MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stackable cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Stackable cables?
carygrace
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Occasionally I scream, but that's a whole other matter.

It's ok, nobody will be able to hear you in outer space. Cthulhu
m0rb1d
I also run a Blacet PSU and have stackables running between 3 different, properly grounded systems and have never had an issue. thumbs up
Nelson Baboon
carygrace wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Occasionally I scream, but that's a whole other matter.

It's ok, nobody will be able to hear you in outer space. Cthulhu

Damn
Nelson Baboon
m0rb1d wrote:
I also run a Blacet PSU and have stackables running between 3 different, properly grounded systems and have never had an issue. thumbs up

well, I'm not sure that mine are properly grounded....
slow_riot
Gene, I am quite sure that they are not.

I personally would think it a good time to "go Hinton". Full Power PSU, and some of his interfacing modules (bantam option) to mix in the Wiard, as well as to get around the studio.

I will admit the use of minijack to bantam adapter cables is not as fluid as a complete set of one or the other. The electrical superiority of bantam is such that I would endure a public witch hunt recommending them, however.

The risk of death from electrocution is lower in the US which runs at 115VAC, whereas in the EU naked 230VAC is a lethal hazard. If your Blacet PSUs are screwed onto a wooden or plastic chassis then the risk of you coming into contact with it is minimised.
Nelson Baboon
I just don't understand the danger or how it would be actualized, and what I'd have to avoid.

I"m not entirely sure, if I bought a Hinton, what exactly I'd need to do differently, and connect up differently.

I'm not entirely sure what the risk is, mathematically....

So, I'm not entirely against 'upgrading' but one of the problems that a 'pure' musician like I faces (and mean this simply in that I have NO technical knowledge here) is that it's so hard to get past these technical explanations. one person says, essentially, fuck dude, you're gonna die. and another says - shit - if you're not experiencing problems, don't worry about it.

And I can't really evaluate the difference, in terms of what I should do.
slow_riot
If the PSUs are screwed onto a plastic or wooden frame, then it would be really quite an exceptional risk that live voltage found it's way onto the synth. Avoid fluids near the PSU.
Nelson Baboon
frames seem to be metal (isn't that what they come with?)

Liquid is single malt scotch.
slow_riot
but what is the PS attached to?

On a frac rack the PS is attached to the frame which is then attached to the modules. But on the Wiard the PS might be screwed onto wood with only the modules connected to the frame.
Nelson Baboon
sorry - don't understand. the cables go from the module to inside the psu.
slow_riot
physically attached to I mean.
Nelson Baboon
I just don't understand. Sorry.
Muff Wiggler
The anodized aluminum enclosures of the Blacet PSU are not conductive.

Even if they were, the transformer is encased in non-conductive plastic and affixed with plastic non-conductive standoffs.

There's no way (even with the questionable design decision of a lifted ground) that anyone will be hurt by that thing unless they go sticking their fingers inside it.
Nelson Baboon
What about one's tongue? This Wiard really excites me.
thesnow
Nelson Baboon wrote:
What about one's tongue? This Wiard really excites me.
lol
Nelson Baboon
back to stackable cables....

they appeal to me conceptually because of basic workflow issues.

I decide that I want to try to modulate X with Y, and I already have a cable from X to something else. with stackable cables, I simplly make that logic direct. It feels like improvisation - I am implementing my idea directly....

the more I start getting into indirect connections - going via another connection (multiple) - and then having to remember or find that indirection connection, feels like an interruption of the thought process. The ideal on some level is 'playing an instrument'. I play the violin. putting some obstacle in that sonic generation would seem to be a major obstacle. So, I suppose it comes down to personal esxperience and how it works for you.

But for me, the stackable cables are a godsend. whether they can potentially cause issues? that's unfortunate, but I'd rather work this way and hope problems are rare....
slow_riot
I think I will try to support minijacks directly. If you have a solution that works for you I don't want to get in the way and I would like to have you as a customer.

I have the same basic conceptual issue against them. evil
thesnow
slow_riot wrote:
I think I will try to support minijacks directly. If you have a solution that works for you I don't want to get in the way and I would like to have you as a customer.

I have the same basic conceptual issue against them. evil

exciting times for the 300 series with Cary's announcement of new deliciousness in the pipeline and slowriot's mysterious mega oscillator module applause zombie
drumsofd00m
carygrace wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

that's what I'm trying to discern. I have a system that works, but it has worked for maybe 2 weeks or so :)

Rest assured that if 3.5mm jacks were inherently dangerous or evil in some way, I would not be selling them.

I personally prefer bantam too, for a number of reasons, but what is right for the individual depends on the individual situation! There is a choice of jack type because the various advantages/disadvantages of different jack formats will weigh up differently depending upon the user's personal situation.

Power supplies and safety are a SEPARATE issue, and that's the same whatever the connectors are.

FWIW, I think Cary is handling this choice extremely well and customer-friendly. I was interested in bantam too, but couldn't quite imagine how they'd feel outside of the x96 patchbay context (i.e. in a much faster paced hot patching situation) and if it would be worth converting older modules, including several out of production ones. When I bought a handful new modules, Cary first sent me a Sequantizer with bantams which I could then keep or exchange against the minijack version. I decided for the latter for several reasons and may or may not convert the whole system in a few years, depending on its condition and on my finances then. I kept the custom made adapter cables I had bought with the modules, but returned the handful bantam-only cables. This is really good customer service for such a small-scale company. Thanks, Cary!
carygrace
drumsofd00m wrote:

This is really good customer service for such a small-scale company. Thanks, Cary!

You're welcome! Very glad I could be of help!

The way I see it, one of the big advantages of being a small business and hand-crafting instruments is being able to support the customer one-on-one in a way that wouldn't really be possible selling mass-produced objects via a distributor.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2