffs with stainless steel ones, which have about twice the shear strength. These were part number 36-24295-ND from Digikey, Hex Standoff M3 Stainless Steel 10mm.

One other change I made was to replace the combined power entry, fuse and power switch module with a separate power entry/fuse and power switch. This made the holes required for my aluminum backing panel smaller and less difficult to drill/cut/file out. Also, the supplied module seemed designed for a thinner sheet metal panel, as I don't believe it would grip onto the 0.125 inch thick aluminum panel.

Overall another great design from L-1.
Koryo
Did any one, should I, electrically isolate the heat sinks from the TO-220 regulator packages?
L-1
Koryo wrote:
Did any one, should I, electrically isolate the heat sinks from the TO-220 regulator packages?

No need.
microtonal
I took some better measurements today.

1.3 A fixed load on the L-1 power supply +12 VDC. 1:1 probe using spring type wire tip for ground, minimizing noise pickup. All measurements with 20 MHz BW limit.

TEK TDS2024C digital oscilloscope, it's lowest range is 2 mV/div and I see about 2 mVpp, whether shorting the signal to ground or measuring the powered L-1. I'd declare the ripple and noise as being under the noise floor of the scope.

Brought out an analog scope, TEK 2230 Digital Storage scope but using only the analog portion. Lowest range is also 2 mV/div. Shorted the probe shows a straight line, connected to the L-1 I see only a slight wavering of the signal. I'd call this a few hundred microvolts of ripple and noise. It is difficult to call it anything more precise than that.

FWIW, a top of the line Fluke 287 DMM measures up to 0.150 mV rms. Accuracy of the DMM is not specified below 1 mV rms so it's tough to judge that measurement.

Again, great job on this supply!
blitit
How do you calibrate the psu it to get 12v? I have build a lot of diy modules in the past but never a psu :S.
GryphonP3
blitit wrote:
How do you calibrate the psu it to get 12v? I have build a lot of diy modules in the past but never a psu :S.

PSUs generally use trimmers. Measure ground to + and -, trim for +/-12.00V. Easy!
ehafh
can i use a long cable to wire the busboards to the power supply?
say 2-3 feet away?

and can you chain 2 of these together?
or do they each need a their own power plug?
dujoducom
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has a mouser number or manufacturer name or link to where I might be able to find more information about the plastic connectors that connect the bus boards and the IEC connector. I bought a complete L-1 and would like to extend the bus board cables so I can mount the PSU to to the side of my case and I'd prefer to do it by building a new cable with matching connectors. Any leads would be helpful.
widgetoz
Metatronic Mods wrote:
L-1 wrote:
What problem?

Aren't power supplies subject to the laws in the countries they are sold in? Not just the laws of their country of origin? There's another thread somewhere on here talking about all the regulatory bodies one must deal with in order to be legal for worldwide sale.

Do you have a link to this thread?
Tried searching on a few words but couldn't find anything
L-1
dujoducom wrote:
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has a mouser number or manufacturer name or link to where I might be able to find more information about the plastic connectors that connect the bus boards and the IEC connector. I bought a complete L-1 and would like to extend the bus board cables so I can mount the PSU to to the side of my case and I'd prefer to do it by building a new cable with matching connectors. Any leads would be helpful.

MTA-156
L-1
I already ordered transformers, and prepairing to order boards for re-stock of the Power System.

Expect to have new stock before the New Year. Will inform here about progress.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Page 7 of 7