MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular delay?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Modular delay?
snoop
Anyone know anyone that makes a 5U Delay, good quality, not modcan (many months waiting list...). Need it pretty soon. Could be either analog or digital. I can`t find any!!
NV
COTK makes a delay that people have found favorable. Note that even though it's called the C1680 "Analog" Delay, it's actually a digital module.

Also note that if delivery times are a problem for you, COTK may not be the best option. You might get it within a few weeks, or it may take longer than ModCan.
ach_gott
COTK makes one, not analog (though they claim it is). That's about it. The Blacet Time Machine was issued in a 5U format, but they sell for a pretty penny these days when they sell at all.
bwhittington
snoop wrote:
Anyone know anyone that makes a 5U Delay, good quality, not modcan (many months waiting list...). Need it pretty soon. Could be either analog or digital. I can`t find any!!

If you (or anyone else) would like a 5U panel for converting a Behringer digital delay pedal, I picked up two of the ones Dana Countryman did last year but still haven't even ordered the pedals (only $30 each). It's a pretty simple project, though the finished product as Dana suggests it be built looks a bit sloppy behind the panel. I think the panels were a hair over $30 shipped a piece. I'd sell them for my cost if anyone is interested.

Otherwise, there is the (also digital) COTK delay and the Modcan one. Not sure of any others in 5U.

Cheers,
Brian

snoop
Thanks for the info. Regarding COTK, i never delt with them, only because i have heard so much negative about them regarding delivery times. But the modules seem pretty good. And thanks on the Behringer offer, but not quite what i`m looking for when it comes to quality (having heard many behringer products.) But it`s cheap!
bwhittington
Yeah, the Behringer mainly wins for price and availability. I hopped on the panel bandwagon after noticing that Mr. "kindredlost" Ryle had a pair of the pedals in one of his videos, but one less thing in the project bin sounds pretty alluring to me now.

A couple folks here have and like the COTK one, but even if it were guaranteed to work when it arrived, the Modcan one would likely get to you as quickly.

Cheers,
Brian
sandyb
imho get a modcan.
waiting is an underrated activity smile
snoop
Yeah, seems like modcan is the way to go. Came to think of it, i love waiting. Respose from COTK came quick though... one week delivery, we have it in stock. The delay sounds better than anything else.

Hmmm.... Can i trust this?
NV
sandyb wrote:
imho get a modcan.
waiting is an underrated activity smile

My thoughts as well. ModCan and COTK both have wait times - at least with ModCan you get reliable estimates. Wait times are sort of a fact of the 5U format, as it functions less on a distributor model (like euro) and more on the isolated manufacturer concept.

Plus the fact that COTK clearly labels their delay as analogue when it's actually digital sort of rubs me the wrong way. I have no problem at all with digital delays and generally prefer their versatility over analogue, but I'm not keen on false advertising.

snoop wrote:
Respose from COTK came quick though... one week delivery, we have it in stock. The delay sounds better than anything else.

Honestly, I wouldn't. COTK has a long history of saying the same thing to prospective buyers. I don't doubt that you will eventually get the module, but there's no telling if it will be a few weeks or a few months or more, and communication in between has historically been rather spotty.
thermionicjunky
The Modcan digital delay is extremely high-quality, versatile and designed from scratch. Doesn't the COTK use a prefabricated delay IC? The waiting period for Modcan has gotten longer but I've never heard of anyone getting screwed by Modcan. That's why they have so many orders to wade through.
bwhittington
snoop wrote:

screaming goo yo
Mr. Green
hihi
d'oh!
meh
Snowman
BOOM!

NO!

Russian Roulette

Cheers,
Brian
snoop
Damn, COTK seems so responsive...

Funny, searching for COTK + delay trying to get more info on the module gives me a rather different kind of info than what i was searching for...
bwhittington
Yes, ordering a delay from COTK might be the ultimate act of irony.

The word on the street is that Kazike will answer your emails right up to the point where you send him money.

