MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Author Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit
reodjectz
Comboy wrote:
reodjectz wrote:
I like the look of this module. Could one of the people who picked it chime in on the panel quality? Is it hand made (like the befaco ones, I hope not) or nice and cleanly manufactured?

The panels are quality aluminum panels with sub anodized (is this the right term?)printing.
Similar to the Mutable panels.

Scratch and solvent proof.
I had to get samples from 5 companies until I found one with good quality wink

Great to hear. I have my order in. BTW what other DIY Kits are in the works for eurorack?
Comboy
none at the moment.
But that doesn't mean there won't be any more wink
sammy123
Hi Comboy, do you have an ETA on panel/pcb or panel/pcb/chip sets being available? Thank you.
Comboy
over the next few days.
I first have to finish the BOM so you know which parts to get wink
spend the last days preparing a new LXR maiboard production since I noticed I'm running low on mainmborads wink
ClausF
Build without problems, great manual, great module!
Javier
Hi! I am going to adapt the Penrose Quantizer to my modular which uses banana cables. In order to do that I need to make my own panels, please where can I get the pdf to print the design and make the transfer to my panels? Is it going to be available? Then I'll be able to drill the holes in the exact place.
Comboy
here you go
http://www.sonic-potions.com/public/Penrose/PenrosePanelLayout.pdf

I'll prepare a GitHub repo over the next days with all the Layout and source code files, too.
xerxl
Since we're on the topic of modifying...
My diy skills are a bit rudimentary. Would it be reasonably easy to get it to run on +/- 15V?
Looks really nice Comboy!

Cheers
Comboy
shouldn't need much modifications.
+/- 12V are only used for the TL072 opamp that buffers the CV IO.
Those work nice up until +/- 18V

Maybe a bigger 5V regulator would be needed as at the moment it is using a 78L05 regulator:

which might get a little hot if it has to dissipate another 3V.

so maybe using a normal 7805 regulator, eventually with a heatsing would be better for 15V.
fuzzbass
My kit just arrived today. Great swag! Can't wait to build it.
fuzzbass
Someone was talking about transpose. Queue my little Arturia Beatstep, which has CV out. In "pads" mode, you can map the pads to notes, and corresponding voltages come out. If you have a unity gain 2 channel mixer (like say the little mixers on Manhattan Analog Manual Voltage Processor), you can use the Beatstep pads to transpose your quantized CV. Its a little more musically intelligible if you transpose before you quantize.
Javier
Thank you Comboy!!

By the way, my kit has just arrived!

Nice bottle!! Great juicy Camel Balls!! The panel looks really good, smooth and nice. Now I want to use it and I will try to make the holes bigger to fit the banana sockets.

Just one last question.... since I am not going to use the 4 audio jacks, please could you show me which lug carries the signal for each audio jack? Then I will make the connection to my banana sockets from there.
Comboy
Here is a picture showing the signals on the PCB.
Please note that the left and right jacks have a different orientation.

Blue: signals
Pink: GND
Yellow: Cable detect contact

The yellow marked lug could be a problem with banana. sad banana
It uses a contact on the 3.5mm jack to detect if a cable is inserted.
If no cable is in the jack, the lug has no contact and is pulled high by a pullup on the uC.
If a cable is present it has contact to GND and the signal is low.
This switches between free running and triggered operation.
Dogma
im looking for a quantizer and Ive narrowed it down to this and the Ustep. Can someone tell me major plus and minus of the 2? Im sure Im not the only one asking this question.
Javier
Thanks for the detailed info Comboy!

Ooops, all right, I will use the audio jack for the trigger input, this is also ok as I have a banana to audio jack converter module. I hope everything works fine!
Captain77
I think I'll purchase one too. very soon...
oscarthesquirrel
Got my kit a few weeks ago and got around to building it a few days back. Fairly straightforward build, although a little tight in some places (my chisel tip probably should have been swapped ar some points for a...err pointy tip).

I actually spent more time getting the panel to fit than anything. It really is vital to get the switch pots absolutely flush and the jack pots level. I found that the jack pots were slightly lower than the switches, meaning a slight downward gradient on the panel and 3 sticky (i.e. catching) note switches. A bit of bodging and repositioning later and everything is fine.

Calibration took a while - but I'm a noob when it comes to these things,and I eventually got there...but its working great and is wonderfully easy to use on the fly.

Camel Balls and bottle were a a nice bonus :-)
FetidEye
Dogma wrote:
im looking for a quantizer and Ive narrowed it down to this and the Uscale. Can someone tell me major plus and minus of the 2? Im sure Im not the only one asking this question.

penrose:
you can DIY this, for me this is a very good plus.
no menu's / hidden functions
clear interface, very playable

Uscale:
way more functions
less hp?
woodster
I think it's a fantastic quantiser, most definitely the best DIY one available!.
A few people I know seemed a little apprehensive regarding the 8bit chip (and hence the resolution).
However, once they've tried it, they have all been bowled over by the accuracy and sheer wigglability of it nanners
adnauseam
I'm really enjoying my Penrose quantizers.

I like changing the active notes as I wiggle.

I was dreaming the other day of a 2hp expander module with user writeable/selectable scales!

Then you could make chord progressions with the touch of a button.

Tuning it can be a bit finicky I find. I did mine by ear and recently tuned them again - this time I tuned both to the Quantized voltages of my Rene.

Great little design!
oscarthesquirrel
adnauseam wrote:

Tuning it can be a bit finicky I find. I did mine by ear and recently tuned them again - this time I tuned both to the Quantized voltages of my Rene.

Great little design!

I'm really glad I upgraded my multimeter and could measure frequency.....

The module is great for arpeggios..just feed a triangle wave into it via an attenuator to control octave range....and then adjust on the fly...

Excellent panel and interface design too
bookends
Anyone have an idea of approximate build time on this? (I know that depends on skill level but...)
oscarthesquirrel
bookends wrote:
Anyone have an idea of approximate build time on this? (I know that depends on skill level but...)

Took me about 3-4 hours , going slowly and carefully, with the odd tea break. Most time was spent in getting the panel flush and ensuring the buttons weren't sticking/catching.
mDang
I just order 3 of it ! 1 for me and others for friends wink
bookends
Built mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to power it up yet but really enjoyed the build.

I soldered 1 pin each on the switches to hold them down and then finished soldering them once I had the panel on. Didn't have much of a problem with that. My clearance on the electrolytic caps is pretty tight so I might try to insulate them some with nail polish or silicon gel or something. Anyway looking forward to using this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Page 2 of 19