MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moon Modular 553 Midi to Clock Module question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moon Modular 553 Midi to Clock Module question
alternating.bit
I see that the Moon Modular 553 Midi to Clock Module has what appears to be both a clock out (1/16) and a variable clock out which you select with the selector switch. What I'm wondering is if it can feed BOTH out at the same time? Or is it only capable of one of those outputs to be used at a time?

My objective is to be able to have two different clock rates (same tempo but divisible) for my two symple sequencers in my portable modbox. So one would be receiving a standard 1/16 tempo from my drum machine via MIDI, and the other sequencer could have the tempo cut into respective fractions based on the same tempo the other is receiving.

Does that sound correct?

ach_gott
Yes, that's correct.

If you get one, be sure to test it thoroughly. My START jack has a short somewhere in its wiring and it also gets the 1/16. I also found that the pulses needed to be amplified to drive my RCD/SCM. Ultimately, I stopped using it.

Now it just sits in the rack... taunting me. lol
JohnLRice
ach_gott wrote:
Yes, that's correct.
thumbs up
alternating.bit
ach_gott wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

If you get one, be sure to test it thoroughly. My START jack has a short somewhere in its wiring and it also gets the 1/16. I also found that the pulses needed to be amplified to drive my RCD/SCM. Ultimately, I stopped using it.

Now it just sits in the rack... taunting me. lol

Thanks for the caution. I had a faulty Moon 563 trigger sequencer and had to ship it back overseas for them to fix it. Though it was a hassle, they were very cooperative and understanding. Can you please clarify what you meant by "it also gets the 1/16"? What "gets it," you mean the short in the wiring? Also, what's a "RCD/SCM"? Thanks
ach_gott
alternating.bit wrote:
Can you please clarify what you meant by "it also gets the 1/16"? What "gets it," you mean the short in the wiring? Also, what's a "RCD/SCM"? Thanks

Exactly, so the fixed 1/16 is running out of the 'Start' jack meaning I couldn't use it to reset sequencers, etc.

RCD/SCM is a 4ms module that Analogue Craftsman did a short run of 5U adaptations for last year. It's basically a clock divider/multiplier with shuffle and some other features. I'd link to a video but I think my laptop is badly in need of a reboot as it's not cooperating.
alternating.bit
Ok, thanks. Well I've decided to risk it. Nice that I got to order it from Noisebug in the US at least.
Squattamolie
I've bought two of them from Noisebug - great modules - love 'em!
alternating.bit
Got the Moon 553 yesterday. Works just great.
It's so awesome to be able to have both of my mini sequencers running on the same clock, but divisible. Plus offering a simple MIDI interface for live performance, not requiring any external converters. Sweet.

ach_gott
Glad you're enjoying! thumbs up

Clock divisions can be so much fun. Throw on some gate delays for some syncopation and make some serious grooves.
kindredlost
I use mine all the time for several duties. The START/STOP outputs are always set up for reset on the various sequencers, dividers etc..

I initially bought the 553 so I could convert midi to dinsync (sync24) by using the 1/96th division as clock and the START out as run for the Time Buffer from STG Soundlabs. The TB has 1/4" jacks which Eric added. a 24 ppq is actually 1/96th notes. What is fun is to switch the divisions on the 553 and get very slow timings out of the STG Time Suite.

Another nice thing about the 553 is it has a midi channel selector setting. I can have it do separate clock timings from my DAW and other midi interfaces do different ones (like the Q104). It also can be useful for sending gate info in ranges set on your keyboard. You can use a DAW to set up ON/OFF functions on a midi channel which controls a VCA or something like that. Very handy for transpose or Switch style functions.

One of my favorite modules from Moon.
alternating.bit
Cool ideas! Though much of what kindredlost suggested either went over my head, or just won't matter since I'm not using a DAW for control, nor do I need to do any MIDI channel changing. I'm using it simply to be in sync with other gear, and to have the ability to clock split. But the START/STOP feature I'll have to explore later for sure... especially when integrating with my larger modular system.

ach_gott wrote:
Glad you're enjoying! Clock divisions can be so much fun. Throw on some gate delays for some syncopation and make some serious grooves.

Would you mind explaining a bit in more detail what you mean?
Do you mean use the clock OUT into an EG or a specific module that does a gate delay? Thanks
NYMo
Nice video alt.bit.
Love the product placement !

Cheers
ear ear
alternating.bit wrote:
Would you mind explaining a bit in more detail what you mean? Do you mean use the clock OUT into an EG or a specific module that does a gate delay? Thanks

Moon do a quad gate delay. Serge DUSG-type modules can also be gate delays.
EMwhite
Dumb question time; are all of the clock divisions available simultaneously to the rotary switch or does the micro controller read the rotary switch and then change the timing of the single, but variable output?

(e.g. is it possible to rewire it and drill two or four more 1/4" jacks on the front and wire up fixed outputs at a given rate.

I'm a STG sequencer buff also and like the looks of the Time Divider but this module is compelling in a different way. Anybody have a good picture of the circuit board?
JohnLRice
EMwhite wrote:
Dumb question time; are all of the clock divisions available simultaneously to the rotary switch or does the micro controller read the rotary switch and then change the timing of the single, but variable output?

