MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline
VanEck
New 303 clone announced at NAMM but kind of fell under the radar. Aside from a small thread on gearslutz and a brief demo shared by Basseck on instagram, not too much insight available just yet. Looks and sounds promising so far though, even with the limited media out there right now. The interchangeable filter cartridges definitely has my attention.

• The avalon bassline synth is an analog monosynth based on the TB-303. It combines a 100% mirror of TB-303 RevD mainboard together with a panel board containing additional analog and digital circuitry.
  • Uses all original spec parts of the original TB-303 (transistors, caps, IC's, diodes, transformer, etc..) together with a BA6110 VCA with current gain calibrated to match the original BA662.
  • Fully backwards compatible with the original TB-303 (actually works with an original TB-303 CPU).
  • Sub oscillator has saw, sqr, and tri both -1 and -2 oct.
  • The cartridge slot is for filter carts which can be hot-swapped and used in place of the internal TB-303 filter.
  • Additional analog controls include sub/ext level control, filter tracking, accent decay, vca decay (goes full off), AD utility envelope with bi-polar modulation of the VCA and VCF.
  • I/O on back includes CV & Gate In/Out, accent sweep cv out (amplified and normalized to 0-5V), filter cv input. Audio out consists of saw and sqr out (+/-5V), external input, and vca & filter outputs.
  • Sequencer control has TB-303 pitch/time modes as well as a new realtime mode making use of the the step led switches (yes those are switches). Too many features to list - browse the panel to get an idea. patterns can be 64 steps in length with numerous time signature options. There are 448 internal patterns and 56 tracks. These can also be saved and loaded via sysex.
  • Sync modes are internal, MIDI and DIN, and it outputs both MIDI and DIN Sync. Also has USB-MIDI, and synth can be played externally.
  • Extremely high build quality including custom pots, german key switches, and 4-piece steel enclosure.
computer controlled
Gotta have!
Paranormal Patroler
Looks great. Thanks for posting! I would've missed this.
Xmit
yep - I'm currently acidless at the mo' ( apart from the much-better-than-it-should-be-at-that-price-Monotribe hihi ) so this is deffo on my radar.

There are a couple of really short vids now on Matrixsynth too.
RustyO
Interesting / interested. In black thanks.
CF3
Saw this a few days back and it looks awesome. Build quality looks really nice. Lots of CV. Swappable filters! I'm afraid to know the price. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Comboy
MATSmile
What's wrong with audio quality in this video. Sounds like resonance went to smoke outside and never came back angry
VanEck
MATSmile wrote:
What's wrong with audio quality in this video. Sounds like resonance went to smoke outside and never came back angry

Sounds like plenty of 303 resonance to me... it's just not being overdriven.

I wonder if this will have any overdrive features onboard. I'm going to bet that's what some of the different cartridges are for... different filter circuits, some hopefully with overdriven qualities for meaner shades of acid.
darenager
Sounds nice, and good to hear it NOT over driven, I got kind of bored of that sound back in the 90's TBH, classic acid all the way or go home hihi
MATSmile
No, acid house for luuzers, gabber all the way, first you Guinness ftw! then you zombie and then you Dead Banana
darenager
Ave it! hihi
mckenic
Like the look and build quality (Im assuming here).
I think I read on matrix under $1000... hopefully well under cause this is interesting!
pre55ure
Hmmm, my moment to be all wet blankety, but it just sort of seems to be the exact same concept as the 777, and while the 777 might not be a *perfect* 303 emulation, the "not" 303ness of the 777 seems like it has a lot more range to it than this.

(hides)

Full disclosure: I own a 777 and it's one of my favorite synths ever- so I suppose that means I'm biased.
VanEck
pre55ure wrote:
Hmmm, my moment to be all wet blankety, but it just sort of seems to be the exact same concept as the 777, and while the 777 might not be a *perfect* 303 emulation, the "not" 303ness of the 777 seems like it has a lot more range to it than this.

(hides)

Full disclosure: I own a 777 and it's one of my favorite synths ever- so I suppose that means I'm biased.

I'd say you are on the money. In fact the 777 is what came to mind when I was first looking into this. I have been on the fence about 777 for a while now, but I don't have much use for "keys", and the price on them have gone sky high. I've been hoping for a "next best thing" as an alternative, and I feel like this might fit that.
computer controlled
The 777 is far too expensive. This seems to have more CV options as well. And hot swappable filter carts are cool as well.
Klaus
Used to own a 777. And I must say this unit seems a lot different, more of an actual 303 clone than the Future Retro IMO.

777 has the whole FM/Jeff Mills thing going, and from my perspective never really excelled in sounding like a 303.

That being said I'm not completely convinced by the Avalon. It def seems interesting but soundwise it seems to be lacking a little. I suspect it's just the video sound quality thou. Personally I would have loved an LFO instead of the exchangeable filter card (hides) But that's because I would be using it a lot live and the ability to LFO modulate the filter for slow Plastikman sweeps would be awesome
Xmit
^
yeah - I hear you. But it has got a CV input for the filter...so if you've got a spare LFO-out to hand from another bit of gear SlayerBadger!
revtor
Regarding 777 vs Avalon CV ins/outs they're pretty much tied, the Avalon has the waveform (osc) outputs, but the 777 has accent in and out. So depending on what you want to do with it CV-wise you could choose either. With the cv out from the machine and an osc from the modular I don't think having the VCO outs is a make or break. Accent in/out lends itself to a bit more interesting patching IMO. Where the 777 shines (of course) is going beyond 303 - 30 knobs tied directly to the synth. FM madness, especially when the CV's are engaged.

So yeah this Avalon is a 303 clone (Down to the components apparently) Where the 777 is its own thing, that can also do a passable 303.

At the sight of yet another 303 clone, I'm all yawn.. But still GASing!
h4ndcrafted
darenager wrote:
Sounds nice, and good to hear it NOT over driven, I got kind of bored of that sound back in the 90's TBH, classic acid all the way or go home hihi

I second that e-motion...
Luap
Im not sure the world needed yet another 303 clone.. seriously, i just don't get it

That said, I only just found out that Abstract Instruments = Brian Castro.
He is quite the wizard with original 303's and x0xb0xes. Some of you may remember him as being the guy behind the souped up x0xb0xes, the x0xi0.

Meaning, this machine is sure to be good! 8_)
computer controlled
The last x0xb0x i built was an x0xi0. Man, what a PITA that was =o]
MATSmile
Sound fixed to mono
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWHFrx-ZLtM
I will jus leave this link here, I forgot how to attach videos srry
MATSmile
SlayerBadger!
revtor
New Vid released by the man Brian Castro. Another to follow soon with more techie specs etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3SzyhPlYINw

~Steve
zam
Awesome, going to sell my newly acquired TT303 for this. The Avalon has much nicer integration with Euro Guinness ftw!
botstein
I'm so in. This was for sure one of the most exciting synths at NAMM for me. I want two, and and all of the filter cards, ASAP.
rockreid
I'm already trying to decide what I want to sell to fund this new piece of gear. I have an old 1980 era Les Paul Pro w/P90's that I have never really played in the 15 years I owned it. or maybe i'll hold onto it. hmmm. looking around my place for other stuff.
Modulus
Gotta say that it sounds like he nailed the slide on this one. Really looking forward to demos of the other filters too.
computer controlled
Looks like price will be $950. Too pricey for me Dead Banana
computer controlled
New video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZU9d0lxo0#t=416

A bit more technical in nature.
zam
I love how thorough and transparent this guy is being about it
xclark
just an FYI that these are now available for preorder at $949. I just pre-ordered the white with green LEDs. stoked! nanners

http://abstraktinstruments.com/buy/direct/

just gotta wait until the end of April waah
RustyO
Soon as I sell some other stuff, think I'm going to grab one of these babies.
Abraxis
There are three more audio examples on their soundcloud page.

http://soundcloud.com/abstrakt-instruments

I have epic-level gas for this thing. It sounds great, looks great and has an amazing feature set.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

The osc out, audio in and hot swappable filters are all have exciting possibilities with my eurorack. Sweet sequencer too.

At first I thought 'I'll sell my tt303 for this'. Then I thought 'LOL that's dumb!' Need both.

It comes out in April. My birthday is in April.

Coincidence? I think not.
subq
I'm in for one as well, black/green.
DiscoDevil
I have been content with my TeeBee MkIII for like 18yrs now to the point of selling my TB303 because it just wasn't getting used. Now THIS comes along... grrr... where's my checkbook?
xclark
bummer. looks like delivery of these might be delayed. very frustrating

see here.
heckadecimal69
There aren't yet audio (or otherwise) demos for the filter cards, are there?
computer controlled
No.
thesnow
damn, sort of feel like I should've gotten this over the korg odyssey SlayerBadger!
hadj
Looks like these are shipping now. Anyone care to post first impressions when they get one?
thesnow
looks cool

NeonCore
I really want one of these. Already have two quicksilver 303's but something about this really draws me in. The sub osc sounds fantastic and having a filter cv input as well as the extra envelope is just dead sexy..
Modulus
I hope the sequencer on this can be clocked via the gate input and not just midi. Sent a mail to abstrakt but no reply yet.
computer controlled
I don't think it can be.
xclark
hadj wrote:
Looks like these are shipping now. Anyone care to post first impressions when they get one?

where did you hear they were shipping these? I was one of the first pre-orders and I got an email saying they were shipping 3 weeks later than the original April 28th date.
oliverfenn
anyone got one of these yet ? just ordered one yesterday and wanted to know how long shipping would take to uk. i have emailed brian but he has not replied as of yet, just itching to have a go of it
xclark
I preordered the very first day it was possible and I haven't heard a peep from Abstrakt. Their Facebook page suggests they will be shipping soon, but it's not exactly clear.

very anxious to play around with this thing. gonna get my TM404 on. nanners
oliverfenn
The updated target for shipping is June 15
xclark
oliverfenn wrote:
The updated target for shipping is June 15

sad
listentoaheartbeat
revtor wrote:
New Vid released by the man Brian Castro. Another to follow soon with more techie specs etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3SzyhPlYINw

~Steve

Well though-out feature additions, and I like the interface and housing. Definitely a top-contender if I happen to feel like spending money on a desktop synth some time in the future. I do patch up acid basslines on the modular quite frequently, so buying a dedicated 303 synth has definitely crossed my mind.
oliverfenn
anyone had shipping notice yet ?
thesnow
patience oh wiggling one Om
wwinfrey
Brian sent out the following message to pre-purchasers yesterday:

Quote:

This update is being sent to all customers who have pre-purchased the Avalon Synth. We've missed the revised June 15 target due to numerous circumstances. Today was an important milestone as the last issues with enclosures is finally resolved. We will have the parts on hand before the end of the week. The synths are still on hold for a few reasons:

Production Firmware: We're still finalizing the code. We need a few more days to fixed any bugs reported.
Power Supply Units: PSU's are late to port. They were scheduled to arrive by sea but haven't arrived yet. We don't have an exact date for arrival except to say they are already late. Status on these will be updated on the facebook page. We're currently doing FCC verification to qualify the synth w/ another locally sourced PSU as a backup plan in the case the parts are delayed longer than another 7-10 days.
The getting started manual was late and is just being proofed at this time. It'll be printed in the next few days.

We're reluctant to give another revised target as we're day-to-day right now but we have targeted July 8 as a final deadline as our worst case contingency plans will have units ready to ship by then. As soon as we get the enclosures in-house and start getting them boxed up we'll start sending out ship dates for each individual order.

We're still updating the facebook page with details and pics of progress so the state of completion is transparent.

I'm working on a live PA for a festival I'm playing at the end of August, and am currently working with my x0xi0, and the Avalon can't come soon enough. I love the envelopes on the x0xi0 but the sequencer is the pits.
After watching Brian demo the link between the sequencer and the utility envelope in the overview video, I had to change my pants. headbang
icosa
This thing looks great, and I've considering grabbing a 303 clone lately. It's just the price that's not quite there for me. If this was about $200 cheaper I'd be game. Totally understand where the cost is coming from however due to them sourcing local components. I'm on the fence. Post some videos folks!
Modulus
icosa wrote:
This thing looks great, and I've considering grabbing a 303 clone lately. It's just the price that's not quite there for me. If this was about $200 cheaper I'd be game. Totally understand where the cost is coming from however due to them sourcing local components. I'm on the fence. Post some videos folks!

Considering the price of a devilfish, I think this unit is very well priced. Not to mention that it can also be used as a very powerful sequencer to drive a modular. The best thing is that this is actually a real 303 not an xoxbox or clone. If u watch the design goals video, this unit can run with the original 303 chip and has the exact same components and power specs for half the price of the old tb303
sonicwarrior
Modulus wrote:
The best thing is that this is actually a real 303 not an xoxbox or clone. If u watch the design goals video, this unit can run with the original 303 chip and has the exact same components and power specs for half the price of the old tb303

Nope, it uses a BA6110 instead of a BA662 so it doesn't use the exact same components.
Modulus
sonicwarrior wrote:
Modulus wrote:
The best thing is that this is actually a real 303 not an xoxbox or clone. If u watch the design goals video, this unit can run with the original 303 chip and has the exact same components and power specs for half the price of the old tb303

Nope, it uses a BA6110 instead of a BA662 so it doesn't use the exact same components.

ok well I shouldn't have said exact and I'm not an expert at circuits or DIY but my impression and observation from the design goals video is that the Avalon is about as close to the original design as you can get without spending 2k on the original unit. Thanks for pointing that out though. Still very excited nonetheless!
icosa
I watched the design goals video. Impressive stuff, especially running it off the original 303 chip. All those CV outs really expand the possibilities.
Modulus
I got an update from Brian regarding the external clock in capabilities of the Avalon.

