MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Filthy
zerosum
So,

Tell me about the legend of the Filthy Filtre.

What makes it filthy? Is filthy a word you would like to describe it as?

Show me some demos that I probably missed in one of the many great demo piles around.
scozbor
yes please! share the legend with us hihi
i need to make filter decisions!
Kwote
i've been using it in almost every patch i post here soooo......
Muff Wiggler
it's really got this nasty, piercing, kinda unstable resonance, when the resonance is cranked. I think that's what makes it filthy

after reading the press on the MOTM GX filter, I expected it to be really nasty. I figured it was going to be way nastier than the Filthy. No way, it's actually super tame and boring beside the Filthy. I don't really know what the big deal with the GX filter is.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
it's really got this nasty, piercing, kinda unstable resonance, when the resonance is cranked. I think that's what makes it filthy

after reading the press on the MOTM GX filter, I expected it to be really nasty. I figured it was going to be way nastier than the Filthy. No way, it's actually super tame and boring beside the Filthy. I don't really know what the big deal with the GX filter is.

glad to hear. i've been stuck on filthy for awhile and have basically nothing to compare it to but nothing to complain about either. hearing the wiards in person brings on a whole other perspective.

still i may add one more filthy to the setup. two should be more than enough for that one.
Muff Wiggler
Kwote wrote:
hearing the wiards in person brings on a whole other perspective.

most certainly does!!! IMHO nothing even touches them. Boogie for lows, Borg for highs. You just cannot find better sounding filters. Period.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Kwote wrote:
hearing the wiards in person brings on a whole other perspective.

most certainly does!!! IMHO nothing even touches them. Boogie for lows, Borg for highs. You just cannot find better sounding filters. Period.

i still want to build the CGS filters but again Wiard takes the cake. i'm willing to bank on it. in fact i guess i will be literally bankin on it.

my recommendation is get a filthy Zero. it's good fun. especially once you have a Blacet M/X. getting all four outputs mixed sound very nice.
zerosum
Kwote wrote:
i've been using it in almost every patch i post here soooo......

Cool, I have a lot of catching up to do 8) we're not worthy

Quote:
my recommendation is get a filthy Zero. it's good fun.

Definitly SlayerBadger!
It was the first filter I picked out when i made my list for my first rack. almost a year ago eek!

I haven't changed my mind to replace it with something else, even though there will be more filters, it will be my first filter when i get around to filter purchasing time.

I remember doing a lot of research way back then on it, figured I would dig up some more to see why I had that on the top of the list, and was so intrigued by it and refresh my memory.

Quote:

That sounds like my kind of filter. MMMMMMM.....
I imagine that being a lot of fun with a slow clocked binary zone sequence modulating the frequency, hehehe or any Control modulation source 8)
thetwlo
hmmmm... that pic was from my Filthy Filtre on ebay... just never used it, always seemed too clean to me, it gets piercing, but never thought it had a lot of depth or character to the sound. I think the the GX1 filter is a lot dirtier--but I know mine has a couple issues as I bought it used and someone had changed the jacks twice, so maybe mine's especially nasty. I guess the I replaced the Filthy with the Plan B M12-- which I was surprised how much I liked it. I suppose I just usually prefer the vactrol filters and the ms-20-ish ones. The Filthy is a nice sounding and useful filter, but mine wasn't getting any use so... I think it's partially it's where my frac rack is located vs. my euro-rack, so the Blacet stuff doesn't get used-- guess, I should move things around!
Kwote
thetwlo wrote:
so the Blacet stuff doesn't get used-- guess, I should move things around!

or sell me your Blacet stuff. Mr. Green
Kent
Just got a Filthy today. It sounds entirely different in comparison to the MS-20esque filter in the Vostok. I've got some other filters to compare it to, but that will have to wait for another day.

• The Filthy's output is really hot.
• The Filthy really shows its character when the resonance is high and you are sweeping the high frequencies. It gets pretty mental, sounds somewhat stepped, and it compresses and distorts. You can really hear the difference between the two 'Filthy' settings here.
• The CV control options are pretty hot shit. Sweeping the output modes is dope.

O.K. gonna make dinner now!
consumed
i found the filthy to have a lot of character and very bold flavor, with a light hint of hickory and lemon zest.

the motm gx-1 filter has a trimmer on the pcb--this is key! to getting it to be nasty when the res was cranked up. i should have held onto it for a while to experiment with it but as usual i was cannibalizing to try other modules out.
humanfaculties
The FF is awesome. I end up using it all of the time for weird filter effects.....the various mode outputs allow for some seriously flexible patching (like feedback systems stuff), and the sound of the filter is cool. There's some great 'paper-tearing' sorta raspy tones to be had, also scummy phaser-like sounds....it can be pretty mean, or not. Super useful module for a smaller frac set-up, and pretty essential for a bigger one imho.
zerosum
Kent wrote:

Zerosum, you asked for it; you got it. However, it's 7 minutes long!: http://www.upload.muffwiggler.com/Kent/Mini-WaveVsFilthyFiltre.mp3

There are 2 places wherein the digital clocking for my interfaces goes to hell. I comment on it once, but ignore it the 2nd time. It does not happen again in the file. All of the other glitchy weirdness is actually the Filthy Filter itself. I've yet to look at the schematic, but I think he is using the LED diodes for clipping the signal. I suspect that these are partially responsible for some of the 'stepped' sounds that you'll hear.

Very very good demo!

we're not worthy
Kent
Hey, thanks for moving/linking that here. I should have thought of that one.

Please note that, in the above link, the 'K' in "Kent" should be changed to a lower-case 'k'. The link will then work.
wetterberg
gawd, that is one badass demo, Kent! from 4:30 it gets really good - and it sounds like you are having fun too there smile
Kwote
and he sounds like alvin from the chipmunks

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1