Cheers,
Brian
drewtoothpaste
Order from Modcan and be assured that if he says it will be 3 months, you'll get an email in almost exactly 90 days saying your module has shipped.

I wish synth.com would make a BBD or CV-able digital delay module, I'd buy two (not an exaggeration, I want CV'ed stereo delay.)
megaohm
drewtoothpaste wrote:

I wish synth.com would make a BBD or CV-able digital delay module, I'd buy two (not an exaggeration, I want CV'ed stereo delay.)

What kind of sound quality would be required?

I've had a design for a pretty trashy VC delay (uses PT2399) but have never moved on it because it's kinda dirty. I like it but I may be in the minority. Delays up to approx 2 sec. Starts loosing bandwidth or noise increases steadily once delay time goes beyond approx. 200ms. Whether the bandwidth is cut or noise increases is set with a jumper.
Very LoFi.

p.
dude
don't be afraid of modcan! best modules around and even when he told me it could be pushing 5 months for my order, it still got to me in less than 2 months.
drewtoothpaste
megaohm wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:

What kind of sound quality would be required?

I've had a design for a pretty trashy VC delay (uses PT2399) but have never moved on it because it's kinda dirty.
p.

Personally, I'd like a clean delay - a digital delay with CV'able clock would be great for what I wanna do. But if you want a PT2399-based delay for your own system, why not build it?
megaohm
drewtoothpaste wrote:

But if you want a PT2399-based delay for your own system, why not build it?

Done.

The question for me was whether to do a run of them.

p.
NV
dude wrote:
don't be afraid of modcan! best modules around and even when he told me it could be pushing 5 months for my order, it still got to me in less than 2 months.

I was about to say the same thing. I don't think I've ever heard of ModCan going over their estimated delivery dates, but I have heard a number of times where they shipped early. Better to estimate a late date and be early than the other way around.
Henfield
FOH has a digital delay that he just introduced into euro, but he plans on releasing it also as a "barebones" pack, which can easily be ported into 5U. This will include a completed PC board with mta headers for the jack and pot connections. The board can handle +/- 15 V, and there is a MOTM style 4 pin power connector on the PC board. The pack will have the pots, jacks, and connectors (although I think that he charges a little bit more the 1/4" jacks). You will see a couple of threads on this in the FOH forum under the Manufacturer's section on Muff's. It would be great if someone would make a Dotcom or MOTM faceplate for this and other FOH barebones packs (Plague Bearer and Choices joystick)!! (STG, what about making some of these!!)

The other option is to get the Euro to 5U adapter that Curetronics offers and get a Doepfer or other Euro delay module.
JohnLRice
The first time I ordered from COTK was for the C1670 Ensemble Generator. They were responsive and said they had it in stock. From first contact to receiving the module the time was less than a month. I think that was great.

7 or 8 months later I ordered 3 more modules from COTK. 6 months later I haven't been invoiced and obviously have not recieved any of them. (details in another 5U thread)

I do have the C1680 and really like it! I did get it used from a third party though. Here is my demo of the module FWIW:

One feature I wish the C1680 had that the Modcan DD has is externally clockable delay times (drool).
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
Yes, ordering a delay from COTK might be the ultimate act of irony.

Nice one, Brian! lol
dude
you guys are all confusing me....now i want more delay. and can't even figure out what format. i do have one big gaping hole in my row of modcan b. i thought about getting another control but i keep eying that damn modcan delay.... or maybe the flanger. very frustrating
there is a lot of seriously, i just don't get it going on in my pea brain.
JohnLRice
Heh, everytime I let the first demo on the Modcan 59B page run for a while, I almost call up and order the thing! (not ready to start getting in to Modcan . . . yet! hyper hihi )

Listen to the soothing sounds and let it take you over . . . .
http://www.modcan.com/mp3/Digidelay/Digital%20Delay%20filtered.mp3
dude
oh john u r killin me. at least it won't get discontinued for a while. i can drool on it intermittently...until the right opportunity. it sounds soooo good. and i think karplus is apparently possible with it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4