Quote:

External gate/clock is not implemented for release but is supported in hardware (using the gate in jack) and may be added in a future update.
You would have to clock to MIDI or DINSync directly or use a clock converter/divider together with the MIDI or DINSync input to successfully clock from a gate input. If you have a modular setup there's many options, if you are strictly standalone hardware the options are limited.

We've had several requests for an additional analog clock-in since the 1st prototypes went out so we designed it in hardware. We're a small team of four and very busy so I don't want to promise a software update but it'll probably happen sooner than later.
xclark
Modulus wrote:
I got an update from Brian regarding the external clock in capabilities of the Avalon.

Quote:

External gate/clock is not implemented for release but is supported in hardware (using the gate in jack) and may be added in a future update.
You would have to clock to MIDI or DINSync directly or use a clock converter/divider together with the MIDI or DINSync input to successfully clock from a gate input. If you have a modular setup there's many options, if you are strictly standalone hardware the options are limited.

We've had several requests for an additional analog clock-in since the 1st prototypes went out so we designed it in hardware. We're a small team of four and very busy so I don't want to promise a software update but it'll probably happen sooner than later.

wow, that is great news and pretty much the only thing I felt like the Avalon was lacking.
thesnow

[/img]
wwinfrey
Avalon Manual was just posted to Abstrakt Instruments' site.

They say they're sending out a shipping schedule for all pre-orders later today.
icosa
Anyone get a hold of one yet? Or are they still working out the kinks with production?
computer controlled
They are slowly starting to trickle out.
xclark
finally, they are making their way out into the world! here's the first couple clips I've found:

sounds great to me! hopefully mine will arrive this week! nanners
Abraxis
I've been getting pretty frustrated by the lack of communication on these and was thinking about canceling my pre order.

That second video though, mmm. Ill wait.
rockreid

You Tube video I just shot with quick iPhone upload. Quick beat put together driven by my brand new Cirklon I got just a few weeks ago. This is one great sounding 303 and so much more! The Mod controls offer so much more than a stock 303.
thesnow
sounding cool.
heckadecimal69
More please! Any of you get a filter cart?
I'm going to order mine tomorrow with the ladder filter cart.
icosa
Hmm sounding pretty damn good. Hopefully Abstrakt will post some official vids soon.
Abraxis
Nice demo.

VanEck
Abraxis wrote:
Nice demo.

Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson
geremyf
Man I want one of these!

rohelineoun
At the start of this week I was dead set on buying a TT303 to compliment my x0xb0x thanks to this thread. cyclone tt-303 open source mod project Now I'm going to have sell my x0x to get one of these. I think it's my dream 303.

pre55ure wrote:

I think the 777 is a bigger shift away from the 303 than you're admitting. A lot of the "improved" 303s tend to focus on the simplicity of the original's voice as what needs to be expanded upon. As great an instrument as the 777 is (and I've always wanted one of my own except that $1200+ is just too much for a bassline synth who's sequencer note entry system drives me crazy), I've never had the desire while messing around on my x0x for a detuned sound, or an osc sync sound or filter FM or any of that. I think what the Avalon gets better than anything else I've seen (or at least the youtube videos make it look like it gets better than anything else I've seen) is that the 303 magic is an offshoot of the subtle interplay between the simple EG and the filter and VCA. Just by adding EG control of the VCA and a second assignable (and invertable!) envelope to the classic 303 voice, you don't get any crazy new sounds, just new ways to make your acid lines move.

I've never imagined paying big money for a real 303 before, not while such fun, effective and cheap copies abound, but $949 for this thing makes sense to me in a way that leaves me frightened about my future financial stability.
sad banana
computer controlled
The 777 is a completely different concept. Brian's x0xi0 mod for the x0xb0x is closer to the 777 idea than the Avalon.
rohelineoun
The Bombass by Acidlab heads off in that same direction as well. They are all great in their own way however, I was just trying to explain what exactly is so excitingly new about the Avalon. I hadn't seen the difference in design philosophy articulated anywhere.
stainers
rohelineoun wrote:

I think the 777 is a bigger shift away from the 303 than you're admitting. A lot of the "improved" 303s tend to focus on the simplicity of the original's voice as what needs to be expanded upon. As great an instrument as the 777 is (and I've always wanted one of my own except that $1200+ is just too much for a bassline synth who's sequencer note entry system drives me crazy), I've never had the desire while messing around on my x0x for a detuned sound, or an osc sync sound or filter FM or any of that. I think what the Avalon gets better than anything else I've seen (or at least the youtube videos make it look like it gets better than anything else I've seen) is that the 303 magic is an offshoot of the subtle interplay between the simple EG and the filter and VCA. Just by adding EG control of the VCA and a second assignable (and invertable!) envelope to the classic 303 voice, you don't get any crazy new sounds, just new ways to make your acid lines move.

Man, the detuned sound can work so nicely on the 777, that was the one thing that initially turned me off the Avalon as a glaring omission. But yeah, the sequencer on the 777 was part of the reason I ditched it. I've also been thinking about modding my TT-303, especially as I have an OSC mod to put in, but the TT's sequencer also drives me a bit nuts (even if it is authentic). The knobs are also annoying.
So now I'm thinking the Avalon's ext. in would suffice for my double osc fix.
Can anyone comment on the build and the feel of the knobs? It certainly looks like it has very fine attention to detail.
nepsis
rohelineoun wrote:
At the start of this week I was dead set on buying a TT303 to compliment my x0xb0x thanks to this thread. cyclone tt-303 open source mod project Now I'm going to have sell my x0x to get one of these. I think it's my dream 303.

Exactly. This looks amazing!
deesee
yes, i want this and i want it now.
Abraxis
Here are some sounds from my first afternoon with it.

Not trying to emulate a 303 but exploring the modulation envelopes.

If only it had CV over, well everything.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/abraxismf/avalon-first-contact[/s]
dadek
nice. may i ask, when did you order? Mr. Green growing impatient... help
Abraxis
dadek wrote:
nice. may i ask, when did you order? Mr. Green growing impatient... help

I was order #238.

The wait was super frustrating especially because they kept telling me it was going to ship and then it wouldn't. I was pretty close to cancelling but I'm glad I didn't. It's worth it.
xclark
The central Scrutinizer wrote:
anyone not getting a reply from abstrakt ? been emailing them for weeks now and not got 1 reply from them, even tried email in different name, getting pissed off big time now, i just want to know whats going on with my order, i got a couple of emails telling me my shipping date, but that was months ago, ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating

yes, I was getting no replies from Abstrakt at all and those same shipping dates came and went. the communication leaves a lot to be desired, and that is being generous.

however... This is fun!

my Avalon arrived a couple of weeks ago and it really is an awesome little machine. I'd already heard the sounds, so I already knew what it sounded like, but I was really surprised at how cool and smart the sequencer is. if you are able to be patient, I am sure you will be happy with it when it finally shows up.
dadek
Yep, I'm just trying to be patient and assuming it's at least another month or two for me... very frustrating
I'll be happy some day when it arrives but I guess I haven't reached my impatience threshold. Would love to see here more of everybody else playing though. hyper
duluthdack
duluthdack
Looks like the same size as my Elektron gear.... I might have to buy one, I don't have a 303 Dead Banana
duluthdack
OMG... I have gearlust now.... :(

computer controlled
The Gearslutz crowd have bought them all up.
duluthdack
We are all slutz for gear that need punishment
Agony!
vstace
You guys may have heard but Abstrakt recently had some assembly issues (LED's installed wrong) that will set dealer shipments back. Apparently direct pre-orders will not be affected.

I feel bad for Abstrakt, it's almost comical how many set backs they've had. It's still worth it though.
rohelineoun
duluthdack wrote:
Looks like the same size as my Elektron gear.... I might have to buy one, I don't have a 303 Dead Banana

That would have been perfect since I have two travel cases for my Elektrons! The Avalon is just a little bit wider unfortunately though.
OPT
Did you get yours through SX, or direct? I ordered mine weeks ago from SX but still waiting waah
geoffmar
man these things look incredible. make me disattisefied with my x0xb0x - first world problems!
dadek
just weeks? you've may still have a while to wait then. wink

just teasing, and i feel your pain as i am waiting also... very frustrating

did you get the 'things are delayed email' a couple weeks back? that said it would be mid october?

i ordered direct BTW.
CF3
Picked one of these up from Detroit Modular. Awesome build quality and it sounds fantastic. Lovin the extra envelope. applause Definitely scratching my 303 itch. Can't wait to try some of the other filter carts.

Well done Abstrakt Instruments. we're not worthy
OPT
Yep, loving mine w00t
drowld
Would love to hear more demo with different cartridge.
I was almost in to buy a real tb303 many times but this unit is way more interesting and somehow sound more pleasing to me.
The price is kinda high still
icosa
Just picked one of these up. It's easily my favorite little box at the moment. I'm amazed at how smart the sequencer is. You can "play" pretty much everything in real time. Transpose, accents, slides, pattern direction etc. And that's not even touching the extra mod envelope. SlayerBadger!
CF3
icosa wrote:
Just picked one of these up. It's easily my favorite little box at the moment. I'm amazed at how smart the sequencer is. You can "play" pretty much everything in real time. Transpose, accents, slides, pattern direction etc. And that's not even touching the extra mod envelope. SlayerBadger!

Definitely. The icing on the cake is being able to integrate external oscillators and cv sources.
drowld
Then is there any reasons to get a 303 ?
From the demo the beast seems to go beyond and the sound to me is more interesting.
What about the filter and grittyness ? Is it the only thing left that make sound "different"
dadek
Mine finally arrived and i am also loving it.

Sonically, has such a bigger sound than my revolution had.
The sub osc makes a huge impact on the sound, this thing has a really tremendous range just as shipped. I'll be excited to try out a nother filter cartridge.

In all honesty, i'm still getting used to the sequencer, but i really am loving it!
Fiddlestickz
Love mine, was one of the first to recieve one, it's such a bad ass little unit, going to give mine a knob upgrade soon as the black generic ones look a bit meh.. but the sounds, so dirty and knarly, serious synth.
heckadecimal69
drowld wrote:
From the demo the beast seems to go beyond and the sound to me is more interesting.
What about the filter and grittyness ? Is it the only thing left that make sound "different"

No reason whatsoever.
Not sure what you're talking about with the filter, it's identical to a 303.

The extra mod envelope is fooking genius. Filter FM in drone mode without even patching from anything else, oof duh. Such a great synth.
drowld
heckadecimal69 wrote:
drowld wrote:

No reason whatsoever.
Not sure what you're talking about with the filter, it's identical to a 303.

The extra mod envelope is fooking genius. Filter FM in drone mode without even patching from anything else, oof duh. Such a great synth.

Can you demo it ?
Ok if its the same. It sounded different to me but maybe its the demo
heckadecimal69
No. There's a 46 page gearslutz thread where Brian breaks it down.
Madchiller
Been testing out using external oscillators with this. It's pretty wicked. So far I have ran my DPO, braids and shapeshifter into it. Getting some great stuff out of it. Can't wait for the filter carts.
drowld
heckadecimal69 wrote:
No. There's a 46 page gearslutz thread where Brian breaks it down.

thanks for the info should have checked em
heckadecimal69
Can't say enough good about this synth and the work Brian is doing.
I got a quick reply email from him after asking about a couple possible features, and he's been on gearslutz again.
Here's some of what he had to say, pretty exciting stuff smile

"1) v1.05 firmware is being tested and will be released very soon. This includes many bug fixes as well as new features that were not implemented for the initial release.
2) There is an unofficial v1.04 firmware that units have shipped with for the past five weeks or so. We acknowledge that there is excess system noise in v1.03 an prior due to LED noise from the step button LED's. When compressing the signal greatly (30dB+) like when using a distortion pedal the noise is significant. The result is subjective but most won't like it. We optimized the software for v1.04 so that this noise is eliminated, and the broadband noise is now reduced below that of the TB-303. There is a tech note that has been prepared to go along with the v1.05 firmware that covers what to expect from the noise floor of the Avalon and a comparison to the TB-303.
3) Filter cartridges are now in process. It took a massive effort to get the avalon synth build streamlined and I had to shelve the cartridges until we caught up.
4) There is a series of tutorial videos for the Avalon. The first ones will be up before the end of the month w/ more to follow.

If you were to order direct it would be approximately 5 weeks. However, there are dealer orders going out weekly so it's possible you may find one sooner that way.
Abstrakt Instruments Dealers

The availability of the Avalon will continue to be limited until mid-January when the next production assemblies come in. Currently the assembly of the synth is a real pain in the ass and we're limited in the numbers we can ship. The build has been revised for future production to greatly improve assembly time, but we need to finish shipping current production parts first.

The sub oscillator was designed to go to "11". Basically to make sure you have more than enough level than you would need. The sub/external input also has a preamp so it can used with line level signals. If you feed it a typical synth level say +/-5V it'll need little gain to give you a healthy signal level, unless you want to abuse it! (for example take the VCA Out or Saw/Square out and feed to the external input and overload the filter). It's like the minimoog, the external input (or by default sub osc) goes through a preamp and then is passively mixed with the main oscillator. Also, when signals are passively mixed they are summed so the average level remains constant. If you crank the sub oscillator you will notice it swamps the main oscillator. This implementation is on purpose to retain the behavior of the TB-303. This is in contrast to a typical summing amp that multiplies the input signals. There's a note about this is the manual but can't fault most for not reading manuals.

