MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bi-N-Tic Build Options
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Bi-N-Tic Build Options
Adam-V
I'm in the process of building a Bi-N-Tic and I'm keen to find out if anyone here who has built or used one that has the sub oscillator feedback option found it to be useful. I would also like to hear from anyone about the usefulness of bringing the sub oscillators out to the front panel.

I'm trying to nail own the options in order to finalise my panel design so any feedback (hah!) would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam-V
pugix
Here's mine:

http://pugix.com/synth/cgs-bi-n-tic-filter/

Dave Brown's is like mine, since we worked on the panel together:

http://modularsynthesis.com/cgs/bi-n-tic/bi-n-tic.htm

Bridechamber's is a little different:

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/C_Bintic.html
Adam-V
Thanks Richard.

Sounds like the inclusion of the sub osc feedback switch is definitely worth while. Ken's no longer selling the CGS56 pulse buffer boards so if I want to bring the sub oscillators out to the front panel, I'll have to knock up the pulse buffer circuit (your pulse buffer circuit I notice) on bread board.

Cheers,
Adam-V.
DGTom
Feedback switch really is worthwhile, I couldn't imagine it without it.

I have the Metalbox version;

http://www.metalbox.com/modules/bintic.html

which also has an external input on the feedback switch, this is great. I use it alot with the Plague Bearer for some really OTT feedback, right now its patched into the Grinder section of the Wave Multiplier for some sequenced noise woah

Looking at Richard & Dave Browns builds I'm wishing there was a little space on the panel to squeeze a few buffered sub-outs in hmmm.....
Adam-V
I find that the metalbox layouts don't use the available space as efficiently as I would. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or even criticising their work, I think they offer a great service to those amongst us that aren't quite so handy with an iron, I just prefer a bit more functional density out of my panels.

My 3 frac width panel design for this as it currently stands allows for switching of the sub oscs into the feedback path and bringing them out to the front panel. It also has a bit of a twist as far as the sub osc switch goes...

Cheers,
Adam-V
DGTom
um yeah, the wierd serge spaced knobs + MOTM under & over layouts can be a pain, but, I cram alot into my 1FW panels & combined with stacked bananas its kind of nice to have abit of finger space at times.

I only brought it up to mention the Ext. (in 2) in the feedback which I find really usefull thumbs up
Adam-V
Oh I'll be adding the external input too!.

I didn't mean the previous post to sound like a bagging of metalbox, it was more a general comment in response to your wishing for room on the panel for the sub osc outs. I really, really want one of their 8008 bass drum modules (as if my neighbours needed anything else to complain about!).

Cheers,
Adam-V
MindMachine
I have a Bridechamber Bi-N-Tic (.com style). I use the Sub Osc feedback in about half of it's patches. Absolutely incorporate that option. Good luck with your project.
Adam-V
Thank you. I'm pretty much decided on incorporating said options into the build. Just have to finalise the panel layout and wait for the parts to roll in.

Cheers,
Adam-V
fonik
here you'll find my frontpanel design:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page31.html

you might take a look into the CGS yahoo group as well, if you did not already. someone added voltage control to the damp parameter. i think this is be a great mod.
pugix
fonik wrote:
here you'll find my frontpanel design:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page31.html

you might take a look into the CGS yahoo group as well, if you did not already. someone added voltage control to the damp parameter. i think this is be a great mod.

I second that idea. VC for Damping would be pretty easy. This small Bridechamber PC board could be used.

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/VC_Res_PCB.html
Adam-V
That's an excellent suggestion, thanks guys. I'm not sure if I can squeeze it into my Frac panel though.

Cheers,
Adam-V
DGTom
Adam-V wrote:
Oh I'll be adding the external input too!.

thumbs up This is something I've only really been digging into recentally. Right now, with the grinder in the loop, by sweeping the Frequency pot the output is going from bit crushing-esque at full CCW, to tweaky on the verge of oscillating VCF as you go CW MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Adam-V wrote:
I didn't mean the previous post to sound like a bagging of metalbox, it was more a general comment in response to your wishing for room on the panel for the sub osc outs.