(e.g. is it possible to rewire it and drill two or four more 1/4" jacks on the front and wire up fixed outputs at a given rate.

I'm a STG sequencer buff also and like the looks of the Time Divider but this module is compelling in a different way. Anybody have a good picture of the circuit board?
I'm guessing but it probably reads the rotary switch and then changes the timing of the variable output. (I'm assuming a similar design like the Octal Clock Divider)
ach_gott
John is correct.

I can't really get a good shot of the board since the components are all mounted facing the PCB, but the traces from the rotary all run to the PIC and there's output from the PIC to the Var Clock jack.
EMwhite
That settles it, thank you for the feedback.
Squattamolie
alternating.bit wrote:
But the START/STOP feature I'll have to explore later for sure... especially when integrating with my larger modular system.

I'm generally not using a DAW myself, but I find the Start and Stop outputs essentially indispensable. I'm using an old TR707 that sends MIDI clock to the 553 (and DIN to the STG modules), with a footswitch plugged into the TR707 start/stop jack. When I hit the switch, the 553 "Start" out sends a pulse that (multed) resets two trigger sequencers and can also set a pair of Q960s to stage 1 (the STG time Modules don't need any of that, they just do it automatically - I love it!). Then I've got the "Stop" out on the 553 often pushing the Q960s to stage 9, whenever I hit the footswitch to stop the whole rig.

If you're using sequencers, I suspect that once you start messing with the start/stop outs on the 553, you'll like it.
kindredlost
Interesting Squattamolie.

I use the STOP out to set step 9 of the Q960's for a reset. That way it is ready when the clock starts it from wherever I derive it within the modular. I'm not bound to the 553 for a hard clock to the Q960's, but I can use dividers or even drum machines or other sequencers like the Mobius..

Here is a way to use the 553 to control drones or anything you want to mute after the midi stream into the 553 stops. Essentially use the Q962 or the Moon 564 Quad Sequential Switch to turn the 553 trigger into a continuous gate for VCA's or other Switches. Be sure to use the INPUT jacks and not the SHIFT jack.
mfirman
Just another data point.
I ordered (from Noisebug - I'm in the US) the M553
and received it yesterday. Checked it all out and it
works flawlessly. It's built well and integrates (fits,
connects, interacts, etc.) seamlessly in my DotCom
system. It's my first Moon Modular module and I would
have no problem getting other modules by them (particularly
since Noisebug distributes them here in the US -
hence no import problems, taxes, etc.).
steffengrondahl
Bump! Bumping this thread as I don't want to start another with just a simple question:

Does the 553 only create clock pulses when it has received a MIDI start signal? I just tried to drive it from the MIDI out from my OB-6 (sat to MIDI clock out and using MIDI not usb). The lower led on the 553 flashes so it seems like it receives MIDI. But no output from the 1/16 clock out, nor from the variable clock out. The leds indicating these are working are just dark. And if I try to trigger an envelope with one of the clocks outs, noting happens, so there are definitively are no analog clock/pulse.

As far as I can see, there is no way of producing MIDI start and stop messages with the OB-6 and I have no other MIDI clock producing gear (well got some software, but have no USB to MIDI device at the moment - will buy tomorrow).

The Note on outputs works perfect btw.
JohnLRice
steffengrondahl wrote:
Does the 553 only create clock pulses when it has received a MIDI start signal?
Yes, it needs a MIDI 'start' message to get going. I just tried it with a TR505 drum machine and if I plugged the MIDI cable in after the TR505 has started the 553 wouldn't output any clocks.

It was interesting though that if I have them both connected together correctly then started the drum machine and the 553 started outputting clocks . . . if I then unplugged the MIDI cable the 553 would stop of course but if I plugged the MIDI cable back in after a few seconds the 553 would resume outputting clocks.

So when you start/stop the OB-6 sequencer from the front panel it doesn't affect the 553? hmmm..... Have you tried using a foot switch in the start/stop jack to see if it makes a difference? I really don't know why it would make a difference but can't hurt to try? I don't have an OB-6 so I'm just guessing! oops
steffengrondahl
Thank you JLR thumbs up

As far as I know the OB-6 sends MIDI clock continously and is unable to send MIDI start and stop messages. Probably because MIDI clock is not only used for its appegiator and sequencer but also (optional) for syncing the LFO and delay effects. At least I remember so, but will look it up again.
alternating.bit
Since this thread has been dug up I thought I'd add that I've actually experienced the issue ach gott pointed out early in the thread; often I have to do sort of a re-trigger clock source to engage the Moon 553. Sort of like a drawstring engine start on an old lawnmower. Sometimes I'll hit play on a drum machine to trigger the module via MIDI and nothing happens... then I'll hit stop/play a couple times and then it kicks in. Perhaps it does need the suggested amplified signal boost. Either way I see it more as a minor nuisance, not enough to make me want to get rid of the module.
BTG
I'm running into the issue some mentioned earlier -- MIDI activity light, but nothing coming out of the the clock jacks. They won't trigger my Moon envelopes (as a test) or my R24 clock in (5V). Even with start/stop coming from my Cirklon.

Any suggestions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2