You may also note the triangle sub oscillator may not sound very loud as it has only odd harmonics and hence little higher frequency content (almost a sine wave). So unless you engage the FR switch to allow full range audio and/or have a good audio system that goes down low you may not hear much form that 40Hz triangle wave! This is doubly true when using the (-2) octave settings, this setting is more useful when pitching the main oscillator up an octave or two or three for a nice 2 octave spread."

Also, from our email he confirmed that copying sections (pages/bars like elektron) is in 1.05, as well as filter CV offset per step. Also copying steps should be doable and will be in a future release. grin
CF3
heckadecimal69

Thanks for the update. SlayerBadger!
DiscoDevil
If I didn't already have so many monosynths, this would be a must have... I'm still holding out for the potential vaporware Vermona 14.
computer controlled
I really need one of these.
heckadecimal69
computer controlled wrote:
I really need one of these.

Seriously, everyone does. No reason for anything else.
oscilloscope
Not talking about the added features (extra filters etc.), so for those who already got and tried the avalon bassline: is this presently the closest machine sound-wise to the TB303 ?
dadek
i'm not a purist and haven't had a 303 since the 80's.
do love it more than the revolution. i sold that last year, i can't imagine giving this thing up anytime soon.
sounds damn close to my ears, but goes wayyyy beyond. Guinness ftw!
rohelineoun
oscilloscope wrote:
Not talking about the added features (extra filters etc.), so for those who already got and tried the avalon bassline: is this presently the closest machine sound-wise to the TB303 ?

The videos Brian has posted on youtube really hightlight the extremes he's gone to recruit the 303 in all its minutia so that's probably a fair claim.

DinSync has begun a new project, RE-303, which he describes a true replica rather than a recreation. Both sound fetishistic enough for me. The Avalon had me at "additional utility envelope" though. nanners
spotta
Just arrived. Wow.
xonetacular
My TT303 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already lusting for one of these...
drowld
spotta wrote:
Just arrived. Wow.

Would love to see a video of you making some stuff from
Scratch with the beast Rockin' Banana!
drowld
Double post Dead Banana

Glad to see they are doing something
Looking the gearslutz forum
I thought the house burned down or smthg
Madchiller
From the Abstrakt facebook:

OS v1.05 is finally ready. It will be going up this weekend. It is an essential update as it fixes many minor bugs and implements many features. The reference manual will also be updated to v1.05 so make sure to download it to replace previous versions. If you're Avalon is registered you'll get an email as soon as teh OS goes up.

And..

Just a quick update on the filter carts. They're done but overseas manufacturing is delayed. There isn't a firm ETA but they are expected to show up before the new year. As soon as they arrive they will start shipping.
Fiddlestickz
noderator edit: rules are rules. You can't sell stuff if you have less than 100 posts even by making thinly veiled FS post in a thread. Please read the market place and forum rules

Thanks

Ignatius.
nickbaba
Just got my hands on one of these (no, not Fiddlestickz'z one)...

As the owner of a real TB303, TT Bassbot, x0xb0x, M303 and OSC303/VCF I can confidently say this thing is the absolute bomb!

Its quite a 'modern' sound (very clean, quite in-your-face) but it sounds pretty damn authentic to me.

If an original 303 sounds like film stock, this sounds like Bluray, if you know what I mean. If Roland had invented the 303 now in 2015 it would sound like this.

Plus there's plenty of options to go beyond the classic TB sound.

Nice job Abstrakt.
dadek
SlayerBadger!
yes.
what i'm trying to figure out is if i'll be happy with a cartridge(s) or i'll have to by an additional box for cartridge use. seems rocking two boxes would be just crazy fun. help applause
Fiddlestickz
Fiddlestickz wrote:
noderator edit: rules are rules. You can't sell stuff if you have less than 100 posts even by making thinly veiled FS post in a thread. Please read the market place and forum rules

Thanks

Ignatius.

sorry mods I should know better.. oops
icosa
OS page is updated. No link yet, but looks like that's coming soon! Some nice bug fixes along with filter CV offset per step.
maltemark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmHQCacDEl0

Just some bullshit first time test of my Avalon.
sonicwarrior
Lot of clicks in there. Those are not coming from the Avalon, are they?
daveholiday
These things seem to be in short supply...not that I "need" one. Best I can tell none of the external filter carts are out yet, is that correct? If I am wrong I would be curious to see if anybody has heard any of the alternate filters! The wasp filter looks like it would be particularly fun in this setup...but it looks like that is not available yet.
TheNavigator
Just ordered mine.

Honestly, I can take the wait for this piece. The Avalon looks fantastic and I'm ready for it to be on the desk, but I'd rather have one that was constructed by hand, calibrated, and taken great care of.

Castro said the best bet to get one sooner than later was to get one through a dealer, since those orders are being filled first.
iVardensphere
I received my Avalon a couple days ago. I am, literally blown away. It might as well been called Steak and Avalon Day.

The sub oscillator sounds monstrous and the modulation envelope is a stroke of genius. I'm coming up with patterns on this thing on my first day that the 303 or any of its other clones could ever do. Having owned a TB, TT, XOXIO and revolution, this is, hands down, the best of the lot. A pleasure to play.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Anyone have a better sense about the Track programming?

I tried to follow the online manual but I just wasn't getting it to work correctly.
very frustrating
m03
sonicwarrior wrote:
Lot of clicks in there. Those are not coming from the Avalon, are they?

Maybe I've just been out of the game for a while, but the one I received a few days ago seems "clicky" as well, even when set to the neutral/basic-303 settings.

I recorded these two videos at the request of the vendor I purchased it from...still waiting to hear back from them, but I figured I'd sanity-check myself with the community in the meantime. Recorded from my camera, so sorry for the poor audio quality...I was trying to put these together quickly and didn't factor public consumption into it at the time:

It's a bit more apparent when being compared against (and trigger by) the TT303 in the second video:

I'm assuming that this is not typical.
heckadecimal69
Avalon all over this:
https://alwayshumantapes.bandcamp.com/album/the-worm
trainspotter
heckadecimal69 wrote:
Avalon all over this:
https://alwayshumantapes.bandcamp.com/album/the-worm

applause Drums!
drowld
The only swiss reseller is retarded. I need to get on the list directly from abstrakt.
But the price gonna be huge with the shipping + vat and taxes'n'moaaar..
Anyone ordered from europe ? Like france, germany or CH ?
h4ndcrafted
So it kind of quite about this, is it worth £900 ?

Is the clicking a real issue ?
maltemark
I haven't had any problem with clicking really.

Still waiting for the OS update so that the parameter cv offset locks start working though.
stainers
It looks like the clicking isn't a problem, Brian posted a video about it, if you haven't seen it already:

He's been really quiet online about the next run and OS update, but word is mid-July..
maltemark
edit
stainers
maltemark wrote:
edit

why?
daveholiday
Anyone heard anything from Brian lately? Bought one, and have been waiting patiently for about 3 months. Just curious, it's a want not a need so I can wait, but havent heard much for the past 4 months!
nangu
The thread on Gearslutz is more active than this one. The beta testers have had the new OS since July 9th. Abstrakt's online store says they're expecting new stock to be available on August 9th.

Quote:
GREAT NEWS ONLY FOR FEW USERS

"we have chosen to release a beta candidate to select users before the final version is released publicly".

Avalon OS v1.06 beta Release Notes July-9-2016

New features

1. Track mode fully implemented (as per Reference Manual).
2. MIDI input merging implemented. Both USB-MIDI and DIN-MIDI active simultaneously, clock input switches dynamically.
3. MIDI continue support enabled. Receive MIDI continue. Send continue with Function + Run/Stop, when seq stopped.
4. Pattern editing within chain. When a pattern chain is selected any pattern within the chain can be selected for editing.

Changes

1. Recording of realtime Accents, Slides, and Mod. Envelope triggers improved. In many cases button presses would be recorded into more steps than desired. Now button presses now will not record into consecutive steps unless they are held for more than 50% duration of the subsequent step.

Bug fixes

1. Clock issues with MIDI and DINSync are fixed. Latency on both USB-MIDI and DIN-MIDI is <1.8ms. Jitter is <140 microseconds.
2. System lock-up issues. I2C peripheral no longer freezes the OS. This happened almost exclusively when editing Filter CV's.
3. Filter CV offsets for pattern sections 2-4 now working. Adding Filter CV offsets for pattern sections above section 1 did not work.
4. Pattern chaining LED status fixed. The LED for the current pattern in a chain blinks, the LED's for the other patterns in the chain light solid.
5. Track Sysex Dumps now working. Previously track dumps could be sent but weren’t received correctly.

Known Issues

1. Reload of machine Sysex dump does not refresh current pattern displayed. Will be fixed for final release.

nangu
Avalon and the Transistor Ladder filter cartridge are back in stock at the Abstrakt Store.

There's no news about the SEM filter cartridge or the new OS yet. I'll post here as soon as I hear anything..
docsample
i saw this ladder filter demo on soundcloud and immediately ordered!

lol, my avalon still hasn't shipped yet.

https://soundcloud.com/raphiegrooves/abstrakt-avalon-bassline-ladder-f ilter-demo
nickbaba
Quote:

That depends... are you asking is it worth £900 to YOU? I have no idea...

Is it worth £900 to ME? Absolutely.

t some point I have owned just about every modern TB clone and re-make out there (standalone, software and modular) looking for 'that' sound and this is hands down and far away the best of them. Plus factor in the extra features, which push it beyond simple TB territory, and the changeable filters, and you have a little beast of a mono-synth. Imho. Ymmv.
geremyf
FYI someone has posted the 1.06 beta OS to the Avalon thread on gearslutz. Apparently it has its own issues too.
Modular Mike
h4ndcrafted wrote:

That's kinda like asking is anything worth it's price isn't it? It's hard when you can't drop in and demo something I know.

I've owned two amazing x0x's, a couple of actual 303's, tt-303 & TB-3.

For me I like simplicity and fun now-a-days and the TB-3 has been my favorite tool for making acid sounds. It simple and can fill in that sound gap.

I'm keen to get the TB-03 as for live gigs it has the look.

As for the Avalon, I found it really buggy. I found it frustrating & it always seemed out of tune. I sold it at a loss & just cannot see why someone would pay that much.

If you want get the X0X heart module for the sound & the Stepper Acid sequencer. Better sequencer, great sound for a cheaper price.

IMO the Avalon is a quiet a rip off for the final product.
heckadecimal69
Public beta 1.06c is out.
SPIKE the Percussionist
nickbaba wrote:
Quote:

That depends... are you asking is it worth £900 to YOU? I have no idea...

Is it worth £900 to ME? Absolutely.

t some point I have owned just about every modern TB clone and re-make out there (standalone, software and modular) looking for 'that' sound and this is hands down and far away the best of them. Plus factor in the extra features, which push it beyond simple TB territory, and the changeable filters, and you have a little beast of a mono-synth. Imho. Ymmv.

agreed...
i have had my Avalon for quite a while now and i keeping going back to it for more noiz!
i have been also working with it in an improvisational fashion and it never lets me down.
the Ladder Cart is also a nice thing...would like the SEM cart too!
Prints
Modular Mike wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

That's kinda like asking is anything worth it's price isn't it? It's hard when you can't drop in and demo something I know.

For me I like simplicity and fun now-a-days and the TB-3 has been my favorite tool for making acid sounds. It simple and can fill in that sound gap.

As for the Avalon, I found it really buggy. I found it frustrating & it always seemed out of tune. I sold it at a loss & just cannot see why someone would pay that much.

If you want get the X0X heart module for the sound & the Stepper Acid sequencer. Better sequencer, great sound for a cheaper price.

Have fun with your TB-3. If the TB-3 offers you what you value, it's no surprise you fail to appreciate the Avalon. What does "I'm keen to get the TB-03 as for live gigs it has the look." even mean? "the look"?? lol

I love my Avalon. I would never trust the opinion (with regards to anything related to electronic instruments) of someone who didn't.
docsample
i can't speak for the tb-3 or any other clones, but i have an avalon now and i can say it sounds great on the PA. i haven't been this excited about a synth in a long while. it sounds very good and can do pure 303 and more
stainers
So I got my Avalon yesterday and I can't get it to stop droning, I suspect it may be a faulty unit but hoping someone here can tell me I'm missing something.

Here's the email I wrote Brian (would normally just wait for a response from him but know that's a bit difficult to elicit):

Quote:
I just received my Avalon today, thank you. The trouble is I can not get it to stop droning.

I have zeroed the machine as per the manual. I don’t know if it is part of the problem but modulation envelope LED is always lit even when there is no modulation envelope triggers on any steps.

Some other things that seem faulty - I can’t hear the sub oscillator, nor any accents when programmed. Also when an external sound source is plugged in it sounds distorted and the SUB/INPUT knob doesn’t effect the volume of the external source.

I have tried reinstalling the latest OS to see if it fixed the problem but to no avail.
Modular Mike
Prints wrote:
Modular Mike wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Have fun with your TB-3. If the TB-3 offers you what you value, it's no surprise you fail to appreciate the Avalon. What does "I'm keen to get the TB-03 as for live gigs it has the look." even mean? "the look"?? lol

I love my Avalon. I would never trust the opinion (with regards to anything related to electronic instruments) of someone who didn't.

Someone's obviously got her period coming soon. I assume such a ridiculously emotional response about music gear could only come from a female who's currently emotionally challenged due to hormones.

