MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[IN STOCK] L-1 Power System.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 [all]
Author [IN STOCK] L-1 Power System.
Zensac
I'm currently putting the last touches on my DIY L-1 PSU. I'm really impressed by the quality.

Can someone help med explain the LM1084 regulators? I have the TI datasheet (more info than the ST), and as far as I can see, the output voltage is depending on the R1 and R2 values (multiplied by the Vref voltage of approx 1.25V). The input voltage shouldn't matter, except for heat dissipation (anything else?).

So, in principle, I should be able to use a 2x15V toriod trafo, instead of the custom made 13.7V trafo in the kit, right?

The issue I'm having, is that I get a to large output voltage (with the 15V trafo) with the stock 2K and 240 resistors (and 100ohm trimmer). I can't regulate the output to 12V (I think 13.7 was the lowest I could get).

I have tried to sub the 100 ohm trim + 2K resistor for a 500 ohm trim + 1k8 resistor, which helps to bring the output to around 12.3 (or so).

Why can't I regulate to 12V with the 2K/240/100 trim components?

Thanks
Zensac
short update: I managed to get both rails to 12.00 volt (+/-). I substituted the 2K resistore on both sides with 1k8 and swapped the 100ohm trimmers with 500ohm.

I used this toroidal:

Reichelt Toroidal 50VA 2x15V

I have been running a test with 20ohm loads (600 mA), for an hour. Load resistors get hot, but everything else is fine.
L-1
Zensac

Just unwind several winds from 15V transformer to have about 1.5V less.

Because extra voltage causes more heat dissipation at the regulators, may be overheating.
Zensac
Thanks for the reply! I will experiment with unwinding the toroid to get a lower voltage.
seank
i need two of those PSU's! are they in stock?
MARK27
Perfect Circuit usually has them in stock.
seank
yeah i saw that but they only sell the whole bundle and i’m planning on using these with the genus modu LIBB boards. i’m hoping to get two kits or built PSU’s to house in an external enclosure.
seank
does anyone have a recc for an enclosure box that would fit these? is abs cool for psu's?
EATyourGUITAR
it depends if you want RF shielding or not. ABS is pretty strong and impact resistant but like anything it depends on the thickness vs the weight you will put on it. also, I don't think it is worth RF shielding on an external power brick if the cable you wire to the case is unshielded. if you do go shielded cable, you would earth the shield to the case at the power brick side and isolate the shield at the synth case DC power entry. you would obviously earth the metal case to mains earth also. this will prevent a ground loop when you earth the synth case 0v and mains earth inside the synth case.

here is something that will fit the L-1 PSU

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/513-0900.pdf
seank
thanks! just bought two of those. the power cable i’m using is unshielded so i’m not going to worry about shielding the case unless i have noise/interference issues.
EATyourGUITAR
seank wrote:
thanks! just bought two of those. the power cable i’m using is unshielded so i’m not going to worry about shielding the case unless i have noise/interference issues.

I don't think you will have issues. it all comes down to good and super good noise floor. most people would probably not shield an external power brick since there are no modules in that enclosure. some studio equipment has really good noise floor as a result of great engineering. it all depends on your goals of noise floor and your RF environment where you live. the only person that ever had RF noise in a dinsync sara VCF was living directly under a cell phone tower. when the module went back under warranty there was no problem with it in another location.
guigui
Hi man,

I’m looking for a new power system for a small case and I would like to know if you could sell the Eurorack Power System with only one bus board. Or maybe if you could sell only the busboard.

An could tell me length, height and width of PSU and busboard? I’m planning to “hide” the PSU behind a blank panel and put the power switch on it. The PSU would be vertically oriented and the busbord, perpendicular to the PSU.
Is the busboard filtered?
Valstip
Hello! Any news on when this will be available again? L-1 order page says September but I am curious.

Currently building a 9U case and this looks really ideal. Awesome work btw, thanks L-1 ! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 [all]
Page 9 of 9