MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CRUMAR GDS - 2 out 3 World's Surviving Units Now Restored!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CRUMAR GDS - 2 out 3 World's Surviving Units Now Restored!
Hideaway Studio
After many weeks of hard toil it won't be long before both beasts leave my synth workshop for exciting new lives.

Having working so intensely on them for a long time now, it will be very sad to see these early digital wonders go but it has been a true honor to work on something as truly ground breaking as this.

The 1979 GDS (and later 1981 DK Synergy) are direct descendants of the Bell Labs Alles Machine which was developed by Hal Alles at BTL in the mid to late 70s. This all digital instrument was not only a highly capable early digital polyphonic synthesizer but in fact a bank of generic high speed digital oscillators which could be manipulated at a sufficiently high rate that the system was even capable of voice pitch shifting in real time!! (there is a very rare video of Hal demonstrating this).

I will leave you with a picture of the KS GDS in very near completion and looking so very much happier for herself and complete with the original ADDS Regent 20 serial terminal which proved a nightmare to restore in the end (even the picture tube was smashed!):

And two very exciting moments I recorded for posterity.

A live improv of my first patch programmed into the KS GDS in order to test the system for the first time from end to end:

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/the-max-factor

The awakening of Brian Kehew's GDS for the first time in a long time part way through restoration. In this case I had to borrow the KS GDS keybed to make the test recording as over 20 key actuators were broken on Brian's keybed:

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/bk-gds-awakens

CORRECTION: In fact there are 4 known surviving examples.
stk
What a beautiful machine.
Not being a massive synth-head myself I know nothing about it, but am fascinated by early digital instruments. Must've been a trip to have it on the operating table.

Cheers SlayerBadger!
de_raaf
awesome, great job
Morley
Amazing! Wish I could have one.. Will have to do with my Synergy II+
mmp
At one time I owned two Synergy II+s & always lusted after one of these.
Awesome job!
tobb
Looks awesome,thanks for the picture!
Votek_Mendo
Awesome!!!! Simply AWESOME!
I have a Synergy DK 2 here, but i have to send it for repair, never been able to test it in it's full potential.

Do you have a link of the Video you mentioned for the pitch shifting please?
Hideaway Studio
Votek_Mendo wrote:
Awesome!!!! Simply AWESOME!
I have a Synergy DK 2 here, but i have to send it for repair, never been able to test it in it's full potential.

Do you have a link of the Video you mentioned for the pitch shifting please?

Hal Alles very kindly sent me a digital transfer of a video presentation he made in the early 80s at Bell Labs demonstrating the real time pitching shifting/vocoder effects the Alles Machine could perform.

Its extremely rare footage and I'm not even sure it is on the internet. He sent me a couple of other videos - one featuring the late Max Mathews and introducing Laurie Spiegel for an interview about her work at BTL. Laurie kindly sent me another video transfer featuring Roger Powell at the controls of the Alles Machine.

The one video that is available to the public is Laurie's "Improviastion on a Concerto Generator" from 1977 at the controls of the Alles Machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTxNjuYo3II

I'd need to ask them if any of the other videos are publicly available.
Morley
And did I see that RD James has the Alles machine these days?
Votek_Mendo
I have seen the video available on youtube numerous time and would really love to to see the footage your talking about. Im sure a lot of people would be interested in these too.

If you can ask him, that would be really nice of you.

Thanks a lot for sharing you work on this forum.
Hideaway Studio
Morley wrote:
And did I see that RD James has the Alles machine these days?

No... the Alles Machine (or at least its outer shell!) is still at Oberlin College.

The reason for the confusion is that Richard let me post a picture of the Alles Machine a friend of his took recently on my restoration blog:

For those who are interested my original restoration blog is here:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77037&hilit=Crum ar+GDS
Morley
I was wondering how he got it!
Lovely sounding machine.

I mjst admit though that the Synergy II is one of my favorite machines ever. I remeber when I first got it, editing on the machine and seeing the numbers and displays on the Kaypro changing was about as futuristic as it got.
Mine will be back from the doctor soon..and I am excited.
Votek_Mendo
Any recordings /albums made on Alles Machine that i can listen to?
Hideaway Studio
Votek_Mendo wrote:
Any recordings /albums made on Alles Machine that i can listen to?

Really very little in the way of recordings or videos survive and I'm not sure why the other videos Hal and Laurie very kindly sent me don't appear to be in public circulation. With this in mind, its probably not right to make them available without their prior permission.
Votek_Mendo
Keep us updated after asking their permission please.
Thanks a lot!
Very interested in this. love
Votek_Mendo
Hi Morley, what was the problem with your Synergy?
Morley
Votek_Mendo wrote:
Hi Morley, what was the problem with your Synergy?

The serial board was lose, so whenever you shut the lid, the synth locked up. I got the board soldered properly to the mainboard (by Herman at Sherman filterbank who is a friend) and it wouldn't work anymore very frustrating . Perhaps something fried, but I know nothing so it's being sorted at a tech in france who is doing my Fairlights. An expensive little batch of repairs but worth it I hope.
Votek_Mendo
Worth every penny! love
EuterpeSynthesizersLab
Beautiful machines...Great job guys!
electricc
hi...someone can help me in found one Crumar/GDS unit for sale or trade...?? also broken.....??? thanks in advanced
sutekina bipu-on
Those rare videos belong on youtube IMO Miley Cyrus For education
CoreInside
Great job
dkcg
I love how the woodwork on the Crumar far outshines the table it's on. This is a man who knows his priorities! applause thumbs up

I've never heard of one, seen one, it's quite beautiful and looks like a museum piece. we're not worthy
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Very inspiring work! Thanks for posting.
numan7
wow - all i can i think of saying is omg, how beautiful ! we're not worthy

well i do remember being extremely fascinated by wendy carlos' written descriptions of the programming and playing of these wonderfully complex sound machines for her 1980s albums (i seem to recall both gds and synergy were involved with 'digital moonscapes', for example although i could be mistaken - i think i need to re-listen to 'tron' sometime).

cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2