I like my TB-3 & TB-03 because it means I don't need to take my two real 303's I've had since the early 90's to gigs anymore. In a club filled with 300+ punters cranked in all kinds of chemicals I doubt anyone notices how authentic the sound really is, they just want to blow off steam.
Why would I take vintage gear or a $1500 Aussie synth when I can have two TB-03's for less than that? And if they get damaged it costs nothing to get them repaired or I just buy a new one.

Get your head out of your ass boy. Stop being a whining brat on a forum and learn to accept different opinions & don't jump to conclusions.

You've got a lot of growing up to do keyboard warrior.
mckenic
Jesus Christ!
stainers
mckenic wrote:
Jesus Christ!

Tell me about it. I posted my question here (please see above:) because I didn't want to deal with that horrid gearslutz thread
xclark
It's always someone with less than a hundred posts that brings that ugly gearslutz attitude in here. Every time.
ignatius
Modular Mike wrote:

Someone's obviously got her period coming soon. I assume such a ridiculously emotional response about music gear could only come from a female who's currently emotionally challenged due to hormones.

I like my TB-3 & TB-03 because it means I don't need to take my two real 303's I've had since the early 90's to gigs anymore. In a club filled with 300+ punters cranked in all kinds of chemicals I doubt anyone notices how authentic the sound really is, they just want to blow off steam.
Why would I take vintage gear or a $1500 Aussie synth when I can have two TB-03's for less than that? And if they get damaged it costs nothing to get them repaired or I just buy a new one.

Get your head out of your ass boy. Stop being a whining brat on a forum and learn to accept different opinions & don't jump to conclusions.

quoting this so you can't delete it.

you should be embarrassed. i'm embarrassed for you if you're not.

this kind of shit we don't tolerate here. maybe you've not picked up on how we treat people around here.

we give people a lot of leeway to express themselves and generally do not censor stuff... but this kind of stuff tends to bring out the fucking pitch forks. there's just no reason to talk to people this way or be so sexist. take that shit somewhere else (or nowhere really.. ever)

so, consider this a very public warning.. you'll also be getting some PMs and perhaps an admin will take it further.
Pase
Modular Mike wrote:

t3h 8@nz3r@t3d
oscilloscope
ignatius wrote:
Modular Mike wrote:

quoting this so you can't delete it.

you should be embarrassed. i'm embarrassed for you if you're not.

this kind of shit we don't tolerate here. maybe you've not picked up on how we treat people around here.

we give people a lot of leeway to express themselves and generally do not censor stuff... but this kind of stuff tends to bring out the fucking pitch forks. there's just no reason to talk to people this way or be so sexist. take that shit somewhere else (or nowhere really.. ever)

so, consider this a very public warning.. you'll also be getting some PMs and perhaps an admin will take it further.

My humble opinion is that Modular Mike post was a bit off, but so is your reaction: I did not expect to see this witch hunt reaction with threats and menacing tone in a forum used mostly by musicians and artists.
I believe a reasoned rebuke and appeal for respect and politeness would have been enough imo.

I understand some people might feel hurt or offended by his menstrual metaphor which I personally found gratuitous, but with this aggressive effort of yours to chastise and evacuate controversy, trespassing, transgression, etc... one might end up mostly with compliant, submissive, and apprehensive clones.
Not a good sign in any creative field. nodnod
sduck
The post was sexist, condescending and a personal attack, none of which are condoned here. There's a considerable amount of history behind why these aren't tolerated. He has gotten a warning from the moderators.
TomzNotJerry
Hi all,

I am Modular Mikes boyfriend/partner who's been trying to show an interest in his hobbies.

Mike's beyond mortified. He's stupidly posted after having some terrible family news which he tried to cope with by drinking a lot of alcohol which gets his temper going. he's not violent & usually would ever say such offensive things.

As such he is going to take a sabbatical from this forum & let this die down.

he is terribly sorry to all of you & takes full responsibility.

Thanks & love to you all.
ignatius
TomzNotJerry wrote:
Hi all,

I am Modular Mikes boyfriend/partner who's been trying to show an interest in his hobbies.

Mike's beyond mortified. He's stupidly posted after having some terrible family news which he tried to cope with by drinking a lot of alcohol which gets his temper going. he's not violent & usually would ever say such offensive things.

As such he is going to take a sabbatical from this forum & let this die down.

he is terribly sorry to all of you & takes full responsibility.

Thanks & love to you all.

I hope the family news improves. sounds tough. sincerely. best wishes for it getting better.

this place is pretty forgiving and understanding so he's welcome to try again... make amends etc. i think there's details on that in the PMs he got.
mckenic
Thanks for posting and I hope things are a little better for Mike and continue to improve!

Please let him know whenever it is appropriate that there is no need for him to worry - we move past the bumps really quickly here and Im very sure he will feel that and be welcomed when he posts again.

If nothing else, this place can be a welcoming distraction!
Best to you both!
computer controlled
Finally ordered one from Detroit Modular tonight! Cannot wait!
daveholiday
Finally ordered one from Detroit Modular tonight! Cannot wait!

Given your gear list, I think it will fit right in to your setup! I love mine and the feature set is very nice. I have also used it to sequence my Syntecno TeeBee's via midi and it works very well. I was surprised at how close the Avalon and TeeBee sound to each other. Robbie really did get the sound pretty good back in the day!

Another thing that I have done with it is sequence my MS-20M with it to fatten up the Avalon output. It is pretty nice having the CV connectivity of this thing!

My only complaint about it is the lack of more MIDI CC control over the knobs. I have grown fond of the CC control of my rack mount clones for studio recording. This is a pretty minor complaint, but just a feature I would have liked!

The sequencer has some very solid features and is very flexible for changes on the fly!
computer controlled
I've been wanting one for over a year now. felt almost guilty for not having one =o] Now i just gotta get this RE-303 built!
Zerius
I've been wanting one for over a year now. felt almost guilty for not having one =o] Now i just gotta get this RE-303 built!

I'm watching on the Re-303 too but don't have the faith to build one unfortunately spinning
maltemark
I am having mine sent back for repair because of an issue where the bottom PCB was mounted in a way making it almost impossible to reach the internal DIP switches for adjusting ENV and other settings. Since it is an existing fault, I think shipping will be covered. Took a while to get a response though (4 weeks or so). They must have work up to their knees over at avalon hq.
Prints
I like this thing
computer controlled
Zerius wrote:

I'm watching on the Re-303 too but don't have the faith to build one unfortunately spinning

I've built a handful of x0xb0xes, so i'm set and ready to burn! =o]
cake100
maltemark wrote:
I am having mine sent back for repair because of an issue where the bottom PCB was mounted in a way making it almost impossible to reach the internal DIP switches for adjusting ENV and other settings. Since it is an existing fault, I think shipping will be covered. Took a while to get a response though (4 weeks or so). They must have work up to their knees over at avalon hq.

Was yours one of the first batch? The newer versions have a different design.
maltemark
cake: Yeah, it must have been one of those. Or had a rev1 top pcb and later revision for the bottom one.
ngarjuna
A little over the halfway point in my "4 week" wait (I ordered a custom LED color from a dealer, they made it worth my while). Starting to itch. My Rat pedal shows up today... zombie
daveholiday
ngarjuna wrote:
A little over the halfway point in my "4 week" wait (I ordered a custom LED color from a dealer, they made it worth my while). Starting to itch. My Rat pedal shows up today... zombie

Been using mine with a Rat as well...pretty classic acid sound. Another pedal that sounds good, but different in many ways in the Moog MF Drive. A bit pricey compared to the Rat, but it does have a bit more sound shaping with the built in filter.

The Rat does just sound "right" with the 303 sound tho!

I believe I have seen a Rat floating around in some of the Hardfloor set ups! we're not worthy
elevation
ngarjuna wrote:
A little over the halfway point in my "4 week" wait (I ordered a custom LED color from a dealer, they made it worth my while).

what LEDs did you buy and where?
ngarjuna
elevation wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:
A little over the halfway point in my "4 week" wait (I ordered a custom LED color from a dealer, they made it worth my while).

what LEDs did you buy and where?

I ordered a white chassis with blue LEDs. I went through Detroit Modular as they were offering 10% off over T'giving.
maltemark
That's funny, I'm thinking to ask to pay for Abstrakt change my blue LEDs on my white Avalon to green or something less punishing for the eyes - even without HPPD the brightness of the blues makes the unit hard to work with. It's even worse than the Future Retro XS/Orb combo tbh ...
ngarjuna
maltemark wrote:
That's funny, I'm thinking to ask to pay for Abstrakt change my blue LEDs on my white Avalon to green or something less punishing for the eyes - even without HPPD the brightness of the blues makes the unit hard to work with. It's even worse than the Future Retro XS/Orb combo tbh ...

I'm pretty sure they will do that though I'm not sure what they would charge; my understanding is that the white and black each have a default LED color (white and red) and the upgrade pricing is for swapping out the LEDs to blue, green, whatever.

I'm guessing the new firmware's brightness controls doesn't dim them enough for you? Or am I mistaken about that feature being in the new firmware? (don't have my unit yet so I can only read manuals)
nangu
The blue is pretty powerful, even when fully dimmed. I really like blue LEDs, but this is a lot even for me. I'm very happy with mine- but if it had been any brighter, it probably would have been too much..

Considering my proclivities, that may mean that a normal person could feel like they were being blasted by lasers..
VanEck
is it possible to drive the avalon sequencer with a trig/gate input? i noticed it's possible to do that on the tb-03, curious if it's possible to do the same on the avalon since it has a gate input.
computer controlled
I don't think so.
stainers
VanEck wrote:
is it possible to drive the avalon sequencer with a trig/gate input? i noticed it's possible to do that on the tb-03, curious if it's possible to do the same on the avalon since it has a gate input.

The idea was floated a while ago, maybe if he ever gets on top of it all he could work it into a firmware, would be great
ngarjuna
I don't think it does either (my unit is still not here yet so...just from reading the manuals), that's about the only thing the Avalon was missing from my master checklist. I think the workaround for my setup is to use DIN sync but analog clock input would be quite welcome.
Sweetfiltersweep
Hi,

I used external LFOs to modulate the filter cv and pitch cv inputs of the Avalon. I got some wicked sound in both cases. However, i think the filter and pitch cv inputs are set differently:

With external voltage control to the filter, all Avalon's filter control works still as expected. The incoming voltages are added to the internal ones. Ok.

With external pitch control to the pitch, the pitch sinks to a very low note as soon as the jack is connected to the cv input, even if the external mixer controlling the amount oc voltage going into the Avalon was set to a minimum value. And I was unable to hear note changes on the Avalon.

It seems that the pitch cv input replaced the internal pitch control, not added like the filter cv input. Not as desired. :-(

https://soundcloud.com/knobsandleds/sets/avalon-bassline-external-cv-m odulation

Can someone please confirm this behaviour?
ngarjuna
I should be able to check it out sometime next week, Sweetfiltersweep, I just got the email from the boys in Detroit that mine's on its way. Very excited!
ngarjuna
Still haven't taken delivery (later today!) but I'm rereading the manual and I think the answer to your question is: yes, that's normal.

The filter and VCA modulation inputs are setup like so:
Quote:
VCF DEPTH has been designed with a progressive voltage offset for increasing (+) or (-) modulations amounts. When the control is rotated clockwise for (+) modulation a negative offset is applied to the filter control input. Likewise, as an increasing (-) modulation amount is set by rotating the control counter-clockwise a positive offset is applied to the filter control input. See Appendix B for more details.
VCA DEPTH has been designed with a progressive voltage offset for negative (-) modulation amounts. When the control is rotated counter-clockwise for (-) modulation a positive offset is applied to the VCA control input. See Appendix B for more details.

So, as you noted, CV is added to the control input with the aforementioned offsets applied (so as not to modulate yourself right out of useful ranges, I'm guessing).

But for the pitch:
Quote:
CV & GATE INPUTS The GATE IN 1/8" jack allows other analog devices to trigger the Avalon's envelopes. The CV IN 1/8" jack allows control of the pitch of the Avalon oscillators from an external source. When a CV input is plugged into the jack the internal sequencer pitch CV is bypassed.

So when you plug in external pitch the pitch drops to whatever base tuning is and does not add to the sequencer's pitch CV.
geremyf
So I'm pretty unclear about the status of the Avalon. I believe that many are in stock, but the GS thread is a cesspool and the status of bugs in the latest firmware is hard to decipher. Is everything copacetic now? I have been been pining over one of these for a year or so but the wait time, some of the comms issues, and lack of updates had me second guessing....is everybody satisfied now?
ngarjuna
geremyf wrote:
So I'm pretty unclear about the status of the Avalon. I believe that many are in stock, but the GS thread is a cesspool and the status of bugs in the latest firmware is hard to decipher. Is everything copacetic now? I have been been pining over one of these for a year or so but the wait time, some of the comms issues, and lack of updates had me second guessing....is everybody satisfied now?

I've had mine about half a week but I just spent the day really digging in so...first off I was also keeping up with the GS thread. The only item going into the new firmware that I was very concerned about was sync. I have the DS-1200 (DIN to dual 3.5mm) cable from the BST which I pipe over a Silent Way clock at 24ppqn. Plugged it in, set the clock to external, bang! it followed my DAW. Changing patterns I have not noticed any drift so that problem seems to be fixed unless I'm misremembering the specifics of that issue (but iirc it did also glitch when DIN sync'd). I've had zero issues with sync, solid. Haven't tried MIDI sync yet and it's not a feature I'm likely to use much.

