MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pros and cons to banana conversion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Pros and cons to banana conversion
Phineous
I am awaiting my first Fracrack Blacet rack and wondered whats up with banana conversion?

I plan on buying some DIY kits, so i am interested.

l8r

P
Kent
Pros: No mults needed. The way that bananas mate female/male is pleasing to some.

Cons: Banana jacks are not switching, so you have to add switches on all of the Frac stuff that uses 1/8th inch switching jacks.
DGTom
I like switches. To me there are no cons!

The only thing you need to keep in mind is getting ground to the outside world. Patching banana stuff to & from non-banana is kind of a pain, but YMMV.
Cybananna
DGTom, that's a beautiful system!

I just recently used banana jacks for the first time (my user name has nothing to with the jacks). I do like the feel. It would be a lot of work to convert though so I would say you would have toreally like them to take the effort to convert.
BananaPlug
The frac modules tend to be pretty easy to convert. If you plan to eventually get some banana gear then it makes even more sense but only if you're okay with picking up a soldering iron and doing a little surgery. For me it was the other way around, converting frac and euro gear allowed me to add it to a banana plug system without having to put up with mults, adapters etc.

Quote:
The way that bananas mate female/male is pleasing to some.
hmmm.....
decaying.sine
Cybananna wrote:
DGTom, that's a beautiful system!

I just recently used banana jacks for the first time (my user name has nothing to with the jacks). I do like the feel. It would be a lot of work to convert though so I would say you would have toreally like them to take the effort to convert.

+1 on that. Looks fantastic.
Waz
There are no switched jacks with banana, so you'll have to install a switch to compensate for the switched jacks if they are being used. A lot of people say its stronger signal path and over all less prone to failure (ie reliability). They're right, but is it worth the hassle? That's something you have to decide. I assume Panda3oy (a fellow wiggler) will chime in here. He owns a banana frac and I own a regular euro. We live like 15 minutes from each other, so we've used each others synths. I've even borrowed his. Personally I think it's cool, but it's not worth the hassle. That and the new tip top audio jacks changed my mind about bananafying a system. Don't get me wrong; its pretty slick, I just don't want to disassemble my pristine modules. It scares me to think of it.
BananaPlug
Quote:
Personally I think it's cool, but it's not worth the hassle. That and the new tip top audio jacks changed my mind about bananafying a system. Don't get me wrong; its pretty slick, I just don't want to disassemble my pristine modules. It scares me to think of it.

Though I'm a banana evangelist at heart I agree with that. sad banana

Switching jacks have not been a big issue for me. Some modules don't have any and a lot only have one or two. Some of them are simply not needed because you can stack banana plugs (e.g. normals used to cascade an input to multiple places). At least half the time having the switch feels like an improvement. For an external clock, when I have nothing plugged in the switch becomes a run/stop switch. Or use a 3 position switch and have internal/off/external.

Phineous, if you decide to jump in you can find some practical advice elsewhere on this site. Advanced Search is your friend. nanners
Phineous
Very nice setup DGTom thumbs up

I looked into Tiptop stackable cables, and I would have to agree with Waz. I dont see a need since stacking seemed to be the selling point.
( although I am concerned about frac jack strength with two or more plugs )

I am sticking to 5U & 3U frac format. (for now)

I have lots of learning and building to do before I start conversions.

The good news is I spent 3 years silkscreening while in college.

I forsee some custom panels in the future.

TY for the pics and info SlayerBadger!

l8r

P
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
reselling later might be a pain in the ass.

unless its a module that I must have and cant get anywhere else, I wouldnt buy any bananafied modules.
Phineous
Point well takin'
panda30y
a little late to the conversation and it seems you have made up your mind, but i'll throw in my 2 cents...

Converting isn't difficult by any means, sometimes you have to be creative, but I wouldn't do it if you could get tip top cables. I'm primarily banana because the tip top cables weren't available yet, and I have a large diy serge/cgs system in the works that I want to be able to easily patch with.

I also worry about the resell value, so i'm very careful about choosing which modules to buy. although with more frac users using banana jacks, and bugbrand around that helps to alleviate the issue of selling bananafied modules.

But i do like the ruggedness of banana jacks/plugs, as they instantly make connection, and it's a very secure connection that seems to have a long life span. With ts jacks, i've had issues with dirty jacks and intermittent connections more often, but that's with more "vintage" gear.
the bad producer
I know it is euro, but I did this as I was annoyed with dodgy connections, stack cables didn't exist (they are expensive though compared to banana's) and, to be honest, I like the pretty colours

Most of the Doepfer modules took 10 minutes or less to change, the more complex ones slightly longer... resell value? do I gonna sell IT?!!

I went banana I suppose originally based on cost, I got lots of sockets when they were bringing in the ROHS laws, and I was picking them up for 2p each... Even now, I'd go bananas, maybe it is psychological... I've never enjoyed my modular so much since I converted it...

Charlie

edit: as bananaplug says, a switch is more 'playable' and I when I mean originally, I mean originally when I got into DIY and I started tha making bananafrac...!
parasitk
I prefer switches over switching jacks. I'd rather make the choice myself. I like the immediacy and stability of bananas. Stacking mini-jacks are neat, but simply not the same. Converting Frac modules is stupid easy, and totally worth the effort, IMO. I wish the whole format would just move to bananas as default! nanners
DGTom
nanners I'm really happy with my system now, but, I also sold off lots as I went (before conversion) I really enjoyed the process & it taught me alot, plus I got to makes changes to the modules so now everything is far more tailored to my way of working.

the bad producer wrote:
I was annoyed with dodgy connections

thumbs up This was a big one for me, I know most people don't seem to have any issues with minijacks... but I can't stand them.

the bad producer wrote:
Even now, I'd go bananas, maybe it is psychological... I've never enjoyed my modular so much since I converted it...

Love your euro set-up Charlie, I really need to pick your brain about a few things...

I think if you can get a chance to play a banana system, try it, but, seeing as how your frac will be part of a combo set-up with 5U, maybe stick with stock connectors. Its alot easier to make a 3.5mm to 6.5mm lead.
the bad producer
panda30y wrote:

But i do like the ruggedness of banana jacks/plugs, as they instantly make connection...

and being able to 'play' the sockets by prodding your jack in to the beat... push-it-in-pull-it-out-bzzz-thweep-bzzz-thweep...etc

DGTom wrote:
nanners I'm really happy with my system now, but, I also sold off lots as I went (before conversion) I really enjoyed the process & it taught me alot, plus I got to makes changes to the modules so now everything is far more tailored to my way of working.

Totally agree, I learnt alot and got rid of everything I knew I could or would be interested in making for mysellf, how I liked and for less...

DGTom wrote:
Love your euro set-up Charlie, I really need to pick your brain about a few things...

Thanks! and good luck - pick away, there's nowt there!

DGTom wrote:

I think if you can get a chance to play a banana system, try it, but, seeing as how your frac will be part of a combo set-up with 5U, maybe stick with stock connectors. Its alot easier to make a 3.5mm to 6.5mm lead.

I made quite a few modules that could be regarded as 'effects' in bananafrac with 1/4" connectors too, for ease of interface with other stuff in the studio (like visiting bands who have too much cash!) mostly Juergen Haible's circuits like the Solina Chorus (cue gratuitous insertion of a lemon picture!)

Charlie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1