Sorry, I thought maybe you thought I was suggesting that layout, I'm really eager to see what you've done with it, all those super dense layouts you've been posting are fantastic!

Adam-V wrote:
I really, really want one of their 8008 bass drum modules (as if my neighbours needed anything else to complain about!).

Do it!! The 8008 makes a great partner for the Bi-N-Tic, maybe its just me, but, the two really compliment one another. They make a huge sound together grin
Adam-V
Thank you!

The 8008 is definitely on my shopping list (Just ordered a DAD and PSU from Blacet so it will have to wait a bit).

I've got panels for a Slope Detector, Analogue Logic and Dual ASR on order at FPE as we speak and panels for the Bi-N-Tic, MMM 4xGD and Thomas Henry UD-1 near completion on the drawing board so there'll be plent of eye candy in the not too distant future.

Cheers,
Adam-V.
pugix
First: What's an 8008?

Second: Patch idea for Bi-N-Tic. Use externally patched feedback. Take the output through another filter, phaser, whatever, and mix that back into the input.
Adam-V
An excellent patch idea Richard.

I quite frequently use the feeback path on the Doepfer extreme filter for similar things. Sounds great with a wave multiplier.

The 8008 is the Metalbox Bass Drum module:

Cheers,
Adam-V
Adam-V
Something that has just occurred to me - if the sub oscs have been brought out to the front panel, doesn't this negate the need for the feedback switch? I would have thought you could achieve the same functionality by patching the appropriate sub osc output back to the ext. input. Am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Adam-V
pugix
In short, you're right. You would not need the switch if you added a jack for the second input. You would want the SUB feedback to mix with the input.

On mine the SUB selector switch picks an octave to feed the SUB pot, which goes to the second input on the board and mixes with the main input. If there was more panel room, you could put a jack for the second input, with the jack normalled from the SUB pot. Or in the same panel space you could replace the SUB selector switch with this jack and patch the sub outputs over. That would give you a way to patch external feedback without an external mixer, too.
Adam-V
Thanks Richard, that's exactly what I thought. I might just be able to squeeze voltage controlled for damping on to the panel if the switch is omitted. But then if I had my way, everything would be voltage controlled and the panel would end up being 19" wide!

Cheers,
Adam-V
dude
i just started stuffing a cgs board for one of these rev 1.3. reading this thread has me super excited but also scared. i need to read more. does anybody know what options can be easily or natively added to the cgs board versus what would need a daudghterboard?
Adam-V
Bringing the sub oscillators out to the front panel would require an extra board.

Adding the sub oscillator feedback option (I think the bridechamber panel calls this "Excite") usually* just requires a rotary switch and a pot (from memory) and adds an extra level of sonic manglery.

*I say usually as I did it slightly differently with individual on/off switches for each of the sub oscillators.

Cheers,
Adam-V
dude
would having the cgs board versus the bridechamber board make any potential difference?
also i am going blind tryin to find the placement of the third 100pf ceramic disc capacitor
as well as where the hell the last two 100k resistors go. it lists 3 for the disc and i only see two and it lists 13 for the 100k resistors but i only see 11 used.

help
dude
i am now realizing the parts list up on the site differs from what the board revision i have seems to call for. for instance:
2x 8k2 resistors on the board but not mentioned anywhere else. confusing for dumbasses such as myself. maye those two 8k2's have something to do with the two extra 100k's?
Adam-V
I don't think there is much difference between the two but I have not seen the bridechamber one so it is only a guess.

Cheers,
Adam-V
dude
rev 1.3 board differs from the ones pictured on the cgs site. a couple different parts called for in the silkscreen.

330R
and two 8k2
those are nowhere on the parts list.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3