MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digidesign Turbosynth in 2010. modern equivalents?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Digidesign Turbosynth in 2010. modern equivalents?
joey
So I've been really into early NIN lately and been itching to get something similar to that nasty waveshaped guitar and synth sound trent has all over the place on TDS and broken. I know turbosynth was a major player in this sound, as well as the use of zoom amp modelers, but it gets me wondering: Being that turbosynth is unique, what products today do similar things? what can get me close to "that" sound in a sense. I already have tons of distortion/waveshaping/bitmangling gear (sherman filterbank 2, devi ever bit mangler, audio damage kombinant) to name a few, but it never gets that close, and some of the features i've read about turbosynth are pretty crazy, such as the "convert sample to oscillator" feature.

so in a nutshell:

what is the modern equivalent of turbosynth?
meridic
there are some things in linux land that remind me off it abit, but they do not sound like it much at all. Personally I think part of the sound of programs like turbo synth is the limits they had to work within. Computers were slow and inefficent, programers had to be really creative and make every bit count, thats all gone, programmers are wasteful these days.

I can list quite a few old apps that are great for sounds like that, my favorite being Cell Synth, syd was also good as well. But those are also all OS9 apps that few other then myself remember let alone still have.

Someday I will have an old mac again that runs OS9 and I will dig out all those apps and get Pro Tools 3.4.2 up and running on it, life will be good. Anyone else snag the free copy of ProTools 3.4.2 way back in the latish 90s when version 4 came out?

Oh man, old style protools for recording, micro logic and the great Super Collider 2.x, get those up and running with Turbo Synth, syd and Cell synth, that would be tops.

anyone have a G4 ibook they want to part with cheap? Preferably with an OS9 CD?
parasitk
SlayerBadger!

I actually still use TurboSynth on a Mac running OS 9. For the waveshaping guitar thing the Waveshaper plug in Pluggo (RIP) is close (the "preset" shapes are right out of TS), but not as crunchy (it's cleaner). The waveshaper in MetaSynth is also pretty vicious.

In pedal land, the waveshapers in the Sonic Alienator are quite good (FOLD I - IV, SWAP I - II, etc), just back off the sample rate reduction. Same with the Geiger Counter.

Yet still none of these sound like TurboSynth. To be totally honest the closest thing I've sound to that sound is the Blacet/Wiard MiniWave. I have the Socket Rocket ROM and sending a guitar through it is just awesome. Has more of that dirty TS crunch. Plus it's realtime, and hardware - just add some sort of input amplifier module.

But that's just the waveshaper. love TurboSynth is a package that I don't think will ever be replicated (although it should be relatively easy, right.... right?). sad banana

//Chris
joey
haha parasitik we were talking about this on twitter. I'm hoping there are more suggestions

I may just have to get an old ibook with os9 and load up turbosynth
parasitk
Yeah, I figured that I would add what we talked about here for the sake of completeness! w00t
xpander
getting an OS9-bootable macintosh is really as cool as adding a bunch of synthesizers.

here's an old photo, rocking OS9 on the left:

parasitk
xpander wrote:
getting an OS9-bootable macintosh is really as cool as adding a bunch of synthesizers.

here's an old photo, rocking OS9 on the left:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Nice! I have an old "sawtooth" G4/450 that I use for TurboSynth, MacPod, GrainWave, Th0nk, Syd, etc. Mr. Green
ignatius
i've never used turbosynth so i'm not aware of all its features but there are softsamplers out there that can "convert sample to oscillator". i think ableton's sampler does it... but everyone has their own way of implementing things.

anyway - is there any place to get ahold of turbosynth? i might have a G4 i can make work w/OS9 someday.
parasitk
Ninja
shamann
On Windows, Audio Architect was similar (in spirit at least) to Turbosynth. You can still download it:
http://www.cormallen.com/aa/index.html

Steve Duda, who if memory serves worked with NIN as their protools guy and possibly even their Turbosynth guy, once made a freeware VST plugin called "8-bit shaper" which was inspired by the shaper in Turbosynth. You'd have to search the web for it, but I believe it ran on Macs, too. Although I doubt the Mac version was universal binary.
porterclark
turbosynth runs okay on sheepshaver, an os9 emulator, on my intel macbook pro (2.4 duo)- crashes occasionally but very usable. was given a g5 tower since though which works even better, but still have my eye out for a g4 to really get the love back. i still am partial to os9 after 3 years with an intel mac, and 6 on os x.

