MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tape Delay emulation pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Tape Delay emulation pedals
22tape
I'm in the market for a tape delay emulator pedal.

Is the El Capistan still the best of the bunch? Any others I should consider?

I've heard the Empress one is pretty good, but it doesn't have a spring reverb emulation with it, does it?

It doesn't sound like Capistan's spring gets very boingy on any of the demos I've heard. Are there controls for, eh, boingy-ness?

How does the RE20 pedal stand up against the Capistan? Any boingy-ness with its reverb?

Thanks peeps.
glia
i've heard good things out of the cap and re20 but havent used either extensively

imo bugbrand pt-delay is king
twincities
personally the el capistan is my favorite out of what i've played. honestly i don't think any of them really sound like an actual tape delay. it's always pretty obvious when i compare to my own machines at least. but i love the sound that the el cap produces and think it does it's own thing very very well.

the only reverb control is mix. i think the timing/decay is set to kind of match nicely with your delay settings. it's certainly not a reverb pedal on it's own. it's just a nice little bonus that helps with ambiance at times.
dkcg
You might want to check out the Echorec and Belle Epoch by Catlinbread. Basically digital sims of the binson echorec and echoplex. The El Cap is still my favorite pedal, but still falls far short of my RE301 for character. I think the reverb sounds cleaner than the reverb in my 301, but less character and not like real springs.

Strymon recently came out with the Deco which is basically a pair of tape reels type effect, from slapback to flanging with some sort of drive control. Haven't used one yet so I don't know much about it.
EMwhite
dkcg wrote:
You might want to check out the Echorec and Belle Epoch by Catlinbread. Basically digital sims of the binson echorec and echoplex. The El Cap is still my favorite pedal, but still falls far short of my RE301 for character. I think the reverb sounds cleaner than the reverb in my 301, but less character and not like real springs.

Strymon recently came out with the Deco which is basically a pair of tape reels type effect, from slapback to flanging with some sort of drive control. Haven't used one yet so I don't know much about it.

I never much paid attention to the El Cap delay because I was dead set against a DSP emulation and wanted (and never got) real tape (as opposed to reel tape). I don't have either.

But I took a look at the Deco and there is only so much you can gleam from looking at the controls and panel. They all look the same after a while. Watch the 21 minute in depth walk through, done by one of the co-founders of the company. Wow! Now I want one. Should hold me over until Effectrode re-releases the EchoRec.

I've always disliked the simplicity of the LFO based modulation on delay pedals (like Carbon Copy), or even on EchoRec pedal (when I had one) via bottom trim pot; but I think this pedal hits the mark. If anything there are too many controls but I suppose, given enough time with it you can set it up for "a" tape echo that you like the sound of and leave it.

Watch an intro video first, then this:

22tape
great, thanks for the suggestions! instead of pedals, I've decided to go the modular route. i'll be getting a Beauty case or Pittsburgh cell. and instead of tape delay emulations, i'm going for a dirty old bbd sound. i have a Pittsburgh Analog delay on the way.

yeh to my ears, the el cap sounded the closest. it sounds it pretty damn good actually. the one thing that it's missing though is the one thing that I want most from a tape delay-- i'm not sure how to explain it but I guess "smearing" might be a good adjective? like when the tails of the delay become so grungy that the repeats sort of just smear together into almost a droning tone when you bring up the feedback...
YellowBlood
Check this out, I've been thinking of grabbing this myself love

http://www.gurusamps.it/en/products/pedali/echosex-2.html
jazzchaos
This is a more basic tape echo emulator, but it has a very organic sound. not all of the bells-and-whistles of the Strymon, but very nice. The SIB Mr Echo:

http://www.sibfx.com/mrecho.html

I have had good luck with the Akai Headrush as well.

Cheers!

Sean
dang_motu
RE20 all the way!
Vsyevolod
While perhaps not the best of the lot, my HughesKettner Replex has amazing tube tone using a full 300 volts. Best thing I ever did for my acoustic/electric Ovation, and I only sometimes use the tape delay emulation.

Stephen

Bonefish67
It doesn't sound like Capistan's spring gets very boingy on any of the demos I've heard. Are there controls for, eh, boingy-ness?

How does the RE20 pedal stand up against the Capistan? Any boingy-ness with its reverb?

