MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dotcom Q119 (sequencer) question.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Dotcom Q119 (sequencer) question.
Kendall Station
Hey y'all. So I'm thinking about getting a Q119 but have some questions for those in the know. As it stands I don't have a 5U system and am going to use it with my frac system, therefore I was going to build my own case.

Q: Is the Q119 enclosed in the back at all? I'd like to make something that could be open backed but don't want it too exposed.

also, I've heard synth.com will make stuff with 1/8" jacks if asked....is that true? maybe it was motm.

cheers and thx!
bwhittington
The Q119 is not enclosed at all. The module is only about 3" deep, which ought to give you some mounting options. I doubt very seriously that Roger will make modules with minijacks, but I guess I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Brian

Kendall Station wrote:
Hey y'all. So I'm thinking about getting a Q119 but have some questions for those in the know. As it stands I don't have a 5U system and am going to use it with my frac system, therefore I was going to build my own case.

Q: Is the Q119 enclosed in the back at all? I'd like to make something that could be open backed but don't want it too exposed.

also, I've heard synth.com will make stuff with 1/8" jacks if asked....is that true? maybe it was motm.

cheers and thx!
sduck
I've never heard of Roger adding minijacks, but maybe the robots could be trained?

However, if I recall correctly it's really easy to change them out yourself on a lot of his modules. Someone with a Q119 can check this for me, but on the more basic modules I'm familiar with it's just a matter of disconnecting the wires, replacing the jacks, and rewiring it - nothing's hardwired to the pcb or anything.
nerdware
Just use 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptors. Cheap, simple, and non-destructive. Alternately, use cables with 3.5mm plugs at one end and 6.3mm at the other. Both techniques work well.
kindredlost
Stick one of these next to the Q119. Both can be sold or traded later and nothing is fucked up, er - I mean customized.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q122.html

-David
NV
Adapter panels do the job, but I'd recommend getting direct 1/8"->1/4" plug adapters. You can find them for about $1 each around eBay or at various parts distributors which means you can get 69 for the same price as a DotCom panel with only 8. Plus they don't disrupt the visual, mental, and practical flow of a patch nearly as much as running multiple cables through an adapter panel.

Here's a link to some I found on a quick search of eBay - $1 each: Link
bwhittington
I bet you would have enough room on the Q119 panel to add a 1/8" multiple at each 1/4" jack. That'd be pretty cool. Being "destructive" is part of the fun to me.

If there is a way to make the hole smaller--washers or whatever?--you could switch them out yourself quite easily. As someone said, the Dotcom's MTA connectors make messing with jacks and pots super easy.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
Hi,

The Q119 is a great and fun sequencer IMHO and I miss it, even though I have a couple more powerful sequencers now! woah

Here is a picture of the back of one of my racks while I still had my Q119. (that's it in the top half). I'd think you want something to protect it if you are planning on playing live at least. I put vent panels on the backs of my racks for protection.

As you can see, there is easy access and lot's of room so if you are replacing jacks or adding extra ones it should be relative cake! thumbs up

JohnLRice
Actually, check out how small the circuit board is! I bet if you are really into DIY projects you could make a large FRAC sized panel and replace all the pots and jacks with smaller ones! hyper 8_) That whay you could just have it mounted in one of your standard frac cases!
Kendall Station
thanks for all the responses!

Wow that is a small circuit board....much like my motm frac EG. Too bad there's no back but as its only 3" deep there's plenty of fun to be had fiddling around with design ideas.

I'm feeling inspired to hit up Bryan B. (the guy who made that rad clear acrylic case for his 5U) to help me build something that can act as table top with some way to prop it up as well.

as for the jacks, I figured it was tgtb tru. I've got a bunch of cable adapters but I get sick of lugging those out, might just have to get some plug adapters and have them permanently in the jacks, no biggie.

how about PSU options if this is going to be my only dotcom module (for now)?
JohnLRice
Kendall Station wrote:
how about PSU options if this is going to be my only dotcom module (for now)?

Power: +15V@120ma, -15V@30ma, +5@5ma.