remember that video of NIN tracking to like protools 1 on a IIsi or something. manson sans makeup ripping it up. gave up maybe? makes me want to collect old digidesign cards to create a 1996 super computer...
ignatius
porterclark wrote:
makes me want to collect old digidesign cards to create a 1996 super computer...

people give that stuff away so it shouldn't be too hard to do w/a little internet searching.

really, i saw a whole protools mixplus rig w/computer and farm cars and plug ins and digi ad/da for like $1500 once... that was a year or so ago!

old computers are uber cheap.
dkcg
Anyone remember NuBus? eek!

Back when Avid, Digidesign, and Adobe all claimed that their products would be Mac only. hmmm.....

We just came across one of the orginal Quadra950 Avid stations at work (even before PPC chips, I think it was about 25Mhz and was expanded with a PPC coprocessor). Amazing how a vintage computer that cost as much as a car new can't even be given away, however I'm willing to take any vintage synths anyone may want to get rid of.
ignatius
dkcg wrote:

Back when Avid, Digidesign, and Adobe all claimed that their products would be Mac only. hmmm.....

and now Avid is M-audio hmmm.....

dkcg wrote:
, however I'm willing to take any vintage synths anyone may want to get rid of.

i knew this old recording engineer who said that back in the day (like around when the DX7 came out) he saw more than one add from a studio that said something like "yamaha CS-80. if you can haul it away it's yours"
thetwlo
Marcohack!
+ The old Mike Norris SoundMagic plugs!
no OS9 emulator?
porterclark
yeah i still think soundmaker / sound effects is (was) one of the finest programs made. the curves function was so l33t. the soundmagic stuff i think is available as AU now...
dkcg
ignatius wrote:

i knew this old recording engineer who said that back in the day (like around when the DX7 came out) he saw more than one add from a studio that said something like "yamaha CS-80. if you can haul it away it's yours"

Fuck...anyone need their vintage Buchla hauled away? eek!
A guy I work with has a friend who bought up every Moog he could find back when digital hit, I think he said he had a dozen minimoogs at one point. I think he said the most he ever paid for a minimoog was like $800 and he thought that was kinda high.

I got a vintage Mac 8100/100, almost filled to capacity w/ 200 megs of RAM and an 80 meg HD, OS 7.5 installed if anyone needs an old 1st gen PPC NuBus Mac. Even has a FWB Hammer fast-wide SCSI card. applause
Unfortunately, it won't run anything above 7.5
jonkull
Ahhhh...7.5 was a good OS. After that it became RAM hungry bloatware.
joey
sooo.... anyone wanna hook me up with a copy of turbosynth?
essex sound lab
dkcg wrote:

Ohhhh yeah. I had a Radius 81/110 hooked up to a Digi NuBus expansion chassis with a number of DSP farms. I think I was running 32 channels of I/O or something.

Was slick as hell. Ultra-responsive and remarkably stable.
parasitk
joey wrote:
sooo.... anyone wanna hook me up with a copy of turbosynth?

gimme a min...
parasitk
Ninja
xpander
applause
dkcg
essex sound lab wrote:
dkcg wrote:

Ohhhh yeah. I had a Radius 81/110 hooked up to a Digi NuBus expansion chassis with a number of DSP farms. I think I was running 32 channels of I/O or something.

Was slick as hell. Ultra-responsive and remarkably stable.

32 channels in the early-mid 90s was like a god, the digidesign systems they had at work then for dialog editing were 8. I had forgotten Radius made machines back then, for that one year or whatever it was. hihi
The kids today have no idea how good they have it with computers. Cost me about 5G in expansion to my 8100/100 just to get industrial quality compressed NTSC out to tape. Replaced by computers about 200 times faster (100Mhz vs 3.x Ghz x 8 cores), a firewire cable, and a DV cam inside a decade.

I shoulda bought synths back then instead of computers! cry
parasitk
Ahh, vintage software. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2