I guess I should start with the basics: does it sound like a 303? omfg yeah it does. I mean most x0xb0x and TT-303 I've heard are pretty damned good; there are a few softwares I think are also pretty good. But this is just spot on. I don't own a 303 to A/B and it's been a while since I played on one so feel free to take my fidelity reviews with a grain of salt. What I will say is that the sound and action of the sequencer/envelopes satisfies me in a way that the TB-03 left me flat. It comes with some 'traditional' lines in banks 1&2, I ran it through my Rat pedal and hit up the 'Da Funk' line and was pretty blown away by how close I could get it.

Personally I'm not much of a pitch & time guy, I see the appeal but that's not generally the way I like to work. So for me the addition of the step buttons makes for a really usable UI. Quick to get around, easy to see what's what for the most part, LEDs indicating when various envelope events are taking place. I was pleasantly surprised when externally LFO'ing the filter CV input to discover that the VCF depth attenuverter can be used as a static offset if you're not otherwise using the so-called 'modulation envelope' (the extra one), super useful (and hey! there's an extra envelope per step too!). And yeah, external LFO from modular to the 3.5mm input is convenient. I haven't yet used the Sub (I've auditioned it for every single pattern), 3 waveforms is pretty versatile for a sub-osc; but it's there and you can turn it off so yay or /shrug.

The build is beyond solid, it's robust. Steel case (it is super heavy; not battery powered so inherently less portable than a 303 and some of the clones; but it's not budging on your desk even as your wiggling your fingers off). The pots feel great, the rotary switches feel great. The buttons feel amazing, very high quality. I haven't yet tried sequencing the modular with it (it's new, I still want to hear it heh) or the Saw/Sqr outs. I'm intrigued by the SWEEP out, makes it into a CV modulator (envelope with that accent 'wow' shape); seems like that could be useful for providing CV to the modular while wiggling the beautiful decay pot.

I'm interested in the filter cards. Not in a Moog ladder (I already have a few really good ones in my modular) and probably not the SEM filter (unless I hear a demo that blows me away). That said the Wasp and Arp filters interest me in the context of this synth, I'll likely buy those when they're available. That's another cool feature; I'd also likely buy other Roland-y designed carts if he ever went that way. Or other interesting designs.

So it's pretty much everything I hoped it would be. I had high-ish hopes for this thing, it's not cheap (it's not outrageous either). I'm very satisfied right now. I'm still working on the mix down but I'll post the jam which has a few different Avalon parts when it's done.
geremyf
Glad to hear it!! It is a dream...hopefully a reality soon! Please do post some clips. Solid sync nice.
BTG
geremyf wrote:

I definitely am.
computer controlled
Nothing to be afraid of. It's a solid piece and i have had no issues at all. Buy one and be happy =o]

As for the sound, here are some tracks i already recorded with it.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/computer-controlled/sysex[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/computer-controlled/avalon-acid[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/computer-controlled/the-contact[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/computer-controlled/walker[/s]
ngarjuna
The computer controlled stuff is great!
A couple clips:

felix
VanEck wrote:

ngarjuna wrote:
I don't think it does either (my unit is still not here yet so...just from reading the manuals), that's about the only thing the Avalon was missing from my master checklist. I think the workaround for my setup is to use DIN sync but analog clock input would be quite welcome.

The Gate In is just for the analog voice. And from the circuit diagram, looks like output of the microcontroller (sequencer brain) sends to that same Gate In area (looks like they're OR'd together), so I doubt there'd be a way to change this simply by software/firmware.

BUT - DIN sync is analog clock. And making cables to interface with a modular (1/8" jacks on one end, 5pin DIN on the other) is not terribly hard. In a pinch I've even jammed an 1/8" patch cable between two of the DIN pins to access the DIN clock.

I'm curious though, anyone who has the TB-03, does the Trig In advance the sequencer one stage for every single trigger? OR, do you need to basically send it a clock (steady stream of triggers) and it will follow that?
I have a feeling it's the latter.
dani
yeah Dinsync is an analog clock, but with 24 or 48 pulses per quarter note (PPQN)

I'm looking for some (cheap) hardware to to do the transition (also otherwise, as Elektron's A4 put's out Din Sync but I want an analog clock trigger), in my opinion the Roland SBX-1 is too expensive

sure a clock divider would do, but that costs rack space as well..

not sure about the TB-03 but I think it's about advancing the sequencer one more and not about needing a stable clock (there was something in the TR-09 and 03-Videos about trigger out and in)

otherwise: the Avalon is a real gem of a synthesizer, it's the magical sound and the build is just massive (and beautiful, in my case white on white)
maltemark
They must be busy at Abstrakt, I was promised a return label for repairs for my factory faulty Avalon in December (after a few weeks of not replying to my first emails in November) but still a month later it hasn't materialized and no answers to e-mails...
xclark
Yeah, communication with/from Abstrakt is dreadful.
computer controlled
felix wrote:

I'm curious though, anyone who has the TB-03, does the Trig In advance the sequencer one stage for every single trigger?

Yes, that's the whole point of that feature.
cake100
maltemark wrote:
They must be busy at Abstrakt, I was promised a return label for repairs for my factory faulty Avalon in December (after a few weeks of not replying to my first emails in November) but still a month later it hasn't materialized and no answers to e-mails...

Give them a call. You will speak to someone who will lay the message to Brian and he will probably call you back. In my case due to time differences he emailed the solution to the issue I had (blown fuse from early model)that day.
ngarjuna
Tracking...oh my gods...this is surely the greatest thing since sliced bread.
ngarjuna
Yeah I never got a reply to any email, sent a few. But Brian did return my call.

This is from my weekend with the Avalon, absolutely loving this guy.
Zerius
ngarjuna wrote:
Yeah I never got a reply to any email, sent a few. But Brian did return my call.

This is from my weekend with the Avalon, absolutely loving this guy.

Nice jam Rockin' Banana!
felix
dani wrote:
yeah Dinsync is an analog clock, but with 24 or 48 pulses per quarter note (PPQN)

I'm looking for some (cheap) hardware to to do the transition (also otherwise, as Elektron's A4 put's out Din Sync but I want an analog clock trigger), in my opinion the Roland SBX-1 is too expensive

sure a clock divider would do, but that costs rack space as well..

Assuming you also have a euro system, a clock divider module would be useful beyond this application too. Or something like the MakeNoise Tempi which can divide or multiply an incoming clock. I ended up being too busy over the weekend, but I've been meaning to try to sync the Avalon to my euro system by having a x24 clock out of the Tempi going to the DIN input on the Avalon.

felix wrote:

I'm curious though, anyone who has the TB-03, does the Trig In advance the sequencer one stage for every single trigger?

Yes, that's the whole point of that feature.

Awesome!
thewizmusic
ya I had CV issues with mine and Brian said send it over and 3 days it will be back. 1 day shipping to them. They are pretty close to me. About to finish up 3 weeks now this week....no replies to my emails and I called...2 ladies hung up on me and another said she would relay the message. That was a couple business days ago. If you get a response they seem to answer pretty quick for replies after the initial but if you haven't spoken in awhile you are dead in the water. Hell I don't even know if they actually received the unit. Would suck to pay that much for a synth send it out for RMA and be SOL. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Spoke on the phone with him seems a good guy but do not know why they cannot get the customer service side in order.
Numanoid92
Do any of you know if their going to make the Wasp Filter card? i really would like to have it
thewizmusic
To follow up on my situation...Finally got a hold of Brian. He really is a solid guy. This has been such a horrible scenario for both of us.

2 things Brian needs is -

strong technical/customer service staff
better Post office

If Brian reads this...thanks without you jumping in I would have lost it! nanners
xonetacular
I'm very curious about the R:OTA filter listed in the store and if that would get it close to an sh101

If an avalon with that filter could get close and be like a modern mc202 that would be tempting.
placidhouse
picked up the discounted white on white from perfect circuit over the holiday weekend. just arrived today. cannot believe the build quality on this thing.
compared to my xoxbox, well, it makes it feel like a toy. so ready to dive in but that will have to wait for morning. i don't think i'll be let down.
cake100
thewizmusic wrote:
To follow up on my situation...Finally got a hold of Brian. He really is a solid guy. This has been such a horrible scenario for both of us.

2 things Brian needs is -

strong technical/customer service staff
better Post office

If Brian reads this...thanks without you jumping in I would have lost it! nanners

I got the impression when I've called that they were not part of the company and contracted to receive calls to relay to Abstrakt.
When the messages were relayed to Brian I had feedback and a call within a very short time.

Actually talking with him a couple of months ago he told me there are more products on the way including a synth (with filter card compatibility) - a prototype already exists, a drum machine as well as some eurorack gear.
CF3
cake100 wrote:
Actually talking with him a couple of months ago he told me there are more products on the way including a synth (with filter card compatibility) - a prototype already exists, a drum machine as well as some eurorack gear.

eek! oh hell yes! The quality of the Avalon and the filter carts has me crazy interested in anything else he releases. A full synth?!?! A drum machine?!?!!!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING MAKE IT HAPPEN.
cake100
New videos by Brian and OS on the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysNVDlzB39o
davidjames
cake100 wrote:

Hey can you share a link to info on the new OS? I wasn't aware.
placidhouse
davidjames wrote:
cake100 wrote:

Hey can you share a link to info on the new OS? I wasn't aware.

this is the second mention i've heard about new firmware but can't find anything official. is there a link to info?
thesnow
Anyone know if more of black/red and black/blue models will be made? There's a preorder option for black/red at PCA but they don't when they'll get them and I do t want to put the preorder in if it will get cancelled anyway
CF3
thesnow wrote:
Anyone know if more of black/red and black/blue models will be made? There's a preorder option for black/red at PCA but they don't when they'll get them and I do t want to put the preorder in if it will get cancelled anyway

Analogue Haven has a Black/Blue one right now. You can buy direct from Abstrakt too.
thesnow
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:

Analogue Haven has a Black/Blue one right now. You can buy direct from Abstrakt too.

I would have bought it from AH in a second but that information is false and Abstrakt only has white models for sale, I prefer black.
CF3
thesnow wrote:
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:

I would have bought it from AH in a second but that information is false and Abstrakt only has white models for sale, I prefer black.

That sucks waah

Supposedly Detroit Modular has a Black w/ White. That's where I got mine.
RustyO
CF3 wrote:

I've got my eye on a Black/Blue one... how do cats find the leds?

Can't afford one at the moment; so more just GAS; and then having to fork over another $100 for blue leds, I hope they are good; as opposed to DSI Evolver bad blue leds... so, so bright zombie
stainers
RustyO wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Can't afford one at the moment; so more just GAS; and then having to fork over another $100 for blue leds, I hope they are good; as opposed to DSI Evolver bad blue leds... so, so bright zombie

They're actually kinda soft looking, it does get kinda fuzzy (for my eyes) trying to focus on them, but yeah that are not that searing LED blue.
I also felt a bit weird coughing up so much extra for a colour preference but it seemed worth it getting such a beautiful instrument just right
RustyO
stainers wrote:
RustyO wrote:
CF3 wrote:

They're actually kinda soft looking, it does get kinda fuzzy (for my eyes) trying to focus on them, but yeah that are not that searing LED blue.
I also felt a bit weird coughing up so much extra for a colour preference but it seemed worth it getting such a beautiful instrument just right

Thank yiu for that. Not in a position to buy one; but the Black/Blue combo definitely looks the most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Glad to hear it's not blinding blue.
thesnow
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:

That sucks waah

I'm not sure about the white led's, how does it look? Do you like it?
Happyanimal
You have the option of dimming the LED's on the Avalon.
placidhouse
thesnow wrote:
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:
CF3 wrote:
thesnow wrote:

That sucks waah

I'm not sure about the white led's, how does it look? Do you like it?

white leds are not bad. i like my white on white. they're soft and i have zero vision issues with them.
noisejockey
[question resolved]
DiscoDevil
Resonance pot going on mine already. Bummer.
thesnow
DiscoDevil wrote:

How long have you had it? Did you buy it used? I'm about to get a brand new one soon I hope the build quality is solid
BTG
thesnow wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

How long have you had it? Did you buy it used? I'm about to get a brand new one soon I hope the build quality is solid

Build quality is great. They use only high quality components.
CF3
For the people that have been waiting.... The R:OTA Roland SH-JP filter carts are in stock on the Abstrakt online store Rockin' Banana!
DiscoDevil
thesnow wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

I bought used but it's less than 6 months old and was well taken care of. I know of another person with a flaky res pot too. Not sure what it is about that one that would cause it to fail more often. I definitely use other pots more than res. The build quality in general is impressive. It's quality throughout.
heckadecimal69
Yeah that was me, it's just a lil bit crackly. Brian was super cool about it and sent me a couple replacements. Still need to do that...
DiscoDevil
heckadecimal69 wrote:
Yeah that was me, it's just a lil bit crackly. Brian was super cool about it and sent me a couple replacements. Still need to do that...

Mine too. It comes and goes and is still usable but definitely needs addressed.
TS
I haven't seen any talk about this since it first started making the rounds. Cool to see it again and it be available!
dykehouse
My resonance knob is also noisy after owning it for 3 months and barely touching it. That beiing said I turned it back and forth a bunch today and that seemed to clear it up completely. Seems weird that three people have the same issue with the same knob...anyone with a noisy knob that isnt res? I love this machine so much, one of my faves of all time.
scrunday
dykehouse wrote:
My resonance knob is also noisy after owning it for 3 months and barely touching it. That beiing said I turned it back and forth a bunch today and that seemed to clear it up completely. Seems weird that three people have the same issue with the same knob...anyone with a noisy knob that isnt res? I love this machine so much, one of my faves of all time.

