MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Performance 'Presets' for the 3TrinsRGB+1c
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Performance 'Presets' for the 3TrinsRGB+1c
Dirty_Bill
I had an idea for quick patch switching with the 3Trins during my last show. It's too tricky to re-patch on the fly in dark venue in a crowded rig.

I grabbed some DIP header stock today at the surplus store and soldered up a prototype of a simple 'Music Easel' style patch card:

The sky's the limit with these, although soldering directly to the headers is a bit fiddly. It's easy to swap in and out on the fly...

I also grabbed some angled header strip from the bin, you can actually play theses with lotioned (hey, no wisecracks twisted ) fingers ala Ciat-Lonbarde sandrode-style ear....

Cat-A-Tonic
very cool 8_)
sync24
great tips, I need to mess about with mine more!!!
thanks smile
cephalopod
This is a great idea. Still working out the kinks with my build, but definitely going to pick some of these up.
giantmecha
Wow, such a great idea. Load 'em up like game cartridges!

Gonna grab some of these online. What's the header/model I'm looking for, exactly?
alka
Great idea!

giantmecha wrote:
Wow, such a great idea. Load 'em up like game cartridges!

Gonna grab some of these online. What's the header/model I'm looking for, exactly?

You can trim these down: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/pin-headers/2x40-pi n-2-54-mm-double-row-pin-header-strip.html

Or alternately, you can create a solderless version using this:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/pin-headers/2x20-pi n-2-54mm-double-row-female-pin-header.html
Dirty_Bill
alka wrote:

You can trim these down: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/pin-headers/2x40-pi n-2-54-mm-double-row-pin-header-strip.html

Or alternately, you can create a solderless version using this:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/pin-headers/2x20-pi n-2-54mm-double-row-female-pin-header.html

I cut down some 2x80's from my local surplus house. they ended up costing my about .50 US each...

These are .1 inch spacing (same as PATA hard drive header concepts, I believe)
f4c3v4lu3
This is great! I knew I hung on to all those old extra headers from a circuits class for a reason...
Dirty_Bill
f4c3v4lu3 wrote:
This is great! I knew I hung on to all those old extra headers from a circuits class for a reason...

I also ended up wiring in some caps and resistors on a few, sky's the limit!
f4c3v4lu3
Woah, cool idea! Have you tried using any photocells?
Cobramatic
Dirty_Bill wrote:
f4c3v4lu3 wrote:

I also ended up wiring in some caps and resistors on a few, sky's the limit!

Brilliant!
This is pure genius - a simple and very clever idea! applause applause applause
I'd love to see some examples of the headers with other components on them too.
for example - how are you using a capacitor and what does it do exactly?
FetidEye
you can use a capacitor as a slew (on the lfo or other outputs)
Cobramatic
FetidEye wrote:
you can use a capacitor as a slew (on the lfo or other outputs)

Ahh, thanks for that Martijn - would you have any advice on the best cap values to use on this device?
FetidEye
you'll have to experiment. from 47nF to 4.7uF
http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm
if you make a simple lowpass or highpass filter you can change the shape of the modulating LFO

example:

lowpass filter
R1 = 4k7 (try 1k to 100k)
C1 = 100nF

set lfo type to saw (left or right position of the 'type' switch
set LFO range to the right

patch the lfo into the filter
gnd of the filter to gnd on the 3trinsRGB-1c
output of the filter to red channel (RCV) input on the 3trinsRGB-1c

result = wavy modulation (like waves on the ocean)
Not as sharp as normal

with a 47nF capacitor you get a smooth zorro "Z"
270nF gives a pointy wave

If you modulate the RSync, you can remove the high pitch lines and get smoother curves

With a highpass filter you can get other lfo waves too, or filter out all the lower frequency to get more detailled modulation (when modulating the sync by example)
FetidEye
stack filters to get even more results! w00t
Cobramatic
SlayerBadger! That's awesome - thanks so much for the tips.
Look forward to trying those out.

With your Triple Comparator and a few of these little 'preset program cards' the 3trins is an amazingly versatile and capable video synth - in such a small, cost effective package too - Really really good!
Guinness ftw!
Dirty_Bill
FetidEye wrote:
stack filters to get even more results! w00t

Thanks for hopping in Martijn! I just used random values from my parts box, easy to prototype by inserting leads into the patch bay...
sebiiksbcs
Brilliant idea!

Then you might as well try this: (to keep yourself from going crazy trying to keep track which wires you have to solder for your preset, resolder them in case you want to change your preset, and/or have some of them them fall apart a minute before your show)

Inspired by your idea, I tried this:

I glued two of those empty 20-pin headers together to match the 3trins' header length

But wouldn't recommend it because meh. Quite the fiddly work removing all those shells, as is removing wires from your preset header in case you want to change things. The advantage of this header type is it's easier to place and remove though, and connections stay in place more securely.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1