MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author [OUT OF STOCK. NEW STOCK - JANUARY 2018.] L-1 Power System.
mechie
mechie wrote:
Done! (sort of) - Paypal website playing silly buggers at the moment - refusing to let me select an address - hope message got through with payment hmmm.....

Box of bits just landed - now I have power to spare - mwhaa haaa haaa
Thanks, beautiful PCBs as always, and packed to survive even the UK customs system applause
fragletrollet
Could this be used for 15V/MOTM? Or is there another psu in the works?
sixty_n
just reporting a successful build of the psu and boards. Everything is working correctly and it seems rock solid. Thanks a lot L-1!
L-1
sixty_n wrote:
just reporting a successful build of the psu and boards. Everything is working correctly and it seems rock solid. Thanks a lot L-1!

Glad to read this! applause

i'm currently assembling a bunch of the power Systems for MDR Modular (Moscow) https://www.facebook.com/mdr.modular
L-1
fragletrollet wrote:
Could this be used for 15V/MOTM? Or is there another psu in the works?

That is theoretically possible but another transformer is needed.
I used custom made 13.7V transformer to minimize heat.
These heatsinks may be too smal for standart 18V transformer to have 15V out.
L-1
230 - 115V jumpers

230V:

115V:

L-1
Drill map.

http://l-1.su/images/power/L_1_Power_drill_map.cdr

http://l-1.su/images/power/L_1_Power_drill_map.ai

http://l-1.su/images/power/L_1_Power_drill_map.png
Dima-D
"L-1 power" in the interior )
L-1
Transformer connections:

Kirr
Can it be configured for 100V input voltage? (Or is it possible to otherwise get a 100V version?)

Does the transformer hum audibly?
L-1
Kirr wrote:
Can it be configured for 100V input voltage? (Or is it possible to otherwise get a 100V version?)

Does the transformer hum audibly?

Transformer will hum only if you overload it. More than 2.2A per rail. But there are 1.85A thermofuses which not allow this.

I'm affraid 100V will be not enough for this transformer to have enough voltage at the out.

Maybe standart 115V in 15V out transformer can give 13.7V at the out from 100V input. But I didn't checked this.
Kirr
Thank you for reply, L-1. Pity about 100V, as this PSU looks great otherwise.
L-1
Just replaced Doepfer power with L-1. Now I have:

- more Ampers
- 5V rail powered
- shrouded headers
- looks nicer!

atte
I'm interrested in this!

Are they still in stock?

How many modules can be connected to one bus board? Can I use doepfer busboards with it (I have two doepfer busboards already, and if I later need busboards and you stopped supply, other options would be good)?
L-1
atte wrote:
I'm interrested in this!

Are they still in stock?

How many modules can be connected to one bus board? Can I use doepfer busboards with it (I have two doepfer busboards already, and if I later need busboards and you stopped supply, other options would be good)?

Yes in stock. Have full kits and assembled.

How many modules depend on their power consumption. I would not recommend more than 1.5A per rail. 1.85A thermofuses on the PSU. Transformer is rated 2.2A.
Usually 2-3 busses.

The PSU has possibility to instal different types of connectors to connect busses. Doepfer type spades are possible too.
But I complete kits with MTA-156 connectors.

No, I never will stop supply! SlayerBadger!
atte
L-1 wrote:

How many modules depend on their power consumption. I would not recommend more than 1.5A per rail. 1.85A thermofuses on the PSU. Transformer is rated 2.2A.
Usually 2-3 busses.

I was referring to the number of physical connections on each bus board, how many actual connections for power cables are on each busboards?

A bit confused about those numbers, though. Recomended 1.5A is easy to grasp. Still does that mean I should not do the usual math of only going 80% of max, taking 1.5A as max? 1.5A is around 80% of 1.8A, so is that the 80% safe margin taken care of there, meaning I should happily go to 1.5A?

What happens if I go over 1.8A (not that I plan to), would I just blow a fuse, and if so would that be something I can easily replace myself. What should I make of the 2.2A of the transformer, especially if the fuses will stop me at 1.8A?

L-1 wrote:

The PSU has possibility to instal different types of connectors to connect busses. Doepfer type spades are possible too.

Nice! Would I need a special cable to connect my old doepfer bus boards?

EDIT:
Additional question:
Supposed I get four busboards (and watch my power usage), how do they attach to the PSU? Do they daisy chain or are there four connectors available on the PSU?
L-1
12 connectors per bus. Also there are 2 spare places (horizontally).

If you go over 1.85A, then thermofuses will turn off the circuit. It may happens earlier if bad ventillation or hot surrounding.

Install spades and use Doepfer cable.
(I don't install spades on assembled by me PSUs because don't have them).

Two busses can be connected direct to PSU, other chain to busses.
atte
Thanks for the replies! One (hopefully last) question:

L-1 wrote:
If you go over 1.85A, then thermofuses will turn off the circuit.

So will they blow (so I have to replace them) or simple turn off the curcuit and be ready for me again, if I turn things off and let them cool?

I realize it's not supposed to happen, and I'm not planning on pushing things, would just like to know what to expect!
L-1
No they don't blow, they start to work when temperature decreases.
Thermofuses contain special polymer inside which conducts when solid but when it melts, it stop to conduct, and start again when harden.
atte
Amazing! Thanks for the reply! I just found my new PSU!

You got mail w00t
L-1
atte wrote:
Amazing! Thanks for the reply! I just found my new PSU!

You got mail w00t

Good choice thumbs up
atte
Is there a build manual available somewhere?
L-1
atte wrote:
Is there a build manual available somewhere?

There are high voltage and possible big current. Therefore no manual for beginners. It's for builders which have some experience.

How to connect transformer and jumpers - look a bit above. Other parts are clearly marked on the boards. Also I posted many photos how everything must be.

I can only add few tricks - how I make in my builds:

1. Clean boards from flux especially between regulators pin . It's obligatory because board can be pretty hot at big load, and flux can burn and become conductive.

2. Isolate high voltages. I use insulation tape, then warm with hot air, then make second layer, then third.

3. Place washers between heatsinks and board.

atte
Thanks!

Looked at it briefly, seems pretty straight-forward, I'll ask if in doubt w00t
PK808370
These look great! I can't wait for my pair of them to arrive smile I'll be replacing one Doepfer kit and using the second to power my L-1 Vocoder and some other items. For me, this is ideal because the line voltage comes to the case, so I don't have to carry an external brick to play out. Both of these are going in my 12u carry case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 4 of 7