MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline
VanEck
New 303 clone announced at NAMM but kind of fell under the radar. Aside from a small thread on gearslutz and a brief demo shared by Basseck on instagram, not too much insight available just yet. Looks and sounds promising so far though, even with the limited media out there right now. The interchangeable filter cartridges definitely has my attention.

• The avalon bassline synth is an analog monosynth based on the TB-303. It combines a 100% mirror of TB-303 RevD mainboard together with a panel board containing additional analog and digital circuitry.
  • Uses all original spec parts of the original TB-303 (transistors, caps, IC's, diodes, transformer, etc..) together with a BA6110 VCA with current gain calibrated to match the original BA662.
  • Fully backwards compatible with the original TB-303 (actually works with an original TB-303 CPU).
  • Sub oscillator has saw, sqr, and tri both -1 and -2 oct.
  • The cartridge slot is for filter carts which can be hot-swapped and used in place of the internal TB-303 filter.
  • Additional analog controls include sub/ext level control, filter tracking, accent decay, vca decay (goes full off), AD utility envelope with bi-polar modulation of the VCA and VCF.
  • I/O on back includes CV & Gate In/Out, accent sweep cv out (amplified and normalized to 0-5V), filter cv input. Audio out consists of saw and sqr out (+/-5V), external input, and vca & filter outputs.
  • Sequencer control has TB-303 pitch/time modes as well as a new realtime mode making use of the the step led switches (yes those are switches). Too many features to list - browse the panel to get an idea. patterns can be 64 steps in length with numerous time signature options. There are 448 internal patterns and 56 tracks. These can also be saved and loaded via sysex.
  • Sync modes are internal, MIDI and DIN, and it outputs both MIDI and DIN Sync. Also has USB-MIDI, and synth can be played externally.
  • Extremely high build quality including custom pots, german key switches, and 4-piece steel enclosure.
computer controlled
Gotta have!
Paranormal Patroler
Looks great. Thanks for posting! I would've missed this.
Xmit
yep - I'm currently acidless at the mo' ( apart from the much-better-than-it-should-be-at-that-price-Monotribe hihi ) so this is deffo on my radar.

There are a couple of really short vids now on Matrixsynth too.
RustyO
Interesting / interested. In black thanks.
CF3
Saw this a few days back and it looks awesome. Build quality looks really nice. Lots of CV. Swappable filters! I'm afraid to know the price. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Comboy
MATSmile
What's wrong with audio quality in this video. Sounds like resonance went to smoke outside and never came back angry
VanEck
MATSmile wrote:
What's wrong with audio quality in this video. Sounds like resonance went to smoke outside and never came back angry

Sounds like plenty of 303 resonance to me... it's just not being overdriven.

I wonder if this will have any overdrive features onboard. I'm going to bet that's what some of the different cartridges are for... different filter circuits, some hopefully with overdriven qualities for meaner shades of acid.
darenager
Sounds nice, and good to hear it NOT over driven, I got kind of bored of that sound back in the 90's TBH, classic acid all the way or go home hihi
MATSmile
No, acid house for luuzers, gabber all the way, first you Guinness ftw! then you zombie and then you Dead Banana
darenager
Ave it! hihi
mckenic
Like the look and build quality (Im assuming here).
I think I read on matrix under $1000... hopefully well under cause this is interesting!
pre55ure
Hmmm, my moment to be all wet blankety, but it just sort of seems to be the exact same concept as the 777, and while the 777 might not be a *perfect* 303 emulation, the "not" 303ness of the 777 seems like it has a lot more range to it than this.

(hides)

Full disclosure: I own a 777 and it's one of my favorite synths ever- so I suppose that means I'm biased.
VanEck
pre55ure wrote:
Hmmm, my moment to be all wet blankety, but it just sort of seems to be the exact same concept as the 777, and while the 777 might not be a *perfect* 303 emulation, the "not" 303ness of the 777 seems like it has a lot more range to it than this.

(hides)

Full disclosure: I own a 777 and it's one of my favorite synths ever- so I suppose that means I'm biased.

I'd say you are on the money. In fact the 777 is what came to mind when I was first looking into this. I have been on the fence about 777 for a while now, but I don't have much use for "keys", and the price on them have gone sky high. I've been hoping for a "next best thing" as an alternative, and I feel like this might fit that.
computer controlled
The 777 is far too expensive. This seems to have more CV options as well. And hot swappable filter carts are cool as well.
Klaus
Used to own a 777. And I must say this unit seems a lot different, more of an actual 303 clone than the Future Retro IMO.

777 has the whole FM/Jeff Mills thing going, and from my perspective never really excelled in sounding like a 303.

That being said I'm not completely convinced by the Avalon. It def seems interesting but soundwise it seems to be lacking a little. I suspect it's just the video sound quality thou. Personally I would have loved an LFO instead of the exchangeable filter card (hides) But that's because I would be using it a lot live and the ability to LFO modulate the filter for slow Plastikman sweeps would be awesome
Xmit
^
yeah - I hear you. But it has got a CV input for the filter...so if you've got a spare LFO-out to hand from another bit of gear SlayerBadger!
revtor
Regarding 777 vs Avalon CV ins/outs they're pretty much tied, the Avalon has the waveform (osc) outputs, but the 777 has accent in and out. So depending on what you want to do with it CV-wise you could choose either. With the cv out from the machine and an osc from the modular I don't think having the VCO outs is a make or break. Accent in/out lends itself to a bit more interesting patching IMO. Where the 777 shines (of course) is going beyond 303 - 30 knobs tied directly to the synth. FM madness, especially when the CV's are engaged.

So yeah this Avalon is a 303 clone (Down to the components apparently) Where the 777 is its own thing, that can also do a passable 303.

At the sight of yet another 303 clone, I'm all yawn.. But still GASing!
h4ndcrafted
darenager wrote:
Sounds nice, and good to hear it NOT over driven, I got kind of bored of that sound back in the 90's TBH, classic acid all the way or go home hihi

I second that e-motion...
Luap
Im not sure the world needed yet another 303 clone.. seriously, i just don't get it

That said, I only just found out that Abstract Instruments = Brian Castro.
He is quite the wizard with original 303's and x0xb0xes. Some of you may remember him as being the guy behind the souped up x0xb0xes, the x0xi0.

Meaning, this machine is sure to be good! 8_)
computer controlled
The last x0xb0x i built was an x0xi0. Man, what a PITA that was =o]
MATSmile
Sound fixed to mono
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWHFrx-ZLtM
I will jus leave this link here, I forgot how to attach videos srry
MATSmile
SlayerBadger!
revtor
New Vid released by the man Brian Castro. Another to follow soon with more techie specs etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3SzyhPlYINw

~Steve
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14