I've had the same issue at least twice. Thought I was hearing things, because I stepped away to fiddle with some other gear for a while, and when i returned didn't hear any noise when tweaking the knob
Happyanimal
CF3 wrote:
For the people that have been waiting.... The R:OTA Roland SH-JP filter carts are in stock on the Abstrakt online store Rockin' Banana!

Curious- how much of a difference does this make the sound? Anyone tried the SEM filter?
anselmi
Happyanimal wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Curious- how much of a difference does this make the sound? Anyone tried the SEM filter?

+1!
CF3
Happyanimal wrote:
CF3 wrote:

I've got both the SEM and the Ladder Filter carts and damn they sound really really good. Totally changes the character of the unit. So juicy, so ballsy. Just like the Avalon itself....dead on sound-wise. I would love it if Brian made a "filter cart module" in euro so I could have access to these filters in my case. Can't wait to use the R:OTA. Hopefully we see a full synth using these carts w00t
computer controlled
CF3 wrote:

Not from what i see.
CF3
CF3 wrote:

Not from what i see.

fattyparts
totally subjective i realise, but which filter cart rocks the most?
BTG
fattyparts wrote:
totally subjective i realise, but which filter cart rocks the most?

You'll find equal preferences. There's a soundcloud that has comparisons of the 303, Ladder, and SEM:

https://soundcloud.com/firstderivative/avalon-bassline-filter-cart-com parisons
Abstrakt
.. I saw the Avalon thread here on the first page and wanted to give some details regarding the resonance pot. We have not had a problem with the pots, from warranty history I can see we have replaced resonance pots in about 0.6% of units within 24 months, so only a few.

There's only a few pots that are in the audio path including resonance and volume, these are the ones you would hear audible noise from. Incidentally we have yet to have to replace a volume pot under warranty.
If you do have a noisy resonance pot you can contact me directly for warranty claims... brian.castro-at-abstraktinstruments-dot-com If you have purchased your units from Perfect Circuit (USA), SX Pro (UK), or Schneidersladen (Germany) you can also contact them as the intermediary, they have spare pots on hand and sometimes work with us and carry out warranty repairs on hand.
heckadecimal69
Stand up guy smile

The carts are awesome, BPF on the ladder cart was a nice surprise. I love love love the SEM cart and just ordered the R:OTA. Whatever Abstrakt has planned for future machines, they're apparently going to have other stuff that these carts work in, and I'm willing to bet I'll buy whatever it winds up being. Miley Cyrus
fattyparts
whatever happened to the wasp cart?
noisejockey
My first play with my new white-on-white Avalon...I now have three SEM-based voices in the studio, I think I need to admit to myself what my favorite filter is...

As usual, patch notes are in the description.
xonetacular
any demos of the ROTA and moog filter cards?
noisejockey
xonetacular wrote:
any demos of the ROTA and moog filter cards?

I got the ladder filter cart...but now I can't find it. Will post a clip when I've got one. (starts rummaging through piles)
DiscoDevil
Anyone else tried using theirs as a midi module? I have issues with hung notes after the sequencer stops and periodic "skips" or hiccups during playback. Trying to figure out if it's the Avalon or perhaps my Zaquencer causing it.
trappywappy
DiscoDevil wrote:
Anyone else tried using theirs as a midi module? I have issues with hung notes after the sequencer stops and periodic "skips" or hiccups during playback. Trying to figure out if it's the Avalon or perhaps my Zaquencer causing it.

I sequence a lot of my gear with the Avalon and have never had any problems. Maybe it's the Zaquencer?
DiscoDevil
trappywappy wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

I sequence a lot of my gear with the Avalon and have never had any problems. Maybe it's the Zaquencer?

I'm doing the opposite. Sequencing the Avalon with the Zaquencer. None of my other synths have an issue with this but I'm not ruling out the Zaq.
DiscoDevil
Can someone with an Avalon try to sequence it with an external sequencer for a while and see if you have similar issues? Set it to internal clock and then just send midi patterns at it for about 15 minutes or so and see if you get any weirdness. Mine will "hiccup" where it falls behind and then catches up, the filter will sometimes go crazy where the cutoff sounds like it's turned all the way down and then will come back on the next bar, etc. Then it will run fine for a few minutes and then go silent. Turning it off and on will fix it temporarily. It never does this when I just use the internal sequencer.
heckadecimal69
Have you tried /can you try from another sequencer?
I love the Avalon sequencer so never use it the other way.
DiscoDevil
The Avalon sequencer is great but it's nice to have a central place to work from. I could try with the Pioneer but that's the only other one I have and it's pretty rudimentary at this point.
Happyanimal
DiscoDevil wrote:
Can someone with an Avalon try to sequence it with an external sequencer for a while and see if you have similar issues? Set it to internal clock and then just send midi patterns at it for about 15 minutes or so and see if you get any weirdness. Mine will "hiccup" where it falls behind and then catches up, the filter will sometimes go crazy where the cutoff sounds like it's turned all the way down and then will come back on the next bar, etc. Then it will run fine for a few minutes and then go silent. Turning it off and on will fix it temporarily. It never does this when I just use the internal sequencer.

I use with engine all the time- no issues. I would check what kind of MIDI data you are transmitting to Avalon, and what it's listening for.
DiscoDevil
Happyanimal wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

I use with engine all the time- no issues. I would check what kind of MIDI data you are transmitting to Avalon, and what it's listening for.

I'm transmitting note on/off, pitch, velocity and clock. The Avalon is the only synth in my studio that freaks out like that. Hmmm.
Happyanimal
Why transmit and listen for clock if you're just using Avalon as a sound module?
DiscoDevil
Happyanimal wrote:
Why transmit and listen for clock if you're just using Avalon as a sound module?

Because my drum machines need clock and as far as I know, you can't filter out anything on the Avalon.
Happyanimal
DiscoDevil wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:

Because my drum machines need clock and as far as I know, you can't filter out anything on the Avalon.

???

Are you using the sequencer in the Avalon? If not, don't transmit clock.
DiscoDevil
Happyanimal wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:

???

I have other machines that require the clock from the sequencer.
Happyanimal
DiscoDevil wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:

???

I have other machines that require the clock from the sequencer.

Read manual - page 31.
DiscoDevil
I obviously have midi sync off in order to use it as a midi module. The internal sequencer is not running while these anomalies happen.
CF3
Did anyone order and receive their R:OTA cart from the Abstrakt online shop?

I'm going on 2 weeks now with no shipping confirmation or correspondence of any kind, besides the auto-generated invoice. Tried emailing a few times now with zero reply. I guess next up is an old school phone call.....
dubchild
I was just about to write the same message in this thread.
I am in the same boat.

CF3 wrote:
Did anyone order and receive their R:OTA cart from the Abstrakt online shop?

I'm going on 2 weeks now with no shipping confirmation or correspondence of any kind, besides the auto-generated invoice. Tried emailing a few times now with zero reply. I guess next up is an old school phone call.....
noisejockey
Someone earlier in this thread asked, so here is a test of three filters: The in-built Roland, the SEM cart, and the Ladder cart. Each sweep, from mix to max, is in three parts: no resonance, 50% resonance, 100% resonance. Core waveform is Main square, Sub square @ 50% mix.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/335562639" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Also, here's a ambient drone track that uses all three at once.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/335561203" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
DiscoDevil
Now I think there's something wrong with the Avalon. I don't even have to be sending it midi data. I can turn it on and leave it sit for a while and when I try to use it, it's silent. Turning it off and on makes it work again. I will contact Abstrakt.
CF3
R:OTA finally arrived. w00t

Sounds very SH-ish. Love how all the carts respond totally different to envelope settings and modulation. This one sounds particularly good with the Sub Osc mixed in. Brilliant job by Brian.
computer controlled
Really want that filter! And the 4075.
WaveRider
...seems like an awesome instrument. On my list for sure. I wish the best to this brand!
ngarjuna
CF3 wrote:

Sounds very SH-ish. Love how all the carts respond totally different to envelope settings and modulation. This one sounds particularly good with the Sub Osc mixed in. Brilliant job by Brian.

Yeah that's the cart I've been waiting for. Seems like such an obvious and perfect match for the Avalon.
MATSmile
I'm really curious about upcoming synth from Abstrakt. One vco on Avalon just doesn't do it for me. I sure hope it utilizes those filter cards as well.
ngarjuna
If I remember correctly once upon a time Brian said something along the lines of the reason for filter cartridges was so that later Abstrakt synthesizers could utilize them too.

I'd love to see what he's got in the works, really in love with my Avalon (still).
heckadecimal69
yep the r:ota is juicy as hell, so resonant
anselmi
CF3 wrote:

heckadecimal69 wrote:
yep the r:ota is juicy as hell, so resonant

demoooooo!!!! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
xonetacular
Yeah I would love to see an expanded version of this synth, 3 oscs and full envelopes with the same sequencer/filter cards.

It's tempting but still seems too limited now
CF3
xonetacular wrote:
Yeah I would love to see an expanded version of this synth, 3 oscs and full envelopes with the same sequencer/filter cards.

I'm 100% in for a full synth. Especially if it uses the carts.

As far as Avalon being "limited"..... It's a bass synth, it's supposed to be limited. Compared to the 303 it's downright complex. The audo in + cv out make injecting external oscillators into the mix super easy. Braids super saw thru Avalon is.... love
xonetacular
It's very nice, and with filter carts it's beyond a 303 clone so I would like more out of it especially costing more than twice as much as other 303 clones. An extra oscillator would go a long way.

I'm still tempted by one though but it's hard to justify the price for what it offers at the moment.
ngarjuna
Like CF3 I've found adding auxiliary oscillators is super simple with CV out and EXT in. I almost wouldn't want to waste the panel space when, instead, I have an easy way to integrate one/some of my many VCOs and all of the features that come with them.

That said I might have made the modulation envelope a 4-stage; or, barring that, included a way to turn off the normal envelope and leave an open CV IN to the VCA and/or filter. With that and the carts it would open things up more.
davidjames
I've described my use of the Avalon in another thread, but with the connectivity its a total beast.

Avalon V/oct out > eurorack oscillator
Avalon saw/sq out > FM euro osc or something else
euro osc > avalon audio in, mix with internal osc if you're in the mood
avalon vca out > eurorack effects
avalon sweep out > modulate or trigger something

bonkers.
davidjames
Does anyone know how to reset the sequencer if its being MIDI clocked? If I make a 12 step sequence, for example, and I want to reset it every 16 bars while running. Right now I have to stop the MIDI clock and restart it, basically stopping the whole song. Also I like to change the length of the pattern on the fly, which just makes a mess of the sync, so a reset is necessary at certain points.
stainers
xonetacular wrote:

I would have loved another osc, it's one thing that made the 777 pop, but as with Brian's intention - it's the limitations that make it and in combination with the mod envelope and the sequencer it does get complex.
As mentioned before, it feels like a whole instrument, I'm keen to see what he does next but I still wouldn't part with the Avalon
noisejockey
Entirely Avalon, plus effects.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/noisejockey/burning-horizons[/s]
Elephantbud
Very nice track! I was hoping it could do more than 303 acid stuff.
One of the first good demo's of the avalon I heard so far.
Thanks for posting! applause
noisejockey
This was also done entirely with the Avalon Bassline, in three layers, with effects in post.

emoji
Has anyone experienced an issue getting their accents to trigger? I see it's programmed on the step like expected, but the LED or function never seem to trigger. When I first got the unit I clicked around on it like an idiot and wonder if I may have disabled something, or if it's just a defect with the unit.

Thanks
trappywappy
Are you sure the accent or accent decay are turned up?
emoji
I've tried with a variety of settings. Again can see the step is programmed with accent but the accent light never triggers.

Sadly enough it was working one evening over the weekend but seems to be having issues again. Not ruling out user error, but I don't see any hints in the manual.
rean1mator
anyone slaving their avalon to ableton?

having the hardest time getting my avalon to sync properly when slaved to ableton over both usb and/or midi.

the sequence on the avalon is choppy and sounds off.

I know ableton drifts alot but all my other hardware(social entropy, rytm, monomachine, analog keys, dx200, matrixbrute) syncs well enough that i don't notice.

when use my rytm as master with the avalon connected over midi to the rytm, it syncs perfectly.

i even set it up so that avalon is syncing from rytm which is synced to ableton and it's still a problem. it's only when i introduce ableton as teh master is where i see the issue.

UPDATE:
The one thing I didnt' try was using my motu express 128 midi interface.

when i connect my avalon to the midi interface it syncs fine. weird.
DiscoDevil
I have a few issues with mine.

It responds to ALL program change messages, even those not on the midi channel it's set to. I have to bring a Midi-Din sync convertor to use the Avalon live because it responds to every PC I send out. A way to filter out PC messages would be nice.

My resonance knob crackles and did so within a month or so of getting it.