Thanks peeps.[/quote]

boingy-ness=Moog 104m. Here it is boing'ing the shiz out the STO and the Pittsburgh LPG...
[s]https://soundcloud.com/seven-legged-octopus/lpgpng[/s]
MindMachine
^ That is feedback/regeneration that you are hearing. Not so sure if spring emulations do this. The best spring emulations I have heard are the Malekko Spring Chicken or the Boss Fender Spring.

I have the RE20 and it's spring is Okay. Mostly with the echo section. I use it for Dr. Who/Pink Floyd sounds along with the Caitlenbread Echorec. I use a lowly Dan Electro Reel Echo on E-bass (only place it sounds good to me - decent on voice).
Klipspringer
I have a question about the El Cap.

If you turn the repeat down can you get just the tape age and wow and flutter effect without the delay? Strymon says repeat goes to 1, but I'm not sure what that means.

My goal is to get the older tape machine effect and I think I like the overall vibe of the El Cap as opposed to the Deco.

Edit: I found out in another thread that it's an always on echo ... time for a cassette I think.
jheronymo
22tape wrote:
great, thanks for the suggestions! instead of pedals, I've decided to go the modular route. i'll be getting a Beauty case or Pittsburgh cell. and instead of tape delay emulations, i'm going for a dirty old bbd sound. i have a Pittsburgh Analog delay on the way.

yeh to my ears, the el cap sounded the closest. it sounds it pretty damn good actually. the one thing that it's missing though is the one thing that I want most from a tape delay-- i'm not sure how to explain it but I guess "smearing" might be a good adjective? like when the tails of the delay become so grungy that the repeats sort of just smear together into almost a droning tone when you bring up the feedback...

nice! this is pretty much exactly the road I went down with delays. the Analog Replicator is truly wild, especially if you can get some slow complex or semi-random LFO's going on feedback. or throw some extra FX in a feedback loop. possibilities are endless

IMO the capistan doesn't sound like tape however it does pretty well as far as getting at what experimentalists want when they get a tape delay or looper - dirt, smear, kinks, flutter, grungy drones etc. It just doesn't sound like tape at least to me
afterosmosis
I like the El Cap and Belle Epoch, but still want to try an RE20.
ChurchyLaFemme
Not a big fan of the Empresses' interface. Has a great sound but it can frustrating to tweak.
mckenic
This turned my head lately:

SonicState had a demo of it (didnt sound Wet enough for my liking, coulda been a proto) but that has since disappeared!
sduck
Another one to consider is the TC Electronics Alter Ego. While it's got some limitations, some of the echo clones are spectacular - the space echo one in particular sounds great.
chamomileshark
RE20 gets into the right ballpark and it's cheap.
smetak
There's the really thing, if you're into spending a good bit of coin:

http://www.fulltone.com/products/solid-state-tape-echo

http://www.fulltone.com/products/tube-tape-echo
Jaaky
I've used el capistan but it is not much like a real tape echo, just too clean in the delays.
As a replacements for my Roland Space Echo, I find the Boss RE-20 Space Echo quite a good emulation.
MindMachine
chamomileshark wrote:
RE20 gets into the right ballpark and it's cheap.

And will sound awesome with your VCS3 going through it!!!!!
rjungemann
Klipspringer wrote:
I have a question about the El Cap.

If you turn the repeat down can you get just the tape age and wow and flutter effect without the delay? Strymon says repeat goes to 1, but I'm not sure what that means.

My goal is to get the older tape machine effect and I think I like the overall vibe of the El Cap as opposed to the Deco.

Edit: I found out in another thread that it's an always on echo ... time for a cassette I think.

The answer is, yes, you can! If you turn the feedback to 0 and the mix to fully wet, you can get the wow and flutter, BUT there will still be a very short delay to your signal (50ms if I had to guess, but it's been awhile since I tried it).
Starfucker inc.
I use an iphone app fot that

which is totally midi controllable Rockin' Banana!
Morley
sduck wrote:
Another one to consider is the TC Electronics Alter Ego. While it's got some limitations, some of the echo clones are spectacular - the space echo one in particular sounds great.

I agree. I really like mine. Wether it is close to the originals, I can't say but the variety is excellent and they all sound good/different.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4