MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[IN STOCK] L-1 Power System.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Author [IN STOCK] L-1 Power System.
resynthesize
L-1 wrote:
resynthesize

Yes, that are thermofuses. There installed rated 2A. Try to use 2.5A ones.

thanks. ordered a couple of 2.5a thermofuses from mouser (PN: 652-MF-R250U) and installed them today. Been running for 5 hours with no issues yet, and the best part is my noise and pitch drift issues have disappeared!
L-1
resynthesize wrote:
L-1 wrote:
resynthesize

Yes, that are thermofuses. There installed rated 2A. Try to use 2.5A ones.

thanks. ordered a couple of 2.5a thermofuses from mouser (PN: 652-MF-R250U) and installed them today. Been running for 5 hours with no issues yet, and the best part is my noise and pitch drift issues have disappeared!

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Seems to these 2A ones tun off too early.
resynthesize
actually, i'm still having an issue very frustrating awhile after my last post, I noticed I was getting a subtle pitch modulation (kind of like vibrato) from my oscillators. after troubleshooting other things for awhile, I put a meter up to the power rails, and I'm reading +19v on the positive rail instead of +12v. -12v and +5v rails are reading normal. These readings are straight off of the busboard headers on the main power PCB.

What should I look at to troubleshoot?
L-1
You have out of regulation on positive rail.

At first check on shorts between regulator's legs. Clean solder joints from flux there.

If no luck, change regulator then.
resynthesize
L-1 wrote:
You have out of regulation on positive rail.

At first check on shorts between regulator's legs. Clean solder joints from flux there.

If no luck, change regulator then.

Thanks Alex.

I forgot to follow up, someone on the Synth DIY facebook group was able to pinpoint the problem after I asked for help and linked to the datasheet for the regulators:

"Page 6/16, section 4 shows what I mean. Here they are R1/R2, but they will likely have different designators on the L1 board.
If either of the pins on either of these resistors has a bad solder joint, the regulator will stop regulating, and pass the full 13.7V from the transformer. A quick RMS-peak conversion makes this 13.7(sqrt(2))=19.4V.
So double check the values are right (likely they are, or the calibration wouldn’t work), and give them a bit more solder love."

You were both right. The resistors in question are next to the thermofuse, which I swapped out for a 2.5a fuse instead earlier. I must have wicked away some solder from the resistor joint while removing the thermofuse. I touched up the joints and the supply has been rock solid for a week or so now Guinness ftw!
L-1
resynthesize

SlayerBadger! Congrats!
meta
Suppose I use the L-1 power supply without the L-1 busboards, but I still want 5V. Would it be OK to add a separate 5V power supply? Just connect its – terminal to the COM of the L-1?
L-1
meta

Two options there:

- simply is to install 5V regulator on positive rail, as I did on a busboard.

- better is to make a 5V PSU. Take AC from transformer winding which supplies negative rail. This method will not 'stole' power from positive rail which usually consumes more than negative rail.
meta
Thanks, L-1.

Would a completely separate 5V power supply work, too?
L-1
Hires photos of my last build:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Page 8 of 8