If I try to use it as a midi module, it sporadically stops responding to any midi messages. Sometimes it happens within a few minutes, other times it's several hours. Turning it off and on restores it.
m:o
DiscoDevil wrote:

i got also a crackling reso knob. After ahving no succes in getting in contact with Abstrakt Instruments (2 Support Tickets, 3 Messages on Facebook) i finally contacted Schneidersladen for support. They ordered a Poti for me and will make the service, once it is there (i`m in Germany)

Maybe contact your nearest Avalon Distributor?

by the way, their support is ridiculous bad and absolutely not toleratable for a high price product.
cake100
meek! wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

i got also a crackling reso knob. After ahving no succes in getting in contact with Abstrakt Instruments (2 Support Tickets, 3 Messages on Facebook) i finally contacted Schneidersladen for support. They ordered a Poti for me and will make the service, once it is there (i`m in Germany)

Maybe contact your nearest Avalon Distributor?

by the way, their support is ridiculous bad and absolutely not toleratable for a high price product.

The best way to contact them is through the phone. Usually, you'll leave a message with someone and then there is a good chance Brian who runs it will call you himself soon after. He would probably solve your issue. You will also be able to ask him about new Abstrakt products in the pipeline like drum machines a polysynth and euorrack modules too..
computer controlled
Isn't there a way to just clean the reso pot when it crackles?
DiscoDevil

Probably. The fact that it has failed so soon is a problem the manufacturer should fix.
scrunday
DiscoDevil wrote:

Probably. The fact that it has failed so soon is a problem the manufacturer should fix.

I've seen the manufacturer deny its a pot-related issue, I think on Facebook. However, there's no denying that turning the resonance knob sometimes causes a scratchy sound. Multiple users have experienced this, including me.

I've had my Avalon for a year now, and have only experienced the problem twice, so I don't really worry about it whatever the underlying cause is..
bimbom
DiscoDevil wrote:
I have a few issues with mine.

It responds to ALL program change messages, even those not on the midi channel it's set to. I have to bring a Midi-Din sync convertor to use the Avalon live because it responds to every PC I send out. A way to filter out PC messages would be nice.

I use din sync too , I prefer doing sequences on device but would like to avoid program changes. I have wondered if the rk002 midi lead might be tweaked to avoid passing them through too.

Haven’t used it as midi box much , maybe use a blank pattern while it’s playing from midi ?
pantalones
If anyone's planning to sell theirs, please PM me before i go spend full price on one.
rean1mator
Anyone know whether it's possible to trigger the Avalon from a usb midi controller when the avalon is synced to ableton without hitting avalon's record button?

I can only trigger it when ableton is stopped and record is not pushed on avalon. Once I hit play and Avalon sequencer starts and syncs to Ableton it no longer receives note data.

The only way i can get it to work is to hit the Record button on Avalon but then that starts recording all midi data from my controller immediately.

I want to be able to start the sequence in ableton and then practice some phrases using my midi keyboard triggering avalon and then when i've got a phrase i like, hit record on avalon and record it.
Happyanimal
It’s either listening on USB or DIN, and make sure you select the right source in configuration.
rean1mator
I'm not using usb midi on the avalon. my keyboard controller uses usb midi. I was having too much clock drift and sync problems using usb with the avalon and ableton. the avalon is connected to a motu express 128.

i've got the avalon set up to use midi input from my daw. it's listening fine because i can trigger the avalon when routing my usb controller to it via ableton and when ableton is not running the sequence. it's only when i hit play in ableton to run the sequence where the avalon no longer accepts the midi input.

Happyanimal wrote:
It’s either listening on USB or DIN, and make sure you select the right source in configuration.
davidjames
Anyone know of a good lid/protector for the Avalon? Like a Deck Saver I guess. The avalon should fit well enough in one of those elektron ECC-3 bags https://www.elektron.se/accessories/carry-bag-small-ecc-3/ but I would want an extra layer of protection over the top.
ngarjuna
davidjames wrote:
Anyone know of a good lid/protector for the Avalon? Like a Deck Saver I guess. The avalon should fit well enough in one of those elektron ECC-3 bags https://www.elektron.se/accessories/carry-bag-small-ecc-3/ but I would want an extra layer of protection over the top.

Fits very well in a Pelican 1500. Though not the lightest weight option, no doubt, it's mostly crushproof and water tight.

Probably want to take whatever cartridge out before storing it that way, though. You could tailor the foam to accommodate it but it seems like it would be better to carry those separately (there's plenty of room inside for the [US] power supply and some carts).
rean1mator
I'm still trying to figure out how to trigger teh avaon when syncing to my DAW. Am I the only person that has a need for this? I emailed Avalon and of course no reponse. Am i missing a config somewhere? Seems like a pretty critical and yet basic functionality to me.

rean1mator wrote:
Anyone know whether it's possible to trigger the Avalon from a usb midi controller when the avalon is synced to ableton without hitting avalon's record button?

I can only trigger it when ableton is stopped and record is not pushed on avalon. Once I hit play and Avalon sequencer starts and syncs to Ableton it no longer receives note data.

The only way i can get it to work is to hit the Record button on Avalon but then that starts recording all midi data from my controller immediately.

I want to be able to start the sequence in ableton and then practice some phrases using my midi keyboard triggering avalon and then when i've got a phrase i like, hit record on avalon and record it.
goldplate
Disable either clock receive or send when you send notes, then enable again when you want to record them into the Avalon sequencer.
Panason
Can you play the patterns using MIDI notes? and jump from one pattern to another at any time, while still staying in sync to external MIDI clock?
anselmi
anyway...a semi-modular full-analog 303, with BBD fx and 19 filter types will be released by behringer this year for $199 w00t
skkatter
I just got one of these but either my unit is faulty or the sequencer has a major bug, so I was wondering if somebody could reproduce this for me.

Make a pattern with the upper C in it, and then use "U" on that step to raise the C an octave higher. It'll play fine.

However when you then transpose that pattern up a full octave (press pitch and then the high C again), the C will cut out.

This doesn't happen on a regular TB303 or a TT303, I made a video showing this: https://youtu.be/0Gbm-U1PZ7A

Is this happening to anybody else's Avalon?
tbecker
One of the 3mm white leds isn't working anymore on the note selctors. I have had it for less than a year. Does anyone have an email or better contact for Abstratk Instruments? The flash webform seems to not be connected to anything and so my question has been unanswered for several weeks. Or alternatively if anyone happens to know the mouser/digikey part number for a the 3mm white replacement leds...
bimbom
its a known issue / design choice as they felt it went out of tune ,
it can be triggered externally though.

a few requests on forums are asking that it be trigerable internally , apparently theres a firmware update coming at some point.

details are probably a few pages previous to this on here / on gearslutz forum thread.

skkatter wrote:
I just got one of these but either my unit is faulty or the sequencer has a major bug, so I was wondering if somebody could reproduce this for me.

Make a pattern with the upper C in it, and then use "U" on that step to raise the C an octave higher. It'll play fine.

However when you then transpose that pattern up a full octave (press pitch and then the high C again), the C will cut out.

This doesn't happen on a regular TB303 or a TT303, I made a video showing this: https://youtu.be/0Gbm-U1PZ7A

Is this happening to anybody else's Avalon?
bimbom
Panason wrote:
Can you play the patterns using MIDI notes? and jump from one pattern to another at any time, while still staying in sync to external MIDI clock?

mine changed pattern by using either bank/program change from an external sequencer (elektron in my case) , one of them.
which is something i didnt want , so i now use din sync and sequence on device.

theres an option to turn it off, but i don't think it works atm,.
Panason
You can turn off the program change sending on the elektron box.

Whoever came up with using program changes to change patterns on drum machines was clearly back in the 80s and was thinking of auto-accompaniments, preset machines, General MIDI keyboards and elevator music.
Companies that still follow this convention need to be slapped in the face and then forced to hire people who make something other than formulaic faceless techno.
goldplate
Anyone also get the machine crash when plugging cables in the modular in and outs ? It seems related to the ground/sleeves of sockets.
Modulus
tbecker wrote:
One of the 3mm white leds isn't working anymore on the note selctors. I have had it for less than a year. Does anyone have an email or better contact for Abstratk Instruments? The flash webform seems to not be connected to anything and so my question has been unanswered for several weeks. Or alternatively if anyone happens to know the mouser/digikey part number for a the 3mm white replacement leds...

I've always used support@abstraktinstruments.com or as a backup Brian.castro@abstraktinstruments.com
tbecker
Modulus wrote:
tbecker wrote:

I've always used support@abstraktinstruments.com or as a backup Brian.castro@abstraktinstruments.com

Thanks a bunch!
Modulus
tbecker wrote:
Modulus wrote:
tbecker wrote:

Thanks a bunch!

No problem. Hope you get your issue sorted. Usually they are very attentive if you can get ahold of them smile
geoffmar
do we have some late verdicts on this ? im in the market for a xox style box and its between this or a tt 303? heard a lot of QC issues on these..
stainers
geoffmar wrote:
do we have some late verdicts on this ? im in the market for a xox style box and its between this or a tt 303? heard a lot of QC issues on these..

The real question is whether you should buy two. I just can't imagine anyone who likes 303s not loving this it

QC - These things are rock solid
TT - Has nothing on it soundwise (or anywise)
geoffmar
ill see if i can swap out my dominion club and snag one of these
trappywappy
have had mine since it first came out--rock solid, no problems, sounds incredible. filter carts are just icing on the cake. i would not sell mine unless i had no other choice.
DiscoDevil
I absolutely love mine but it still has a flaky resonance pot and responds to ALL program changes, even those on other midi channels. Those are my only complaints.
ngarjuna
geoffmar wrote:

I'll echo the sentiments above, nothing but rock solid performance from my Avalon from the jump. It's constantly finding its way into tracks, so much that I'm seriously considering a second.

Beyond the obvious, the i/O selection is seriously great, not so much as to be distracting but really gives you lots of ways to interact with other synths. On board offset for the VCF and VCA. The modulation envelope opens up lots of new and interesting possibilities on board. And I never see it commented on but the Tracking knob...holy cow the tracking knob is just perfectly tuned for this instrument; it's probably my favorite bonus feature, I cannot do justice.

I only have one cartridge (R:OTA) and, to be honest, it leaves me a bit cold. There's nothing wrong with it I just don't feel like it brings that much to the synthesizer, it still acts like a 303 with a different filter in the path. It's hard for me to imagine liking the other filters any more. I do get occasional use of it for the weird things it can do, it's certainly not terrible. There was word that the filters were meant to work in future Abstrakt releases (someone who spoke to Brian via telephone said in a thread elsewhere that he's working on the next release) so they might have a bit more use than just in the Avalon. All that said...I seem to never tire of the standard filter.

ETA: I have two minor complaints:
-track chaining is very buggy (mostly doesn't work) in the current OS. There is reportedly a new OS very near to being ready (this summer was the most recent word). But this is a feature I would use all the time if I could get it to work (it's only working currently in the first bank or two apparently)
-the missing high C. I miss it sometimes. I'm not sure why he axed it considering the otherwise detailed fidelity to the original.
geoffmar
I really didn't want to drop 900 more bucks but Im thinkin the avalon is the way to go. Gonna pair it with my digitakt, digitone and a bunch of strymon/chase bliss pedals...
placidhouse
if you can wait (and it seems you might have to since stock seems to be out all around) for perfect circuit to get them back in, they'll have a 10% code for the 4th of july. that will, hopefully, coincide with the rumored update, saving you money and time. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

i seriously doubt you'll regret the avalon. i love mine. i was lusting after the tb-03 and had to keep reminding myself i had a much better thing going. hate when money's burning a hole in yer' pocket. Dead Banana
DiscoDevil
My TB-303 mostly collects dust at this point. The Avalon has fully replaced it.
bimbom
The program change issue is the main reason I use din sync, I hope it’s fixed in the update.

Would be nice to record cutoff in real-time too , but it’s not essential.

I tried recording the midi output of the tt-303 into Avalon , it didn’t quite work , the generate / mutate thing on tt303 seemed decent , some nice results.
gentle_attack
bimbom wrote:
I haven’t posted 100 comments / can’t post in for sale.

That means you can't sell, no just go ahead clog up the other boards with unauthorized FS: postings

nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Miley Cyrus It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
bimbom
I know , but I’m around in other places , sold lots of stuff , hopefully trusted.
If these. Get removed I totally understand.
sduck
No, you're not special. The rules apply to everyone here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34546
gentle_attack
bimbom wrote:
I know , but I’m around in other places , sold lots of stuff , hopefully trusted.
If these. Get removed I totally understand.

I'm glad you're participating in the FUNKSTÖRUNG thread.

Good stuff in there!
anselmi
anselmi wrote:
anyway...a semi-modular full-analog 303, with BBD fx and 19 filter types will be released by behringer this year for $199 w00t

told ya, guys! hihi hihi hihi

anselmi
anselmi wrote:
anselmi wrote:

told ya, guys! hihi hihi hihi

WTF!?!?!?! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQ-aZYA1pN/
Panason
Not really. Looks fun, whatever it is. None of Behringer's synths are really full clones. The D and the Bro-One prototypes are close but neither have keyboards and are much smaller than the originals.
Luap
Panason wrote:
Not really. Looks fun, whatever it is. None of Behringer's synths are really full clones. The D and the Bro-One prototypes are close but neither have keyboards and are much smaller than the originals.

Good lord, really???
phats
Has anyone heard anything about the next os update? I thought I read somewhere it was expected July sometime.
pantalones
Any news?
mdiprima
I just received an email from perfect circuit from LA that they will process a refund from my order from 6 month ago since the company is 'basically out of business'.

What do you guys think?

Should I get a used one or just don't touch it because of no after sales service?
pantalones
mdiprima wrote:
I just received an email from perfect circuit from LA that they will process a refund from my order from 6 month ago since the company is 'basically out of business'.

What do you guys think?

Should I get a used one or just don't touch it because of no after sales service?