What do you have available now? It's not very power hungry so maybe your existing supply can handle it?

If you don't have the needed voltages and you are OK with PSU DIY pick up one of these NOS Power-One supplies from this guy. I've purchanced a few from him and he ships fast and they are as described:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-One-HTAA-513-5V-or-15V-Out-Power-Supply_W0QQ itemZ200438842228
Sure, kinda big and heavy but hard to beat the price @ $25 shipped! thumbs up
Kendall Station
really not *too* okay with DIY esp for power.

I have 3 racks of Blacet with two blacet PSUs but low on space, I could get another distro board and try the blacet adapter cable but don't think it'll reach.

I would love to do this in a way where I don't have to buy a whole dotcom distro board.
JohnLRice
They are $125 but you could get one of these special wallwarts from Synthesizers.com and just plug it in, no fuss or muss (now that I think of it, I have no idea what "muss" actually is! lol )
http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html

Kendall Station
well there we go, suppose I'll jsut have to start searching the website a bit more...
bwhittington
Take a look at the Moon Modular site, the Dotcom Q962, etc. Lots of great sequencing companion modules out there. If you planned a case for expansion, a 5U sequencing rig could be really awesome. Or, you know, just zip tie the other seven cables and call it a day.

If a Q119 is all you really want, a modification you might talk Roger into is a QPS2 with only one power connector. Less labor, so he might give you a break on the cost. Just speculating.

Cheers,
Brian
drewtoothpaste
Dumb question about the Q119 - I don't see a reset input, how easy is it to get the Q119 to loop after 16 steps?

Can you patch the 3rd-row gate into the Start or Go input to do this?
Scot Solida
Drew: There is a "set end" function that determines the length of the sequence. There is also a switch that toggles between one sequence of 24 steps or three rows of eight steps. Any step can be the "end" step, after which it will return to step 1, assuming you have it set to loop, rather than play as a one-shot sequence.
bwhittington
Looping is achieved via the cycle switch (once/continuous). The sequence also resets when a gate is received at the start or go jack (unless you toggle the hidden "continue" mode). It's actually a pretty versatile little sequencer.

Cheers,
Brian
Attorks
Just wonder if you have considered an Analogue Systems RS200 which to me seems to fit better to what you have although it is EuroRack.
bwhittington
Hey, welcome, Martin! I hadn't seen you on here before.

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
Yeah, Hello to Martin. Nice to read you are here. applause

-David
essex sound lab
Welcome, Martin!

Gordon
JohnLRice
Whoa! woah Martin my friend, I thought you'd already been on Muff's for a while!! A hearty (Lotsa Love) welcome from this major fan of your fantastic sequence laden synth masterpeices!! hyper screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! w00t 8_)
Kendall Station
drewtoothpaste wrote:
Dumb question about the Q119 - I don't see a reset input, how easy is it to get the Q119 to loop after 16 steps?

Can you patch the 3rd-row gate into the Start or Go input to do this?

Yes Drew, there is a "set end" function which is pretty cool, involves touching the button then tapping it to advance the steps to the last one you want, which I'm sure makes it a sort of manual play, which is always fun.

Also, you can reset via the "start" jack. or continue via the "go" jack. Think you may have underestimated the old girl. My big problem was not having gate on/off, but then realized I could take the 3rd row as a gate sequencer.

So Drew, go clean your synthesizer. Clean it five times. And also, the tops of the synthesizer needs cleaning.

mikael
Kendall Station
bwhittington wrote:
Take a look at the Moon Modular site, the Dotcom Q962, etc. Lots of great sequencing companion modules out there. If you planned a case for expansion, a 5U sequencing rig could be really awesome. Or, you know, just zip tie the other seven cables and call it a day.
Cheers,
Brian

It'd be nice to have the other cables there just in case, I don't think it'll be too long before I go the "big knob" route. As for sequencing amenities, I think I am doing quite well, there's still a lot of love in frac-land for that, just not the the power-drivers I'm craving now (though, if I could afford it and wait for it, a few CGS / Metalbox sequential switches would be nice).

Mikeauh;l
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3