Get one, it's still the most amazing 303 i've ever owned and I have a 303 smile

Can you please paste the email PC sent you? I'd like to see the exact text.
mdiprima
pantalones

'The Vendor has been far unresponsive and has finally let us know they're basically out of business. I have cancelled this order for you - and issued a full refund.'
pantalones
mdiprima wrote:
pantalones

'The Vendor has been far unresponsive and has finally let us know they're basically out of business. I have cancelled this order for you - and issued a full refund.'

Thank you for sharing that. How sad. Still, get one.
Friends with Creepy
Damn that sucks. I've been trying to get in contact with that company for months now hoping to get one. Apparently that will never happen :(

Honestly why can't anyone, including roland, make a decent clone of the 303? lol.
ngarjuna
Unresponsive for extended periods...that does sound like Abstrakt. Though I wonder, last fall some folks who spoke to Brian reported another batch of Avalons (for which there still seems to be some demand) and a firmware update were still forthcoming; also that Abstrakt was working on "a new synth." Quite possible that things have changed since then but it also seems plausible that PC just got tired of dealing with Brian. I keep wondering: what does "basically" mean here? If he spoke to Brian then they either are or they aren't or it's not that simple...but "basically" doesn't really demystify anything.

Personally I have hope that said firmware update is coming but we've been waiting so long it's equally easy to believe it's not. Nothing in that update will be world changing for me though I'd welcome a working pattern chaining system (and high C, which I used to not care about...I really miss having that though I've never heard any indication that Brian planned on changing his mind...but this must be one of the most frequent complaints about the Avalon, not that there are many).

Assuming Abstrakt is no more: Is there anybody who is known to work on these things should a fault develop?
cake100
I spoke with him around a couple of years ago now, and he said they had a news synth that was in testing stage which had had positive feedback from those that had played it. It was also filter card enabled he said. He also said a drum machine was on the cards. Spoke with him for about 15 mins on synths and their new stuff. He was very passionate
There is also that gofundme (is it?) thing going on now.

I think the 'basically' shows PC are not 100% sure what is going on.
Panason
So... the only 303 clone maker currently still in business seems to be DINSync. I thought everyone wants a hardware 303. confused
Sir Ruff
Abstrakt is still in business if their kickstarter programs are anything to go by. No idea on the Avalon front though.
Abstrakt
Hi All,

Just to note we are still in business.
(We've been getting emails and calls yesterday and today asking in response to this thread!)
We have had major delays in the 4th Avalon production.
No disrespect towards Perfect Circuit, they have been great. It's simply been a very long time since we've had stock.
ngarjuna
Happy to hear. I'm still pondering a second, personally, I'm still over the moon with my Avalon however many years later.
mdiprima
Abstrakt

Thats great news! I placed the order with PC in September 2018. Can I directly order with you and whats your expected ETA?
Abstrakt
mdiprima wrote:
Abstrakt

Thats great news! I placed the order with PC in September 2018. Can I directly order with you and whats your expected ETA?
I don't want to promise an ETA as I don't know for sure. We don't put them up for order until they are in stock. Perfect Circuit (and SX Pro in UK) get the very first units (they both have a balance of units due) so may be best to keep order with PC.
Snook
Abstrakt wrote:
Hi All,

(We've been getting emails and calls yesterday and today asking in response to this thread!)
No disrespect towards Perfect Circuit, they have been great. It's simply been a very long time since we've had stock.

Great to know!
It's peanut butter jelly time!
Can you give us an update on repair requests (under warranty) and how long it may take to process those? (mine has had 2 fairly serious faults for most of the time I've owned it).

Thanks
scrunday
Snook wrote:
Abstrakt wrote:
Hi All,

Great to know!
Can you give us an update on repair requests (under warranty) and how long it may take to process those? (mine has had 2 fairly serious faults for most of the time I've owned it).

Thanks

Seconded! I have an outstanding warranty claim submitted via email that I hope gets a response at some point.
Abstrakt
Please send a PM and I will get it sorted.
We work on warranty repair units regularly and turnaround time is generally fast but can vary greatly depending on what's going on. I can respond with more details via PM.

Brian.

Snook wrote:
Abstrakt wrote:
Hi All,

Great to know!

Thanks
sparks
Abstrakt wrote:
Hi All,

Glad to hear it! Miley Cyrus
Snook
Hey Brian,

Thanks, much appreciated. I have sent you a PM outlining the 2 issues.

Abstrakt wrote:
Please send a PM and I will get it sorted.
We work on warranty repair units regularly and turnaround time is generally fast but can vary greatly depending on what's going on. I can respond with more details via PM.

Brian.

Snook wrote:
Abstrakt wrote:
Hi All,

Great to know!

Thanks
Decurion99
Dear Brian

I hope you read this! Any chance to buy the Avalon Bassline in Europe?

When will new shipments be ready, if at all?

Many thanks for shedding some light into the availalibity!

Best
P.
Cedrik Ha
Great to know that there will be more avalon basslines in the near future smile But I'm also curious if retailers in the EU(schneiders?) will stock them again too?
anselmi
thanks god the company is in good shape!

Brian, I wrote you a mail some days ago
bimbom
Decurion99 wrote:
Dear Brian

I hope you read this! Any chance to buy the Avalon Bassline in Europe?

When will new shipments be ready, if at all?

Many thanks for shedding some light into the availalibity!

Best
P.

if you read the posts from Abstrakt on the previous page he comments on this.
vonbeak
Hey, I saw some more people having trouble with their resonance pot, mine is noisey/crackly too. It started after a year or so.

Some people got replacement parts from abstract instruments but their contact section on the website doesn't seem to be working..

Anyone knows how to get in contact with them or which potentiometer the unit needs so I can find a replacement myself?

Thanks!
geoffmar
Whatre the odds i can finally buy one? Been waiting for stock for about 8 months now.

Don't really want to have to settle for a TB-03 but i probably will if i can't find one of these in the next few months
maltemark
Anyone had any problems with a seemingly fucked VCA section issue on their Avalons? This is what happened to mine while unplugged for a few weeks...

I had good help from Avalon HQ a year back or so, when it turned out I had received a unit with a misaligned backside jumper PCB. I got an RMA, could send it to you, an got it back fixed promptly, and it has been working well (aside from OS 1.6 bugs) since then. Took like 3 months for initial response, but much appreciated the help when I got it.

However, as mentioned earlier, it now seems that there is a major problem with the unit. When turning it on last week, I only get the VCA on/off clicks from the headphone and main outs.

When plugging audio cables into the VCO outs, it seems to be working fine. The VCA direct out exhibits the same on/off clicking behaviour.

Switching between the internal filter and a two different filter cartridges doesn't make any difference to the situation.

Turn the VCA mod env depth and the vca decay knobs change the character of the on/off clicks, but still no VCO or filter sounds.

Turning up resonance to max and twiddling cutoff an other controls doesn't make any difference either.

Urgently requesting directions for what other tests I can help you with to provide diagnostics to the problem. It seems that there is something broken between VCO and VCF or from the VCF to the VCA?

I don't seem to make much headway on my own about this, so have tried the (I guess possibly futile) e-mail route us europeans have to use to try to get help with service... But want to know if this is a known issue
stalfosia
maltemark wrote:
Anyone had any problems with a seemingly fucked VCA section issue on their Avalons?

Yeah, I had this exact problem with my Avalon.
I never got a full explanation from Brian, but I had the same experience with the clicks... and VCO/VCF non-response.

I returned my Avalon to California (Brian) and it was fixed. It took a few months... but he got it back to 100% working condition.
I have since sold my Avalon, but the new owner hasn't complained. applause
maltemark
Avalon instruments got back to me, and since my Bassline was upgraded to a later PCB when I had it repaired the last time, they'll send a replacement VCA to see if socketing this one instead of the old one can fix the issue. Hopefully it will click less heavily than this one - I remember the vca being much cleaner (but still with some 303 noise) on the first revision Avalon I had repaired. Surprised at the quick turnaround in the reply!
heckadecimal69
Call me, Brian sad banana
DiscoDevil
Some of the LEDs on mine have started to flicker or go dark periodically. Anyone else experience this?
heckadecimal69
DiscoDevil wrote:
Some of the LEDs on mine have started to flicker or go dark periodically. Anyone else experience this?

Not here. Have you tried changing the dimness setting via the OS?
I have my blues turned all the way down and I can still see them burned into my retinas forever and ever amen.
DiscoDevil
heckadecimal69 wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

Not here. Have you tried changing the dimness setting via the OS?
I have my blues turned all the way down and I can still see them burned into my retinas forever and ever amen.

Yeah, I have them turned down. These just turn off completely or flicker here and there. It's sporadic. Sometimes works perfectly for days/weeks and then I'll look at it and all of the LEDs in the lower half of the machine will be off or some will blink in and out. Grrrr
anselmi
all this stories made me to not buy the avalon...a shame, because it´s looks like a great product, but I can´t deal with issues like this from my country
Abstrakt
DiscoDevil wrote:
Hi, this is not normal. are you talking about the step LED's or the other LED's (they're on separate interfaces)?
computer controlled
anselmi wrote:
all this stories made me to not buy the avalon...a shame, because it´s looks like a great product, but I can´t deal with issues like this from my country

The only issue i've had is the noisy reso pot, but that was fixed with some LPS-1.
Abstrakt
DiscoDevilHi,
I posted a reply on the thread. Let me know know details on what's going on with the LED's and I'll get it sorted.

Regards,
Brian Castro
Abstrakt Instruments
DiscoDevil
Abstrakt wrote:
DiscoDevilHi,
I posted a reply on the thread. Let me know know details on what's going on with the LED's and I'll get it sorted.

Regards,
Brian Castro
Abstrakt Instruments

Brian

I appreciate the response. I'll send you a PM with the details. Thanks!
rean1mator
So What's the story on the filter cartridges other than the ladder and SEM?

• R:OTA Low Pass Filter
The R:OTA filter is based on the classic Roland OTA design used in several of the classic SH and JP-series synths. Includes 12dB and 24dB Lowpass modes.
• 4075 Low Pass Filter
This filter is true to the design of the Arp 4075 low pass filter and includes 12dB & 24dB modes.
• Wasp Multimode Filter
An accurate surface mount version of the Wasp 12dB multimode

I've been on the look out for these forever and they just never pop up for sale new or used. wouldn't mind getting my hands on the wasp filter.
heckadecimal69
rean1mator wrote:
So What's the story on the filter cartridges other than the ladder and SEM?

• R:OTA Low Pass Filter
The R:OTA filter is based on the classic Roland OTA design used in several of the classic SH and JP-series synths. Includes 12dB and 24dB Lowpass modes.
• 4075 Low Pass Filter
This filter is true to the design of the Arp 4075 low pass filter and includes 12dB & 24dB modes.
• Wasp Multimode Filter
An accurate surface mount version of the Wasp 12dB multimode

I've been on the look out for these forever and they just never pop up for sale new or used. wouldn't mind getting my hands on the wasp filter.

Only the Ladder, R:OTA, and SEM are available so far. I've got them all. They're great, they're what you'd expect. Much different responses each, some real screeching resonance with the R:OTA and Ladder. SEM is my favorite with the BPF and HPF modes and I really just enjoy that filter sound. With the filter offset attenuverter for the filter frequency and/or tracking control on the Avalon, it really makes the voice quite modular and wide-ranging.
genetix
Im an idiot! While rearranging the studio I plugged the AKAI Force 19vAC cable into the AVALON and now it won't power on very frustrating

Could I have fried the unit or is there a fuse in the unit/PSU?

I appreciate any help in advance!
heckadecimal69
There is a fuse, earlier serial numbers had one that blew more often. Happened to me while using a power inverter in a motorhome d'oh!

Brian replaced it and threw in a spare in case. And newer Avalons have a better rated one.
efexx
Glad that Brian is active again. Love my Avalon. No problems so far.
spudboyblues
Anyone know if these will be in stock anywhere anytime soon? PCA doesn't even seem to display them on their website anymore. Is used the only bet at this point?
phats
I'm holding out for another production run. Brian is still active and the company recently did the Oberheim thing. There's a bit of info on GS and FB as well.
sl1200mk2
spudboyblues wrote:
Anyone know if these will be in stock anywhere anytime soon? PCA doesn't even seem to display them on their website anymore. Is used the only bet at this point?

Brian recently posted on the FB group that another production run is way behind, but due for "summer" this year. The hardware will be the same revision, but he mentioned a firmware update.

They do pop up fairly regularly for sale, but usually pretty outrageous (IMO) pricing -- think $1800 plus. I was lucky enough to find exactly the color/LED combo I wanted on Ebay that was literally new (unused) at a premium albeit fair price (again IMO). I've seen one since sell for $949, so they are out there if you're diligent, but have to act fast.

I've also been able to find a SEM cart used and the Ladder Filter from Perfect Circuit, but still on the hunt for a R:OTA. I'm glad to hear Brian is doing another run and hopefully that includes cartridges as well.
Sureno
Hah yup I just paid $1800 only for Brian to post about the new os (and possible run)a day later. Swings and round abouts hey

On a side note does anyone know the production run numbers of when revisions where changed etc?
mor4sso
just got a killer deal on one of these with a scratchy reso pot. been on the hunt for a while

is this pot something i can scoop on digikey or mouser? cant wait w00t
pantalones
ha, so you bought the one for $700?

no, you should have done your research first. Gotta contact Brian. Looks like someone already answered you on FB though.
stainers
For those who missed the FB announcement — New OS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 16